“Be Forwarned! Beautiful It Seems... But needs to improve "CUSTOMER SERVICE"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Corto del Mar Hotel

You added Corto del Mar Hotel to your Saves list
Corto del Mar Hotel
Comeseria Street | Barangay 1, Palawan Island 5316, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coron
Northern Samar 6408
“Be Forwarned! Beautiful It Seems... But needs to improve "CUSTOMER SERVICE"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We, eerrrr...I strongly picked the hotel based on the reviews of previous guests plus the fact that it is just a new hotel that recently openned last Dec.2012 (that I gathered from the previous reviews of this hotel.)

Upon check-in, the staff seemed fine (of course you can't see where the weakness considering you have to bear with the 30 minutes or even more, transfer from the Busuanga Airport to Coron Town.) Welcome drinks served, that's cool!

Now here are the things travellers should know:

1. Hotel Restaurant = good food is served BUT THE FOOD SERVERS ARE NOT YET WELL TRAINED. YOU HAVE TO REPEAT YOUR ORDERS. THE SIMPLEST THING LIKE PUTTING A TABLE NAPKIN AND TABLE CLOTH, IT'S OBVIOUS THEY DON'T CARE AT ALL. This morning, I even had to get it to make it fast and simple while we were having breakfast.

2. Reception = the poorest service ever! The Receptionist on duty didn't even inform what time breakfast is served. Upon check-in, she must have seen we paid including breakfast too. We waited to be advised but none! So on our 4th day, we brought it up and after long discussion, we were given a consumable PHP900 in the hotel restaurant covering the breakfast for 3 days minus that of the 1st day where we arrived past 10AM (by the way we learned after inquiring that breakfast is served from 6am-10am). So on our day 5, we availed our breakfast and instructing the receptionist on duty to inform the kitchen to prepare it after choosing the menu. I didn't instruct for a room service and that's for ssure but we were seated long time and even told that we did call earlier but still no food is served. Why? The receptionist instructed the kitchen that it is a room service! So the poor kitchen staff carried all the weight of the food to our room and back to where we were patiently seated, waiting for the breakfast to be served.

3. Hotel Manager = A French man. He seemed to be nice but a mere look at him could tell he doesn't exudes "authority" so that must be the rason of the poor hotel service??? The hotel is selling it's services so even if it is just a newly openned hotel, training must be continuous to the hotel staff. The Reception Area must be manned by customer service orriented staff. But how come the simplest instruction cannot be well taken care of?

FYI: THE HOTEL OWNER IS NOT AROUND. WHOEVER THAT PERSON IS OR IT MUST BE OWNERS IF OPERATED BYA CORPORATION? ERGO, EVERYTHING IS A RESPONSIBLE OF THE HOTEL MANAGER.

4. Hotel Room = nice! But there is no refrigerators in all rooms even if the same is mentioned in their offers thru Agoda.com. The airconditioning unit is not so good but there is a ceiling fan that hardly gives good ventilation.

5. Maintenance = what the [--]! Beside our room, the staff without even checking if there is occupants next to the wall he is drilling just did so! We were startled with the disturbing sound and I thought the ceiling fan is about to fall on us!!! I got up and saw that they were fixing something in the adjoining room. I informed the reception area and they barely said "sorry!" so I went out again to lodge my complain in person to the receptionist on duty and I looked fro the Hotel Manager. The staff were simply not alarmed by the fact that a guest is going to complain to the hote manager; I never saw it in their faces as if it is just a normal occurence to get complaints from guests. When at last I am face to face with the French Hotel Manager, he said immediately ah your from room no..... and you did order for room service for breakfast. What??? So I cleared to him that I didn't but your receptionist can poorly carry on a very simple instruction to simply infrom the kitchen of our choice for breakfast so they can prepare it without hurrying. In short it is an advance call if she is aware of that term. Where on earth the hotel staff where trained from? Are they degree holders? But even if they are only high school graduates, the thing is, THEY MUST BE WELL TRAINED! AND THEY MUST BE ALWAYS AWARE IN SERVING AND ATTENDING TO THE HOTEL GUESTS WITH SENSE OF COURTESY AND WITH SUPERB CUSTOMER SERVICE LEAST IT WILL CERTAINLY AFFECT THE FLOCK OF GUESTS COMING TO THE HOTEL.

Note: WIFI access is free but ask for the security password. The internet connection sometimes is good but often not.

Moral lesson? It is still best to book hotels that are operating long time rather than in a newly openned hotel.

The CORON, PALAWAN vacation is almost perfect except the choice of hotel that we made. And it is very important to have a great hotel so you can enjoy the whole vacation.

