“Relaxing. Stunning views. Excellent diving & dive shop.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center

Save Saved
You added Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center to your Saves list
Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center
Dicanituan Island | Barangay 5, Busuanga Island, Palawan Island 5316, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Coron
Shanghai, China
“Relaxing. Stunning views. Excellent diving & dive shop.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just returned from a 4 nights dive holiday at Discovery Island Resort and I really loved it. From the personal greetings from Riza and Alan (the resort proprietor) upon arrival to the total professionalism of their associated dive instructors and the kind and attentive house staff, I recommend and give Discovery Island Resort 5+ stars!

Luke, Christine, and Marcel knew the dive sites inside/out. As a still beginner diver, I felt 100% comfortable and confident diving with them and what an experience it was. Their equipment was top-notch. Wrecks and reefs, all kinds of fish and sea life, winnowing our way into and out of wrecks. In 3 days of diving, I earned certifications in SDI Advanced Adventurer and SDI Computer Nitrox for a very reasonable price!

You can also order sandwiches, salad, mains, drinks, and beer from the resort to take on the dive boat; beer of course to be enjoyed only after diving is done for the day. There’s nothing quite like quaffing an ice cold San Miguel on the boat with a breathtaking view of ocean and islands after a great day of diving. After the 3 days, I am a much more confident diver than before. I absolutely recommend Discovery Diving for any diving in Coron. Don’t take your chance with some fly-by-night outfit, I’ve done it before and it ruins your holiday.

Back to the resort. Discovery Island Resort is located on Decanituan Island just off the bigger Busuanga Island about 30 minutes by van from the airport and 10 minutes boat ride from Coron Town. It is a private island so I felt completely safe without tourist touts, scooters whizzing by, or other annoyances that staying in town might offer.

I stayed in the lodge and the rooms were comfortable. There was a fan, but the door was often opened to catch the warm ocean breeze swept off the bay. I checked out the few cottages and bay views were absolutely amazing. Definitely worth paying a little more to stay in the cottages.

I know another reviewer downgraded the resort for not offering hot water but honestly it’s so hot that semi-cold showers are quite refreshing.

Me and my friends chose the full board meals option with 3 full-on meals per day. This was quite nice. Lunch and dinner included soup, salad, main course, and dessert. If you walked away still hungry, then no amount of food will satisfy you. There were plenty of mains to satisfy any palate – local Filipino, popular American and European fares.

Overall I can’t wait to come back on another (hopefully longer) dive holiday!

Room Tip: go for one of the cottages. breathtaking bay views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed 6 days 5 nights at this resort. The views are amazing and the overall stay is very comfortable. Knew in advance from little mama that there was no hot shower and electricity can go out sometimes. Food was great, the owners, little mama and her hubby Alan are just wonderful people. They'll go out of their way to accommodate your needs within their capabilities and try their best to make sure you are enjoying your stay.

The dive team here is also very professional. I trained both for the Open Water as well as the Advanced Adventure certification. Marcel is the owner and instructor and Luke is the other instructor. Great people, very experienced, and I felt safe throughout the training and learned lots.

Would definitely come back and refer friends and family!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Pahoa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Discovery was a great place to stay for a few nights, even if you don't scuba dive. My wife and I are divers (I'm actually a divemaster), but we came to isolate ourselves and do nothing. This is a great place to do nothing, as it's an island, Decanituan. Nowhere to go, and nothing to do. Bring a good book! There is no beach, just a bit of rocky area to lay out at on some lounges. A great bar and restaurant right on the mangrove-lined waterfront. Simple, clean cottages. We were in a native cottage, which had a great veranda and hammock. I like a bit of a/c, but we tried the fan room. I was uncomfortable at night, as the humidity was rough due to rain. I would go with an a/c room next time. No bugs or mosquitos. Cold shower, which felt good in the heat. Alan, an Englishman, and his wife, Little Mama (Merly), a Pilapina, were excellent hosts, moving from guest to guest, ensuring all was well for your stay. Very kind folks, and entertaining as well! The divers seemed to really enjoy the packages offered, and would sit at dinner each night, exchanging stories of the day. A boat ride to Coron Town (about 20 minutes) is available 24/7, for a modest fee. Satellite TV in the bar for sports. A pool table in the bar, also. A very clean, well-managed resort, with reasonable prices for what you get. The beer is cold and cheap. Good meals. Ongoing building of new cottages while we were there, but done fairly quietly and tastefully. Again, bring a good book if you're not planning on diving all day. We would recommend this place as a nice change from the bustle of Coron Town. One point- I had booked this place after researching at home on the internet, and had read there was horseback riding and kayaking available. Just to be clear, neither are available.

