“a slice of paradise” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Club Paradise Palawan

Save Saved
You added Club Paradise Palawan to your Saves list
Club Paradise Palawan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dimakya Island, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Coron
Canada
“a slice of paradise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I went with my son and his wife in Dec 2012 for 3 days and 2 nights. Overall, we had a wonderful time being reunited, and Club Paradise seemed to be the perfect place for it. The kids snorkelled for the first time with a guide from the hotel which gave them that extra bit of security. Unfortunately, no dugongs nor sea turtles, which I thought, from the description on their website, were right on the premises. This being sea turtle hatching time, and there being a sanctuary as described, there were no hatchlings or semblance of any attempts to save them (I had just come back from the Pawikan Conservation in Morong, Bataan, so was quite excited to see that this place was also a sanctuary - so it said). So this was a little disappointing for me personally.

That being said - the place is idyllic. The island really is a slice of paradise. My daughter-in-law said the photos and descriptions do not do the place justice. But - it is better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed!!! Yes, there is a (private) bus ride from the airport, yes there is a very very peaceful (private) boat ride through the mangroves, and then out to sea. We were always accompanied by hotel staff, who gave us sandwiches and drinks on the boat. The 1 - 1.5 hrs to get to the hotel was worth it.

The staff were very pleasant and polite, and their training shone through. Friendly enough but not too friendly nor familiar. It was a good balance. I had questions about a couple of billing matters, and they bent over backwards to try and solve them which I appreciated.

Upon reading reviews, I also read drinks were expensive. It was ok - unless you want to drink a lot. But for a couple of drinks a day, it was fine. Although I found that they did not really have knowledge of their wines even though there was an extensive wine list.

I was a little bit unnerved by the welcome upon arrival on the island though. I've been to a lot of resorts in the Caribbean. So I am comparing this to those resorts. We got off the boat, walked through the beach to the building, and were a bit hurried through even though we just wanted to take in the magnificence of the wide expanse of white sand and turquoise blue waters. Then when we 7 from the boat were gathered, the group of musicians started to play, and we saw 7 glasses of something tropical strategically placed on the table, evenly spaced out. We had to stand there (uncomfortable) while they played their welcome song and the staff came out to greet us with a cheer (unnerving for a place so quiet and idyllic). Then we were allowed to drink our drinks while we registered. That was fine. But usually one is offered a drink upon arrival and not made to wait. The rambunctiousness of the welcome song scared me a bit, because it gave the essence of a party place and I was not there for that. Thankfully, that was the only form of noise and partying during our stay - but it didn't fit in with the whole essence of the place.

Meals were ok - some better than others. It was always a buffet, so one can never get that freshness - esp with wonderful fresh seafood - in a buffet. It would be better if only breakfast (and perhaps lunch) was a buffet, and then one can order a la carte at night for dinner. Crabs always during lunch (but we also found out that one of the owner's friends was there during our stay - so I'm not sure if that is always the case), fresh fish both at lunch and dinner, and a variety of meats, salads, desserts. We found out we missed the roast beef BBQ on the beach which they had the night before we arrived. The variety was there. Coffee at breakfast was decent too!!!

As to our rooms, we got a tour package for an island view room. I wanted a beach villa, but we were told by the travel agent there were none available, and the island view room has a view of the lagoon and were very nice. We found out there WERE beach villas available, but wanted to see our island view room first. It was a bit far away from the main club house, and you need to climb several steps which didn't appeal to me at night or after a long day of snorkelling etc. And although it was supposed to be facng the lagoon, it was overgrown with beautiful trees and couldn't see the lagoon (which by the way, you wouldn't want to see anyway). I just felt a bit claustrophobic, and they gave us adjoining rooms, which when travelling with honeymooners, you don't want that. So we upgraded to 2 beach villas - one on my own, and one for the honeymooners at the far end of the bay. So much better, BUT I couldn't open the windows to let any fresh air in and therefore had to keep the air conditioner on all the time which I didn't really want to do. I did, however, spend a LOT of time on my private hammock on my private deck, with a view of the water. I also had my own private beach area with my own private lounge chairs and cushions. Really very very nice.

We met a couple who asked us about our rooms because they said their island view room smelled musty and moldy. So they also upgraded but to the other side of the island.

Be forewarned that they charge for an upgrade by the person, and not by the room. I questionned this because a person is not going to eat double the food (we had already paid for our meals with the island view room) nor use double the towels. They did give me a slight discount.

This and another incident just caused a bit of bad vibes, especially when one of the staff told me that I got a great deal on our rooms. I then felt they were trying to nickel and dime me to get me to what I should have paid for. But they also did something about the 2nd incident. It was just not pleasant to go through at the time, especially when trying to relax. And that kind of comment should not be made!!! So what if I got a good deal - then it was my luck!!!!

The island hopping to the Coron I discovered last March 2012 was not readily available since this island is quite far from the Town of Coron itself (another 1.5 hour travel time) and those beautiful islands within 15 minutes of the Town of Coron. And it was quite expensive in addition to being a full day. One did not have a choice of taking half a day island hopping to "THE" islands of Coron since it is quite far away.

Snorkelling on the house reef was ok. We did see a turtle and the giant clam, and a school of fish surrounded us and circled around us which was beautiful to see. But nothing like the island hopping swimming and snorkelling. We just stayed on the island to avail of the beauty of the island itself and the services.

