Just returned from a 4 nights dive holiday at Discovery Island Resort and I really loved it. From the personal greetings from Riza and Alan (the resort proprietor) upon arrival to the total professionalism of their associated dive instructors and the kind and attentive house staff, I recommend and give Discovery Island Resort 5+ stars!
Luke, Christine, and Marcel knew the dive sites inside/out. As a still beginner diver, I felt 100% comfortable and confident diving with them and what an experience it was. Their equipment was top-notch. Wrecks and reefs, all kinds of fish and sea life, winnowing our way into and out of wrecks. In 3 days of diving, I earned certifications in SDI Advanced Adventurer and SDI Computer Nitrox for a very reasonable price!
You can also order sandwiches, salad, mains, drinks, and beer from the resort to take on the dive boat; beer of course to be enjoyed only after diving is done for the day. There’s nothing quite like quaffing an ice cold San Miguel on the boat with a breathtaking view of ocean and islands after a great day of diving. After the 3 days, I am a much more confident diver than before. I absolutely recommend Discovery Diving for any diving in Coron. Don’t take your chance with some fly-by-night outfit, I’ve done it before and it ruins your holiday.
Back to the resort. Discovery Island Resort is located on Decanituan Island just off the bigger Busuanga Island about 30 minutes by van from the airport and 10 minutes boat ride from Coron Town. It is a private island so I felt completely safe without tourist touts, scooters whizzing by, or other annoyances that staying in town might offer.
I stayed in the lodge and the rooms were comfortable. There was a fan, but the door was often opened to catch the warm ocean breeze swept off the bay. I checked out the few cottages and bay views were absolutely amazing. Definitely worth paying a little more to stay in the cottages.
I know another reviewer downgraded the resort for not offering hot water but honestly it’s so hot that semi-cold showers are quite refreshing.
Me and my friends chose the full board meals option with 3 full-on meals per day. This was quite nice. Lunch and dinner included soup, salad, main course, and dessert. If you walked away still hungry, then no amount of food will satisfy you. There were plenty of mains to satisfy any palate – local Filipino, popular American and European fares.
Overall I can’t wait to come back on another (hopefully longer) dive holiday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Back to 100% after Typhoon Haiyan. An Island resort and dive center on its own island just 5 minutes from Coron Town. Tranquil location with individual rustic cottages and modern lodge rooms. All rooms en-suite. Warm hospitality and good food. Ideal for island hoppers and divers. Private Coron Island Tours operated from the resort to show you the best and most beautiful spots that Coron has to offer at your own pace. With one of the most experienced dive centers in Coron, come dive Corons wrecks, lakes or coral reefs with Discovery Divers from our resort. Kayaking, seafaris around Calamianes Islands are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, BookingOdigeoWL and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Discovery Island Resort and Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Divers Resort Coron Hotel Coron
- Discovery Divers Hotel
- Discovery Island Resort And Dive Center Coron, Palawan Island