“Great restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
“Great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife, me and our 2 children had a lovely meal and drinks at this great restaurant. Very friendly owners, clean, great food, fair prices,..... Wished we lived closer (Belgium). You deserve a huge crowd.

Visited July 2014

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“An all round winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I've lived in the UK for 20 years and I've honestly never had a better pub dining experience than I did recently at The Ship. Beautifully decorated inside and out, the pub itself gave a fantastic first impression, as did the welcome from the staff. There was a good selection of drinks, including a Cornish brand of gin and some lovely wines, and although the food menu wasn't enormous, the quality of the dishes when they arrived made us realise that we could have chosen absolutely anything and it would have been delicious. Sophisticated enough for a grown up night out, the pub still managed to cater very well for the smallest member of our group (2 1/2 years old), not only with a good kids' menu and a colouring book to play with, but with a lovely attitude from the staff that made us feel welcome even when little one had a bit of a cry during dinner. Overall I was incredibly impressed and would highly recommend this lovely pub for a drink or dinner if you're in the area.

• Visited July 2014
Birmingham
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us and did not disappoint. There were four family members eating and we ordered two starters, four different main courses and two desserts and all were well cooked and presented and the quality of food was excellent at very reasonable prices. I would recommed that you pre-book because it is popular and does get busy. There are several local beers on draught and a good range of other drinks. If you are in the area this is a restaurant that is worth visiting.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“A real food experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was visiting friends in Gweek for a long weekend having travelled from Brighton on the Thursday and suggested I treat them to a meal as a thankyou. They said The Ship Inn was a special place and would be a real treat for them. They knew Greg and Ali but also thought as it was a Saturday night it might be booked up. Fortunately a table was available if we arrived early. The place had a really relaxed and homely feel. We all had a Rattler at the bar - my first taste of Cornish cider!! It was delicious. The evening continued with 3 superb courses - all amazed and impressed us just from their look, but even better on tasting. Its been said by other reviewers, but its true, the food is just like something out of Masterchef. The portions weren't huge, but I really like that. The pudding - chocolate three ways - was to die for. The staff were all very attentive with a great atmosphere and for the prices charged I was even more impressed as the food is very special. Definitely on the menu to return whenever I am in Cornwall. I wish I had taken my camera to photograph the dishes we ate.

• Visited June 2014
Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
“Superb quality at affordable prices for the whole family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was lucky enough to be holidaying in Mawgan, nr Helston. I visited the Ship Inn most nights for a drink or two and was made to feel very welcome by both staff and locals.

On our first night, we had takeaway fish & chips, which were amazing, also including pots of tartar / tomato sauces + vinegar - which were a nice touch, especially as we were on holiday and didn't already have these.

We had a dinner reservation for 6pm on the Thursday of our stay, when we went with our young children (aged 4 & 5) who were immediately put at ease and made welcome by Ali and the front of house team and were given a big pirate ship to play with on the table.

The children's menu had a range of food which would be a hit for all children. The main menu had a good selection and was well thought out, with seasonal produce such as wild garlic (which was growing abundently in nearby woods). The food itself looked fabulous (with the presentation, you'd think yourself in a Michelin restaurant) and the quality / taste were outstanding.

My only criticism would be that the restaurant is over 300 miles from my home...

Can't wait for our next holiday in Cornwall - we will definitely be coming to the Ship Inn again!!

• Visited May 2014