Made an impulsive visit to the office just by the square. Decided to stay 4 days it the Island to get away from the traffic and noise of Coron Centre.
There's free banca pick up at any time from the Pier and the boat ride is just 5-10 mins.
I got a discount for staying 4 days (2000php a night) and got a very nice cottage with a beautiful sea view. The cottage were spacious, clean and nice and simple interior. Huge balcony with hammock. Expect visit from the resort dogs that are very friendly - and hey dogs are a part of the Philippines like ants, mosquitos, gekko's and sand in your flip flops.
There are flaws and some would maybe say that the resort is a bit overprices but I think in general it's very variable quality around Palawan and hard to judge. Think you pay for the remoteness and the gorgeous view. To mention a few things that is on the neg. side (and I mention these out of love and it would just give the place the final touch to improve on this);
No warm water and very little water in the shower. A little shelve in the bathroom and a permanent hanging mosquito net would be nice. A bit nicer furniture on the lovely balcony would upgrade it a lot. Would be nice if there was simple cleaning everyday as emptying the trash can that is one huge mosquito nest. And the plastic burning is not very pleasant.
The divers came back to the island at 5:30 and that is when the restaurant/bar starts coming to life. The DM/Instructor hangs out with the guests. The boatmen are playing pool and you are welcome to join. There's a very good vibe in the bar and the owner Allan and Little Mama joins the conversations. They are very friendly and have good humour.
The food is great and there's a good selection with their own tasteful dishes. (Around 30% more expensive than in town).
You drink and eat and sign the bill in the evening or in the morning and pay at check out. that works excellent. and all the staff are so sweet and open.
I will definitely advise you to go there for a couple of days to stress of and feel the relaxing atmosphere.
I also joined the Discovery Divers (which is a different company I know
Marcel and Andy are very friendly and has a good mood. Also had some very fun afternoons with them in the bar.
Had some great dives on day one with 6 guests and 1 instructor and 1 DM. Friendly boatstaff and pretty new diving gear. Day two we only had one DM for 6 guest and that's not enough diving on the tight wrecks.
It sucks that you have to bring your lunch from the restaurant and there's nothing but warm drinking water on the boat. Had to bring my own instant coffee.
Furthermore the office in town said 3200php for 3 dives. When paid it was 3400 + the 200php lunch. Didn't notice until coming back to town and saw the sign in the office.
Notice there's a 5% fee paying with Credit card.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Back to 100% after Typhoon Haiyan. An Island resort and dive center on its own island just 5 minutes from Coron Town. Tranquil location with individual rustic cottages and modern lodge rooms. All rooms en-suite. Warm hospitality and good food. Ideal for island hoppers and divers. Private Coron Island Tours operated from the resort to show you the best and most beautiful spots that Coron has to offer at your own pace. With one of the most experienced dive centers in Coron, come dive Corons wrecks, lakes or coral reefs with Discovery Divers from our resort. Kayaking, seafaris around Calamianes Islands are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Divers Resort Coron Hotel Coron
- Discovery Divers Hotel
- Discovery Island Resort And Dive Center Coron, Palawan Island