“A memorial” 4 of 5 stars

Barangay Bonbon, Mindanao, Philippines
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 19 things to do in Camiguin
More attraction details
Owner description: The whole capital of Camiguin, with its cemetery, sunk under the sea. In the following years, the sunken land and the gravestones can still be seen. when the tide is low. But in 1948 until 1953, Mount Vulcan erupted again, sinking the whole area deeper, to around twenty feet. In 1982, a large cross was built on the solidified lava to mark the site that became the graves of the ancestors of the Camiguin people. It has become a sunken cemetery. http://www.silent-gardens.com/camiguin-sunken.php
Davao City, Philippines
38 attraction reviews
“A memorial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

It is located in Barrio Bonbon. Travelers can easily recognized the sunken cemetery as it is marked by a giant cross. It is in the waters/sea and one could be taken there through a banca.

Most likely, travelers would just content themselves taking pictures. I noticed that there is no shed where travelers can stay for a while. Rain and so much heat from the sun may shorten a traveler's visit.

There are also a line of souvenir shops, and price is cheap.

Visited February 2013

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
151 attraction reviews
“Vendor trying to con me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was still thinking of snorkeling there. However, the vendor wanted to charge me P100 just to bring me to the cross.

I told my driver that I know the rate is P20 and then they offered me to bring me to the cross and back for P40.

Till now they still try to con me. It should be P20 to and fro.

I understand that if I will to snorkel beyond the cross, there may be a environmental fee of P100 but I am not too sure about this either.

I am disappointed by such dishonest vendor that I do not even want to go to the cross though I read that the snorkel experience is pretty good.

A good experience spoilt by dishonest vendors. :(

Visited February 2013
Kaiserslautern, Germany
10 attraction reviews
“100 Pesos to snorkel here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Really? We just wanted to swim around and snorkel and you want us to pay 100p each? There are no amenities, no upkeep, what is the fee for? We got tired of hands out every where we went.

Visited January 2013
Makati, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
“the best sea life so far!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

To start with the Cross erected is not the Original cross, the original one is also submerge in the water, you can step on it.
The visibility is excellent, the corals are great and the fishes are abundant, this were i saw a multitude of angel fish.
Good Corals and 2 giant clams on it's real environment.
The water is very salty though, boat is about 250 pesos this includes the entrance fee already and 100 pesos payment for the preservation of the sanctuary.
i snorkeled in this place for one whole day and i still did not got enough of the place.
you can climb on top of the cross erected (that is if you are not afraid of heights)
you get to see star fish in this area, and the kids here will join you on your swim.
this is one fun place especially if you love under water garden and life.

Visited October 2012
Laguna
5 attraction reviews
“The mystery underneath”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Like the name itself, this part of Camiguin has sunken cemetery with only a large cross that serves as its landmark.

Visited May 2012