My wife and I made Mangenguey part of our May honeymoon in the Philippines, and as the final stop on a brilliant holiday, it was seven wonderful and very peaceful nights in paradise.
We stayed in the pink suite of the main cabin - and it was brilliant. The outdoor bathroom/shower was great with a real feeling of being at one with nature. We woke up naturally with the sunrise in the morning and had a magnificent view over the small dining area and in the distance the sea. The room has a lot of character - and that is what makes the whole experience unique. Perhaps a small bit of upkeep is required in the room as e.g. the water in the bathroom is taking its toll on the flooring in there as the floor boards are coming up or showing signs of fatique. However, that's just small little things that can be easily fixed.
In terms of meals - they were almost consistently excellent (some misses - but they were few and far between). What I think deserves recognition is that there were a lot of comments on the meals (esp. breakfasts) and the management has clearly listened to that and taken action. The breakfast spread is now very hearty - so you absolutely won't go hungry. If I were to give my two cents - I would keep to that but offer a small breakfast choice. It's not hard to whip up some eggs on order or cereals or pancakes. The ingredients wouldn't spoil and with a maximum guest capacity of six rooms - it wouldn't be hard to make breakfast to order from a small menu of e.g. 3 or 4 choices. For the rest of the meals - keep it exactly as is and people will sample things they might not otherwise choose. I think that is great. Also - with respect to the dining - I would comprise that in the room rate and just make one full price. If you don't have any other choices, why not just make one rate that includes full pension - and then you don't have to hear people evaluating whether meals are worth the 75 that is added on per day. Just a thought.
For the rest of the facilities - they are fine - although maybe some of the water equipment is now starting to tire. New masks and fins are probably in order. In addition, in terms of the trip from the mainland to the island (2.5 hrs by boat) - going to a place where you are paying in excess of $400 per night it might be nice to have a water bottle and someone welcome you have a little chat etc. They 2 boat guys came across as more frustrated with your presence than anything else.
Overall - the island is incredibly pretty, and very much private and exclusive. You escape the crowds of the other main Philippine tourist islands and for anyone wanting some needed R&R and some privacy - this is the place to be. Very cool indeed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangenguey is truly like no other place in the world. It is intimate and private, a destination that blends the incredible beauty of untouched Nature with culture and art. The island is a perfect location to create a new vision of Utopian living and redefined luxury for the twenty-first century. Mangenguey is an exquisite and remote Virgin Island comparable in natural beauty to the best in the world; it is located in the Calamianes archipelago in Northern Palawan, Philippines. It is right at the center of the Coral Triangle, one of the world's richest marine biodiversity zones. Getting There. Mangenguey is 45 minutes away from Manila, Philippines by plane. There are regular daily flights to Busuanga airport via Air Phil Express, Cebu Pacific, or SKYJET.Upon arrival at Busuanga Airport, guests take a thirty-minute drive in an air-conditioned van or private car (with additional charge) that takes them to Coron Town. In Coron, guests board our native banka for an approximately 1-1/2 hour (depending on sea conditions) beautiful scenic journey to the island. Airport transfers are $65/ trip and include land and sea transport. We recommend a minimum stay of three (3) nights for guests traveling from not so distant locations, and a week for guests coming from far away. Food and Beverage: The dining experience on Mangenguey is like no other: fresh sea air to stimulate the appetite, gorgeous views of the ocean, superb cuisine, warm and friendly service, and interesting conversation. Helena's simple and approachable Catalan-inspired cuisine is definitely one of the highlights of the Mangenguey experience. Gathered around the gracious table for communal dining or "al fresco" in the garden, meals in Mangenguey reflect the distinctive character of Helena. Shaped by her Spanish childhood and her years of travelling throughout different continents, combined with her knack for using local ingredients, each meal on Mangenguey is a unique epicurean adventure and pleasure for the senses. All guests are served 3 gourmet meals a day for a fee per person, per day. We accommodate "Special diets" provided advance notice and at an additional charge per day per person. Guests can also enjoy a variety of classic cocktails and a selection of wines, spirits, and beers. A truly luxurious moment on the island is the pre-dinner drinks at the Big House: sip the house champagne or our Signature Cocktails as tantalizing aromas waft from the open-style kitchen while Helena's cooks. Entertainment. Guests can swim and snorkel in the reef, paddle around the island in native bankas, bird watch, or trek through the forest. They can read on the veranda facing the sea, play pool in the Big House, or watch the sunset while sipping champagne and listening to Maria Callas. The adventurous can dive or snorkel in the magnificent house reef or in the turquoise waters surrounding the island. We customize island hoping and diving tours on our comfortable bankas to fit your desires and interests that come complete with gourmet picnics and butler service. Our private diving trips must be booked in advance with our Dive Master. Experience the beautiful reefs and the Japanese wrecks. We can plan a perfect diving experience based on your skills and desires. Private diving courses may also be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Mangenguey Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mangenguey Island Hotel Coron
- Mangenguey Island Coron, Palawan Island