“Rude Management, Bad Food and Service” 2 of 5 stars

Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort
Island Hide Away | Coron Busuanga, Palawan Island 5316, Philippines   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Coron
Munich, Bayern, Germany
“Rude Management, Bad Food and Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pros:
- Extremely quiet
- Good atmosphere and character
- Friendly staff

Cons:
- Far away from the beauty of Coron and its surrounding islands
- No compassion to assist us with our transfer to the island (which is stated "included" in the costs), even though we advised our arrival 2 months in advance, the manager only sent an email advising there would be a transfer available the night before where we had no access to wifi to know that this could have been arranged, so we had to make our own arrangement to the island, which was very expensive to get to on our own.
- 4 star pricing for only 2 star service
- Standard facilities (no air con, no tv, no electricity during the day)
- Unprofessional and horrible rude management in comparison to how we had been treated at every other resort we stayed at in the Philippines.
- No affection for hospitality (no welcome and proper introduction, no arrangements for my birthday despite prior notice)
- Tasteless and absolutely boring buffet (dinner was a culinary nightmare and only the birds that were sitting on the dry fish during lunch appreciated it)
- Bad maintenance of equipment and facilities (pool table didn't work, toilet flush was broken, kayaks are in really bad shape - we could have drowned, after swimming at least 2km's pushing the kayak as it was no longer rideable due to a crack in the kayak and we also lost our stuff) When we complained about the kayak, the manager didn't want to hear what we had to say, she grumpily asked us what we wanted to do, we told her we wanted her to make us happy again and she couldn't even suggest a simple thing like perhaps a massage or even a meal, she was however very quick to dismiss us off the island, very unprofessional..
- Completely overpriced (food, rooms, resort, service and setting don't make up for the ridiculous prices)

Worst of all: all this is already mentioned in the other bad reviews, however the management manipulates the facts in the reply.

This place is unprofessional. DONT GO THERE!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Monica w, Manager at Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'll try to answer as nice as possible.
1. Transfer: We have 2 free transfers a day, time benefitting the flight arrivals and departures , it is stated clearly on the web-site , on your voucher. And by mail direct to you..
You did not want to join the schedule, and mailed, that you would come by your self, because you had a day trip. - Your choice!
I mailed you 2 days before, that the Van would be able to make an extra trip for you - which you apparently did not see. From us, Extra Service!
2.Welcoming: You were welcomed in our reception, at the very end of our pier ,by 2 sweet girls, that ...I'm sure was ready to answer all possible questions you may have had.
- And checked you into...private cottage no 5, - which has only perfect reviews everywhere on ALL the travel sites. Our front disk officer took you all the way into your cottage door.
3. Aircon, TV : I really do hope, that you read we do not have that - in ANY rooms here, - All stated on the web-site, and all inclusions for your stay is stated on your voucher...
(We actually do have a 40 inch. TV with 52 channels in the library, free for all - 24 hours / .Info for any new readers / future guests: We will beside fan cottages - have Aircon Cottages (new) available, they will be visible on the web site from July 2013.)
Electricity: It is stated clearly, that We run power 24 hours in Restaurant area, AND 6pm to 6am on the rest of the resort. -
3.If we are unprofessional ? - I do not know, but we try our best to make it as close to paradise as we can. Paradise has a different look for each individual! - We can only make it as we see it, change what people suggest , and hope people like it.
4.Birthday: We can do anything, but people need to ask and order their wishes. - We have employees everywhere, restaurant, bar, reception, rooms...lots of choices for questions and requests.
In your mail you asked for possibility, no order, price or confirmation for anything.
5.Tasteless Food?? A whole buffet, with (I think) great mix of east / west / seafood / fruit / cake, was there for you, 3 times a day! - Amazing if you are used to better.
6. Bad maintenance? - You are in a 3rd world country, maybe that has to be considered.
My personal point of view is that it is a beautiful resort, well maintained, made with care of local materials and western comfort, right In the middle of Coral Reefs, desert islands and white beaches. -
If your toilet did not flush...we do have people that fix that ,same second you say so, most of the times it is caused by people putting paper in the bowl.
About your kayak tour, you made it very difficult for me, by threatening with...THIS review on Trip Advisor, - AND That you are working in Marketing service / trip advisor??, AND that you were able (had the power ) to have us completely removed from Trip Advisor?? - IF I did not made your whole stay free, -you would even law sue us, AND you would not pay a penny for your stay - When I asked what you wanted me to do for you, because you were yelling all the time???
To suggest in your review, that I should have suggested free meal, which is already all included, i find strange to write. ....Or Free massage??? Maybe I could have suggested that, if you were not extremely hostile and loud from first second, even our dive instructor panicked, speaking to you.
You completely denied to pay anything!!! -.
All Because you flip in a kayak?
You signed for, that you are responsible for the kayak, and not go any further than your abilities, that it is your own responsibility.- Maybe that was the point? You were afraid I would charge you for lost mask/snorkel and broken / lost kayak?? -Which you left on the other side of the island around 500 m from the resort, not swimming 2 km. You flipped just outside the beach (surf ??), and walked back!
Never the less, you wanted to leave the island immediately, and I prepared a boat for you. Actually, I did not find your behaviour pleasant or nice at all, so after both of you yelling and threatening me with law sue and Trip Advisor, maybe I really did not see any point in further conversation or the pleasure of having or offering you anything here.
I am sorry we could not please you, but hope you had a great time in Coron.