I must say though that visiting Coron, Palawan is a must!!! Just be very, very, very extra careful what hotel or place you are to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After searching for comfortable place to stay in Coron town weeks before our trip, I think we had the best decision that we booked in this hotel. All the staff were accommodating from the time I started booking thru calls and e-mails until we got there and finished our 4-day stay. They attended to our queries and needs and made hassle-free booking for our island tours. The hotel has very good details from the floor up to the ceiling. I specially liked the wood furnishings and wall decors made up of the best kinds of wood they can get here in the Philippines. The deluxe room assigned to us was very comparable to the other 4 to 5-star hotel rooms in Manila. For the food, quite pricy but no question with the taste because all that were served to us really filled well our palates (I really liked the American and Filipino breakfast choices). Except for some minor details that I think they should improve on (the bed is a little hard for me; maybe providing toothpaste and toothbrush is not too much; leaf droppings in the pool should be removed regularly), I can say the hotel is really great. I will definitely recommend this to my friends. Can't wait to book again, soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel was recommended by a friend and I have to say the place was great, we were a little disappointed with the menu, which is the only reason I would not say excellent. Being a french owned resort was not shown by the lack of choices of food but I am sure this will change soon as the place has only just opened. The staff were all very nice and helpful, the restaurant manager a very good front man can only work with the materials given and I am sure the distance from quality produce can not help. Coron town its self? Well I hope its success opens doors to a transformation, looks like there are things in progress.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is by far the best hotel in Coron town, also the biggest. Surveying the other hotels in the town proper, i think this is the only hotel that provides really good facilities. It has some points to improve on, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best hotel on the main island.
The GOOD:
1. Their pools are really nice to swim in especially after a day of swimming in sea water, helps to get all the salt off your body. Other hotels in the town proper don't seem to have any pools, or if they did, would probably be too small.
2. Good sized rooms. We were a group of 3. The room was spacious enough for all of us.
3. The airconditioning is awesome. They use industrial ceiling type aircons that i usually just see in establishments like starbucks or at a mall.
4. The standard room had a very nice rain shower!
5. Loved the 4-cheese pizza at the restaurant.
6. Filling breakfast. I was able to sample the tapa, which was soft and yummy!
7. Great location. Far enough from the center of the town (which is the market area), but close enough to walk to any place you might need to go to. It took me 5-10 minutes to walk to the town center.

The ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
1. When I entered the bathroom, it kinda smelled moldy. I think its because of lack of ventilation in the bathroom. This would easily be solved if the management would put a dehumidifier of some sort.
2. The shower area clogged up quickly whenever i took a shower.
3. Would be nice if there was a table and some chairs in the balcony for guests to hang out.
4. On our second day, one of the towels had 2 spots of rust on it. But everything else is clean.
5. No meat pizza. All of the pizza flavors were either seafood or hawaiian or chorizo (which i dont fancy). Loved the 4-cheese though.
6. The staff were not in uniform. One time my companion mistook a guest for a staff member. I think the guest got offended. Lol.
7. There were spots on the pool tiles, looked like dirt.

All in all, i would love to come back to this hotel. Hopefully, by then, the place has gotten even better. :)

Room Tip: We just got a standard room without a view of the bay. This was worth it because the whole time in C...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you want to stay in the best (I repeat, the BEST) hotel in Coron, look no further. Me and my girlfriend, we did our research on hotels, we visited each one the first day we got to Coron and nothing come even close to Corto del Mar.
The level of details, the way how the hotel was build, the place (on the edge of fisherman village), everything is beyond the expectations we had.
We arrived for one night only as were not able to book more over the internet. They were all booked out, but the hotel managers were extremely helpful and they were able to get us the room for whole stay.
The sea view rooms are superb, with the view overlooking the village, sea and the Coron Island. Staff is super friendly, hotel managers are always around and up for chat, they know the island so everything you want to know, just ask them.
There is just so much positive things to write about this place, go see for your self, trust the reviews and you can`t go wrong.

Michal and Veronika (Australia)

Room Tip: definitely the sea view rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Having researched alot of accomodation in Coron Town prior to our trip, it came as no surprise when I booked Corto Del Mar. Not only was it good value for money, the hotel was beautifully designed, brand new, extremely well maintained and already had raving reviews.
Nicky and Herve took care of all our worries when it came to our tours, transfers and last minute problems with cancelled domestic flights leaving us stranded at the airport. We were first to request overnight accomodation at this hotel again, after we had such a wonderful and comfortable stay there the first time round.
The restaraunt menu had so much variety we didn't think twice about going into town for dinner, seafood was extremely fresh and purchased every morning at the wet market. The drink menu, particularly the special cocktail recommendations by Dominic and Ed was fantastic, best we had in Palawan.
I would also recommend you book your tours through the front desk, we spent 2 days on a beach resort after and found that tours booked through Corto Del Mar were ALOT more affordable and extremely well organized.
I have never put in the effort to write a review before, but this hotel was such a standout and deserves all the credit it can get! Thankyou team for making our trip so memorable!
Trang and Daniel

• Stayed April 2013
manille
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I want to share our experienced in Corto del Mar Hotel in Coron. We spent our one week vacation there with my husband and our friends joined us for 4 days to discover this hotel and most especially for diving. This hotel is very unique, nice and clean, beautiful swimming pool, the staff are very approachable. The food here is very good, The breakfast is complete. The Manager of this hotel, named Patrick and the assistant manager, named Herve, they are both very kind and very accommodating to us.

It's our first time to discover Coron, Palawan. We are all happy and enjoyed of our vacations.

Philippe and Juliet

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Corto del Mar Hotel? Share your experiences!