“Relaxation station” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Ocean, New Jersey
“Relaxation station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 10 days. I shared a room with 3 other people and we all had plenty of room and huge balcony overlooking the ocean. Two pools, one big one small. The big one tends to get crowded on weekends. I saw so many macaws flying overhead and tons of pelicans. Walking distance to many restaurants which I liked a lot. Poolside drinks are the best! Ask for Thomas! Also, Thomas picked us up from the airport so we didn't have to wait for transportation...awesome!
Overall this place is a great spot to relax and to see some wildlife. Very helpful and caring staff. The owner was very friendly and wanted to make sure our stay was enjoyable, which it was.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Marea brava is my one and only place to stay when visiting Costa Rica.

I just visited and can say that it was my best trip that I have ever had there. The staff was was so nice from the minute we arrived. Keynar at the front desk upgraded me and my wife to the penthouse with the beach view for free. The room was great. spacious, clean, and it was deffinatly nice to have a full kitchen as well.

The hotel is deffinately in the best location possible in hermosa. Steps from the best surfing beach around. It is walking distance to all the great restaurants,and Its nicely separated from the other hotels in hermosa which are crammed next to each other.
Me and my wife really enjoyed just hanging by the pools. Comfy lounge chairs, free wifi, and a great view of the sunset. Also have to mention that there is a full bar right next to it. Thomas served us drinks all week and gave us some great deals, including some blended drinks that were bigger than out heads. No joke.

For me I know hermosa and jaco pretty well by now, but if you need help with anything the Marea staff is there for you. I like that everyone speaks English and is knowledgable of everything around them. This place is a gem. If you stay here tell everyone I say hi!

• Stayed January 2014
chiang mai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I agree with the last reviewer. The room was gross. We didn't look closely at the bathroom when we first checked I . A bit later, I was about to take a shower and was horrified to see a football size hole in the corner of the ceiling of the bathroom. We told the staff and they did nothing about it. The linens also looked like they were never changed from the previous guests. The place is being run by teenagers. Total dissappointment.
The only plus is that it's on the beachfront.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Been to this hotel 3 times this time We booked one of the bigger two bedroom apartments overlooking one of the most beautiful beaches in CR , this hotel is progressively getting worse, it was so dirty I would not cook a boiled egg in that kitchen there was someone else's old food in the refrigerator and I know why they had some random surfers flopping there just before we moved in they had to come back and fetch their cloths later in the evening, in the evening the night life realllly begins, the red light district of Playa Hermosa, drugs and prostitutes run this joint at night if you have CHILDREN SAY AWAY, what a waste of a stunning hotel and pool area. Very sad to see my favorite spot going to the dogs like this.

Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed at the Marea Brava Hotel in Hermosa, Costa Rica for almost 4 weeks Oct-Nov. 2013.
The American owner, Jamey Harmon and his staff were just wonderful. Their hospitality and
desire to serve were simply at an elite level.
The room rate was super for the off season. Keyner is bilingual and helped a great deal with the local guests as well as English speaking guests. Karla could only speak Spanish, but her welcome with a warm smile and good eye contact made it easy to work with as she found someone to help with communication. Both provided a plethora of suggestions and information
regarding things to do and places to go.
Located right on the beach, the pool was clean and family friendly, especially on weekends. On occasion there were only a few couples at the pool. The poolside bar was run by Tom, Jamey's brother.
The suites were large, clean and perfect for multiple guests or families.
Marea Brava is a hidden jewel for any traveler or surfing enthusiast.

Boston Brad

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Charming hotel with courteous service. Penthouse kitchen equipped with everything necessary. There is daily cleaning services. Strongly recommend. Thanks for everything Jamie, Jordan & Arni from Israel:)

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This accommodation is far superior to anything we found in Jaco and only a 5 minute drive to town. So glad we stayed here. The small cabins are a little tiny but surround a beautiful pool with gardens and have wifi. They also have 2 bdrms and a kitchen all with a/c. The prices were great in low season ($60/nt if you stay a minimum of 2-3 nights, $80 for one night). We were lucky and were upgraded to a condo that can sleep 6 and it was very spacious. I would highly recommend the condos for a family or two couples. Really big. Parking is close and restaurants near-bye are good (Vista Hermosa). Keyner who works the desk was so amazingly helpful and friendly. Everyone was. His is the nicest place in Playa Hermosa.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Marea Brava? Share your experiences!