“Excellent....want to go back next year!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Island Maldives

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ziyaaraiffushi Island
Summer Island Maldives
You added Summer Island Maldives to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Meheli Goalhi, 08460 (Formerly Summer Island Village)   |
swansea
“Excellent....want to go back next year!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Had a brilliant time at this island.....we had a seaplane transfer would recommend as it only takes about 10 minutes to get the island and after a long flight the last thing I wanted was to be stuck on a boat for 1-30 minutes!!!!

We had a Water Bungalow and were really pleased with it...I have to be honest it was a bit worn in places but was very clean and had a really comfortable bed had loads of hot water.

Restaurant was good.....got to be honest not lots of choice but we were in the Maldives and it is quite small island......what was there was lovely and freshly cooked and if you didn't like what was on offer just let them know and they will do some chips for you!!!

Bar....Didn't go in there much to be honest sat most nights next to the coffee room which had a TV and always had the sport on it so that was great for me and my hubby as we both like sport they also tended to show lots of premier league games and most were live on a Sat and Sunday aswell....other nights just sat in the reception which was nice and had a few drinks in there and just totally chilled out

Beach...what can I say lovely....there were some parts that did had some coral on it but not enough for it to be uncomfortable.....loungers were numbered to your room so there was no mad rush to ge up in the morning, snorkeling was great my husband went every day, quite a few rays and reef sharks were around aswell as a huge eel also the usual coloured fish I would recommend watching the staff feeding the rays it really is something not to be missed

All in all a great island....have to mention the staff ALL of them were great and we didn't feel pressured into tipping them at all.....the room boy was great really did a great job on our room....the waiters in the bar also great....our waiter in the restuarant really nice always had a smile on his face and enjoyed a little joke with you his name was Sayeed (hope I've spelt it correctly for him!!) ask for him I'm sure you'll get a great service from him

We would definately go back in fact I have already priced it up for next year.....before booking just remember it is only a 3* resort so things will be a little worn in places and not top notch but if you like informal, clean and friendly then this is definately the place to go...we have stayed at a 5* resort in the maldives previoulsy but myself and my husband both preferred Summer Island Village. what elso can I say!! Go with an open mind and you will not be disappointed

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bessieSwansea

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

It was a trip of life time. It was an isolated small island converted into a resort. We stayed in water bungalow where we got the best view of the sea. It was wooden bungalow on water. The staff were v friendly. Food was a major concern for us, but fortunately we had a srilankan chef who Prepared the food according to our choice :) We had spicy and delicious food. We got the best bungalow, best chef and a v helpful manager. Water sports was explicitly arranged for us, even though it was not present in the schedule for that day. Overall Summer Island village was too good to describe. Looking forward to go again :)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShwethaRishu
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I am going to start this review with the negatives !!!!!
Firstly the biggest and most annoying thing was that every porter, waiter and cleaner had no decorum regarding tipping. Being fair we understood tips made up their income but felt we were almost pressured into giving tips and that they hovered relentlessly until said tip was given, however both my friend and I are very accustomed to tipping but had never experience such an aggressive manner in which they tried to procure their tips, this mainly being the porters and cleaners. The waiters felt the need to inform us what was being given to them by the other guests at the hotel,for example one waiter said " Look they only gave us $2 tip and a bag of Haribos they tight people and I HATE Haribos" . What made it worse was that on the last day I distributed a $100 to the staff in tips and didn't receive one thank you back, I now wish I'd given out $2 and lots of Haribos LOL.
Unfortunately we returned home and my friend felt extremely ill and has since been diagnosed with Salmonella poisoning.

