We, eerrrr...I strongly picked the hotel based on the reviews of previous guests plus the fact that it is just a new hotel that recently openned last Dec.2012 (that I gathered from the previous reviews of this hotel.)
Upon check-in, the staff seemed fine (of course you can't see where the weakness considering you have to bear with the 30 minutes or even more, transfer from the Busuanga Airport to Coron Town.) Welcome drinks served, that's cool!
Now here are the things travellers should know:
1. Hotel Restaurant = good food is served BUT THE FOOD SERVERS ARE NOT YET WELL TRAINED. YOU HAVE TO REPEAT YOUR ORDERS. THE SIMPLEST THING LIKE PUTTING A TABLE NAPKIN AND TABLE CLOTH, IT'S OBVIOUS THEY DON'T CARE AT ALL. This morning, I even had to get it to make it fast and simple while we were having breakfast.
2. Reception = the poorest service ever! The Receptionist on duty didn't even inform what time breakfast is served. Upon check-in, she must have seen we paid including breakfast too. We waited to be advised but none! So on our 4th day, we brought it up and after long discussion, we were given a consumable PHP900 in the hotel restaurant covering the breakfast for 3 days minus that of the 1st day where we arrived past 10AM (by the way we learned after inquiring that breakfast is served from 6am-10am). So on our day 5, we availed our breakfast and instructing the receptionist on duty to inform the kitchen to prepare it after choosing the menu. I didn't instruct for a room service and that's for ssure but we were seated long time and even told that we did call earlier but still no food is served. Why? The receptionist instructed the kitchen that it is a room service! So the poor kitchen staff carried all the weight of the food to our room and back to where we were patiently seated, waiting for the breakfast to be served.
3. Hotel Manager = A French man. He seemed to be nice but a mere look at him could tell he doesn't exudes "authority" so that must be the rason of the poor hotel service??? The hotel is selling it's services so even if it is just a newly openned hotel, training must be continuous to the hotel staff. The Reception Area must be manned by customer service orriented staff. But how come the simplest instruction cannot be well taken care of?
FYI: THE HOTEL OWNER IS NOT AROUND. WHOEVER THAT PERSON IS OR IT MUST BE OWNERS IF OPERATED BYA CORPORATION? ERGO, EVERYTHING IS A RESPONSIBLE OF THE HOTEL MANAGER.
4. Hotel Room = nice! But there is no refrigerators in all rooms even if the same is mentioned in their offers thru Agoda.com. The airconditioning unit is not so good but there is a ceiling fan that hardly gives good ventilation.
5. Maintenance = what the [--]! Beside our room, the staff without even checking if there is occupants next to the wall he is drilling just did so! We were startled with the disturbing sound and I thought the ceiling fan is about to fall on us!!! I got up and saw that they were fixing something in the adjoining room. I informed the reception area and they barely said "sorry!" so I went out again to lodge my complain in person to the receptionist on duty and I looked fro the Hotel Manager. The staff were simply not alarmed by the fact that a guest is going to complain to the hote manager; I never saw it in their faces as if it is just a normal occurence to get complaints from guests. When at last I am face to face with the French Hotel Manager, he said immediately ah your from room no..... and you did order for room service for breakfast. What??? So I cleared to him that I didn't but your receptionist can poorly carry on a very simple instruction to simply infrom the kitchen of our choice for breakfast so they can prepare it without hurrying. In short it is an advance call if she is aware of that term. Where on earth the hotel staff where trained from? Are they degree holders? But even if they are only high school graduates, the thing is, THEY MUST BE WELL TRAINED! AND THEY MUST BE ALWAYS AWARE IN SERVING AND ATTENDING TO THE HOTEL GUESTS WITH SENSE OF COURTESY AND WITH SUPERB CUSTOMER SERVICE LEAST IT WILL CERTAINLY AFFECT THE FLOCK OF GUESTS COMING TO THE HOTEL.
Note: WIFI access is free but ask for the security password. The internet connection sometimes is good but often not.
Moral lesson? It is still best to book hotels that are operating long time rather than in a newly openned hotel.
The CORON, PALAWAN vacation is almost perfect except the choice of hotel that we made. And it is very important to have a great hotel so you can enjoy the whole vacation.
I must say though that visiting Coron, Palawan is a must!!! Just be very, very, very extra careful what hotel or place you are to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Corto del Mar hotel is located in the heart of Coron town on the island of Busuanga in the north of Palawan. The hotel and its 32 bedrooms and suites have been decorated with taste and character giving the hotel a unique blend of Mediterranean and Filipino feel. With beautiful views over Coron Island, it's a great place to go explore the gems around whether on banka or motorbike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Corto del Mar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Corto Del Mar Hotel Coron, Palawan Island