“Best place to stay in Playa Hermosa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marea Brava

You added Marea Brava to your Saves list
Marea Brava
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Hermosa Beachfront, 2 Blocks off Main Road | Playa Hermosa -Jaco, Playa Hermosa 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reston, Virginia
“Best place to stay in Playa Hermosa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I loved it.. We were booked for 5 nights at the dump next door to Marea Brava.. After the first night at the dump, I kept looking next door at the property of the Marea Brava, and kept wishing I was there.. We walked over to the office and ask for rates and availability..We were greeted by Lily , she was so nice and accommodating to us.. She could tell how unhappy I was with our current hotel next door.. She gave us the most incredible walk in deal, that was actually better than what we were paying next door..we cancelled the dump , packed our stuff and headed over to Paradise.. The room was great , huge balcony with pool and ocean view...The grounds of the property are beautiful and lush..I have nothing bad to say about this place, I would love to come back with friends and family and stay in 3 bedroom penthouse with full kitchen..you can BBQ , swim , surf , read a book under the trees...We would come back anytime...Thank you Lily...Tracy Hernandez

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had an amazing experience at Marea Brava- upon checking in, the owner immediately upgraded us to a penthouse. It was BEAUTIFUL! Ocean front, huge balcony with a swing, bar, and double lounger. It was so spacious- 3 bedrooms, a huge living area with a nice sectional, a dining room, and FULL kitchen! The bed was fabulous- a rare find in Costa! We got the best night's sleep with that comfortable bed and the waves crashing on the beach.
Another typical problem in Costa was not an issue at all at Marea Brava- their showers were hot and the water pressure was superb. I saw NO bugs- also amazing for Costa Rica!
They have several pools, we enjoyed the sunnier one, trying to get as tan as possible before we returned. The pool shaded by trees had WiFi access.
Our room/penthouse was beautiful- see my photos I uploaded of the gorgeous mural painted in the master bedroom!
Marea Brava was the perfect beach getaway for us- we loved everything about it, and we will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: We loved B5- the sunset view was spectacular, the master bedroom has a gorgeous mural and the bed is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pass
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

There are some hotels that give up on any maintenance since they are in such a nice location and they will always be able to count on customers... this is one of them. The place has not seen any refurbishing for a long time. The main pool was extremely dirty, full of locals getting drunk and being really loud. The internet was very slow, only around the reception. There is no breakfast available, and the air-conditioning does not work. They charged an extraordinary amount of money for basically no service. I will never go back...

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
hilo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed last week for 2 nights and had a great experience. The room was in great shape and there was no problems. The only slight complaint was the lady that worked the front desk...she needs a lesson in dealing with customers. The owner Jamey was great !

Room Tip: Stay in the condos
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was initially excited about my stay at Marea Brava, from reading the website it seemed as if it combined the best of both worlds. It was off the beaten path and still remained accessible and had plenty of activities near and around it. A plus for an adventure traveler like myself. However, after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, I became a little soured on the idea of staying here. It was too late though as the contract doesn't allow you to cancel without a cancellation fee no matter how far in advance you give notice. Also, the booking system is terrible in my opinion. You are forced to download a form and then fax in your information without clear confirmation on the rate and availability of the room chosen. First strike for me.

After arriving, one of the first things I noticed was that trash was piled up in an area and looked like it had been there for several days. I don't know if this is because trash pick up is sporadic in this area or what but it didn't set a good tone for this place and honestly I hadn't noticed anything like that in any other hotel that I stayed at. Second strike for me.

Once, we entered we were told that we could upgrade our room to one of the penthouses for a just a little bit more than fee for the regular bedroom. Sounded like a win to me. However, the attendant only wanted cash and though it made sense on some level. I couldn't shake the feeling of something being wrong here as I read many reviews of previous visitors having difficulty with being over charged. We took the deal and were showed to the room. It was spacious and outfitted pretty nicely. Leather couches, HDTV, kitchen area and a view of the beach directly from the balcony as you walked out onto it. Note to others, this is a pretty nice set up if you go with a group (couples, friends, etc.) and have brought food, games, and things to do as there isn't much available in entertainment nearby. If not you may find it boring as I did. We woke up to a room without lights, running water and that was the last strike as we decided to leave even if there was a cancellation fee involved.

Luckily, the attendant there wasn't that bad in letting us leave without a problem. He didn't charge us a cancellation fee and even let us stay a little past check out time to take a shower and get our things ready after the water and lights came back on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Today is the last day of my stay here at Marea Brava resort. From the second myself and my driend arrived we were greeted warmly and provided exceptional personalized service. We rented a penthouse with an ocean view. All I can say is the accomodations were great. Large bedrooms, huge living room with a full kitchen and a lounge area on the back deck. This is my fourth time staying at the resort and every time it just gets better and better. I am sorry my stay is over but I look with anticipation until my next vacation here soon.

• Stayed November 2012
Bay Ridge, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived here late at night, were led to our room on the top of three floors by flashlight because the lightbulbs had burnt out, we looked around our room and found that the sheets were dirty and the place was poorly maintained. I was so disgusted that I wanted to leave but having already pre-paid for two nights we slept on the couch. The next day, in the daylight the beauty of the place was revealed. It is a beautiful location and the pool is very nice. We were able to change rooms and it was an improvement though not worth the money we were paying. We decided that would be the last night staying there and we left for another hotel.
I would say that this is a place to come with a large group, almost like a camping lodge, bring sheets/bedding, food to eat, movies and games for entertainment. It is so remote and so 'laid-back' that I wouldn't be able to sleep without bringing my own comforts from home... and probably some bleach and paper towels.

Room Tip: Honestly, the best tip we received while here was, if you are already there, just ask for everythin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marea Brava? Share your experiences!