“A Phenomenal Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GiaMia Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Campo di Fano
GiaMia Villas
You added GiaMia Villas to your Saves list
#20 Via Sulmona | Adjoining Sulmona Township, 67030 Campo di Fano, Prezza, Italy   |
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“A Phenomenal Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This past month, we had the amazing experience of having a family reunion in this beautiful villa! Our cousins travelled from all over the world and this place easily accommodated 18 people.
The views from the balcony were just breathtaking! In September we had our pick of grapes, figs, apples, spices for cooking, and more, on a daily basis. Arnie graciously picked full bowls of figs each morning and put them on the table for us in our "community area". All the suites have kitchens; each suite has its own unique flavor and décor. There are laundry facilities and all the conveniences of home. Mike, our host, picked us up at the train station and graciously took us grocery shopping so we could stock the kitchen. He brought us back to the station when we were going home. However, I would have liked the area a little close to our family town of Sulmona. If you had a car, it was no problem; less than 10-minute drive. Unfortunately, we rarely saw the bus that was supposed to be our transportation. Some of the cousins did have cars and that was our transportation. Sulmona is an amazing little city in the Abruzzo region that allows you to experience the "true" Italy. If you've seen the big cities of Rome, Venice, Florence, etc. try Campo di Fano and cities like Sulmona next time. You will have memories for a lifetime!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bristol, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have just returned from my third visit to Italy and I still cannot say enough good about the time spent with Mike at GiaMia. I stayed each time at his Villa and each time I feel more at home and I have no thoughts of going anywhere else. I am planning to go back to Italy this September and am planning the trip around the availability of a GiaMia villa. The layout of each villa is conducive to comfort, convenience and privacy. I cannot stress the hospitlity Mike shows and how he makes the guests feel like family. He is very knowlegable of Italy and the area activities and willing to share his knowledge with he guests to insure they get the best experiences available. Mike is a dedicated ambassador to Italy and their customs and traditions. It is not difficult to make the decision to return to Italy with Mike waiting to greet you.

Try it; you will love it and evertything Italy, GiaMia and Mike have to offer.

Roger from Bristol, Connecticut

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent 3 wonderful weeks at Giamia in Campo di Fano. We stayed on the top floor and the villa was just as it appeared in pictures, beautifully furnished with everything we needed and gorgeous views of lush green mountains. We were there during an unusually hot spell and having a washer & dryer available was an added plus. We cooked the majority of our meals there and even experimented with new recipes using ‘red garlic’ which is grown right on the property. But the best part of our trip was meeting Mike, his lovely wife Olga and their granddaughter, Ciara. They immediately made you feel like part of their family, very friendly, helpful and interesting to talk to. Mike even invited us to an “Immigrant Dinner” in Campo di Fano and we really saw the true Italian hospitality. Everyone was so gracious and friendly and even though we didn’t speak Italian, it didn’t matter, they made you feel welcome. We also attended church service with Mike and his family in a beautiful little church right in the middle of the village.

During our stay, we ventured north to L’Aquila; south to Naples and Pompeii; east to Pescara and the beautiful Adriatic Sea; and, west to Rome, Tuscany and Florence. But, once again, the best part of our stay was Mike. What a wonderful person, he’s so nice and accommodating, always available to answer any questions or give recommendations (to delicious restaurants) and all the while, very respectful of our privacy. He made us feel like family and that is such a reassuring blessing when you are traveling. We feel honored to call him and his lovely family “our friends” and we’ll definitely be coming back to our ‘Italy home’. Thanks again Mike, we had a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

