Me and my wife spent 5 nights at Mangenguey with a plan to relax after 14 days of traveling around Philippines.
First I have to point out that this is not a 4/5 star hotel although they charge you as it would be. I have to say that the island itself is really nice on a remote place so you can really relax yourself and enjoy snorkelling and doing nothing. One of the most important reasons why we decided to go to Mangenguey was because of the "fabulous cuisine" as per their words. We must also not forget that they charge you 75 $ per nigh for 3 "fabulous" meals. WELL I HAVE TO TELL YOU - DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME !!! I have travelled a lot in Meditarainian countries as well as in Spain and believe me that the food from Mangenguey is not even close.
I will tell you:
Breakfast - bread + marmalade , fruits and chocolate bread. OK for one day but you have everyday the same, when I asked for eggs the reply was that they are not available!!!
Lunch - disaster!!!! served at 02.00 pm, outside temp. - 35 C ; they serve you toast with french fries and ketchup !!!!!!!!!!! (crazy). Note that lunch is everyday almost identical
Dinner - OK but very very far from fabulous !
*In five days there we didn't have one single fish for any of the meals!
Bottom line is that they overcharge you for what you are getting in return and I would definitely recommend different island for you holidays.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mangenguey is truly like no other place in the world. It is intimate and private, a destination that blends the incredible beauty of untouched Nature with culture and art. The island is a perfect location to create a new vision of Utopian living and redefined luxury for the twenty-first century. Mangenguey is an exquisite and remote Virgin Island comparable in natural beauty to the best in the world; it is located in the Calamianes archipelago in Northern Palawan, Philippines. It is right at the center of the Coral Triangle, one of the world's richest marine biodiversity zones. Getting There. Mangenguey is 45 minutes away from Manila, Philippines by plane. There are regular daily flights to Busuanga airport via Air Phil Express, Cebu Pacific, or SKYJET.Upon arrival at Busuanga Airport, guests take a thirty-minute drive in an air-conditioned van or private car (with additional charge) that takes them to Coron Town. In Coron, guests board our native banka for an approximately 1-1/2 hour (depending on sea conditions) beautiful scenic journey to the island. Airport transfers are $65/ trip and include land and sea transport. We recommend a minimum stay of three (3) nights for guests traveling from not so distant locations, and a week for guests coming from far away. Food and Beverage: The dining experience on Mangenguey is like no other: fresh sea air to stimulate the appetite, gorgeous views of the ocean, superb cuisine, warm and friendly service, and interesting conversation. Helena's simple and approachable Catalan-inspired cuisine is definitely one of the highlights of the Mangenguey experience. Gathered around the gracious table for communal dining or "al fresco" in the garden, meals in Mangenguey reflect the distinctive character of Helena. Shaped by her Spanish childhood and her years of travelling throughout different continents, combined with her knack for using local ingredients, each meal on Mangenguey is a unique epicurean adventure and pleasure for the senses. All guests are served 3 gourmet meals a day for a fee per person, per day. We accommodate "Special diets" provided advance notice and at an additional charge per day per person. Guests can also enjoy a variety of classic cocktails and a selection of wines, spirits, and beers. A truly luxurious moment on the island is the pre-dinner drinks at the Big House: sip the house champagne or our Signature Cocktails as tantalizing aromas waft from the open-style kitchen while Helena's cooks. Entertainment. Guests can swim and snorkel in the reef, paddle around the island in native bankas, bird watch, or trek through the forest. They can read on the veranda facing the sea, play pool in the Big House, or watch the sunset while sipping champagne and listening to Maria Callas. The adventurous can dive or snorkel in the magnificent house reef or in the turquoise waters surrounding the island. We customize island hoping and diving tours on our comfortable bankas to fit your desires and interests that come complete with gourmet picnics and butler service. Our private diving trips must be booked in advance with our Dive Master. Experience the beautiful reefs and the Japanese wrecks. We can plan a perfect diving experience based on your skills and desires. Private diving courses may also be arranged. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Mangenguey Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mangenguey Island Hotel Coron
- Mangenguey Island Coron, Palawan Island