“Best pension house in Coron, Palawan” 5 of 5 stars

Ralph's Pension House Coron
#172 National Highway, Barangay III, Poblacion, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Coron
antipolo
“Best pension house in Coron, Palawan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a last minute reservation for our hotel accommodation last week and I'm so glad to have speak with Kuya Jun, owner of Ralphs Pension House. At first, I was just inquiring about the rate, but kuya Jun, the owner, is so accommodating and friendly as if we already known each other which makes me decide to reserve a room for us and cancel our reservation in Mt. Tapyas Hotel.
I have read some reviews about the pension house, but we are willing to take the risk..anyway, we can transfer anytime if we're not comfortable with the room and service but as we arrived in the pension house, all the negative reviews that i read makes me realized that you really have to witnessed something in person before you judge. The house is so clean, our room is small but we love the bed because its so big and comfortable.The owner, Kuya Jun, ate Doll and the staff were so friendly and hospitable. They even gave us a surprise anniversary treat with matching greeting card and a yummy cake..really, our stay in Coron is one of the best tour we ever had. Im so thankful that i met kuya Jun, we will definitely go back in Ralphs Pension House..nothing compare with the service and the friendship that you will gain in staying in this hotel. I already recommend this to my friends who love to travel and stay in a very affordable but comfortable hotel.

Room Tip: for couples, its best to stay in room near the garden..really love the ambiance.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Booking: relatively painless; however, i was definitely a bit skeptic booking from overseas especially because they required 50% downpayment/reservation fee and all we get was an email confirmation from dolly/jun versus an official receipt; communication was petty seamless as well, and dolly/jun seemed very accommodating as we were negotiating the price/accommodation

Arrival at the airport: our van was waiting for us upon our arrival; although we had to wait for a few more passengers, we had no complaints as this was expected of shuttle services

Hotel check-in: the hosts made us wait in the "lobby" area with a glass of orange juice until our rooms were ready

Room: super small/tight, but that would have been okay if everything else was great, but NO. Walls had stains, covers and blankets ha stains, towels had stains in addition to being wet/moist, and they're supposed to be "new" and "clean" :( the bathroom was a bit tight, which would have been okay, too, if the shower and water heater worked and if the busted light was replaced. But, no :(

Excursions: we managed to book two day-trips--1) kayangan lake, banol beach, twin lagoon, twin peaks,  and siyete pecados and 2) malcapuya beach, banana islands and bulog dos

Absolutely appreciated our bankeros! They were so nice to us. Kuya Gilbert and the other Kuya were very patient with our questions and did very well as tour guides. We had them for both days, and I think we would have been just as fine with them two without the additional tour guide they added to our trip. He talked too much, in my opinion. Day one was pretty good, but we had to skip twin lagoon because of the weather. Day two was also good if not for the choppy waves. I was surprised jun/dolly allowed us to set sail given the weather conditions, but we trusted them enough to go with it. All I knew was that our bangkeros would keep us safe.

What frustrated me the most was not getting a refund for the bulog dos entrance, which we skipped due to weather conditions. Everybody knows that entrance fees were only collected if we set foot on the island, so you can only guess where our 200php went. It's really not about the price, but it's all about treating your clients right and fairly.

Massage: on our last night, we wanted to relax and unwind, so upon their recommendation, we opted for the in-house massage service. Bad idea! Our masseuse never came. We would have been better off going next door!

Location of the pension house was good overall--close to mount tapyas, to the market and to the bangkas; the food was okay except on the first day when I couldn't recognize what we were served; their "supervisor" was mostly the one who kept us feel welcomed throughout our stay. Dolly/jun were only good to us while we were making our reservations via email. As soon as we got there, they could not have cared less. They would not even face us as we expressed our concerns about the room, the bathroom, the excursion, the massage, etc.

If you have a choice, shop around before booking with Ralph's pension house and go where you'll get your money's worth.