DO NOT BOTHER TO DO THE MALE Submarine TRIP IT'S PANTS AND A WASTE OF MONEY,

However please don't allow this to put you off, the Island itself is a piece of paradise, very relaxing, peaceful and we had the privilege to meet diverse and interesting people from all over the globe. The food tasted good and was presented well, and the alcohol measures were very generous and very potent which made the evenings entertainment all the more enjoyable lol.
The marine life around the jetty was breath taking truely beautiful. The sunset will be something that we will always remember and the Lagoon was an absolute delight to swim in.
the bar staff always had a friendly greeting ......except yes you guessed it ' The famous Grumpy Barman' lol.
I would highly recommend the sea plane, not only was the view leaving the Island breath taking but your journey is shortened by at least 1hr 20 Min's.
One more positive MONARCH no longer fly there Yaaay

1 Thank gipsyroselee
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

My husband and i have just returned from our 1 wk holiday to SIV and it was AMAZING in fact words cannot describe just how amazing it was.i cant believe some people are disappointed with there holiday here.I fell in love with the food and if it had not been for all the snorkelling that i done while i was there i would be the size of an elephant! my favorite meal times were lunch and the evening meal. The the smell off the food was amazing , the taste , flavours and textures ... all i can say is mmmmm..... yummy.
The room we were in firstly was 51 ( sun deck) we were then given an upgrade to 52 wich had a beach hut at the side of the bungalow . The room was cleaned regularly through the day , the room boy was great , friendly and very polite.Inside our room was a double bed and a single , air con , and a fridge , the shower was working very well, and we had fresh towels every morning. We woke up nearly every morning to visits from lovely green parrots on the rooftop , reef sharks , parrot fish, trigger fish, and the crabs under the deck were very entertaining to watch , i still cannot believe how fast they can run or the fact that if you gave them a skipping rope they would give it good try ( the can jump quite high) . The ants over there could lift weights , they are huge !!! thank god for the spray in the wardrobe!
The bar was really nice as were the staff, from reading other reviews about ( the grumpy man behind the bar) ? If you speak to him he is rather friendly and had a lovely smile . The bar area is all sand which was great at night for rubbing your feet around in it, it could be quite cooling.There was one disco while we were ther and it was good music but extremely loud so it was very difficuly to have a conversation and im not much of a lip reader.!! The bar staff were very attentive and were always making sure you had a drink . our waiter was tchina ( im sure thats not how you spell it) he was fantastic and friendly and we tipped the bar nearly every night! They deserve it as they work so hard and it was extremely busy most nights .For the first few night the ladies toilet was out of order but when they did fix it, it was nice to find some company in there while you powdered your nose , the company came in the form of a gheko, a little rubber looking lizard type thing!! so a trip to the toilet was worth while !!!
we snorkelled most days , and it was breathtaking , so many different fish so many beautiful colours, an underwater camera is a MUST! I must admit , the only time i got a fright underwater was when a big shark swam past me , but they dont bother about you, we are too big a fish for them to eat!
we went night fishing , i was slightly dissapointed at not catching anything , but i did get a few bites , my face lit up when some guy caught a massive fish !! so its not a complete waste of time and i would definately do night fishing again.
At night i would go out onto the beack for a walk and you would see on the shore plankton that light up into the most fluorecent blue colour i have ever seen it was magnificent to see in pitch darkness!
While we were there there was a big rainstrom and it was amazing i could only describe it as a monsoon, it was fantastic .
I also done a little shopping at the small shop on the island (very expensive) i bought 2 cups , 2 fridge magnets , 1 post card a small plastic pen and a keyring and it cost around 50 dollars!!! however the staff in the shop were friendly.
One morning we were out walking and went to visit the rabbits , and the guy who was cleaning them out let me feed them , so i was very happy about that as thet were so cute. the people on the island work very hard and care a lot about all the animals , birds and fish it is so lovely to see people take such pride in there work as you dont come across much of that in the uk. the island is very clean and well maintained . We will be back next year for definate and hopefully stay 2 weeks . It was a dream holiday/honeymoon minus the bounty! i should have bought one at the shop!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shamoose
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband, my dad and I went to Summer Island last week. I have rushed stright onto write a review on my first morning back because I want to share my true feelings about this fantastic resort and the variable reviews it receives.

My family and I became a little alarmed the week before we left because of the spell of bad reviews the island appeared to be receiving. This was our first trip to the Maldives and we had hoped it would be amazing. I am happy to report that it lived up to our expectations!

The important thing about Summer Island is that it is beautiful, clean, and everybody is friendly and make you feel welcome. This island is only a 3 star resort, and the price reflects that. Therefore we did not go expecting a 5 star resort, and we were pleasantly surprised.

