“Average resort, but great diving” 3 of 5 stars

You added Helengeli Island Resort to your Saves list
Helengeli Island Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |     |
The Hague
“Average resort, but great diving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here during the second visit to the Maldives for a family diving holiday. Beautiful island but I must say, the resort itself was nice, but average... friendly staff, island was very quiet, a tad deserted.

We stayed in the air conditioned bungalows, they were simple, clean and nice, had an amazing outdoor Maldivian bathroom.

Diving, was superb.

Don't think we will be going back though.

Tip: bring bug spray. LOTS of it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Helengeli is just wonderful. The end.

Actually that's all there is to say. But since I know that you want some more details, I'll try to explain you, why Helengeli is wunderful.

First of all, this was my first trip to the Maldives. I've never been there before and I can't compare this island to others.
I'm pretty sure, there are more luxurious islands than Helengeli. There might be some with fancier restaurants or bigger pools or wider beaches or with nice big flatscreens in the Bungalows and private jacuzzi... etc...

But if you ask me: that's not what the Maldives are about. You should not go there to be sitting in your whirlpool. You should go there because of the nature, the weather and the sea! And that's what I love about Helegeli. There are no water bungalows that spoil the view or even concrete wave breakers out in the water. Despite the hotel buildings and the bungalows, the island looks still quite natural and the houseriff is just unbelievable! I've seen sharks, turtles, eagle rays, and everything else you can dream of - just a couple of meters away from the beach. This is true luxury!

Furthermore, the service is perfect. The staff is really friendly and helpful. They're really trying hard to make it the perfect holiday for you. The bungalows and the whole island are really clean and tidy.

So. I really don't know what else to ask for. If you don't like it there, you must either be very grumpy or very spoiled...

Room Tip: I would recommend to book a bungalow on the west coast (numbers 1-20). they seem a bit nicer. some b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had a week at Helengeli, enjoying the delights of the island. The rooms are spacious with large outdoor bathrooms and efficient air conditioning. It was lovely to sit in the shade looking out at the sea each evening. The rooms were cleaned twice a day, probably due to the sand which inevitably we carried in on our feet despite washing at the putdoor tap before going into the room. Everything was kept beautifully clean, and the room boy was really responsive in repairing a non working light. You can choose how often linen and towels are changed. Beach towels are provided. There is a washing line in the bathroom and it would have been helpful to have had (or taken) some clothes pegs to secure our swimming things.
The restaurant is large, with a good variety of buffet. Our waiter, Ali, was very efficient and helpful;he served us all week and quickly came to know our quirks and foibles. The food is very nice with excellent curries. We had half board and ate soup, curry or fruit plates at lunchtime in the bar. The only criticism is the price of water, and the use of plastic water bottles.
We went to Helengeli to dive and the dive shop, run by Ocean Pro, is excellent. Everything is incredibly well organised, but in a relaxed way. The staff are really professional and the briefings are just about the best we have ever had (and in three languages at least!). They were very vigilant during dives. Dives were well planned with a choice of difficulty and type of dive. Diving Helengeli Thila, twice, was a highlight as squadrons of eagle rays passed overhead while lots of sharks went by and a Titan triggerfish chewed my husband's fins.
We did two boat dives each day, diving from dohnis. The dhoni crews are very competent, manoeuvring the boats into impossible spaces as well as helping all the divers. The dhonis have loos.
The dive shop makes fish books available each evening and staff help with identification. The following day's dives are posted in the evening along with a book describing each dive so you can read about the options and choose the dives you want to do.
We also enjoyed snorkelling round the island, seeing sharks, turtles, napoleons, squid and lots of different fish on the house reef.
The sea plane trips to and from the island are such an adventure too with the amazing views of other islands and the turquoise ocean.
Wifi facilities are available in the bar, and can be bought by the hour or day.
The spa offers a free fifteen minute massage during the first three days. What a good idea! We had further treatments later in the week. The staff are delightful and competent, creating a great ambiance in the spa, and banishing 'tank back'.
It was so relaxing to be away from tv. The other divers, mostly Swiss, were friendly but not pushy.

