“Superb holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Coron
Doha, Qatar
“Superb holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The boat ride to the island really puts into perspective the beauty of this area of the world. The boat anchored at the end of the pier and the staff were there waiting to help with my luggage. Check in was quick and efficient and I was taken to my accommodation. I'd booked a single room with a garden view which was literally a stones throw from the beach, it came equipped with everything you need for island life. So within 30 minutes of arriving I was booked for my first two dives and out on the boat with Steve and Ian the two dive instructors and the experienced Captain. I qualified as a diver some 15 years ago and this was my first dive holiday in a long time. I felt instantly at ease with Steve and Ian who are two very experienced divers and their knowledge of the dive sites is excellent. I did 13 dives in total and to be honest they were the best dives I've ever done, the wrecks were impressive. If you are a diver this place has everything, fully equipped dive shop that will provide all the equipment you need and it is very good. Your kit is taken to boat each morning and cleaned after every days diving. That is service. Snorkelling is also great here especially on the house reef, abundant with Sea life and taking a trip on a kayak is another great thing to do here. Great service, good food, plenty of beer and world class diving. I can't wait to return. Go, experience and happy diving. Thanks Steve and Ian for the great adventure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Coral Bay is a dive resort, aimed specifically at attracting divers, situated in a nice location, on the cusp of a beautiful virgin coral reef. My stay there was as such:
Positives -

1) The dive instructors, Steve and Ian, were extremely personable, helpful, and knowledgeable. I am not a diver myself, but both instructors seemed highly skilled, experienced, and were very informative about the coral reef and local diving spots that surrounded the resort; a pleasure to talk to, and to learn from.
2) The location is beautiful and has its own coral reef to snorkel or dive in. Beautiful sand.
3) Some of the staff, particularly some of the ladies, are quite happy and helpful.

Negatives - Where to begin...
1) The service was overall very, very poor. Several times my partner and I were forced to search for someone to help us, or to serve us when we went to the resort restaurant. As there were only 6 other people staying at the resort for the first few days we were there, and then only us or the last few, the lack of service and the absence of any help was extremely frustrating. Time and time again we had to call, leave or table and search, or comb the resort for any staff. Awful experience in a resort we had assumed to be top notch.
2) One staff member in particular, Wendy, was very unhelpful. For example, when we asked her for help, she would often reply with a monosyllable. and walk away. When my partner asked if we could rent snorkel equipment one day after searching for someone to help us at the seemingly deserted resort she replied, "Breaktime", and walked away without offering to help us. Another time my partner asked if the resort restaurant had a microwave to heat up his pancakes (which had arrived at the table cold), and she replied, "No", and walked away yet again without asking to help us or what she could do to help us. I furthermore felt umcomfortable asking her questions as she always had the saddest, most miserable face I have ever seen! She looked like she was in distress at every second, and any question I asked seemed to heighten that sadness and distress. She never smiled, and I hesitated to ask for her help as she was so unhelpful to begin with. The most unhelpful staff member I have ever come across - I suggest that she not be tasked with greeting or working with guests. I have also read other reviews that mention her specifically.
3) The library: Upon reading the Coral Bay brochure, I read that the resort had a large library with several books. Upon looking at the library, I discovered that almost all the books provided are in Danish or French, as well as all the games and puzzles! There were almost no English books to be read! I was extremely disappointed as the brochure (written in English) had specifically mentioned a library as I assumed, as the brochure was marketed towards English speakers, and given that we are in the Philippines, that there would be some English books, games, or puzzles provided to pass the time. Extremely misleading!
4) The treks: Most of the trails on the island are infested by mosquitos, are not clearly marked, and basically require bushwhacking with nothing less than a machete. My partner and I attempted to hike the trails (which, in the brochure and on the website, were promised to be doable in flip-flops), and were shocked! I am a hiker and mountain climber and I have treked in several countries around the world. These trails were not fit for a casual hiker. My partner and I got lost several times because of poor marking, we were eaten alive by swarms of mosquitos, my partner injured his feet from the rough terrain, and most of the trails were overgrown by bushes! Very disappointing yet again! The website is misleading and incorrect!
5) Ghost fees: My partner and I were provided free transportation as the resort is a far from the airport - a boat ride and a van ride. At the end of our stay, we were presented with the bill and found that we were being charged PHP 2500, or nearly US $60, to be transported back to the airport for our flight leaving Coron. At this point, with no other choice for transportation back to the mainland, we were forced to pay this hidden fee, as the staff insisted that only our trop coming to the resort was included. My partner and I were very angry at this hidden cost when we were told differently at the beginning of our stay.
6) Quality: My partner and I were served powdered juice in the morning as part of our "included breakfast", and my partner was terribly disappointed with the meat served as the sausages were canned and tasted awful. We expected more from a resort which promotes itself to be a high-quality place to stay.
7) No air-con, hot water, or electricity during the day. My partner and I expected no electricity during the day, but were disappointed to discover that all the showers use only cold water...and it is COLD! Be prepared!