Room Tip: Book a native cottage, higher-up on the hill, for better breezes and view. Get an a/c room unless yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a March 7 to 10 vacation from Coron, Palawan. We stayed at Discovery Divers Resort at Decanituan Island. The resort is run by couple Allan and Little Mama (unfortunately, she was in Manila and didn't get to meet her). The resort is a short boat ride from Coron town, which is a big plus as you wouldn't want to be at sea at night from a delayed flight. Discovery Diver's location is perfect - its a small island away from the noisy town but close enough to town should you decide to go on a whim. It's also close to everything you came to Coron for (the amazing hidden lakes and pristine beaches). A boat ride to and from town will cost P100 per head on the resort's service boat.
We were booked in a native cottage, our room was quite an uphill walk (we got room #14) and quite a distance to the main restaurant/reception. The room was basic but spacious with just a bed and fan. No tables, no chairs, (table and 2 chairs are out on the veranda) no ref/bar, no safe, no TV but there's a resident gecko (tuko) to keep you company ;). I asked for a mosquito net to be set up as I don't like waking up in the morning with giant lizards on our bed. Harmless, yes, but totally freaked me out as I'm scared to death of lizards. So imagine my horror when I saw the grandaddy of them all on our wall. I thought it was a decoration until it moved its head. The bathroom was rustic and spacious. It can be improved with additional racks and maybe a table to put stuff on. The drums of water can go as it offers no use. It only attracts mosquitoes and you wouldn't want to use stocked water anyway. The water from the shower can be a bit cold but it was refreshing after a hot and humid day out at sea.
The staff were welcoming and warm. They were all very helpful esp Allan and Venus. Part of our package is the one day island hopping tour. On our day 3, we have nothing to do anymore and asked Allan if they can book us another island tour -this time to go to Malcapuya Island. He advised us not to go as wind and big waves are quite dangerous. If you go directly to boat rentals, they'd say yes as that means money whether you reach your destination or not. We were told that roof of boats were ripped off and waves were 1-2 meters high as Malcapuya Island is on open sea. So check first with the locals before you go as they know better about the "amihan" and the "habagat" winds.
Special mention should go out to the cooks Elvie and Eliza -- they're the best. Their Bicol express is to die-for! Authentic and very tasty. My husband and I ate with our hands when they served us their Bicol Express, grilled pork (not on the menu, but ask the server what's fresh from the market) and calamares. Cap your dinner with their mango crepe. Perfect! San Mig Light is P70/bottle and Red Horse (Stallion) is P80. They charge for hot water, btw, at P10 per mug. They don't have room service and they change towels every two days. Wi-fi at the reception/resto is free. Bottomline is we liked it here and will be back at this resort whenever in Coron.

Room Tip: I saw their newer "Lodge" made of concrete and maybe there's no resident gecko there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
flipSwitzerland, Marketing Director at Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Little Mama is back on the island dishing out more menu specials - glad to be back
Looking forward to seeing you again soon - keep in touch on our Facebook Page
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed one night in this resort as part of a Tribal Adventures tour (avoid this company) and found Little Mama and Allan extremely good hosts. The dinner was delicious and the staff were well trained. The room was very comfortable and Little Mama went out of her way to put extra foam on a bed as I suffer from arthritis in my shoulder. The shower was cold but the weather was balmy so it did not matter. Away from the hub of Coron but only minutes in a banca this is a lovely quiet place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I had just the most amazing experience in Coron, thanks to this resort! I read so much good reviews about this from TripAdvisor so we decided to book a room here.

We got a room for two people, very spacious room though the shower doesn't have hot water and the light just above the sink didn't work. However, those are the only two minor problems that we encountered. Which is a good thing, of course!

The staff, owner, dogs and everyone was just great. The food is absolutely fantastic, do order the spicy tuna pasta and the pancakes! They are amazing!

The service is really great, all of them are willing to help you plan your trips around the area. When you go island hopping around Coron, they would offer you to order lunch so the boatmen can cook/grill the food for you on the spot. It was such an amazing and unforgettable experience!

Scuba diving was great and meeting fellow tourists was fun as well. I recommend this amazing place to everyone who will visit Coron.

Though if you want to go around town, you must ride the boat which is around a 15 minute ride, Php100 per ride one way.

We also had a problem with electricity, though the whole Coron has a problem with it.Luckily from 6pm to 6am sometimes 7am, we have electricity because of the generator.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

hello, me and my husband stayed in this resort last jan. 2012 for 5 nights.3 nights in a cottage where theres no hot water and the shower is not working, the 2 nights they transfer us to another cottage we didnt sleep cuz the mattress was terrible and the pillows was soo hard .we came from a tour and need to clean but no water .were like a prisoner cuz everytime we move to go to the city we have to pay back and forth for the banca who accompany us.and worst of all we paid for the food and tours of 6000 plus and told me that they dont issue receipts. its not really a resort cuz we cant swim full of gelly fish.not a good stay and not reccomendable by other visitors.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Most of our guests really enjoy their visit and atest to such in their reviews.
We are a close to nature resort on a Dept of Environment and Natural Resources managed island - we do not heat our water. We offer modern rooms and native cottages.
We operate complimentary transfers on arrival and departure. At other times we offer a 24hour taxi boat service. Regular hour service is P100 per person roundtrip. The journey time is around 10 minutes
Unfortunately at the time of the visit due to a BIR mistake the BIR were still in the process of reprinting our official receipts. The BIR have now supplied us with Official Receipts.
Room transfers are only made when the resort is close to fully booked at the time of the reservation and room transfers are advised in advance.
Alternate mattress and pillow options are available if guests make their preferences known.

Been to Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center? Share your experiences!