“A wonderful place, but with a caveat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel

You added The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel to your Saves list
The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hamlet 1, Dien Duong Village | Dien Ban District, Dien Duong, Hoi An, Vietnam   |
Hotel packages
Hotel virtual tour
Offers & Announcements
Romance in Style
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dien Duong
Rhinebeck, New York
“A wonderful place, but with a caveat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We cannot say enough about the quality of our stay at the Nam Hai. It was a wonderful experience from a food and service point of view, and we relaxed completely during our stay. We particularly enjoyed the breakfasts and the Indian food at dinner. The pool area was beautiful and especially haunting at night.

The beach was nice, though not stellar (please note that we live near beaches rated the best in the world, so we are spoiled in that regard).

All that being said, I have to agree with comments in other reviews about the architectural issues with the infrastructure. Someone clearly let the architects run rampant. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, but treacherous.

The entire structure is comprised of black mottled marble without safety lighting, so one cannot see steps easily. I suspect that the architect rejected such lighting as being deleterious to the desired esthetic effect. The rooms, although "drop-dead gorgeous", suffer from the same failure, and one has to be very careful in order to avoid falling down ill-lit stairs or into the tub (situated at the head of the platformed, floor level beds).

The lighting issues and safety hazards were particularly ironic given the prevailing age of the clientele (over 45). The guests all joked about the need to be careful and to use flashlights at night.

That being said, the hotel was indeed beautiful, and the service was the best we have experienced in years.

Room Tip: Try for a villa near the beach (they are situated in "U" shapes).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Vietnamese first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel is our secret paradise. Having wanted to go there for a while, i was a little worried that it would not live up to my expectations. I need not have worried!

Staff at the Nam Hai have thought of everything. The service is fabulous, the villas are stunning (we stayed in a standard villa if you can call them standard!), the pools are lovely, breakfast is great, the beach is clean and quiet...

We spent 2 weeks in Vietnam, touring around the first week and then relaxing at the Nam Hai in the second week. The week there concluded an amazing holiday.

The hotel is about 10 mins drive from the cenre of Hoi An, which we also loved due to its vibrant but cosy atmosphere. There are free shuttle buses from the hotel into Hoi An. Slightly odd times for us so we didn't actually catch one in but it was only about £3-4 for a taxi. The last return bus at 9:30 was perfectly timed as a lot of places in Hoi An close between 9 and 10.

The villas were beautiful. All of them face the sea and have a large area of sand in front of them. Inside, they are spacious, modern, have perfect air conditioning, large bathrooms, indoor and outdoor showers and lovely toiletries. The turn down service is good, I think they must know when you leave the room as we were not disturbed once.

The resort is large so they provide a buggy service to drop you at between the villa and reception/ breakfast etc. We walked on occasion but as temperatures were hitting 39 degrees C we did use the buggy service most of the time. The staff were always friendly and polite.

One of the things that was clear about this resort is that they look after their staff, who all seem very happy to work there. There is a good management presence with management holding welcome drinks twice a week to meet new guests. This is a really nice touch as it makes you feel like they do actually care and you aren't just another number.

We often get bored of staying in the same place, and go out and about, but I have to confess that we didn't actually leave the Nam Hai during the day for the duration of our stay there. This is testament to how fabulous the place is. I think this is from a combination of the very welcoming staff, particularly pool side (the poolside supervisor does a brilliant job), the variety in terms of the pools (3 to choose from) and the stunning view looking out to sea.

On arrival we were given a voucher for a complimentary couples spa session (which was amazing) and a complimentary 3 course lunch (lovely). Again, this was a great touch. We were also presented with a complimentary bottle of wine (and then another later in the week for reasons which I won't divulge here but was not expected and for which we were very pleased and grateful). They also give you a small but thoughtful leaving gift on your last day.

Food and drinks in the hotel are pricey but I wouldn't say that is any different from any other 5 star resort. Soft drinks in the minibar are complimentary. We only had dinner in the hotel restaurant once but had lunch and breakfast every day. Portions are well sized so we tended to share one dish. If you want to go elsewhere in the evening, Morning Glory in Hoi An was the best of the restaurants that we tried.