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Go to Coral Bay and get it all. Spacious housing in native style with neccesary mosquito net and hammock on the terace.
We stayed there for 5 days and they were full of snorkling and well cooked meals by the kichenstaff with a lot of vegetables in every meal, the serving staff is very wel trained and smile all day. The Danish Monica and her husband Ulf run the place as a mother and a father with all good advices for snorkling and diving. They protect and care for there own coral, against all pollutions and damages. Be prepared if mosquito's love you, but never the less go there. Cees and Theo, Weert Holland.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My family and I stayed just before Xmas 2012. Thanks goodness we weren't there at the same time as the people in the review below!

The resort is very peaceful - no music so you just get the sounds of nature. The beach is not the best aesthetically but interesting ecologically with the mangroves. Great reef right off the resort which is good for divers and snorklers. For the Philippines I thought the package was reasonable - lots of places can be overpriced but for transfers, a decent room, food inclusive, free tea, coffee and water I thought the price was fine.

Ton the dive master was lovely and really safety conscious. He took very good care of my 12 and 14 year inexperienced divers. His colleague who's name I didn't catch was equally as safety conscious with my older son and husband who are more experienced. Both of them bent over backwards to ensure a great dive experience.

The rooms were fine. Best pillows I've ever had in the Philippines! The beds were very wide. I would suggest having the generator on a bit longer in the mornings so we weren't woken up by the fan going off and the ensuing heat.

Food was good. Bacon for breakfast everyday. Fresh fish, meat and vegetarian options.

The owners were friendly and helpful. They even went to buy me some not shampoo for one of my children - I hastened to add that the nits would have been contracted elsewhere judging from the stage they were at!!

One suggestion would be some sun loungers.

If I were to visit Coron again I would definitely return to this resort.

Thanks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Denis, Parigi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I just came back from a 5 days stay in Coral Bay. We were a big group with many very young children. All in all, I had a bad experience (with the resort, not with the holiday itself which was very good) and I would not advise anyone to go there, especially with children or person needing special arrangements.

The setting is really tranquil and beautiful and the resort is so relaxing. The only cons is that there's not a proper beach: the closest nice beach is 10 minutes by kayak. There's a beautiful coral wreck just in front of the hotel: it's perfect for snorkeling.