• Stayed December 2011
makati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THE COMMENT made by Lorna and other guests who had stayed in Ralph's house. I can attest to this because we also had a bad experience when we stayed there - dirty and smelly bed linens, small and dirty rooms, no welcome drinks, no available coffee. The only good thing about this place is their location - NOTHING MORE!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We Stayed at the hotel during our long Honeymoon trip in Philippines (Palawan). The hotel is a nice small place located the center of Coron town, but th twon is very small as well. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There are nice expensive places in the town and the area, if you want more fancy places, but if you want good laid back place and many young travelers, this is the place for you. The manager Oscar and his lovely wife helped us organize all the activities along with useful advices. Bottom line, if you are looking for a good, not expensive place with nice atmosphere, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The rooms in the top floor are small, but very quite.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I've read the review in the site about the place, and at the beginning I was a bit skeptic about the place. But what made the difference was the Owner.
We Stayed at the hotel during our trip to Palawan and the surrounding area. The hotel is a lovely place located at the center of Coron town, in the city center (although the town is very small and verything is close to everything). The rooms were clean and comfortble. The hotel has a nice rooftop restaurant and an inner chill zone. Although you can find a nice expensive places in the town and the area, if you are looking for homey place with good atmosphere, and many young travelers, this is the place for you. The best thing about the hotel is the owner Oscar (and his lovely wife). He helped us plan our trip in the area, and find good deals in town. He also had many good and useful recommandations which made our trip much better then we planed. I would certenly recommand the hotel for my friend, and hope I'll be able to visit again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the top floor are the best. Don;t stay in the rooms which are on the street (on the gro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I loved my trip to Coron. It's such a beautiful place, but do not stay in Ralph's Pension house.

They have very disrespectful staff members, one actually raised her voice on me. I could not believe it. They served us breakfast for 3 days. 2 out of the 3, I had hair on my food, disgusting. On our second day, there was no water in our bathroom. On our third day, the aircon broke. It took them a few hours to do something about it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Makati City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Prior to my trip to Coron, I read a handful of reviews on this website to help me get an idea of what Ralph's Pension House was like. As I went through the different posts, I realized that many had negative reviews about the place and the owner, but I gave these all the benefit of the doubt.

Don't get me wrong, Ralph's is actually an okay place to stay if you are on a budget. The food is just okay, the location is great, the rooms are average. I had to have my sheets changed because they were rather soiled, but the staff graciously replaced the dirty sheets as soon as I called it to their attention.

So far so good right?

Things were all great until the management screwed up our room reservations. Our group of 12 came in two batches: 10 on the first day, and 2 others followed the next afternoon. When my two friends arrived, they were told that no room was available for them, and that they would have to stay in the rooms of the other people from our group first. This was the total opposite of what we had talked about the day before -- it turned out that the room reserved for them was given to another family, staying about the same length of time as our group. Given this, we asked for a one-night refund for the two of them, which amounted to Php 2,400 (Php 1,200 for each of them)

We talked this over with the owner, JUN GUTIERREZ, and his manner of addressing us was really rude. When we asked about the situation and the refund, he scoffed at us and told us, "Busying-busy ako. Pero oo, diba nasabi na sa inyo at ayos na? 2,400 na nga ang refund." (I'm really busy right now, but weren't you already told that you will get 2,400 as the refund?)

Given these words, we felt assured that we would get the money back for that one night when we had to cram people into our rooms.

The next day, which happened to be the day we were leaving for Manila, one member of the staff approached us with Php 600. She told us that it was the refund promised to us. We argued that we were told that our refund was Php 2,400. Of course, because she was only part of the staff, she could not do anything. When we asked to speak to JUN GUTIERREZ, the staff member said that he had gone out for the day. (We had a hunch that he was just at the Pension House.) Either way, it was quite appalling and completely unprofessional. Not only did not refund my friends, but he also totally lied about the amount of money that he would be returning.

My friend tried calling him on his cellular phone, JUN GUTIERREZ hung up on him and would not answer his succeeding calls.

The owner never made an effort to fix things -- it seems that he was only really after making money. In fact, he earned double for the same room.

While Ralph's Pension House is an okay place to stay, I am personally not comfortable with the management's dishonesty in dealing with their clients. Who knows what else are they capable of doing to their customers if someone like this "hides" and "avoids" their clients.

Coron is a beautiful place, there are other more accommodating and secure hotels or inns in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ralph's Pension House Coron? Share your experiences!