“Riding with four legged friends in Mareira” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quinta do Riacho

Quinta do Riacho
Caminho da Levada da Serra | Sitio da Achada do Barro, Santo Antonio da Serra, Madeira 9000, Portugal
+351 967 010 015
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Enjoy Madeira Island wonderful weather, breathtaking taking views and great trails on horseback. In Quinta do Riacho there's an equestrian activity for everyone. From calm trail riding to galloping through the mountains.
Pershore
“Riding with four legged friends in Mareira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The horse riding was arranged for my Birthday by my partner as he'd seen the great reviews on Trip Advisor. Paula and Paulo collected us from our hotel and drove us to the stables. They are the loveliest couple on the island, very easy to get on with and caring. I haven't ridden before so Paula took great care in making sure I was safe and comforable with Verde the horse. Being able to trek through the national park is fantastic, the scenery is beautiful even in January when the leaves are on the ground. (Take a jacket as it does get rather nippy when the sun goes down).
All the horses are rescue horses as are all 14 dogs. If I could I'd have adopted at least two of them !
Paula explained that its expensive to import all that the horses require but I think its important to support an independant buisiness that cares for the welfare and rehabilitation of animals.
Good Luck Paula and Paulo Xx

Visited January 2013

UK
6 attraction reviews
“Safe, fun and spectacular. Paulo is just so enthusiastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We are novice riders so Paulo ensured we were comfortable and happy on our horses before we set off. He genuinely seemed to have chosen horses to suit us. Tips. Take a jacket it did get cool the higher we got. Heavy trousers / jeans to protect your legs from the stirrup straps. Wear old cloths as the dogs jump on every one they meet, and there are 14 or 15 of them. But don't be put off they are just big soft friendly puppy's. on our ride it was just Paulo and my wife and I, he kept up a running commentary the whole of the time, my horse " Venus" was in a bit of a mood today and wanted to eat the vegetation , despite my best efforts , in the end we compromised and I let her eat some of the time and this seemed to satisfy her. Included in the price Paulo collected us and dropped us off at our hotel, we ended up discussing world history and politics !! He is a very friendly and well educated man who likes to share his views, my kind of tour guide.
If you have ever fancied trying horse riding just do it, I would recommend this outing to any one.
Thanks Paulo. C & B

Visited January 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Walking the levadas with gentle giants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

A friendly Paulo picked us up from the hotel and drove us and one other rider up into the nature park where the trusty steeds are kept, along with some 14 exuberant puppies all wanting to be your Best Friend. Once there he checked on our capabilities (as one would hope and expect) by watching us ride the selected horses in the menage and then we were off along the levada trail. My boyfriend who'd never been on a horse before was well looked after and swiftly learned the basics of how to communicate with the horse.

We were really impressed with the horses well-being and that all looked fit. I brought my own hard hat with me, but I was pleased to see decent (and new!) hard hats being given out. Paulo took great care to match horse with rider and we had a great day learning about the flora and fauna of the nature reserve and more about each horse. Would definitely go again. My only request on the horses behalf is that experienced riders also make the effort to go out as a party so that they (and Paulo!) get a good gallop.

Visited November 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Second visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed it so much 12 months ago that we returned for a second (and longer) ride this time. Great fun and great scenery. See you next time!

Visited December 2012
Sundsvall, Sweden
“Nice ride in the clouds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We where all on diffrent levels in the riding. But we got the opportunity to trott and canther if we wanted to, witch we did. Really nice horses!! well feed and taken care of at the stabel. They have both Ponys and Horses. A diffrent way to se Madeira from the Horseback. Friendly owners that guide us though the reservate where we sometimes ride close to the cloudes.

Visited December 2012