“Wedding venue” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston Rhyn
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Wedding venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had our wedding here in Feb 2013 and it was fabulous. We cannot thank the toastmaster Sean enough for all of his help, both prior to the big day and on the day itself. He made every extra effort to ensure the day ran smoothly and then checked up on us the day after to ensure we had enjoyed our stay and to check our dinner reservations for the evening following the wedding. The reception staff were extremely helpful and supported all the guests with check-in and made us feel very special throughout the stay. The waiters and waitresses for the day worked very hard- both in laying out the room as I had imagined and then serving us all promptly (chn first- a lovely touch) with wonderful food! All of the guests commented on the high standards of the meal during the reception and the hog roast in the evening which was wonderful. There was one hiccup during the day, but this was promptly dealt with and rectified by the toastmaster- we cannot thank him enough and would recommend him very highly!

We had a spa day on the day that followed the wedding and the staff at the spa were also marvelous. As our treatment came later in the evening, they actually extended their opening hours to allow us to relax afterwards- wonderful service!

Excellent stay on both the part of ourselves and our guests! Very impressive!

Room Tip: The canal views are wonderful. The upstairs suites are worth the stairs!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the hotel as part of a Spa Break which included a day at the adjacent Lion Quays Spa and overnight at the hotel (Dinner, B&B).
Typical "Chain Type" room. Clean with a very comfortable bed. We overlooked the canal at the rear. Huge TV.
Bar and Restaurant are a short walk across the courtyard. We considered it more of a pub with an eating area. (Nicos in the Spa offered more contemporary surroundings, in my opinion). Decent Dinner menu. Friendly service from the young Waiting Staff.
Self service breakfast was good with a big choice.

Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Lion Quays as a Valentines break for two nights over the weekend of 15th and 16th February. This is our second visit and we were equally as impressed this time as our last.
The service is always impeccable, each and every member of staff greeted us with a warm and welcoming smile.
Our room was very clean and comfortable with a large bed and television, great toiletries and facilities.
The food was exceptional. We chose from a three course Valentines menu each night and thoroughly enjoyed almost everything we ate. The breakfast is superb with so much choice. We were both so full afterwards that we didn't need lunch!
Just a couple of small niggles. We had some sort of air vent coming into our room (327) that made quite a humming noise through the night. My partners sleep was disturbed greatly and he ended up going for a walk at 3am! This was discussed upon check-out and we were given a £25.00 discount off one night. We were advised the manager would call us ASAP to give us a discount off the first night too. (Still waiting)
The flush on the toilet was broke - nothing too much to worry about.
My sea bass on the first night was overcooked.
On the second evening, we were situated at a table in the restaurant that was directly beneath a very bright and harsh light in the middle of the room, which made for quite an unromantic meal! As it was so busy that evening, we did not request a different table.
These are only very minor niggles though. Myself and my partner will definitely be returning as we have had such a lovely, relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable time both times we've stayed and felt truly pampered.
Thank you to all at Lion Quays for giving us such a special weekend.

Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in early February 2013 & was thoroughly impressed. I travelled to the Lion Quays from a meeting in central Birmingham & had a horrible (3+ hour) journey on a cold, rainy night, so was very, very glad just to reach my destination. On arrival, I had a friendly & efficient check-in & wandered upstairs to a very comfortable room.

The room itself was fairly large & comfortable, very clean & the complimentary mineral water was much appreciated. Like a previous reviewer, my room initially felt a little chilly & I didn't have much joy with the air-con, but the heater in the corner of the room did a good job of making it cosy.

I had dinner in the Waterside Restaurant, which again delivered excellent - and very friendly - service & pretty good food & followed that with an absolutely fantastic night's sleep in a very comfortable bed.

The following morning, I had a really nice surprise on opening the curtains to discover I was looking out over the canal & some lovely countryside, after which I went back down to the Waterside for breakfast, a relatively well-stocked, if unspectacular buffet. Check-out & departure were painless & I felt nicely relaxed for the coming day's work.

I don't feel able to comment on the spa & fitness facilities, as I didn't explore them, but I'm sure they are probably as marvellous as the rest of the facilities! I'll hopefully be back in the area at some point & wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I only stayed in the Lion Quays overnight but definitely intend to return. I arrived at the hotel at 9.15pm to find that usually last orders for dinner were taken in the restaurant by 9.30pm. The reception team called through to say I would be there and I was very pleased to be served for dinner. There is wifi in the bar and restaurant area and you may just pick it up in your room.

The food was very good and the whole experience made effortless and peaceful by the helpfulness of the staff.

The Room was very nicely decorated and clean. There was one tiny piece of wallpaper peeling back behind the top of the radiator but nothing that would merit a complaint.

Location was perfect for me as I was visiting the school directly opposite the following morning. As a result, I got a lie in and a short walk around the grounds. You would never know the A5 was right by the hotel as it is set far enough back from the road to ensure complete quiet. The waterside resort is just stunning.

I didn't get to try the Spa but I plan to return with some friends to the Lion Quays for a Golfing holiday, and I'm sure our wives will make use of the Spa then!

Considering I paid the best room rate of £56 room only. I was overwhelmed by the value I got for my money!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here on a work trip - the room was lovely, very clean and comfortable. My only frustration was the air-con which, for the life of me, I couldn't work out how to use, so my room was a little cold. In all fairness I should have asked a member of staff for assistance but maybe some instructions in the welcome pack would be a good idea.

I dined at the Waterside restaurant which was lovely - service was super quick!

Would love to stay again and, next time, I'll ask about the air con!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Went away here for a birthday weekend with my mum and sister. Spent the Saturday in the spa, once we arrived there we were greeted with a lovely friendly staff member who asked us to fill out a health questionnaire. Once we had done this she gave us a tour of the spa which was absolutely beautiful we had been to a few spas before and were very disappointed by the service we received, but here it was spot on customer service from the moment we arrived the spa was exceptionally clean and tidy with a large selection of treatments available and facilities including a snow experience room which was fabulous. The spa package we had booked included a buffet lunch was served in the heafcliffe restaurant, it was a nice basic buffet with salad, cold meats , soup, pasta, veg and chicken also a selection of desserts. The food was very nice and catered for all tastes. Once again the members of staff were very polite, warming and helpful. We all had a 50 min body massage which was amazing and lasted the full 50minutes ( unlike some spas I've visited which say 50mins and actually rush u in and out quickly in half the time) so the overall spa day was wonderful, excellent value for money and very friendly staff. The hotel is a very short walk away, we were checked in by another lovely friendly member of staff and show to our rooms which were lovely cosy and clean. We ate dinner and buffet breakfast in the waterside restaurant which was absolutely delicious overall an amazing weekend, excellent staff, lovely facilities well worth the money will be going again in the near future.

Room Tip: Good for 3 people as they have adjoining rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lion Quays? Share your experiences!