The rooms were awful and creepy. The bed is very bad (just 5 cm foam mattress). There's no electricity during the day. When you consider the price (we paid 8150 php for a room! it's the more expensive hotel we have done in all our life!) it's just ridiculous. They are just the very basic room that are priced around 1500 php anywhere else in the Philippines (I even got air-con at 1500 php!).

The food is buffet style. You must cope to their hours (breakfast from 8 to 10 am, lunch starting 1pm, dinner 7pm). It was the more annoying part with kids who need to eat much earlier. The first day we obtained that the kids could have a meal earlier (6pm) and another day I was offered to get some food before the buffet was open but most of the time we were just waiting with our kids screaming around as they were hungry!
The quality is average: this mean that half of our stay we had delicious food, half it was tasteless and boring.

We are not divers, so nothing to say about their diving facilities but that their dive master left as he was fed up with the owners.

We did unfortunately leave with a very bad taste in our mouth. During our stay we organized a tour that Monica, the owner, arranged for us exploiting the same boat she was already using for a dive. We were not clearly informed about the price nor the destination (despite she will say the contrary). We were let on the island nearly 2 hours more than agreed as the divers made a second dive (no shade, with my 22 months old son and no water nor food!). At the end we found out the kids were paying, the cost of the boat was higher than in their official price list (7000 php for half a day with just 1 island), it was shared between less persons (13) than the ones truly on the boat (15 or 16 so that our shares were higher). When I tried to discuss about this with Monica there was no space for discussion and she even said to me that we were lucky to be let longer on the island as she could see we were enjoying (!!). We said at the end we weren't and she responded "you were, I know, you were".

The owners are not friendly nor are the crew who are the less enthusiastic and ready to serve people I have seen in the Philippines till today.
I feel slightly cheated and anyway uncomfortable with the ridiculous price of everything there. Beverage are expensive, massages are expensive, boat tour are just out of the market. It's also important to make clear that the resort is so far from everything that we did not make the Coron Island tour. And the owners did not help us in finding a good boat trip but just put us on a boat they were using for divers in order to get double money for it.

Pros:
- beautiful setting
- peaceful environment with a lot of outdoor seats and amacas;
- nice coral wreck next;
- good food (most of the time)

