“Great 1st trip to Maldives and Four Seasons” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package!
Vancouver, Canada
“Great 1st trip to Maldives and Four Seasons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Trip Advisor

My husband and I recently spent a week at the Four Seasons Resort at Landaa Giraavaru.

I wanted to give my review (and I must start by saying I'm a bit of a hotel snob after many years of business travel). I'm in my early 30s and my husband in his early 40's. We have no kids and we like to dive and relax in nice hotels. Hopefully this review helps if you are struggling to decide on a resort (as i was prior to booking).

- Resort is immaculate, the photos you see on the four seasons website are exactly what you can expect… no crazy photoshopped images to leave you disappointed upon arrival.

- Room is amazing… we stayed in an over water villa with sunrise view. Cleaning staff was very attentive, only complaint on this was that they left our front door unlocked after leaving – two days in a row – I called and told them and they never did it again. So they are fast to correct any small issue. That being said there are only 100 suites on the island and everyone pays a huge premium to be there, so there wasn't a huge worry about theft. The bathrooms are amazing, the outdoor shower is a favourite.

- Cool things… the bikes waiting for you at your room upon check in… with your initials on the front. Really fun to ride around the island on them. No cars on the island so you are either walking / biking or asking for a ride on a golf cart. The fruit bats… not dangerous, and not nocturnal like regular bats. They are so ugly they are cute, and they fly around from tree to tree. Very cool.

- Fresh water supplied everywhere for free. Room restocked with milk, tea, coffee, fruit at no charge every day.

- By the 2nd day everyone was referring to me by name and greeting me upon arriving in restaurants. On the first day I asked for a side of butter for the bread basket, and for the rest of the trip at every restaurant they brought butter without me asking for it :)

- Food is amazing – and they will make you whatever you want… special made fruit smoothies with my protein powder, or spaghetti bolognese that wasn't the menu… no problem, if they have the ingredients on the island they will make it for you. and i'm a very picky eater so i was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it so much.

- Tons of room – after years of visiting hawaii and mexico, it was my first trip to the maldives, and was amazed by how great it was to not be overpopulated with people, fighting for beach chairs. There was always more than enough chairs for everyone. The cabanas could be used at any time with no extra charge (lots of other hotels charge for cabana use).

- Complimentary sunscreen, magazines, and little treats by the pool… every so often they come by with a little ice coffee, or sorbet or something fun…

- Best massage I've ever had… my husband and I had 2 couples massages and they were both amazing. Would highly recommend them.

- 1 negative… our luggage did not make it on the sea plane with us to the resort from the Male airport, due to weight restrictions of baggage… but we weren't told in advance, so I wasn't able to grab a bathing suit or shorts or anything to change into… after a 15 hour travel day to get to the island I wanted to get out of my shoes and pants and into some summer wear, but had to wait 4 hours for the next plane ride. They did send over a few little things like toothbrush etc… and a sarong to tide us over until our things arrived, and offered a free lunch, so that was nice, but I would have rather had my own things.

- The one thing that most people don't talk about which I was nervous about in advance was the weather… my iPhone app said thundershowers every day and I was worried that I wouldn't see any sun. what you don't realize until you get there, is that thundershowers or a huge downpour of rain will happen pretty much everyday… for approx. 2 min and then the sun comes back out and it's hotter than ever. Sometimes it happens 2 times a day but again doesn't hinder the enjoyment of the day or the beach / pool at all. Grab cover for 10 min and you are good to go. We had 1 cloudy / rainy day in the 8 days (but the morning until noon was gorgeous). We were there Oct 21 - 28th (tail end of rainy season)

- Manta Ray – they offer a manta watch service where you can sign up for a phone that they will call when they find manta rays… then you can go out on the boat to swim with the mantas… we were skeptical about it, but did it anyways, as it was the cloudy day and we were just hanging around, it was AMAZING… literally 50 manta rays putting on a show, circles and gliding up to the surface, gently bumping you as they swim by. Probably the coolest water experience while we were there.

