“There's just something about this island resort ;)” 5 of 5 stars

Majika's Island Resort
Bintuan. Coron, Palawan, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Coron
Baguio City, Baguio, Philippines
“There's just something about this island resort ;)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have just started travelling recently and I must say that my otherwise brief stay at the island all but proved to me that there are still places in the country which are a hundred percent in sync with nature. A place which is so attuned to nature, calling it harmonious is a gross understatement.

Let me just say that from the moment the guest is picked up from the airport, everything that my eye gazed upon was nothing short of picturesque. The long ride to the resort's private harbor did not feel long at all. The golden rays of the sun upon the mountains we passed by held my attention long enough.

The trip from the harbor to the resort itself was not very long, and we arrived at the resort after a relatively smooth boat ride in the early night sky. Soft green lights emanating from Plankton on the sea floor were visible under what seemed to be a sky with more stars than I can remember.

Once we arrived at the resort, we were welcomed warmly by everyone of the resort's staff. I realized that the friendliness of the staff which so often get mentioned in reviews here in Tripadvisor were neither misplaced nor exaggerated. All of the resort's staff, from the boatmen who took us to the island, to the staff in the dining area, to the owner herself, treated us like we were their private guests. It may just be me, but it seems that for the staff of the resort to show open dislike to a guest (as was mentioned in some of the reviews in this site), the guest would have to be pretty rude himself. The staff of the resort seemed to embody what Filipino hospitality is all about. Of course they would treat the guests the best they could, especially if the guests treated them properly and with respect as well. :)

The tours which came with the package we paid for were simply perfect. I was silently chuckling to myself when I took a photo of the famous Kayangan Lagoon in a very cloudy day (it was even drizzling), and yet the picture which came out of my camera still showed perfectly blue waters under the limestone cliffs. The waters in these places were really clear, the atmosphere of the place all but telling a person that he is in the arms of nature.

The other tours which we were able to participate in the next day were even more exciting, as we were able to explore Japanese wrecks near the island. One through snorkeling, the other through SCUBA diving. This is one area, I think, where Majika stands apart from all the other resorts in Coron. I can't even swim well yet, but I was allowed to explore the sunken ships meters down into the ocean, the dive master holding me while guiding me through the waters. They were very careful, checking up on us every few feet to ask us if we were still alright, or if we wanted to get to the surface already. With their help, I was able to explore until the interior of the sunken vessel. I don't think any other resort in the Philippines would bother to do this, and I don't think I would ever experience something like that if I went to any other resort. :)

Leaving the island actually felt heavy. We simply didn't want to go. Saying goodbye to the island is like saying goodbye to a really fortunate relative who simply happens to own an island. :p

I would strongly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for an affordable, exciting, and nature-filled experience in the Philippines. Take my word for it, it is well worth every single penny you will spend. One doesn't have to worry about the food, since a buffet is provided every meal. Of course, one has to keep in mind that many amenities are absent here, such as heaters, a stable cellphone signal, and an internet connection, but that's all part of the Majika appeal. Once one steps foot into the island, one becomes separated from everything else. It's like a different world in there. It was no less than magic.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of their cottages, and I must say it was quite roomy. Five people could easily sleep...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I flew from the united states to meet my girlfriend Lorna,she had made plans for us to stay at Majika island with friends that I had never met in person.Not knowing Lorna's friends Majika island made things much more comfortable for me everything fit in perfectly the weather was beautiful the views were fantastic the water so clean and blue the food was great and all the people on the island were wonderful.
Lorna and I went hiking bathed in a hotspring,snorkeling,sight seeing on lots of different island,went scuba diving for the first time and to top it all off I proposed to Lorna and she excepted.I have traveled before vacationed in a few other resorts Majika island is going into my record book of me having the best time of my life and I will never never forget it,Lorna and I had a blast.
Thanks Majika thanks for everything.....Mwuah!

Peter.G

Room Tip: end cottage has colorful flowers making a very nice sweet aroma
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Well, I was really going for an adventure, and it was an adventure! I booked this resort after going through the reviews here. Mainly, I wanted a package with tours, and they offered it. Also, I had the impression from traveller photos that they had hot water. But well, they don't, but well, let's say that that is part of the whole rustic experience. At arrival, we were welcomed by cheerful Vangie, and off we were to the countryside with dirt roads that looked more like Thailand than the Philippines. After that, we took a motorboat to the island. Alas, the engine would not start. After a number of tries, we were finally on our way. The resort was full. I was unlucky to get the unrenovated one near the dining hall. But we survived. Even my companion slept through the chatter of some guests. What I liked best: the tours to beautiful islands, coral gardens, a hot spring and shipwreck sites. They also organized a plankton and firefly viewing tour at night. That was something! Apart from the tours, we also hiked to the top of the small island, and the view was so wonderful! I am really happy that an investment was made in this place. I salute to the efforts made to provide water and electricity (albeit not for the whole day) to share a corner of Palawan to us for a few days. The owner was very hospitable and welcomed every guest personally. The staff were also very friendly. Thank you for the banana cue, the crabs, etc. Thank you for all your efforts!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

