“A brilliant and educational day out!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Wilstead
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Zoos & Aquariums
London
13 attraction reviews
“A brilliant and educational day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

It's hard to add to what previous reviewers have said here. It's the perfect experience for me with interesting wild animals, dedicated and knowledgeable and friendly staff, and the chance to get really close to the birds (and I do mean really close!). I learnt a lot about the birds and their care, and a little more about myself at the same time. My wife gave me the half day 'Eagle Experience' as a birthday present and I've rarely had a better one. We arrived 3 hours early so that we could see all the birds in their enclosures and on their day-perches. As others have mentioned, the facilities are basic but OK, but we had the luck to be there on a 'Flying Day' at Old Warden airfield next door, where we had lunch in the restaurant (a five minute stroll from the Bird Centre). So we saw some of the flying machines they have in the collection too. They're a lot noisier and more awkward than the birds, needless to say. After lunch our 'Experience' started at 2pm and lasted until gone 5pm. Lots of handling and then the pleasure of seeing birds flying from a perch to land on your own gloved hand. You could feel the weight and power of these beauties and admire their plumage really close up - an experience you'd never get in the wild or in a zoo!

Harlow, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
“Excellent day out, dedicated staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had a grerat day at the Birds of Prey centre. It is amazing to see these beautiful animals close-up and to have such enormous creatures land on your arm and eat from your (heavily-gloved) hand. The keepers are clearly dedicated, they love the birds, and have incerdible knowledge which they are happy to share.

The 'practicals'- parking for the centre is just passed the hangers for the Shuttleworth Collection and there is no charge for parking. You can pay your entry at the Shuttleworth Collection entrance. Do phone ahead if you have any questions at all as the staff are all very helpful as well as knowledgeable. Entry is £12, but is included in many of the 'experiences' purchased on the internet- ask if in doubt.

You do need to be practical, these birds are carniverous so there is raw meat being fed to them and it is not neccessarily a pretty sight for those not experienced in country matters; and the location is rural and the toilet facilities basic, but they are there.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
“Magical experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visited the Bird of Prey centre for an afternoons 'Owl Experience'. Fantastic stuff.
Loads of different species to see in the centre before our 'experience' allowed us to handle and fly various owls. Our group consisted of 12 people, so we weren't hanging round for ages waiting a turn- I wouldn't really have wanted the group to be any bigger. I think we all had the same soppy grin as the owls swooped silently to the glove! (Bring a camera!)
There was also a flying display and presentation featuring other hawks, eagles, condor etc.

The staff were all friendly, helpful and obviously knew and really cared for their birds.

I fell in love a hundred times over this afternoon and now kinda really want an owl..... sigh...

You can get some cracking deals on voucher sites for the various experience days, which I'd really recommend. A wonderful and unusual day out.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Rip off.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Charged £9 x2 to park on the airfield. Then walked up to the Bird of prey centre and told we had to pay another £12 x2 to enter.
Sooooo not worth that much.
Should be ashamed advertising it as £12 each to enter.
Toilet facilities are a complete shambles too.

Herts
21 attraction reviews
“Excellent 'experience'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had visited this attraction a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much so my wife bought me an 'Owls & Eagles Experience' day for my last birthday and booked for us to attend yesterday. As well as the flying display open to all ticket holders, we enjoyed an afternoon of knowledgeable presentations delivered by a young man (John) who was obviously devoted to his subject and able to communicate his enthusiasm with clarity and humour. We got to hold the raptors and to experience them flying onto our arms which is quite something when a female bald eagle lands on you - they are heavy!! I can thoroughly recommend this both as a general family day out and as a half day experience which obviously costs significantly more because of the extra personalised attention.