- Saw a baby dolphin in a pod of dolphins playing and jumping at the surface by our boat. Dives were great, small groups, good sites, corals and colours of corals were not as good as the red sea (Hurghada Egypt) but the fish were better. Amazing abundance of fish, wide variety and a lot of them. Eels, turtles, lemon sharks, sting rays etc.

- Gym was good, had a rower and free weights and a barbell with weights, so we were able to devise some good Crossfit workouts. Lots of other machines that other people liked as well.
Wifi around the island… some areas better than others, none was amazing, but enough to get the job done. Just don't plan to stream videos or download movies. But it's vacation so check your emails and get back to relaxing :)

I would definitely return in the future. I live in Vancouver Canada so the trip took over 24 hours each way, but still worth it… next time I'd stay 12 days instead of 8… It's the first time my husband and I have not gotten bored of a single location.

Room Tip: 301 was a great room, the 1st villa over water with sunrise view (it was nice as it didn't have...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Riley K,

It was a pleasure having the opportunity to meet you both during your recent stay and I was delighted to know how much you enjoyed your time on the island. I will be sure to share your feedback with all the team; they will be delighted to know what a positive impression they had upon your stay.

You really did take in so much of what the Resort has to offer; from cycling round the island to great diving; I am also so happy to know you got the opportunity to experience our Manta on call program. At this time of year this tends to be the highlight of so many of our guests' time on the island.

When your plans bring you back to The Maldives please do let me know. I would be delighted to assist with the details of your stay to ensure another memorable visit next time round.

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our Stay at the Four Seasons for 3 nights was simply amazing.
From the Spa, to our beach villa with private pool, to the gorgeous resort beach, to the restaurants,
Everything was perfect and the staff could not have been any nicer.
It doesn't get any better than this, love to go back again.

Only 1 regret it was very short, wish I would have stayed for at least 7 days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ADS K,

It was a pleasure reading how much you enjoyed your time in the Maldives. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again, next time for at least 7 days so you do not leave with any regrets.

Best wishes from all the team at Landaa Giraavaru,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After a fantastic trip in Feb2013, we decided to come back to LG for another week in October. My expectations were very high. In my previous review dated 26Feb2013, I said LG took my holiday concept to an astonishingly high new level, and this was 100% true. However this time it wasnt the case. Let me start my review with negatives I observed:

1. Seaplane transfer: It simply takes too long. Our flight landed at 15.00 (Emirates from Dubai) and we only took the seaplane at 17.40. It is not ideal to keep people waiting for 2.5hours after long flights. This was the case last time too so I think this is a major area for improvement.

2. We checked-in around 19:30 (resort time is 1h ahead). It took more than half an hour (after follow up calls) to get our luggage. Baby crib wasnt there, instead there was an extra bed for our 2.5yo daughter. After 20.00h, they disassembled the bed, made the crib etc...

3. Dry cleaning was broken for almost all week (?) but they kindly offered us to send our garments to Male.

4. Our kids like to go bed early so I always ask for turndown around 6pm. One day the housekeeping team didn't show up so I called them again, and eventually they did. After our kids slept and babysitter arrived, we left for the Shanghai Night in Cafe Landaa for dinner. Around 9pm, during the dinner, the receptionist came to our table and said the housekeeping team was in front of our villa but the "Do Not Disturb" light was on so they didnt enter. I said they shouldnt because our kids were sleeping and the turndown has already been made.

5. There was no electricity in the resort for almost half a day. Management said the generator was down. In the room, we used the fan instead, until midnight. The following day I went to the gym and it was boiling hot with all the windows open. The attendant told me the second generator was running and its capacity was limited so the gym didn't rank high on the list of places A/C was needed. I tried to exercise a bit but after 5-10mins, I left.

6. One morning (i think it was thursday) there was no hot water in the villa. I informed the housekeeping and they sent a couple of technicians to fix it while we were having lunch outside in the living area. Not a big deal for many hotels but i think it is a huge deal for FS LG. Why would I need to deal with technicians during my holiday.