A perfect getaway for those seeking life with nature. Away from the usual routinely tiring modern life, this is a place where you can find peace and serenity, Its like you are in an island with a lot of coconut and cashew trees with hammocks hanging for a sound breezy nap in the afternoon. Its a remote Island so dont expect luxury like airconditioned rooms or hot showers which you dont really need because the climate is just right, its breezy and the water is not that cold. You always have a goodnight sleep its so quiet and you can hear the sound of the waves from the ocean. You can hear crickets at some nights but it makes it more exciting. The food is great esp the brewed Palawan coffee served all day long..
We are a group of 5 friends from the UST EDUC HIGH SCHOOL BATCH 72. All of us are based in the United States. We stayed for like 5 days in this island and we all had a blast.We will never forget the great Staff of Majika..We love them so much, they gave us perfect service and entertainment and of course not to mention, the owner herself Ms Palanca has a chat with us, a very nice down to earth lady. Thank you so much for the hospitality and the experience we will always cherish. We miss you all!!!
ELVIE, LINDA, LERY, CECIL, NANIE

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I just read through the excellent reviews posted here and noticed that out of 43 excellent ratings,that 28 of them by were by one time reviewers....hmmm???
Who are these tourists who only show up to post merely one "excellent" review,no forum posts and are never heard from again?Personally anyone who has only offered one review is a post I generally tend to disregard....... for ALL hotels.Just my opinion.

Anyways....

We were in fact at the Majicka resort in mid Janruary 2009 as the beginning part of our honeymoon.We met the owner "Majicka" on a flight between Manila and Buswanga and next thing you know we were on a boat for a ride out to her advertized tropical paradise.

I've got to admit, the ocean/land outside of Coron is a very beautiful and most excellent setting to behold.The lagoons,cliffs,bays and surrounding islands are spectacular and Majicka tours will take you to see much of it. The Green Lagoon is a spectaculiar setting, as is a boat ride through the Mangroves.Some of the most amazing coral and marine life can be seen caked on a sunken Japanese warship.Boating up to the property in itself is a beauty to behold.Add a trip up the hill behind the property and your camera will get a great workout in what sometimes is a photographers paradise.In summary, the surrounding area is very good and at times truly excellent!

The resort itself however, is somewhere between just average to good.

The beach out front is shallow and mucky to walk in, although the water is very clean and clear when undisturbed. The cabins are average at best and the shower always runs cold.You only get power between 6PM to 6AM, but that can be expected for such a remote location.The food was average to good at best, but nothing spectaculiar.At one time we had(the catch of the day) fish or local crab/seafood that got a little monotonous day after day.When we were finally served chicken, it was a major relief!

The dessert fruit was out of the can as you won't get any fresh fruit here except maybe some cashew fruit or a banana off of their own trees.The staff was OK friendly but nothing over the top that would desreve an excellent rating.

The owner "Majicka" is very knowledgable about the suroundings and knows everyone including the mayor.She is also for the most part, pretty friendly but tends to brag about the many,many lots and small island fronts that she apparently owns along the various shorelines. Day after day it gets annoying, but hey....maybe I'm just jealous....LOL!

If the resort including service, value,rooms, cleanliness ever match up to the most beautiful natural environment, then and only then could this place be classified as an excellent.The place is definitly worth a visit however the resort still needs to improve before it can be given an "excellent" rating.For now good to very good would be in my opinion, much more accurate.The overwhelming beauty of the area overides the resorts shortcomings enough for me to give it a "very good" rating.

PS. As aformentioned, we were here in Jan 2009 but had to select a box to get this posted so we chose Jan 2012.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
kyoto ,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We took the All-inclusive 5D/4N at Majika's Resort with my family and Japanese friends. We really had a great time as the Staff and Majie( the owner herself) gave us a very warm accommodation throughout our stay. Even during our island hopping, the "boy's of Majika" is always there to look after our safety and ready to assist at any moment. At Majika, they will also introduce you to their other guest and share a hearty meal together.

They also offered us a scuba diving session for an affordable fees, recommended for beginners. It's a sure fun and memorable experiences you'll enjoy.

The place is just simple but surrounded with amazing view. If you want to escape from the city, this is the place to be...Thank's Majika!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed for 7 nights, and it was really quite memorable. Other reviews have described the place well, so I will only add my comments to that:

The sense of warmth and friendliness here is really impressive - I met Majie (the owner), Christine (the on-site manager) and Met (general organiser?!) and they were always smiling and helpful, keen to ensure guests were happy and enjoying the resort, the meals and surrounding islands. In particular, the isolated nature of this place mean you all eat in the restaurant area, and the staff were good at introducing people. I met some great people here, who really enhanced my enjoyment of the trip.

You get the feeling that this place is run just as much as a venture for local people's employment as well as a business, improving things for the Bintuan village too. I like that feeling, and the sense that the food is locally produced. Even the (excellent) fresh coffee is grown by one of the staff.

The location is sublime, the trips were good. Glad I did not stay in Coron Town, having visited it, I didn't really like the feel. Majika's was much more the kind of place I prefer.

Probably the only issue I felt needed improvement is the rooms/cottages, as the accomodation is relatively basic. But I knew this before I booked. That is critical - as can be read in various reviews here, you need to be fully aware that there's no 24hr electric, no internet, no hot water, no aircon. Still, the cottage I stayed in, and the diver room, could probably benefit from a bit of tidying up maintenance - nothing major, just checking lights work, doors close, toilets flush etc. To be fair, I asked to stay 1 more night, and it was fully booked, so I appreciated the staff finding space for me in the dive masters room.

If you want to visit the Coron islands, and don't want to be holed up in Coron Town, I definitely recommend checking out this place. Just ensure you're not coming with 5 star room expectations, because that's not what it's about. Oh, and it's pretty much all-inclusive, so while the cost might seem a bit high at first, it's with *all* meals and snacks, filtered water, 2 airport transfers and 2 all-day trips.

Room Tip: Go for the cottages if you can, the small "diver" rooms are thin-walled. Fine for budget t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Majika's Island Resort? Share your experiences!