“value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coron Backpacker Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coron
Coron Backpacker Guesthouse
You added Coron Backpacker Guesthouse to your Saves list
Coron-Busuanga Road, Palawan Island 5316, Philippines   |
Ranked #6 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Coron
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

my sister and I just spent 5 nights at Coron Backpackers. the staff are very friendly, the girls were always full of smiles and they kept the place spotlessly clean.
this is a traditional Philippines style house, so you get the noise and character of the place that matches this.

our complaint is there was no wifi or tv as advertised, this was probably due to European owner who does not want to spend any money to fix things after the typhoon. all other businesses in town seem to have these things fixed but not here.

however the price was right at 500 peso for a room for 2, and the location is in the centre of town.

Room Tip: some rooms inside might be larger than the outside room we had, but it was fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days.
The staff are very accommodating.
The bed is huge enough for one person.
Wifi is readily available.
The price is budget-friendly
The location is very accessible to the restaurants and just a ride a way from Maquinit hotspring and walking distance from different travel agencies where you can book your island hopping tour and the likes.
They have a kitten named Bambi which is so cute. ;)

Room Tip: Since it is located at a residential area, noise is inevitable, but the hospitality and friendliness...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited just after the typhoon in November 2013 when there was no electricity so our stay was a little more rustic than usual. Nevertheless, the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and look after us. The kitchen is a great addition and we cooked some awesome meals - the market is a 5 minute walk away. The communal area also makes it really easy to meet other travellers. It was also interesting to stay right in the middle of a local neighbourhood, reached on a walkway on stilts over the water. The only downside to this place is the noise - expect to be woken up at first light as the neighbourhood wakes up around you! Still, great value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hsipaw, Myanmar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I know Ate Sabel already killed me in the head for this is long overdue but I just wanna share my amazing experience staying with them at this guesthouse last summer. Traveling back to the Philippines became super wonderful with the hospitality they've extended to me and my friends. I spent about a week exploring Coron and Culion and Palawan and this guesthouse was the most fun. I stayed in a room for about $12/ night and was allowed to do my own laundry. Their neighbors could get a bit noisy in the morning but I got used to it. I shared some really nice moments with the staff and even had a Manager's Night Party where we their guests provided some food and engaged on some fun games. It was an international group so it was hilarious. Most of the time they invited me to share some time with them or have a talk over morning coffee- and it was free including water. Guests could also cook if they want to. I'd love to back ASAP!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pangasinan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Price per room is cheap and worth it with all room having common toilet and shower. Cooking utensils are free to use as well as condiments. They also have free unlimited coffee available.

What I just didn't like about the place is that the front of the guesthouse serves as the passageway of all locals living at the back area of the place. Also, since the walls are made of native materials and are not concrete, you can hear murmurs of people chatting from other rooms. Electricity was also interrupted for about 15 minutes during my visit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for a few nights. Bed is comfortable. Sheets smell good, which reminds me of a fabric conditioner.

Assigned a room with no windows. During low tide, unpleasant smell permeated my room that I was awakened a few times during my stay, but I guess this is mainly due to the location of the neighborhood (houses on stilts above the sea) and the unsealed type of flooring. I was aware of this before my trip, reading other reviews from this site, but I was wrong to think it wouldn't bother me much.

This may not be a place for lightsleepers or those who would like to sleep in as morning noise from the neighbors' daily activity starts early. Also, walls are thin that I heard guests' conversations from other rooms.

Wi-Fi was unfortunately unavailable for the most part of my stay. Technician came in and this was fixed on my last 24 hours in the guesthouse.

Staff are helpful and kind. They even prepared a big, delicious dinner for another guest and I during my last night. However, I witnessed an opportunity for improvement: I thought it's not cool when a non-Filipino-speaking guest was made fun of by a member of the staff. The guest was around at the time and had no clue what's going on.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

So it was late august when we arrived at coron by boat from el-nido. Some weird Tuk Tuk was trying to sell us a hotel and we just remembered that we read somewhere about the coron backpackers. Honestly the price was the first thing that had drawn us there. The coron backpackers is a home abroad, a nice living room with TV and a kitchen for your use and you even get your place in the fridge. We'll we are a couple so we got a double sized bed and it was clean and cosy the toilet is shared with all the house but it's very clean and maintained.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Coron Backpacker Guesthouse? Share your experiences!