“Location is the only "plus"...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marea Brava

Save Saved
You added Marea Brava to your Saves list
Marea Brava
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Hermosa Beachfront, 2 Blocks off Main Road, Playa Hermosa 4023, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Playa Hermosa
Pass
“Location is the only "plus"...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

There are some hotels that give up on any maintenance since they are in such a nice location and they will always be able to count on customers... this is one of them. The place has not seen any refurbishing for a long time. The main pool was extremely dirty, full of locals getting drunk and being really loud. The internet was very slow, only around the reception. There is no breakfast available, and the air-conditioning does not work. They charged an extraordinary amount of money for basically no service. I will never go back...

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
hilo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed last week for 2 nights and had a great experience. The room was in great shape and there was no problems. The only slight complaint was the lady that worked the front desk...she needs a lesson in dealing with customers. The owner Jamey was great !

Room Tip: Stay in the condos
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was initially excited about my stay at Marea Brava, from reading the website it seemed as if it combined the best of both worlds. It was off the beaten path and still remained accessible and had plenty of activities near and around it. A plus for an adventure traveler like myself. However, after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, I became a little soured on the idea of staying here. It was too late though as the contract doesn't allow you to cancel without a cancellation fee no matter how far in advance you give notice. Also, the booking system is terrible in my opinion. You are forced to download a form and then fax in your information without clear confirmation on the rate and availability of the room chosen. First strike for me.

After arriving, one of the first things I noticed was that trash was piled up in an area and looked like it had been there for several days. I don't know if this is because trash pick up is sporadic in this area or what but it didn't set a good tone for this place and honestly I hadn't noticed anything like that in any other hotel that I stayed at. Second strike for me.

Once, we entered we were told that we could upgrade our room to one of the penthouses for a just a little bit more than fee for the regular bedroom. Sounded like a win to me. However, the attendant only wanted cash and though it made sense on some level. I couldn't shake the feeling of something being wrong here as I read many reviews of previous visitors having difficulty with being over charged. We took the deal and were showed to the room. It was spacious and outfitted pretty nicely. Leather couches, HDTV, kitchen area and a view of the beach directly from the balcony as you walked out onto it. Note to others, this is a pretty nice set up if you go with a group (couples, friends, etc.) and have brought food, games, and things to do as there isn't much available in entertainment nearby. If not you may find it boring as I did. We woke up to a room without lights, running water and that was the last strike as we decided to leave even if there was a cancellation fee involved.

Luckily, the attendant there wasn't that bad in letting us leave without a problem. He didn't charge us a cancellation fee and even let us stay a little past check out time to take a shower and get our things ready after the water and lights came back on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Today is the last day of my stay here at Marea Brava resort. From the second myself and my driend arrived we were greeted warmly and provided exceptional personalized service. We rented a penthouse with an ocean view. All I can say is the accomodations were great. Large bedrooms, huge living room with a full kitchen and a lounge area on the back deck. This is my fourth time staying at the resort and every time it just gets better and better. I am sorry my stay is over but I look with anticipation until my next vacation here soon.

• Stayed November 2012
Bay Ridge, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We arrived here late at night, were led to our room on the top of three floors by flashlight because the lightbulbs had burnt out, we looked around our room and found that the sheets were dirty and the place was poorly maintained. I was so disgusted that I wanted to leave but having already pre-paid for two nights we slept on the couch. The next day, in the daylight the beauty of the place was revealed. It is a beautiful location and the pool is very nice. We were able to change rooms and it was an improvement though not worth the money we were paying. We decided that would be the last night staying there and we left for another hotel.
I would say that this is a place to come with a large group, almost like a camping lodge, bring sheets/bedding, food to eat, movies and games for entertainment. It is so remote and so 'laid-back' that I wouldn't be able to sleep without bringing my own comforts from home... and probably some bleach and paper towels.

Room Tip: Honestly, the best tip we received while here was, if you are already there, just ask for everythin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have stayed at Marea Brava many times over the years. It is a beautiful beachfront hotel in Playa Hermosa Costa Rica. It is located on one of the best surfing beaches in Costa Rica where the world surfing contest was held 3 years ago. The rooms are beautiful and the service is excellent. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be directly on the ocean. It is a short 4 miles away from Jaco where the night life goes from dusk to dawn. You will be treated to a wonderful vacation experience at Marea Brava as the pool and the spectacular settting is something that you will remember for a long time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I've been to CR many times and stayed all over (once in Jaco), and never had great experiences with hotels; however my experience at the Marea Brava last week single handedly restored my faith in Costa Rican hospitality and is now my new favorite spot to shoot down from CA for a fun, surf weekend. Our room was beautiful, can't beat the ocean view and easy access to ocean and pools. The staff were so helpful and accommodating. Especially Nick (Gringo at the front desk) - he went above and beyond to make sure my girlfriend and I were comfortable, and to get us the info we needed to have the adventures we did. THANK YOU Nick! and all of you at Marea Brava. You guys ROCK!

We had no problem with our rates or with our reservation - I'm not sure what any of these negative reviews are talking about...Whatever problems they may have had were fixed by the time we got there.

Marea Brava is BY FAR the best hotel on Playa Hermosa and in Jaco - and is now my favorite place to stay in all of Costa.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the larger "Condos" on the beach. More expensive rooms but definitely worth...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marea Brava? Share your experiences!