“What a fantastic place.” 5 of 5 stars

01304 832042
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The East Kent Railway is run solely by volunteers to preserve the last remaining part of the Kent Coalfields  trains currently run from Shepherdswell to Eythorne (a round trip of 4 miles). On some special event days trains will also run on the Wigmore Lane extension. The Railway is also home to the EPB group who preserve and restore Southern Region electric trains.
8 attraction reviews
“What a fantastic place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a brilliant day at the EKR for their classic car rally. The staff are very warm and welcoming, its nice to be somewhere the staff actually enjoy being themselves. Would definitely recommend for all ages.

Visited May 2013

sussex, united kingdom
“A special and unique day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We are a family of 5, with 3 children under 6. Our day out at EKR was so perfect that I am compelled to tell you about this very special place. Its not widely advertised but is run by genuine, passionate and warm individuals who run the railway as their hobby.

The East Kent Railway must not be confused with the larger steam engine lines.The Railway is a short line from one stop to the next in a restored Diesel Engine, while not as glamorous its quirky and a brilliant low cost authentic experience particularly interesting for young children and rail enthusiasts interested in detail of rail travel.The train ride includes the Golgotha tunnel and signal crossings which sees the driver get out and manually close the crossing gate. I thought the countryside beautiful. We saw Alpacas, sheep and waved at the locals at the crossings.

The 1956 Diesel train we traveled on may not sound very exciting compared to your steam engines but there was a sense of a desire to preserve history and experience already lost in rail travel. We sat up in the front carriage and could see the driver through the glass door. A volunteer came round and filled us in on the history of the train, the tunnel and the village of Eythorne. Afterwards our children were invited to sit in the drivers seat by the driver and could ask questions. It was personal and unique and my children loved it. Such a rare find and the antithesis of your big impersonal theme park.

We also visited the miniature railway on platform 2 in a railway carriage which my children spent a good 20 minutes asking questions and enjoying the beautifully made and a very interesting layout. Light rail rides which are 50p,near the cafe were short, very sweet and charming. I found E.K.R very buggy friendly and just big enough for little ones to explore and not find too overwhelming.

The cafe on the same site was serving BBQ meals outside. A children's play area saw my two older children climbing and running around after enjoying our picnic at the picnic tables provided. They were so busy playing we opted for buttercream cupcakes and a cup of tea from the cafe!

I regret I did not get to do the woodland walk nearby but I did have a quick stroll up to the entrance of the woods and I think you could easily take young children and an all Terrain buggy on the walk if needed. I can't wait to come back and explore.

I have no doubt this little hidden gem will become a more popular place as people catch on. I'm just glad I found it first.

Visited April 2013
united kingdom
78 attraction reviews
“Plenty of interesting future developments ahead”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Visited EKR on pound day - ride very short however they are trying to improve facilities on the Saturday staff were busy painting rolling stock etc. All staff are volunteers and they are trying to raise £100,000 to get St Dunstan steam engine steaming again. On talking to member explained how they have been hampered with thieves stealing parts of engines. So if you are around and have an hour or two to spend go for a ride or visit cafe or model shop and help this friendly bunch try to improve this part of mining history.

If you can help them in any way either with skills or financially contact them directly.

Please note you cannot view web on I-phone or certain other mibile devises requiring flash player.

Visited April 2013
Dover, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
“Santa Special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The girls enjoyed a lovely trip on the EKR from Shepherdswell to Eythorne (Lapland). Once there they met Santa and received a Christmas present and we had a glass of sherry and a mince pie. We also had a quick trip on the minature railway and saw the model railway.

Well done to all the volunteers.

Visited December 2012
Ramsgate
4 attraction reviews
“Great day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We visited the railway for their annual beer festival and had a really good day. The selection of beers was first class as was the barbecue. A locally made burger washed down by a pint of Gadds' Black Pearl Oyster Stout on a warm sunny afternoon in good company surrounded by railway stock really takes some beating.

Visited August 2012