Cons:
- awful awful rooms and toilets (how can you go to the toilet without electricity??) for very high price;
- no electricity starting 6 am so that we were always awaken by the hot at 6.30 am max;
- no proper beach in front of the hotel;
- unfriendly and aggressive owners never listening their clients' needs;
- expensive rates for all facilities ( boat rides, beverages, massages, laundry);
- cheating attitude of the owner when organizing the boat tour.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Monica w, Owner at Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Ms. Helene.
Well, well! It was for us and all other Resort guests and staff, very difficult with you and all of your 7 babies from 0 to max.4 years old. Occupying the whole restaurant, and turn it into a kindergarden, playing with our expensive dive and guide books. Childrens music on a laptop and no space for other guests to have a peace full meal, you were very visible during your 5 days, for 24 hours!!
SPECIAL SERVICE:
Very difficult with your orders of special service for your children (that were paying special rate above 2 years, and free below, and before you arrived...it was no problem at all, you would bring everything). I forgot to mention, that all of you had a special rate! - And all of your children had special service...all the time!!
One of our septic blocked during your stay, perhaps dipers? paper? or?? It has been cleaned, and works again, - as before, with no problems.
BEACH: All over Busuanga / Palawan, we have almost only, - very pristine Coral Reefs, Mangrove forests and shallow beaches. It is rare in the whole world. - And it is world famous for this! - AND, we build the resort on the beach, with the all terraces direct to or few meters from the sea....We have no swimming pools, no aircon, only beautiful nature, also inside all the rooms. No electricity during day time, where we run power 24/7 in the restaurant area, to save the diesel for the generator /and safe the environment / corals for exhaust and pollution....Considering we are in a special preserved marine park area.
DIVEMASTER: Hmmmm. I can tell you, that he was actually not really resigning.
SWIMMING: Your children, could easily enjoy, the shallow, water, and white sand, if they would have had parents who would have bothered to go with them, and not only sit, enjoying , while all children were screaming, destroying plants and what else they could reach, - And the fact, that you forgot swim wings and other water toys. Not knowing or bother checking if it was possible to buy in our local fishing village, before you arrived. - As you claim to be travelling a lot in Philippines, would perhaps have given you a hint...No plastic toys in remote places.
The boat tour you mention...were absolutely planned, and everyone knew plan and destination! You even wanted to discuss with the group, returned to me, and said it was a really good plan???
It was meant to be 4 hours, and normally guests enjoy, and say , if they want to return to resort- not a huge problem.. we actually just go! - the quicker we go back, the more other things we ..as staff..can do...we often go there, and stay mostly because of guests.
. I even advised you to do that tour, and warned you , because you wanted to go on a full day tour, leaving your baby here in the meantime...8 month old...I did not want that responsibility for 8-9 hours!! With your baby here, with a local nanny..
During the tour, You came to the boat, and asked if it was time to go, and I said, that you had more time if you wanted, and you said great. I told you I would call you when we would leave!
First when you found out, that it was actually over time, you were so angry, that even your husband got tired of all your complaints, and moved to the other end of the boat. - Reason why you panicked ? - I think, because you left your 8 month old baby in the resort, with a nanny (he did not know) - for 6 hours!!
About the pricing of the tour:
We were 13 guests on the boat, and 2 guides and 2 boat crew - staff do not pay, we work. You got your children on the tour for 1/2 price. So 2 child made 1 adult!! (you brought 4 child).
I am aware, that you were really tired / exhausted and actually crying when you arrived, because you did not get a room with a hammock, and you were the one organising the trip, as you said! BUT you brought 3 small children, and the only room that fit for that many......You also forgot to mention in your review, that our rates are included all meals, land & boat transfer, complimentary coffee, tea and drinking water, use of kayaks, AND you got the stay cheap, even it was in peak season.
You got 4 rooms in same unit, because you were a group of 7 adults and 7 babies/ child all below 3-4 years.. AND I actually DID offer you a Delux room, for no additional costs, but you said it was to far away!!! And turned my offer down.
My conclusion is, that it is very difficult to travel with so (many) small children, - and that your start here were quite exhausting. You came from Siquijor outside Cebu and had to rent a local banca, because the coast guard closed the ferries (typhoon). leaving Siquijor AT 3am in the morning!!
Amazing that you complain here....Night / Local Banca / Big waves / small children??
To try to catch the plane from Cebu....You arrived in Busuanga at 12.50 and arrived in Coral Bay at 2.30pm. It is tooo much for children, too much for parents, and all off you were really tired, hungry and demanding.
I suggest, that you take a more "easy" vacation as long as you have children that age. A lot of your actions were, in my opinion maybe not so wise, considering the age of your babies. I also talked to other (also your husband ) That said they enjoyed the stay, and would return.
Sorry for disappointing you here.
Kind regards
Monica
Visby, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

A very friendly and beautiful resort, rather close to Coron. Amazing food, nice rooms very close to the beach, amazing reef just outside! Also free kayaks, which gives you the possibility to go to nearby beaches.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Soon the four years I was in this place. After that, there were a lot of countries and beaches. But my heart is left here. Those who love nature, solitude,a very tasty meal necessarily here...........................................................................................................................

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Should be on your wishlist! Diver or not, every single cent is worth it!
We were very well taken care from the moment we stepped out from the airport. Their food satisfied our taste buds. All the staff were very accomodating and was very helpful in everyway. The owners took time to chat with us. Not to mention, Monica was even able to arrange an island hopping with just a short notice before flying back to our next dive spot.
I would also like to mention, Gerald did a very good job as our dive master. He was always willing to listen and adjust to our needs. If time permits, we'd love to stay and dive with Coral Bay Beach and Dive Resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Bay Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!