“The most beautiful house reef and wonderful service” 4 of 5 stars

Eriyadu Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |     |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Eriyadu Island
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“The most beautiful house reef and wonderful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We went to Eriyadu for our honeymoon 15 years ago and have just returned from a 14 night stay in April hoping for a similar experience. The rooms are large, tired looking BUT are cleaned twice a day. Be prepared for your bathroom though as half of it is open-roofed which although no-one can see you, makes you a bit nervous when using the loo!! Our wonderful room boy was Ali who changed our bathroom and beach towels every day, made the bed twice a day and swept out twice a day too. Our room was 120 (coincidentally next door to our honeymoon room 15 years prior) and we could walk out to what I believe is the best stretch of beach & access to the reef. We got eaten alive by mosquitos and I forgot my cream so look into taking some kind of deterrant as we couldn't sit out under the shady trees however I did remember my large sun shade so we moved our loungers onto the beach and were shaded. We're not divers but snorkelled at least twice a day seeing Rays, sharks, Turtles and other beautiful fish. There's now a pool which is small but ideal for the size of the Island located next to the bar which is on decking over the shallow water. From here we enjoyed a few drinks whilst gazing out at sharks, rays and many other wonderful creatures. I booked full board and the food was excellent with variety of choice for every pallette. You have your own table and waiter for your stay and it doesn't take long for them to recognise your order and have your drinks ready as soon as they see you. We didn't over do it but had a large bottle of water at every meal and a few bar drinks the second week. Be prepared for the cost though as the water was $4 and beer $5 for a small and $10 for a pint! Also its customary to tip - waiters, room boys, bag boys etc so your dollars soon diminish. I was expecting couples on the Island but there were a lot of families especially with small children but there's not really much for them to do so I wouldn't recommend the Island for youngsters. We went on a trip to Turtle Point which was great but the house reef is so remarkable, I personally would just snorkel around the outside of the reef and your bound to see turtles or rays and its a nicer environment. To sum up, If I could afford it then I would re-visit the Island due to the reef and the friendly professional staff and I would definitely recommend the Island.

Room Tip: All rooms are located within a few metres of the beach so I wouldn't worry about it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Thai first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Ohhh... Wow...

1st time to the Maldives and this was all we could ask for. Clean (they sweep the sand twice a day), good food, incredibly friendly and attentive staff. Lovely warm water. Clean and tidy rooms in good condition - saying they need refurbishment is a trifle pedantic although not entirely inaccurate I'd suggest. Certainly ours was fine. Adequate but not super-fast internet in the reception area.

Spa is a little limited - various massages were available (watch out for the rather vigorous Discovery Massage delivered by Nina, both of us came out with bruises, but would have it again anyway!) Pool, darts, small gymn. Restaurants and bar are sufficiently large that they don't feel crowded. No evening entertainment in any meaningful way although there was a sort of half-hearted disco one night.

Diving (boat and shore) however is absolutely fantastic and the real reason for visiting this island - Manta, sting and eagle rays, various sharks, tuna, turtles, Napoleons and multitudinously coloured fish are fairly common, occasionally dolphins too although we didn't see any. House reef (coloured fish, occasional turtles, reef and nursemaid sharks etc) is easily accessible, just 20m or so from the beach.

Be warned there isn't much to do apart from diving and snorkelling, so if you have a non-diver in the party, they'll have to be self sufficient and enjoy reading.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms front the sea with maybe 5m of trees between them and the beach. However the '...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wirral,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