Although I felt I had an awesome holiday, and the staff are 5 star, there are 2 things that technically make it 3 star. They are the lack of extra facilities - no gym/swimming pool (which is not needed - the lagoon is only 3-5 feet deep, clear, and as warm as a bath with no current at all), or alternative restaurant/bar; and secondly the quality of the fixtures and fittings in the rooms. I actually was not bothered by either of these things - we had picked the resort based upon the diving and the fact that there wasn't regular noisy evening entertainment. The island is too small to accommodate extra facilities like that, and it just isn't needed if you spend your evenings chatting with a glass of wine over the days activities amongst yourselves or with new friends. I think this helped to make the holiday more relaxing than usual.

The quality of the room decor is not great, but everything worked, the shower was warm, and our room (we had a room with sun deck) was located on the edge of the lagoon with a beautiful view. We were not fussy that it looked a bit tired and patched up in places. In fact it almost added to the charm! When you see the staff on the island making their own bricks in the sun, and using only man power for everything, it makes you appreciate how hard the Maldivians work to create and maitain what is there. Summer Island is a good hour and 45 mins by boat from Male, so getting bulky/heavy things to and from it is rather a feat.

The diving was AMAZING, and the team at Diverland (instructors, divemaster and boat crew) are really friendly, helpful and welcoming. The food was fine, if a bit Westernised for my liking - there is always a good range of things to choose from and usually bread, chips, rice/pasta and soup for those who don't want to try something new! The beer only came back on tap towards the end of the week, but while the supply of barrels was down, there was Lion beer from cans served instead. The house wine was suprisingly drinkable too, so we had no issues at all from the all inclusive front.

In summary, Summer Island is a little more budget than many of the other islands, making it that bit cheaper to go, but it is rich in experience, and friendly people. If you don't go expecting a 5 star resort, you will have the most amazing holiday, with memories that will last a lifetime. I don't tend to go to the same place twice, but I'm already itching to get back...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank HFletcher
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Just returned from a week on summer island and had a wonderful time.
We stayed in room 52 which was a sun deck which in our view and some friends we met view that our room was 1 of the best on the island.
There seems to be two sides to the islands a cooling breezy side and a calm but hot side (jetty side).
In our view rooms 52, 53and the water bungalows are the best. On the breezy side rooms51, 54 to 69, hot side 1 to about 35 are second best. Rooms 35 to 47 Havant got much of a beach if any. 48 to 50 what we saw was lost to erosion.
Are rooms were cleaned every day, new sheets and towels.
We didn’t wear anything on our feet all week which was nice as the floor all over are sandy.
The staff we found to be very nice and found if you say hello always smiled back. Food we enjoyed and never spoke to anyone who had been ill from the food. Drinks, the red and the white wine are good. Lion beer ok, the cocktail of the day and sprits are very strong .
The sea life around the island are great so make sure you pack your snorkelling gear. They also feed the rays on the jetty every tues and fri which is worth seeing. Second time we snorkelled at the same time as they fed them and found ourselves swimming with a very big ray.
Me and my wife had a wonderful week there and if you just want to kick back and chill it great. Its not 5 star and if treat it as a 3 star then you will enjoy. Its got great beaches and views.
The manager Mr Waheed is a very nice man hes always very helpful.
When we were there was about 70% german to about 30% british which was ok had no problems and met some great friends Abraham, Louise , Ian and Julie.

1 Thank nickharr
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Just returned from my 13th visit and my partners 2nd. Everything was absolutly fantastic asusual. The staff were fantastic and cannot to enough for you.
We were worried before going has the weather forcast said it was going to be really bad for the whole 2 weeks, but there was nothing to woory about has it was fantastic for the whole 2 weeks, we only had rain for 2 mins.
Would like to say a big thank you to Lucy the Cosmos rep for arrainging our seats for the flight home.
A very big thank you to Waheed and all his staff for making our stay special.
A special thank you to all the friends we made, Marina, Dave, Maria, Barry, Jane, Richard, Sharon, Dave, Michelle and Allan. What a laugh we all had, the memories will last forever.
I would like to say to thoese who read the bad reports dont listen just go and see for yourselves i am sure you wont be dissapointed, if it is has bad has some say i would not have returned for the 13th time.

2 Thank lesleyswinburne

Been to Summer Island Maldives? Share your experiences!