Overall my partner and I would not recommend this resort. Perhaps it will be different for people who come her specifically to dive, but for us, it was a huge disappointment. We will never come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My 3 friends and I had an amaaaazing time here. We stayed for 5D4N, and it is definitely not enough time to soak up all the goodness this island and its surroundings have to offer! First things first, do note that this is a uber remote island in the middle of almost nowhere with all its food/necessities brought in via boats, so don't expect everything to be available, and electricity and water to be 24/7 running and hot. This is island life, at its best and most basic. (At least there's wifi near the reception!) Bring lots of Off Lotion!

We got the last beach hut at the end of the island. A tiny bit of a trek from the restaurant, but we didnt mind as it made for a bit of an adventure every night after dinner. The hut has basic necessities. Beds for all of us, a decent shower and toilet, 3 fans each facing a bed (well thought out i must say), electricity from dawn to dusk only. It took us a day or so to settle into the island life routine and getting used to cold water, limited electricity and limited access to internet, but once we got into it, it was kinda uplifting. Like being released from the grip of the fast-paced city life. Thank god we were a bunch of pretty easy-going travellers, so we eased in really quickly. Food at the restaurant was decent. The mango shake was amazing! We only hoped the meal portions were a bit more filling because we were all soooo starved from a day chokefull of activities! (we are pretty big eaters too.) I would suggest bringing some extra food like instant cup noodles and snacks just in case! (Some marks & spencer digestive biscuits for the island dive instructor would make him a very happy man)

Diving. YOU MUST DIVE. Must must must. If you come to Coron.. and skip diving, you are wasting the trip. It was my first diving experience and I am so glad I did it here in Coron. I was blown away by the reefs, corals, fishes and everything in the ocean. It was pristine, colourful and full of life. The reefs surrounding the resort is beautiful and I could easily snorkle there daily (for the rest of my life if i could). Tons of jellyfishes, jackfish, clownfishes, starfish, stone fish, butterfly fish. You name it. We went on a boat to other dive sites like coral garden, lusong gumboat, and other ship wrecks and they were all beautiful, especially coral garden (saw a sea turtle there). I count myself so so lucky to have dived here and will definitely go back again to visit all the other dive sites. Steve, our dive instructor was amazing! Very thorough with his instructions, very helpful and friendly as well! He was kinda like our host at the resort too! Couldn't have asked for a better dive instructor.

Island hopping was a great experience too! Kayangan lake is a MUST-SEE. The most beautiful body of water I've ever seen. Even locals go there for a swim! Seven islands was nice too but then it started raining so we had to cut short our snorkling!

All in all, we absolutely enjoyed our stay. It's a tiny piece of paradise and I really hope it will stay this way for a long long time. May the dark dark hands of ugly tourism and commercialism never touch this island!

xx

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our boat ride from Concepcion Pier and the approach to the jetty of the resort at Popototan Island was very dramatic thanks to the sunset. The sunrise was equally stunning as I opened my beach front cottage as the light flooded the front porch, the native hammock swaying and the placid clear water gently lapping about few feet away. I had a good night sleep despite the small size of the cottage that only has a fan and the natural sea breeze to cool the room. It helps that the bed was quite sturdy and the pillows were aplenty and supple. The bathroom was a bit of a challenge to maneuver at day time when electricity isn’t supplied…it’s dark and dingy. Although the new rooms I heard have better ventilation and have air-well.

The beach wasn’t as attractive as I hope for. It’s a good place to survey the environment as it’s surrounded with mangroves which promised a variety of species. The restaurant serves Western food and it’s ok, nothing to rave about but nothing to complain either. The internet was surprisingly FAST and available around the reception area. Most importantly, the staffs were so helpful and accommodating that you tend to relax a few hours or a day upon arrival.

Room Tip: The cottage on it's own near the restaurant has the best view. Room 1 is good too where we staye...
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's the only resort of the island, and only 1 restaurant for no choice, but we didn't care that much, it's all about nature, the cottage is deco with shell and bamboo and rock of islands, no much modern work, you can feel the breeze of the sea when lying in hammock right in front of room; the staffs are very nice and helpful with cleaning, food ordering, and diving gear set up. Don't forget to order all kind of milkshake, the best I've tried ever. The only WiFi received is closed the reception, and electricity only offered from 6 PM to 6 AM, so, forget everything about work and try to free yourself away from world, just bring your bathing suit and snorkeling gear will be the best luggage for the trip. (They need cash better than credit card--no bank on that island)

Room Tip: Choose the beach front room is much valued that garden view.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a pretty straight review there are some good and bad things about this place.