GENERAL STUFF. This was our fifth island and we chose it for its apparent simplicity, tiny size and the fact that it was affordable. Eriyadu will not satisfy anyone seeking luxurious modernity but if all you are looking for is a no frills great value, friendly little island with amazing snorkelling and good honest service then this is for you. We were reminded very much of Angaga and Fihalhohi as soon as we arrived and the island is very much a cross between the two. It has the smallness and intimacy of Angaga and a reef just as good, with a definite look of Fiha especially the north beach which looks for all the world like a shorter version of Fiha’s. It is now our number 1 island with Angaga at 2, Fiha 3, ‘old’ Veligandu 4 and ‘old’ Vilamendhoo 5.
ROOM CHOICES. We had a superior room (as opposed to one of the 10 newly refurbished ‘deluxe’ rooms) and although it was not Ideal Home it was spotless, large, the huge bed was comfy with good quality pillows and everything worked and the air-con was quiet. The bathroom was spacious with a large and very well-lit vanity unit with large mirror above, a bath (heaven!) as well as an outdoor shower and a new WC. The tiling was pale terracotta colour and much better than I had expected. There was lots of hot water for wallowing in a deep bubbly bath every night while hubbo used the shower. I was however glad that we had taken one of those universal plugs as the one from the basin was missing. The tap had originally had a pull-up lever type waste but the lever had obviously been removed at some stage and the plug was therefore missing. A normal plug would simply fall through the hole but the universal type which fits all basins is the perfect answer. The semi-detached rooms do let a little sound through but we had no problem with our neighbours who were all very quiet. The mini bar was very well stocked with drinks and snacks but, being on AI and too mean to pay extra we didn’t use it.
Having read other reviews, we had e-mailed the island to request either room number 114/115 or 154/5/6 and at the same time explained that we wanted to be on a wide stretch of beach with sun all day long so that we didn’t have to up sticks part way through the day. They gave us 123 and it was absolutely perfect. The beach outside the room was lovely and open, wide enough that there was sun on it all day but with greenery for shade if needed. Rooms 155 – 160 are clustered on a small sandbagged bit of beach behind the lovely long spit but we felt they were rather hemmed in and lacked the openness of the beach between rooms 120 – 133. Be aware that, as applies to many islands, the spit moves around the island according to the monsoon. If you want openness of beach, the very best rooms are 121 – 126. Much has been said about the outlook from room 110, the highest numbered of the refurbished ones and it is certainly closest to the sand of any but again the beach is not as open and loses the sun as it is small and set between 2 groins (one of which is covered in rather unsightly protective wire netting). Rooms to avoid are 157 – 160. There are dense bushes and sandbags very close to the front step, which not only means that there is no immediate access to the beach but also that any through traffic has to pass through the narrow space right in front of them. Although on the north side, rooms in the 140’s are on a very narrow beach which disappears at high tide.
SNORKELING. Oh. Oh. Oh. What can I say? Even better than Angaga or Fiha. I regularly saw, amongst others butterfly fish, angels, clowns, pipefish, wrasse, napoleon fish, surgeons, parrotfish, batfish, Moorish Idols, oriental sweet lips, sea cucumbers and unicorns. It was however the amount of bigger stuff that amazed me. There were adult black tipped and white tipped reef sharks, nurse sharks, eagle rays and black spotted rays as well as dolphins on the reef drop off. The beach bar would quite often come alive with frenzied excitement as a nurse shark, eagle ray or reef shark swam right past the decking at lunchtime or sunset but he piece de resistance was the trip to manta point ($45 + tax) where my ambition to snorkel with mantas was fulfilled. Anticipating that the manta with which we were snorkelling was about to turn anticlockwise and come back on itself I had cut away clockwise from the main pack and was so positioned that it ‘flew’ directly towards, then dipped underneath me as I hovered there in motionless awe. It was so close I could have easily reached out and touched it. As I turned to follow, it stopped a little bit deeper underneath me for what seemed like an eternity almost as if it was waiting for me but the rest of the group then caught up and the moment was gone. The experience will remain etched on my mind for ever. Un.Be.Lievable!
FOOD.
Breakfast 7 – 9 am, lunch 12 – 2 pm, dinner 7 – 9 pm. Although the buffet offered slightly less choice than at other islands, the food was good and we always enjoyed our meals. There was not enough fruit at breakfast and I would defo take some of my own next time but there was the usual range of breads, cereals, 2 fruit juices, scrambled eggs, chicken sausages, beans, omelettes, pancakes, cheese, cold meats etc. You can also have a soft egg boiled to your requirements. I had taken an egg cup with me just in case and, having apparently never seen one before, the waiters all came over to examine it! I left it there so if you want a soft boiled egg ask for it. Dinner consisted of 2 ps, 2 to-die-for curries every night (far and away the best I've had in the Maldives), fried fish, roast chicken, roast beef (very tough), roast leg of lamb (succulent and gorgeous, with mint gravy) stews, burgers and various assortments of potatoes including chips and roast, lots of veg dishes and a salad bar. The pasta station offered 2 dishes. There was a choice of 2 sweets in addition to a gorgeous daily fresh fruit salad and a hot pud such as apple crumble, rice pudding, choccy sponge. There was no cheese board. There is an optional BBQ on the beach every other Friday which costs $15 plus 16% tax/service. We were glad we hadn’t signed up for it as it rained and they all had to run for cover. Lunch is much the same sort of stuff as dinner but you can ask to eat it at one of the tables outside and your waiter will still come out to you.
SNACKS. The beach bar offers amongst others, salads $7, chicken and chips $8.50, burger and chips $8, spag bol $9, pizzas $7, sarnies $5.50, omelettes $5.50 (all plus 16% tax/service). Beers are $5, fresh juices $5, coffee $5, Coke $4, water 1.5 ltr $4, gin $5.50, whisky $5, cocktails $8 – 15 (all plus 16%).
The island is on Male time, unlike so many of the islands which are an hour ahead. This means that sunset at Eriyadu is rather early and the days short unless you get up at the crack of dawn. To overcome this we put our watches an hour ahead of Eriyadu time and were first in for breakfast and early for everything. Sunset was therefore at a more reasonable 7pm –ish ‘our time’ and the sun went down behind the trees on the beach at evening drinks time (6pm ‘our time’ but 5pm. island time). It also meant that we had the beach to ourselves for ages in the morning and after lunch. Some people couldn’t get their heads round the idea but we found it felt more normal. We put ourselves back onto island time at breakfast on the last day (we didn’t leave Eriyadu until 4pm).
SUMMARY. In 2004 on Vilamendhoo we fell in love with the Maldives. In 2013 we fell in love with Eriyadu. It was simply perfect for us. If you decide to go just make sure you get the room number that is right for you.

