“Great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Sandpiper Inn
Save Saved
You added Sandpiper Inn to your Saves list
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel has friendly staff, mellow vibes, and is all around a really cute place. It is close (walking distance) to different beach restaurants. There are great waves in front of hotel and beautiful scenery from the rooms. There's a beach front patio with hammocks and tables to kick back and relax while listening to the waves crash on shore.

• Stayed November 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

First time to Costa Rica and stayed at Sandpiper. Open air feel, right on the black sand beach, iguanas and macaws in the almond tree, beautiful hummingbirds and such a friendly place. Greg is the owner and picked us up at the airport and showed us a river full of crocodiles on the way to the hotel. He also did a group BBQ for all the guests and grilled fresh fish and chicken right off the beach. He arranged a massage for me, knows all the best people for rafting, hiking, zip lining, etc. Great stay!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I couldn't find a place to review just The Green Room so I'll stick it here.
The Green Room is DELICIOUS!!! Have the chicken burrito...or just about anything else, and you will not be disappointed. The french fries were honestly the best I've ever had anywhere. I highly recommend this place.

The hotel does look super cute and quaint. We might try it one trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although we were lucky enough to have local free accommodations, my wife and I (along with our rambunctious toddler) spent a good deal of time at the Sandpiper during our recent vacation. As others have said, the Green Room restaurant serves the freshest and most delicious food in Playa Hermosa (try the fish tacos!), and the relaxed vibe and beautiful beach view simply can't be beat. Everyone at the Sandpiper exemplifies that famed Tico generosity — Greg, the owner, is an incredibly nice guy, and the Green Room's Raquel and Kip are very accommodating and gracious hosts. The food is all cooked to order, so it takes a little longer, but the wait is definitely worth it. Besides, the leisurely pace just gives you more time to relax in the two available hammocks and watch the huge waves roll in. Pura vida!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I didn't stay at the Sandpiper but I ate at the Green Room often.Kip and Raquel do a great job and the food is cooked to order and is great.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This place is great, from the casual atmosphere, to the open air lobby and restaurant. Beautiful views and a wonderful vibe. waking up to crashing waves, birds chirping, and roaming iguanas will suck the stress right out of you.

The owner Greg makes everyone feel at home and will do anything he can to make sure every guest has a fantastic vacation. He's welcoming, friendly, and a wealth of information on everything Play Hermosa. He has great insider advice on the best surf spots and good times that can be had in the area. He also has one of the best collections of surfing movies around and he's happy to fire them up on the movie screen at anytime.

The restaurant run by Kip and Raquel is a lifesaver. Heaping helping of fresh fruit filled french toast or pancakes was my jump start everyday. My girlfriend would grab the breakfast burrito and we'd share a ton of yummy food. The fresh local fish for dinner was also great. Make sure to talk them into making carrots. I've never before craved a carrot in my life, but now I'm trying and failing to recreate them. Sadly, the rest of the food in Playa Hermosa left a lot to be desired. I kept trying to find somewhere else to eat, just for the sake of exploring, and sadly it was an exercise in futility.

You really can't go wrong there, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Keyport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was my first trip to Costa Rica and I didn't know what to expect. The Sandpiper was a nice quiet, clean hotel located steps from the beach. For the price you couldn't have asked for a nicer spot! Greg the owner was super nice and had great info on where to surf and what spots we should go to. This was a huge help and we didn't waste time hunting for places to surf. There was a restaurant called the "Green Room" I had some of the best breakfast and lunches at this place. Everything was made to order and very very fresh! Kip, Raquel, and Maria made me feel like I was at home. When I get some more vaca time I would def head back to the sandpiper!

Room Tip: Maybe a room upstairs would be quiter.