“Best Food & Beach View Around” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandpiper Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Sandpiper Inn
Save Saved
You added Sandpiper Inn to your Saves list
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Playa Hermosa
New York City, New York
“Best Food & Beach View Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Although we were lucky enough to have local free accommodations, my wife and I (along with our rambunctious toddler) spent a good deal of time at the Sandpiper during our recent vacation. As others have said, the Green Room restaurant serves the freshest and most delicious food in Playa Hermosa (try the fish tacos!), and the relaxed vibe and beautiful beach view simply can't be beat. Everyone at the Sandpiper exemplifies that famed Tico generosity — Greg, the owner, is an incredibly nice guy, and the Green Room's Raquel and Kip are very accommodating and gracious hosts. The food is all cooked to order, so it takes a little longer, but the wait is definitely worth it. Besides, the leisurely pace just gives you more time to relax in the two available hammocks and watch the huge waves roll in. Pura vida!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I didn't stay at the Sandpiper but I ate at the Green Room often.Kip and Raquel do a great job and the food is cooked to order and is great.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This place is great, from the casual atmosphere, to the open air lobby and restaurant. Beautiful views and a wonderful vibe. waking up to crashing waves, birds chirping, and roaming iguanas will suck the stress right out of you.

The owner Greg makes everyone feel at home and will do anything he can to make sure every guest has a fantastic vacation. He's welcoming, friendly, and a wealth of information on everything Play Hermosa. He has great insider advice on the best surf spots and good times that can be had in the area. He also has one of the best collections of surfing movies around and he's happy to fire them up on the movie screen at anytime.

The restaurant run by Kip and Raquel is a lifesaver. Heaping helping of fresh fruit filled french toast or pancakes was my jump start everyday. My girlfriend would grab the breakfast burrito and we'd share a ton of yummy food. The fresh local fish for dinner was also great. Make sure to talk them into making carrots. I've never before craved a carrot in my life, but now I'm trying and failing to recreate them. Sadly, the rest of the food in Playa Hermosa left a lot to be desired. I kept trying to find somewhere else to eat, just for the sake of exploring, and sadly it was an exercise in futility.

You really can't go wrong there, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Keyport, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was my first trip to Costa Rica and I didn't know what to expect. The Sandpiper was a nice quiet, clean hotel located steps from the beach. For the price you couldn't have asked for a nicer spot! Greg the owner was super nice and had great info on where to surf and what spots we should go to. This was a huge help and we didn't waste time hunting for places to surf. There was a restaurant called the "Green Room" I had some of the best breakfast and lunches at this place. Everything was made to order and very very fresh! Kip, Raquel, and Maria made me feel like I was at home. When I get some more vaca time I would def head back to the sandpiper!

Room Tip: Maybe a room upstairs would be quiter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Clemente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Best spot in Costa Rica by far! It was my fifth time to Costa Rica and my second time to Playa Hermosa. I have stayed at a couple of the other hotels in the area and was complete unsatisfied. This was my wife's first time in Costa and i wanted to make sure she had a comfortable, relaxing, and memorable time. Greg the owner treated us like family from beginning to end. The restaurant on property was amazing with everything made from scratch. I got to surf twice a day while my girl lounged on the beach and read her book's and magazine's in the sun. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to enjoy some true Pura Vida.

Room Tip: Any room is just step from the beautiful black sand beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Alajuela, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife and I had one of the best vacations ever, after being dissapointed with your pick of a hotel in Esterillos Este. We called a friend that was at the Sandpiper, and asked if there was a room. And for your luck,line phone was dead so Greg(the owner) hadn't recieved reservations.
So there we were, in the most relaxed,clean and well mantained surfers hotel. The restaurant The Green Room, has a small menu, but don't think this is a minus, it is excellent, made with care, and as it's meant to be. The bread is baked fresh, and it's real good bread.
Beachfront location right in the spot for surfers, you can stay all day watching the boards rip the waves.Your vacation started wrong, but at the Sandpiper all was forgotten.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are quieter and have good ocean breezes
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was the most amazing experience I've ever had on a vacation! The owner made me feel like we were "old friends", and the overall vibe was so laid back and relaxing I felt like I was at a friend's house! The ocean breezes coming across the sand while I was swaying in the hammock on the open air bar...it was just so awesome! I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a little adventure, and a little down time! You get the best of both with Greg, the owner of this great place!
Tanya
Redondo Beach, CA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sandpiper Inn? Share your experiences!