“We will return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Costanera Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Costanera Bed and Breakfast
You added Costanera Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Main road, Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Tampa, Florida USA
“We will return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

This B & B was fine. Good breakfast included. No TV's in rooms which I believe is a good idea.
I don't know why the other review was so negative.
No ATM's in this town.
Taxi ride to Jaco about $5 US
You must eat at the restaurant at the north end of town for dinner.
The $11 US sesame crusted tune is insane.
Waves were great here. Nice and quiet compared to Jaco.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Where to start...My wife and I arrived at Costanera after dark from San Jose. I had made arrangements for a room at Costanera Bed & Breakfast in advance. I had only seen one review on trip advisor, which was positive, and thought I'd take a chance on this place. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.
Let me start off by explaining the geography of Playa Hermosa's hotels, because I found it very difficult to get information on this before booking: Playa Hermosa is 3 km from Jaco (about 5 mins by taxi). It is a relatively undeveloped stretch of beach (compared to Jaco) where you will find many hotels and hostels geared towards the surfing community. All of the surf-side hotels are within a 5 minute walk along the beach from one another, including Costanera. Playa Hermosa is a great surfing destination, as well as a very nice place to spend a few days at a great beach with some friends. It far nicer than Jaco Beach and also much more secluded (and you can always go to Jaco by taxi to hit the bars, etc).
Costanera B&B is actually labeled "Costanera Rooms" once you find it. It is located right smack in the middle of all the other hotels along Playa Hermosa. The beach-side rooms have the view as advertised (as does any other beach-side room at any of the other hotels). That's where the "pros" of the review end. The "cons" are as follows:
1) The proprietress (presumably "Nada"), an older Italian lady, never introduced herself and was not friendly. She was a bit "fresh" at the start, although some of this might have been due to the language barrier (she spoke little english, I a little spanish).

2) We arrived at 19:30 hours. Costanera advertises on their "website" that they run an "Italian restaurant". When we asked the Italian lady about any sort of dinner, she said "yes, but only pasta...". Not much of a restaurant at all, as it turns out. Also, she did not recommend anything else, even though many great options were right next door.

3) The room was NOT worth $65:
- Curtains were stained with spots which looked like spaghetti sauce (but could have been blood)
- The bathroom was very moldy, and sported a dark blue shower curtain (the green mold was still apparent). The shower head electrical heater has the wires wrapped in bubble wrap. It doesn't look safe.
- As in most of rural CR, there was some instruction not to flush toilet paper down the toilet. At the very least, I expect a trash bin with a lid. Costanera did not have it.
- The bedding was what I like to call "prison-issue". Basically the cheapest euro-sheets you can find. Not worth the money.
- Ants. Okay, understandably CR has ants. On the bed and all over the walls is a bit much. We asked the owners if this was normal (this being our first time at Playa Hermosa). They hurried us back to the room to see what we were talking about. "5-10 is okay...20 - 30 is a problem" said the owner (I had already killed 10). Upon entering the room "where are the ants?" was a common question (as one scurried across my toes). The owners pretended not to see any (but they were all over the place, including a few on the bed). Another relative working at the hotel (ostensibly Stefano, but he also did not introduce himself), tried to pressure us into admitting there wasn't an ant problem. We made him stay 10 minutes to see what we were talking about. He claimed he only killed 5 while he was there - I killed 10 just in the kitchen while he was there. He sprayed the affected areas to ward off further ants. Ants are okay - I get it - we're in CR. But to deny there is a problem and confront us with an unfriendly attitude - I don't have to pay money for that.

4) The owner lady claimed, with attitude, that she had cleaned the place herself and that there was no problem; we said there wasn't an issue, but wanted them to spray the area, or leave a spray bottle for us, so we could keep the ants at bay. She slammed the door and left. Stefano was left to deal with the problem. See attached picture of cockroach found AFTER supposed cleaning out of ants! Again, ants were not the problem at this point - attitude was the problem!

5) The website and emails with Stefano indicate Costanera is a "B&B". Generally a "B&B" means the room comes with breakfast. However, in the morning after sleeping in the dingy room, the owner-lady informed us that the room DID NOT include breakfast. At that point, we didn't care much since we planned on leaving.

All the while, they offered that we could stay at another hotel. Since it was after dark when we arrived and we didn't know our way around, we paid for the initial night only. At daybreak, we walked two buildings over and took a look at Katin Surfside Hotel. As it turned out, they had a vacancy. We got the beach-side house for $100 per night (a bit more expensive, but well worth it). Their regular rooms (similar to Costanera's, but way nicer) were around $60 per night. The actual manager was away on vacation. In her absence, the manager from the nearby Cabinas Las Arenas was coordinating. His name was Roger and he was excellent, as was his helpful friend Paul. Thanks to this discovery, we were able to enjoy our stay at Playa Hermosa for the next 4 days.

I would not recommend Costanera "Rooms", unless it was the last possible available option in Playa Hermosa. Even then, I'd look for a place in Jaco first.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I made reservations here for 2 nights after escaping the craziness of Jaco. When I walked out of my room onto the balcony, I knew I had found a little piece of paradise. The rooms are very charming, romantic even. The hammocks and lounge chairs right outside my room were a great place to spend lazy afternoons. And you are just steps from the beach (although I think this is true for all of the places in Playa Hermosa). Other options in this price range seemed more like surfer hostels and that was not what I wanted. This was a beautiful retreat and a great value. One of my favorite places in my three weeks of travel in Costa Rica. The owners are an Italian couple and don't speak much English but this didn't seem to be a problem for other travelers whose Spanish (and Italian) were poor- they managed. The breakfast included in the room price is excellent- definite bonus.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Costanera Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!