I was disappointed as we asked for a late check out but someone else was booked into our room so we had to vacate. However, without prompting, we were given another villa to use to get ready in rather than having to use the health centre. We got a glimpse of a pool villa because of this and they did look amazing. The pool was a decent size, big enough to swim in rather than a plunge pool.

Would I go back to this hotel? Without a shadow of a doubt. I absolutely loved it and would thoroughly recommend it. It is definitely worth paying that bit extra for.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view of the sea so I wouldn't particularly worry about paying for a seaf...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We used to go to The Datai, Langkawi at least twice a year. But since they have changed management, we decided to find our new 'retreat' somewhere else. We decided to be loyal to GHM and find other hotels within its portfolio. As soon as we arrived at the Da Nang Airport, we were greeted by the lovely chauffeur who took us in a large SUV with an internet access onboard (this is handy esp. if you are waiting for that important email from work)! the journey from the airport took approximately 30mins, door-to -door. We arrived at The Nam Hai around lunch time, and we were greeted by the Resident Manager and 7 other staff. I felt like a royalty doing an official visit! Our villa was at the very end on the compound (Villa 1010) and it has 3 bedrooms and a large swimming pool . Houng, our butler was very attentive and helpful from the start. We couldn't thank him enough for his service and knowledge about the Nam Hai and the surrounding areas. Private transport to Hoi An was included if you stay at the pool villa. We ate out most of the nights whilst we were there as there were so much food to chose from in town. We found that the food at the main restaurant was excellent although some might say that the price was slightly overpriced for Vietnamese standard.
Since we have a private pool, we never used the 3 big main pools. Our villa directly overlooking the South China Sea and the view was breathtaking.We definitely come back to the Nam Hai (soon)!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

You can read a lot about the resort here, the villas are wonderful, the pools, the beach, the proximity to Hoi Ann - all fantastic. What set this resort apart for us was the quality of the service. Nothing was too much trouble for the team at Nam Hai. We had an unfortunate illness that landed a family member in hospital. The response from Nam Hai was amazing. They swung into action with medical assistance, transport, & basically transformed the hospital room to an annexe of Nam Hai with freshly made beds, towels, robes & special food. A credit to Hoiang, Sanri & Lien for the wonderful service they provided. We"ll definitely return to enjoy it all again (sans hospital visit!).

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Let me preface this review with a bit of information about the nature of our stay and our expectations. We travelled as a couple and stayed in a 1 bedroom pool villa for just over a week. We are seasoned travellers who enjoy high end luxury hotels and resorts. Aman Resorts in particular are our favourites for quality of accommodation, location and service. We are very fussy so keep that in mind when you read the review. My review of The Nam Hai is in comparison to other hotels in the same price category e.g. Aman Resorts, Four Seasons etc, although the Nam Hai does offer a few extra inclusions.

Location – Lovely beach, great that the resort is so easily accessible to the town of Hoi An. We ate there most nights, you’ll see why when you read below re resort food.

Villa – Hmmm that’s a tough one. It’s amazing in that it’s so huge. A separate living pavilion, a separate sleeping pavilion, a very generous size private pool – this is no plunge pool, and lovely grass area around the pool and in front of the pavilions. However the actually design and décor of the rooms was frustrating. It definitely felt like an architect had designed the interior and not an interior decorator. It’s all about the look and not about the practicality or comfort. As I said the living pavilion was enormous but we only used it a couple of times. It felt more like a boardroom than a living room. A huge square 8 seater table bang smack in the middle of the room (why for a 1 bedroom villa??) and the only other seating were on each four corners of the very large room. There was a flat screen TV on one wall but I couldn’t find a comfortable vantage point to sit and watch it. If you sat at the table, which we did once for afternoon tea, it felt like you were waiting for a meeting to be called to order. It would have been far more preferable to have comfortable lounges surrounding a coffee table i.e. somewhere you could actually sit comfortably!
The raised bed on the platform in the bedroom was also ridiculous and if you have any mobility issues do not stay at this resort as getting in and out of bed would become a daily chore. We’d heard a lot about the turn down service, with one reviewer going as far as to say that he didn’t want to say too much in case he spoiled the surprise. As you can imagine I was looking forward to returning to the villa on our first night but couldn’t see anything spectacular about the turn down service at all. The curtains around the bed were drawn and the lighting dimmed. Music would only be playing if we had actually left it on before we left. The only other thing was that two burned down candles were also lit but in a room that size it made no impact whatsoever. So not sure if our butler didn’t go the whole hog but the turn down service was nothing out of the ordinary.