The Good
-Great remote setting little island on the edge of the South China sea, remote and peaceful.
-Decent hiking around the Island to keep you occupied for half a day.
-Great kayaking around the island, well worth a day or an evening as long as you are up for a decent paddle.
-Less than an hour by boat from Black Island which is a great half day/day trip, one of the best in Busuanga (maybe best) with great snorkelling, caves and lovely beach.
-Nice setting for the actual resort, only con is not being able to see the sunset unless you walk an hour or kayak for 30 mins.
-Our room was upgraded to a cottage, guess they had a spare? Great views of the bay from the cottage, worth it over the rooms. Great decoration and feeling in the rooms too.
-Decent value on the food for the price you should be happy.
-Didn't dive so no idea about that but their dive shop looked top notch.

The Strange
-Management don't quite seem to understand the difference between doing business and customer service. When booking our flights back to Manila I called and asked how long the free boat transfer took and it was stated at 45 minutes. Booked the appropriate flight with time to get from Resort to Coron to the Airport but the transfer is actually 2 hours and includes 75 minutes in a van. Obvously this needs to be pointed out, i cant assume that their is a van trip included. I called to ask, webiste fine print that I didn't read is not a good excuse. Sometimes it's 2 hours on a boat sometimes 75 mins in van 45 mins on boat but this was not made clear. The owner wasn't happy to answer these simple questions politely either and suggested we email for the details of the transfer. The email didn't include the transfer time duration just departure times. This meant we had to pay for a private transfer back to catch our flight, supposedly 2500p but they never include VAT and tax so everything is always 20% more unlike everywhere else in the world which includes these costs in the price, obviously. We were also told we had to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight for check in to convince us we needed to take the private transfer which is a lie, it's 30 minutes. This was because another group wanted to stop on the free transfer for some snorkelling which we couldn't afford the time for. I had enquired about the transfer the day before also and got a very 'yeah yeah yeah, its no problem to get the airport in time (please go away)' type reply too. In addition to this the first phone call we made from their office in Coron attracted an extremely rude reply, suggesting we sort this out at their office on the island, not in Coron in a very condescending way. On the other had they were very nice for most of the time we were there, and gave us good recommendations as to what we should do with our time there. It just felt a like they were more in it for $$.
-Staff were nice but very mechanical, and the cooks liked to stare out their open window at the customers as they were eating sometimes and also peeing 10 metered behind it, I'm sure there is a toilet no?, off the edge of the footpath too..
-There was a rat living under our bed, it gets in by walking in under the big gaps under the doors, easy to fix... the rat wasn't removed after requested for the last night and twice in our stay ended up on our bed. I understand its a remote island but the rooms aren't cheap.
-Power goes off at 6am, so your fan goes off too, so you can't sleep in it's too hot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
trimixPhilippines, Owner at Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Hi. Thank you for your feedback, it is nice to hear, so we can change, what ever is possible.
The good part, we are happy you enjoyed your stay. Happy you enjoyed your upgrade. We actually often do that, when we have better rooms available, not just because of something... we try to give our guest what we can.
Maybe we are expensive, - but for an island resort, it is the cheapest one you can find, and maybe the most beautiful also?
Regarding your bad part. I am sorry if you felt it like we did not care, - we actually tried to tell a lot about what to do here. When you called out here, you asked for a Coron Island tour, and I said, that it was maybe a good idea, to go here first, before ordering a trip going back 2 hours, to where you actually came from. It was just because, we have a lot of free things to do, and a lot of people appreciate that advise. Then people, as the ones you mention, snorkel on their way back, they saved the boat trip, and got the tour very cheap.
Time to go here: The Van trip takes exactly 45 min. and the boat trip 35 min. We are on an island, an it takes a van and a boat. IF you choose to go the whole way to Coron town by boat, it takes 2 hours (you were offered that one for free, incl. Coron Island, which you wished to buy, before you arrived). - We still have nature factors, as waves, cows on the road, broken bridges etc. that is part of the adventure, going to "the end of the world".
The price for the private transfer, it for the van, the boat is free.
Airport: Really strange system, but the airport are stated as international, so they say 2 hours before. It will be important, in case of flight cancellation. If you are to late, they will not rebook you.- In MNL. for Europe flight, it is 3 hours before. - But of course, it is not for my sake, but for yours, I say it.
Rates and tax/Vat. In the Philippines they add that always, it is Government decided, when it is a business more than 5 years old. Many even ad service charge. We do not do that way in Europe, and it is a strange system, I agree.
About the dishwashers.....Wish you told me right away, I will take care about that right away. Can not imagine anyone would approve such, and I will never! But they are island people, and used to go in the bushes, so it takes time to teach.
The animal in your room, - We actually put up traps under your house, and put poison in a tube on the roof while you were on island tour . But we are also living in the middle of nature, so we fight against the forest right by the resort. - Still, hope to see you here another time, so we can make up for what you did not appreciate.
italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

When we arrived, Monica welcomed us by saying "welcome to our little paradise". And so it was. Beautiful quiet place, great diving, excellent food, great for kajak excursions. Perfect service. We loved it.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the the private bungalows, more quiet and private.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!