So, overall, Helengeli was a good choice for a week of diving. If only they would rethink the water issue it would be just about perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night at Helengeli. It is a small and clean resort with all needed basic amenities. The staff is cordial and welcoming from the manager who greeted us on arrival and accompanied us upon departure to the waiters in the restaurant and bar, as well as the staff at the reception. Snorkeling is good around the island. There is no special entertainment at night. The resort is ideal for divers, groups or families.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brixham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Firstly I would like to make it clear the island food etc especially the reef snorkelling etc etc is faultless. However please be aware of what may happen with your accommodation.
My wife and I stayed here on a short 2 day transfer whilst staying in a beach front woodland and ocean view jacuzzi beach villa aip on another island. We took the opportunity to visit Helengeli as we do to gain further thought for future vacations to the Maldives.
The problem was we were allocated one of I think four units of which were in a quite unkept area compared to all the other units i.e no ocean views, no soft sand to walk on as the others do, in a darker area infront of the harbour shielded by a very large tree and overgrown bushes this would be no.26 . we grinned and beared it as we were only there for the 2 nights. On the second morning we returned from a fabulous breakfast to find nos 25.27 & 28 occupied by around 12 younger very inconsiderate adults playing music taking up any free space outside of our accommodation.....though concerned again we were not sticking around as there is plenty of snorkelling to be done so off we went.
As we were leaving the next morning we wanted to get an early night good sleep so that we could benefit from being up earlier and get some last Helengeli snorkelling in before departing.
At 1:45am we were awoken to loud music general excited hyper singing talking shouting in the adjacent room 25 and the two other rooms 27 & 28, doors continually being opened and closed people backwards and forwards in front of our room porch lights left on.... by 4am enough was enough security was called denied anything was wrong and so I called the island manager he duly came along and agreed this was unacceptable [by now all had gone quiet] and there was nothing he could do. What had happened was the island had a staff party and thes 12 persons were the staff entertainment group that had just returned from their night of fun! no problem with that but giving us accommodation in the middle of them!?
An apology was given by the manager but our night was ruined with only an hours sleep.
So please be aware rooms 22 - 28 are not the to be recommended as this is clearly what they use for staff entertainment and non holiday makers.
This was a real shock to us as we have never experienced anything like this before and have visited several islands with nothing but courtesy.

Room Tip: Any room but not 22-28. Beware as the walls are thin - soundproof poor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Per K, General Manager at Helengeli Island Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Nasaw,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking your time and sharing your experiences during your recent holiday with us on Helengeli Island. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our house reef as well as our kitchen etc.

I would also like to take this opportunity and apologize for the inconveniences caused during your last night. In order to show our appreciation to our hard working staff we occasionally organize staff parties. For this particular party we had arranged a group of eight outsourced entertainers. I can assure you that we have learned from this experience and taken the necessary actions in order to prevent such incidents from re-occuring.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused.

Please consider us again during your next visit to the Maldives. The team and myself would be delighted to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just returned from a week at Helengeli with the full board package.
Firstly, this is a superb island resort, small, very quiet, with great food and service. Being only 800mtrs long and some 80mtrs wide, it must be one of the smallest resorts around, with half the island taken up by the staff area. Even with 50 rooms, the place felt empty, with my wife and I having no issues getting a sunbed around the pool. We would have been diving there, had my sinuses decided to be ok, but talking with other guests, the Dive centre seemed a slick and well run operation.
The food was excellent, with great variety, buffet style breakfast, lunch and Dinner,
Go to the spa, had a few treatments done there, and the staff were excellent, and the environment is relaxing, and well priced
My biggest complaint is that you have to pay for water, at nearly $5.00 for a large bottle. Being a hot and sunny country, with a dive centre located on the island, I would have though water would be included.

Room Tip: Room 1 is right near the reception and pool, though it is so peaceful you wouldn't know it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

A natural island with comfortable facilities, friendly staffs and amazing snorkling experience! The first day we arrrived the island we saw the rainbow over small wood! The first sight is a group of senior guests sitting down on the rock ( deck) facing the sea peacefully, I knew it is the right place I am looking for.

A bit shock is when having dinner, I find almost all are on barefoot in the buffet restaurant! yet later I got used to it and really enjoy the feel absolutely relax...stand on the soft sands and eat, it is a real enjoyable touch!

Every morning, we will hear the big birds singing with 3 rythems! I really love it! On the beach, there are lots of hermit crabs, some normal grey, some red! We took a lot pictures with them!

The entire island is very quite yet well managed, very few asian faces.

Yummy food! I have to say the food is absolutely delicious! Although only one restaurant and one bar, yet the buffet dinner has a wide variety to choose from! I really enjoy the feeling that we sit down together like a family, like in university restaurant yet with better foods!

We stayed there for 3 nights, it is a great experience especially it is really valuable compare with its pricing! It has buy 6 get 1 free during summer season!

Last but not least, taking seaplane overlooking maldive islands are also memerable! especially when the vice-pilot is on foot:)))

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Helengeli Island Resort? Share your experiences!