Service – I’ll keep this to mainly the butler that was assigned to our villa. I found the staff elsewhere in the resort to be friendly and efficient. Nothing more or less than what I would expect from a resort of this calibre and certainly not in the league of any Aman Resort. The butler service sounded great on paper but in all honesty it was all a little awkward and contrived. Not sure if our butler was new to the job but he seemed very nervous and ill at ease. He was lovely and polite but by the third day it would’ve just been easier for me to deal with the concierge/housekeeping for anything we wanted. He did book restaurants for us but didn’t really have any recommendations and even restaurants that are well known in the area he was unaware of and at one time even asked if we could provide him with the telephone number to make the booking!! Service during the days was inconsistent, - one day there would be ice and water bought out to us at our pool, the next day nothing. I would also sometimes sit out by the main pool and after being there for an hour and parched in the 37C heat still had no water bought over by the pool staff until I asked for it – unacceptable. The inclusions in the villa were a daily replenished mini bar, afternoon tea, evening canapés and drinks, and laundry service. Out of all the above the laundry service was a wonderful thing to be able to have done on a daily basis. The mini bar consisted of 4 beers, some mixers and some soft drinks. In the living room there were decanters of gin, vodka and scotch (not top shelf brands) – these could be used throughout the day and were also the drinks offered in the evening. We were also given the choice of one bottle of either red or white wine – just the one for the stay. So unless you’re into beer or spirits the one bottle of wine doesn’t go too far and wine prices at the hotel are on the steep side – cheapest bottle of white wine about $70 after taxes and service.

Resort Food – The breakfast was lovely, with great variety and it was nice to order the hot food a la carte rather than having it all sitting out. That’s where the good stops. I don’t expect the Nam Hai to charge the same prices as the local restaurants. I understand that staying in such a resort a premium will and should be charged for dining there but to charge $20 for a bowl of lentil dahl in the main restaurant and $18 for 2 spring rolls (I repeat 2) in the Vietnamese restaurant is just insulting to the intelligence of the guests. I dislike being nickel and dimed and the one night we dined in the resort left me feeling robbed and bitter. We didn’t do it again. Again I’ve eaten in many 5 star resorts and the prices at The Nam Hai, for quantity and quality, are the most expensive I can remember.

Overall we had a very pleasant and relaxing stay at the Nam Hai. The resort and grounds are beautiful and well maintained. At $1000 a night for a pool villa I’m not sure I’d be back. We enjoyed the town of Hoi An but if you’re after restaurants with ambience and great décor then you’ll be disappointed. We had some nice meals but overall Vietnam has a long way to go to meet the needs of the sophisticated traveller. Some might thing that’s a good thing but for us we prefer destinations that offer the choice of the high end if you want that along with the more local options if you don’t.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I won't repeat all the spectacular things that all of there other 5 star reviews said. Just trust them - they're right! The Nam Hai is the most amazing place I've ever stayed, and I've never been so relaxed on a trip as I was there. I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with this place and we were there for 5 days. I even liked their mattress so much better than my own (which I spent a fortune on), that I emailed them to ask what brand it was so that I could experience a small bit of The Nam Hai at home!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Deep pockets required but if you have them, or want to treat yourself it's hard to beat. Rooms are sensational, pool and grounds beautiful, service attentive but not overly fussy. A really beautiful hotel and I would definitely go back. The idea of a swivelling television that you can watch from your bed or your HUGE bath is sensational. Everything has a modern but stylish and elegant feel to it. Would not suit those who like a more traditional style of decor but I just loved it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Nam Hai Hoi An - a GHM hotel? Share your experiences!