3 or 4 days on this beautiful island would be enough, then go to the Town of Coron for another 3 days.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the island view rooms! Get a beach villa if you can. The little hike was nice - off...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Beautiful location, excellent service. It is perfect place to relax and even with big groups of guests it did not feel crowded. We stayed on a sunset beach cottage and it was wonderful! Great snorkeling right off the beach. Food was plentiful and with variety. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Spent the holidays with my family in this lovely place. Everything was perfect—our room, the food, and the way the staff went out of their way to make us feel the Christmas spirit (there were parties, activities for kids, etc.) The beach was the most beautiful I've ever seen, and that says a lot, since I've been living in the Philippines all my life and have seen a number of beautiful beaches. Club Paradise is highly recommend, especially over the holidays!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Before I stepped on this exclusive island resort, I thought that all that I had heard and read about it was all hype and excessive advertising. Besides, it's a bit expensive compared with other resorts. But if you want real value for your money in a very private place where you would want to unwind and relax, this is the place. Every peso is worth it.

To be frank, I went here on off season rates because their cut off for off season is end of October. So I went there mid-October to avail of their promo rates which is almost half of the peak season rates which begin November till July. I also took the risk because October is often still rainy season when storms still come wreaking damage to Luzon and Visayas as what happened during Typhoon Ondoy. But usually when there are typhoons and rains in Luzon, Palawan is spared, so we had good weather during our stay there.

Wow. The place is an isolated, exclusive island paradise that deserves its name. You are met on the island by a group of serenading musicians and receptionists who offer you a welcome drink. All their meals from breakfast up to dinner are all buffet, and what a wide range of food they have for every meal that will accommodate practically all nationalities. You will be toured around the whole island (it is part of the package) up to a mountain where you can view the entire island resort from a tower at the peak. It has complete facilities, kayaking, a spa with great massage, and you can even join a group for diving lessons (this is extra). I am usually very discriminating about beach resorts, but its cottages are excellent, especially the ones located along the beach. Here you will experience the quiet and serene atmosphere unlike is most hyped and commercialized beaches where you get the feeling that a part of Ermita in Manila was just relocated along a beach with all the noise and crowd. No wonder, some European couples I met come here every year, during October.
But Club Paradise is also a good place to meet friends from other countries and chat in this quiet paradise in northern Busuanga, Palawan.
What else can I say ? Thumbs up!

Room Tip: Cottages along the beach are the best. Each one has a porch balcony in front where you can enjoy the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This location is fabulous. Idyllic white sand beaches, cool ocean breezes, magnificent views of distant mountains and other islands, hidden beaches, stunning sunsets (complete with squadrons of fruit bats departing for their nocturnal adventures), excellent snorkeling right off the beach.

Excellent service!

The buffets were OK, but the real treat was having the chef prepare some special requests (grilled local fish, Laing, Bicol Espres, and chicken inasal) complete with cooking lessons.

Room was a bungalow. Clean, air conditioned and right on the beach. Very nice.

It was one of the most expensive hotels of the trip, however given it's remoteness and quality of location and service, and by "resort" standards, it was a fair value. But expect to pay hansomely for your rooms, food and beverages.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are the way to go.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This resort is located on the small island of Dimakya in North Palawan. The beaches are of white, fine sand, the water is clear and turquoise-blue. The center of the island is pristine hills and bush/forest with plenty of wildlife, to be explored on a small hiking trail which ends at an observation tower at the highest point of the island, offering a magnificent 360° view of the neighboring islands.
This is a first class eco-tourism resort under German management, very clean, very well managed, luxurious in very subtle way, everything is cared for and so many things are offered if you wish to do so.
There are several shops, a spa, several bars, restaurant, library, dive center, etc. I guess diving is one of the main attractions of Club Paradise, offering everything from basic diving at the beautiful house reef to advanced technical diving in caves and wrecks.
The food is fantastic, huge variety, superb quality and served in a buffet style, poolside or next to the beach in a breathtaking setting depending on requests or just to surprise you. Normal man or super rich, everybody is treated like a king, no dress code, very casual atmosphere, total relaxation.
The staff is very skilled, very attentive and usually recruited from local areas and also a lot of hospitality students completing their on the job training. A Filipino guitar trio provide a romantic atmosphere at various occasions, e.g. dinner.
The spirit of the resort is to preserve flora and fauna, marine protection and research and education of the local population in environment preservation and to deliver a first class holiday experience on a stunning little tropical island. We stayed in a seaview bungalow near the water which was just beautiful, fully a/c, fantastic bed, etc. Enough writing, I could go on and on...
10/10 for me, highly recommended, one of the best holidays of my life. See you guys next year! Thank you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It must be one of the most beautiful islands I have stayed at, Im talking about beautiful blue water and clean white sand. You can go snorkeling a few feet (NOT METERS) away from the shore and see everything come alive! The sunsets here are breathtaking, the sky turns into a plethora of colors not to mention the fantastic sight of thousands of bats crossing through at 6pm (sharp!) to leave their caves and go hunting perhaps.

The rooms and service though- those are different stories, the rooms are so so, quite old and a little moldy for the asking price during summer. The food is just okay, I expected there to be fresh seafood and grilled fish ( they barely had this in the menu, only one night!), for a pricey resort, I expected better food.

but all this was overshadowed by the marvelous NATURAL wonders of Dimakya Island and Coron in itself!

I would definitely come back, and next time to dive with the dugongs!!! :) I went diving here with their resident turtle- so friendly. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Club Paradise Palawan? Share your experiences!