7. In many occasions, housekeeping and in-villa dining numbers didnt respond and the operator picked up, saying they the lines were busy, he would get housekeeping/in-room dining to call us back. it reminded me of the typical call-center cliche "Your call is important to us, please hold the line..."

The idea of my review is not resort bashing. There were a lot of positives too. First and foremost, I love the employees there, especially local people are so nice and helpful. They smile all the time, they give me a lot of energy with their positiveness.

Management was also very helpful during the stay. Especially Mr Martin Cody and Ms Mali Carow. Their effort to come back from these drawbacks was huge. But again the ideal was not to have the issues in the first place.

Another big positive is that kids love this place. Kids Club is also great. My elder daughter (6yo) told Mr Cody that she wanted to live in this island forever. And Mr Cody said maybe she could become a marine biologist in the future and live there forever. Yaya loved the idea :)

The moral of my little story is, before we came to LG again, I didnt even check where else we could stay in the Maldives. Next time, I will seriously consider the alternatives. LG is a lovely place and it is still a good option. I'm sure it will rank very high on the list and I want to think these were one-off unlucky events.

Anyway, happy holidays!!

Gokhan Akan

Room Tip: Beach villa with pool is a fantastic option for families.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear G_AKAN,

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback with us following your recent visit. I was happy to have had the opportunity to catch up with you during your time on the island and hope that the end of your stay was a truer reflection of the service levels you experienced during your first visit in February this year.

My sincere apologies for the issue with the generator and the impact it had in your room and in the gym the following morning. With our location in such a remote part of the world, we are very reliant on our internal Engineering team and proud of the work they carried out on the day in question to get the power restored as quickly as possible; however I certainly understand your frustrations and the inconvenience caused. I will review in detail all the comments you shared with me from the arrival experience to the miscommunication from housekeeping with bedding preference and servicing times. This is not the type experience we want you to endure and we will work closely to improve on this.

On a more positive note I will be happy to share your positive comments with all the team; in particular Mali from Food and Beverage and Ilonka at the kids club. They will be very happy to know what a positive impression they made upon your stay. I am delighted to know that you would still consider Landaa Giraavaru for your next holiday in the Maldives and I would be happy to personally assist with the details of your stay to ensure a more memorable experience next time round.

With best wishes

Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Maldives, so I and my wife choose the best based on the price and the reviews. Or so we thought. While the the villas and other facilities(like the sports) where very good. And of course it is maldives, so a very beautiful surroundings. However, two of the restaurants where very disappointing , specifically, the cafe and the grill, the steaks were so tough. Also, the wine list was very poor, cheap (and bad selection) wines sold for very outrageous prices. As an older person (well travelled) these issues are important to me, but many young people are not so aware of these issues. The snorkeling trip was tiring since you had to swim against the current to the shallow waters because of the large boat, you have to be very fit. Moreover, there was no entertainment at night, I am sure a hotel with so many guests like FS can arrange such niceties. Last two days we stayed at TAJ and it had an unbelievable food, their wine list won 2013 award, entertainment and good service even though it is relatively a small resort. So, FS management please take note.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear 777Ibn_Battuta,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay. While I was happy to read how much you like the island and scenic location I was disappointed with the feedback regarding the food quality and wine prices. I will review the information with our Chef and his team. We recently introduced grass fed steaks to Fuego grill and have been receiving great feedback from our guests so my apologies that you did not enjoy your meal there. In recent months we have also worked on expanding the wine list at the Resort; with prices starting from $55, there is a large selection of wines priced between $55 and $70. A selection of new world wines is the latest addition. If there are any particular wines you feel we should add I would be very interested to hear your preferences.

Should you wish to discuss your feedback with me in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me personally. My contact email address is martin.cody@fourseasons.com

Sippy Downs, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was a surprise trip for our wedding anniversary and my birthday, and the staff at Four Seasons Landaa has made this trip our most memorable.

From stepping out of the controlled area in the airport, till after you check in when you leave, you are looked after by their staff. They are personal, and have a passion to ensure you are cared for and pampered. Their attention to detail is excellent; and they keep on surprising us on how much they want our stay to be perfect.