August 2012

After arriving back home we (my wife, daughter and I) realize how much we love and now miss Italy, especially the Abruzzo. Just driving out of Rome to Abruzzo was breataking and arriving in Campo di Fano which is just outside of Sulmona was simple and emotionally gratifying. Yes this little comune or "paese" is where my maternal family is from but it wouldn't of mattered anyway it's just beautiful. Upon arrival at the Gia Mia Villas we were instantly greeted by Mike & Olga and given the royal tour of our accomodation. There is nothing to complain about, alot of work went into these villas and it shows. The best part was the view from our balcony which overlooked the Abruzzi mountains from which we could see other comunees ie Introdacqua, Bugnara & Sulmona. In the evening it was equally beautiful with lights illuminating the mountains. The suite itself was comfortable and had all the anemities, spacious, clean and safe !
One big advantage about these villas is it's location, your only 5 minutes from Sulmona which is such a pretty little medievil city to walk around and has all the anemities that one may need. This area is practically in the middle of Italy and taking day trips was made easier.
You will be drawn to this area by it's beauty, fresh air, water and of course the cuisine. Staying at the Gia Mia Villas adds to the Abruzzi ezperience.
We hope to go back one day and bring the whole family this time
Thank you Mike, Olga & Chiara !
Fabio & Mary and of course Evelyn

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

GiaMia

Just outside Sulmona is a place where you can relax, unwind and enjoy the view of the beautiful mountains of Abruzzo.  Mike Giammarco is your host and he takes personal responsibility for your exploration and enjoyment of Abruzzo.   Our first night he took us to a local festival that was a wonderful introduction to the culture of the region.  His spacious and comfortable apartments make an ideal base for exploring this exciting and untouristed part of Italy.  The view from our patio was spectacular.

I was looking for family connections high up in the hills, Mike did all that he could including acting as translator to make sure I found what I was seeking.  I will return to GiaMia.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

My husband and I were in Italy so that I could do research for a book, and I needed to stay in the Sulmona area as my grandmother's village is close by and has no hotels. I chose GiaMia over the Sulmona hotels for a number of reasons. First, we decided that we needed more than just a hotel room. GiaMia has a full kitchen, living area, bedroom and bath. In addition, there is a HUGE deck with views of the mountains and river valley on each level as well as a washer and dryer. Of course, there is free parking and a nice garden through which you are free to walk among the fruit, vegetables and flowers. it is wonderful.

Secondly, I contacted Mike via email and got an immediate response. He answered all of my questions PLUS others I forgot to ask. I could tell he was a great guy and focused on helping his renters.

When we arrived, we got lost trying to find the flat, and Mike drove to get us so we could follow him back. He showed us where to find the grocery, bank, historic center and Saturday market in Sulmona. He was also kind enough to help me find people who could aid me in my research.

Moreover, Mike went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He gave us watermelon, figs, artichokes, wine, a little limoncello, and he invited us to walk through the garden and help ourselves to grapes or figs. He's a great host.

I do suggest that you have a car if you're going to stay as the villas are a bit far to walk most places. With a car, you'd be able to explore L'Aquila and Abruzzo easily on daytrips. You could also hit Rome (2 hours away), Assisi (2 hours or so), and a few other places quite easily.

We will be heading back to Italy, and we will be staying at GiaMia again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Campo di Fano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

GiaMia is a modern and spacious villa set on the outskirts of a small Italian village, Campo di Fano. Although rural, it is close to a city, Sulmona, where there is ample shopping, dining and tourist attractions. My most precious memories of GiaMia are the personal experiences we had with our neighbors and the local people in the village. This unique opportunity to become immersed in the culture was provided by the owner of the villa and our host, Mike, who introduced us to people and invited us to local events. GiaMia is in an excellent location...by car, 45 minutes to the beautiful beaches of Pescara, 1.5 hours to Rome and 2 hours to Naples. We rented a car and drove around the countryside, thrilled to see the ancient mountainside villages, most with their own castle, the beautiful scenery along the national park mountain roads, the farms, vineyards and saphron fields. A short drive into L'Aquila exposed us to the ruins of the 2009 earthquake and the amazing process of rebuilding. One of my favorite places was our own suite with its large deck overlooking the villa's fruit, flower and vegetable gardens, the river valley, Bugnara across the valley and the Autostrada in the background. This was a wonderful place to return each evening after touring.

I would highly recommend this accomodation to anyone seeking to avoid nonstop lineups in impersonal tourist venues. I was able to feel and live the culture in a quiet, unrushed and very personal way. That, to me, is the magic of GiaMia .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to GiaMia Villas? Share your experiences!