Room Tip: E-mail the island to tell them what it is that you want from your room location and leave the rest t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Got back from Eriyadu this Saturday after a week.

Travelled with Emirates from Heathrow. brilliant service comfortable planes, a world away from the charter flights I'd previously endured to the Maldives (Monarch & Thomson)

Got to the island to be told that our room wasn't available yet. We thought fair enough but after walking around the island and looking for our hut a couple of times it was obvious that nothing was actually happening there and they finally let us in after a couple of hours.

Nothing to add about the tired rooms except why on earth did they decide to make them semi detached? No television noise from next door, probably because the telly didn't work! But could hear the neighbours who happened to be fairly loud speaking Germans, and early risers.

It wouldn't take too much to make this island really, really nice but then the price would probably go sky high so I guess you pay your money and take your choice.

Lots of the rooms don't have access to the beach because of the overgrown undergrowth so you may well find yourself on a sun bed in the bushes. This leads to the other major problem, bugs. The island wasn't fumigated all week and we were eaten alive. We did ask at reception and was told that it was being done that evening. This turns out to be the stock answer but it didn't get done.

The service in the restaurant and bar can not be faulted. All the staff were cheerful and friendly and nothing to much bother. Good variety of food so didn't have any trouble finding a tasty meal each time.

If I hadn't got other islands to compare Eriyadu to I would probably say it was perfect but it's near neighbour Makinudu is better in almost every way. A little more TLC could make this island so much better.

Snorkelling at high tide was awesome! Not a diver so can't comment on that.

We had a lovely week because we struck lucky with our room, many have no beach when the tide is in.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are not what you expect in the Maldives!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pulborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We enjoyed our holiday I dive my husband snorkles, the island has a very good house reef & the dive school is run by Euro divers to a very high standard. We really had a great time but over all the island is getting rather tired,we had a delux beach villa, well it is far from what I call delux,all I can say is that the room & bathroom was very big, bath shower & outside shower, No extras at all had to ask for the beach towels to be changed every time, no real beach in front of some villas, only just kept clean as well, each chalet does have their own sunbeds.Very hit & miss at reception,there was no sign of anyone incharge at any time.We were all inclusive & the food was to a good standard in the main plenty of selection & excellent curries.Pool & bar area lovely great for sundowners & the bar staff lovely. The sad thing about the Maldives is that the islands are all upgrading, & with that the prices, not sure what will happen to this island they talk of an upgrade, but it will price many people out.Would I go back yes but only with friends & some staff really do need a shake up, & DO NOT expect delux rooms, for the extra you pay they are not worth it.Have spent 10 years on holidays in the Maldives & godd reasonable island are now getting hard to find. Oh for those who like to keep in touch there is free wifi.

Room Tip: DO not pay extra for delux at the monent they are not worth it.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our 4th holiday with friends on this fantastic island. We will not be repetitive about the rooms, yes they could do with a refurbishment - the bathrooms in particular though they are functional and clean- ! Once again all the staff was friendly, smiling and attentive, the food varied and abundant but what really made the holiday for us was the diving ! The Island is ideally situated for great and diversified diving, as well as having a fantastic house reef. The diving center is very well run by a young, experienced and genuinely pleasant team for which I and my fellow divers (between the 4 of us we have over 7000 dives) have nothing but praise. They offer excellent service in and above water, being relaxed yet efficient, approachable yet professional, accommodating yet maintening a high level of safety. They are always available for constructive comments (2 of us were diving with too many weights and with their advice were able to drop 1kg each without any problem). We all be returning to Eriyadu next year. With a lovely no frill island and a great diving center, who wouldn't ?

Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had another wonderful holiday on Eriyadu. 6 friends joined us as i was celebrating a BIG Birthday.Yes the rooms are a bit "tired" but how much time do you want to spend in a room. The room boys are great, they go in twice a day, nothing is too much trouble for them The beach and water are superb, the Bar and staff (especially Sabu ) are great, what more could you ask for. Roll on next year, and another birthday to celebrate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eriyadu Island Resort? Share your experiences!