No request is too difficult, but it makes it easier that they know what you want before you know it. You were never rushed in this special place, and everyone is there just for you. Everyday, they do things to make your stay extra special.

Unlike many other resorts where children are not welcomed, this resort make sure your VIP is well looked after. Their attention to make sure our daughter is happy make us very stress free. There is always little something for the little one, and if you want some private time without children, the kids club have planned activities everyday to keep them occupied.

Of course, the location, the villas, and food (both restaurant and in villa) are all fantastic. They remember your preferences so you don't have to tell them everyday. House keeping were fantastic and starting to notice your preference and adjust accordingly.

I browsed through all the pictures before I made the selection, but none can show the true beauty until you experience the place. However, I have included our favourite.

Thank you for all the staff at Landaa and we left with nothing but the best memories.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the Water Villa, pick the Sunset side if your budget allows as the lagoon exte...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sparoz,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us recently and I was delighted to know how much all the family enjoyed their time on Landaa Giraavaru; in particular your daughter. We have many families visiting the Resort and they enjoy the Kids Club and all the activities on offer. I will be sure to share your feedback with all the team and in particular Ilonka and the kids club team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Maldives soon again and would be delighted to assist with the details of your future stays.

Asia, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Four Seasons has every little detail thought out and taken care of - which made this first trip to the Maldives ever so perfect. We went for our first anniversary and wished we had honeymooned here instead of Bali!

We loved the bikes with our names personalized on the basket, the handwritten notes from the staff and how the housekeeping remembered even our pillow preferences from our stay earlier in the week at Kuda Huraa. It's amazing how they care about the finer details, making us feel special, at ease, taken care of and so comfortable that we never wanted to leave!

We had a beach bungalow with a huge pool, outdoor space with hammock, separate living and dining area. Again, the small details were what impressed us - a nice tap by the beach entrance so we could wash our feet before coming in and the outdoor shower that we could access from the outside for a quick rinse before walking into the bathroom/shower that led into the main bedroom.

The in-villa dining was spectacular, with all staff going out of their way to accommodate any special requests we had, such as obtaining menus from the restaurants around the island and delivering the food we chose from various restaurants. No request was too small or troublesome
for them.

The spa was fantastic, with the Indian head massage, oil treatment and henna wash leaving my hair lush and glossy for days later. The island-grown herbs (recommended by the Ayurvedic doctor) used also significantly improved my skin condition afterwards.

We also had so much fun keeping busy with all the activities at hand - going on a turtle safari, watching dolphins at sunset on a traditional Maldivian dhoni and building a coral reef to help save the Maldivian corals.

The rooms are in superb condition and so spacious! I think any room would make for a wonderful holiday because the Four Seasons service will do the rest. We can't wait for our next holiday here and are trying to recover from our withdrawal symptoms in the meantime...!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pippyclearsoup,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent visit. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time on the island. It seems you enjoyed so much of what the island has to offer; from the Ayurvedic Spa to cruises at sunset with dolphins. I will be sure to share your kind words with all the team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Maldives soon again.

With best wishes

Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

It was a business trip as we were shooting Korean Airline's TV Commercial in Maldives. This hotel was the only one that client selected. From Male airport to till you leave the property the experience was over the moon. The staff was really helpful in every aspect. Rooms are fabulous. The diving, the Gym and bicycling around the island was really fun. Food is something I won't forget. they had enough options to choose, ooohhh by the way, the fruits, most of the fruits from around the world was available.

The Hotel help us to filmed our scenes without any issues, we were also cared about other guests, thats one of our company policy too. If the opportunities are right, I don't mind promoting this property again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MartinCody, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear PriyangaCFS,

It was a pleasure to work with you on the recent photo shoot for Korean Airlines. We were delighted with the results of the few days’ work. The aim was to promote the Resort as a great destination for couples and families and it has proven to be very successful. I hope we will have the opportunity to work with you again in the future and I was happy to know you enjoyed the Four Seasons hospitality during your stay.

Martin Cody

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru? Share your experiences!