“Relaxed and enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Chigwell, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Nice range of dishes and well presented and cooked. One of our favourites when visiting the island. Standard menu is good and the specials board presents a wife choice. Good beer selection.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Terrible food & pub owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Long wait for food, poor quality food, not cooked to a reasonable standard, very expensive for what it is. Very rude lady (? owner). She needs to learn some manners, but obviously doesn't care about the pub or her service (judging by other reviews I've just read). They need to look into the quality of the food they're serving & adjust the price accordingly. I don't think the owner enjoys running the pub & should leave. Beautiful pub & garden and just needs new management. I notice they never comment on any of the reviews, so are not interested in making any improvement.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Quite nice Sunday lunch ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Happened across this place while we were out pottering one Sunday lunchtime. The staff weren't particularly welcoming or helpful (we watched one chap stand at the bar for a good 5 mins while being totally ignored by the waitresses and the woman we took to be the owner)
The food was very nice though, and plenty of it - but definitely not a cheap option!

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting for a country pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a lovely setting for a country pub, right in the heart of the village, with a stream running through the garden, stocked with trout.

The pub is welcoming with log fires, and the food is typical traditional pub grub. We thought the food was reasonably priced for what it was, and it's always good to see Peroni and San Miguel on draught, but £2.50 for a large glass of lemonade is way over the top.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport, United Kingdom
“Nice setting and grounds, but the rude/abrupt owner made us feelt un-welcome...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had always heard good things about this pub but never been in ourselves. Finally had the opportunity today (08-12-13) on our way back from spending the morning at Brighstone Christmas tree festival, which was a great *free* morning :-).

We arrived about midday and there was plenty of parking, we walked across a footbridge over the stream and into the garden, kids (6 & 8yrs) loved the fish and ducks. We went in and walked around the bar, which is in the middle of the building, through seating areas in various rooms all around. At the opposite end of the building we found a nice room close to the bar an a welcoming open fire. We ordered coffee and hot chocolate from the barmaid and then the experience changed.

Sat on a table behind us were a man and a woman both watching us while looking over their newspapers. The woman then piped up "There's more space for the pram on the other side of the building". I was somewhat taken back and I didn't even respond. I couldn't believe that I was being told where I could sit... I don't know if it was because of the kids, the baby, suppose I'll never know. I was still trying to work out what authority this woman had to designate me a location when she said "menus are on the tables and the specials board is over there". I just looked at my wife and she looked back at me knowingly; we would no longer be eating here. The woman made a further comment "the radiators are all on and you'll be just as warm over there".

I would normally have just upped and left at this point but I was probably in shock. I felt like saying "who the hell are you to tell me I can't sit in front of the fire?". It soon became apparent that the woman was in fact the owner or manager as she then stood up said something to the barmaid and offered to carry my drinks over to our table!!! What a cheek!

We did glance over the menu and it all looked only slightly overpriced for a pub. A tenner for a pizza, eight-fifty for a burger, sixteen for a steak... Anyway, as we felt so un-welcome, and we were now sat in a cold dingy corner away from everyone else, we decided to go home for lunch.

Shame the nice location, garden, and outdoors kids play area is ruined by the management. We won't be going back there again.

• Visited December 2013