“Lovely holiday!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Island Maldives

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ziyaaraiffushi Island
Summer Island Maldives
You added Summer Island Maldives to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   08460 (Formerly Summer Island Village)   |
Hampshire
“Lovely holiday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Just got back from SIV and had a wonderfully relaxed holiday. We arrived in Male at 11 am and had to wait 3 hours for the seaplane - which was quite frustrating as we were very hot and tired, but they had to wait for passengers from another flight. The seaplane was fantastic - the sights of the turquoise ocean and the islands is breathtaking!

We had a water bungalow which was basic but more than adequate - it was cleaned twice a day with fresh linen everyday. The bed was huge!! Bathroom was a little shabby but spotlessly clean. The weather was absolutely fantastic with just one overcast day. Was a little disappointed that the sand was a little coarse in places but it was lovely to have a dedicated space to ourselves on the beach, and there was rarely more than four other people the whole length of the beach on any given day - I often wondered where they all went!

The waiter (Ameen) was sweet and very helpful. Most of the staff were more than willing to help and any request was acted on very quickly. The bar staff were lovely, except miserable bar manager and the oiks on the reception desk who obviously thought it was beneath them to reply to your Good Morning LOL. Was slightly disappointed that they didnt make more effort to make the cocktails fancier - I wanted a del boy special but was just an ordinary glass with not a cocktail umbrella in sight! Orange juice was slightly disappointing as I think it was squash rather than fresh juice.

The food was OK, curries were lovely and to be honest I felt like I was continually eating!! The egg man deserves a mention for his friendly smile every morning. Breakfast was cereals, toast, eggs of any description, juice, tea, coffee, beans, French toast, sausages of some description. Lunch/Dinner always included soup (lovely 90% of the time), small salad bar, fish, meat, then a selection of pasta/potatoes etc. Would have liked tea and coffee throughout the day as I didn’t always want to drink fizz or alcohol. Bottled water is free.

Most of the clientele are German but they were friendly and always passed the time of day.

Snorkelling was amazing – I just wish I had known what some of the fish were called – I’ve never moved so quick as I did the day I saw a shark about 10 yards away!! Everyone killed themselves laughing. I did get a bit nervous about swimming near the rays and the parrot fish – but it really was amazing and when I go back to the Maldives am definitely gonna do some diving lessons.

I could go on for days, but all in all we had a fantastic fabulous lazy laid back holiday – eating, swimming and sleeping is all we did – absolute bliss!!! - and don’t forget to feed the fish a bit of bread from your hand, they will mug you in no time LOL

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

My wife and I flew from Glasgow to Male via Dubai with Emirates and I have to say this air carrier is like no other!! Service was great, food was great, drink was great and entainment was great. But this is a review on Summer island village so i will move on.

On arriving at the island we were amazed to find that the place looks even better than it did in photos and i found that hard to believe. walking down the peer and looking into the water we could see all sorts of fish i had never seen before not to mention the clown fish whom we named Nemo (suprise suprise). We were greeted and taken to the reception for check in which was painless and a good chance to cool down after the 1 hour 40 min boat transfer. From there we made our way through the islands many trees and plants and headed toward the water bungalows.

The bungalows were well equipt and came with a security box, tv and fridge. these were all complementary however I think we could have lived without any of them.
Yeah yeah yeah the rooms are basic and could do with a make over but to be honest I wouldnt have changed them as I believe the way they are is part of the character of this beautiful island.
Each room has its own allocated area on the beach with a beach hut and loungers so you dont have to get up early with your towels to get a bed. this was ideal as we sometimes never got up till after 10 and could still go out and get our loungers hasstle free.
The island itself was amazing a whole variety of wildlife lives there and this is enough to keep you entertained. you can walk the distance of the island and not see another person it was fantastic. Large fruit bats fly between the trees during the day. All sorts of bird and lizard life to see not to mention the sharks!!!
The food in the hotel was very reasonable. sure there were time where we never went to a meal but with bar snacks available for a very very reasonable price ($4 for club sandwich and fries) you could choose to skip the buffet meals once in a while.
The bar staff were superb. Always on hand to serve you or even just chat. the guys made you feel very welcome and served you your drinks without even asking.
I also want to mention Ram. Ram is one of the security guys on the island and is a very very very helpful gent. Rams advice certainley added to our holiday experience and i want everyone to meet this man when they get there i guarantee he will be very helpful and offer you all kinds of helpful hints and tips regarding the island.

SIV is a fantastic place to visit.

Would i go back..........i would in an instant.
Remember its a 3 star island. but this is paradise, the staff are 5 star and the price is 5 star.

Going here is a must and i would recommend it!!!

suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

This was my first trip to the maldives and I really didnt know what to expect but I must say we really enjoyed our two weeks at SIV. Me and my fiance are in our 20s and the only thing we found is that we did get bored at times but it is only because we are used to being so active back home. If you want to chill out and relax then this is the place to go. You are totally unaware what is going on back home and you get to spend quality time together.The snorkling is great activity to do, make sure you take your own snorkel, mask and flippers as the shop is very expensive. The last week we had a few days bad weather and found this is when we got bored as there is not much to do in wet weather. The bar staff and our waiter were very friendly and helpful. The room is cleaned everyday and kept spotless. The food was really good, make sure you have a meal on the beach as it is amazing! We made some lovey friends, most people are friendly, a few can be rude but we didnt let this bother us. The spa is fantastic and the girls who work there are lovely. Dont let bad reviews put you off, it is a lovely place, yes you do go past some amazing looking places but they are 5 or 6 star! SIV is perfect for the price you pay. There is entertainment on a saturday night which is a disco but we did feel perhaps another night during the week could of done with something. Overall we had a brilliant time, my boyfriend proposed too so it made it even more amazing. Our beach bungalow was lovely, you have your own bit of beach and the sea is just gorgeous.

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

We have never been to the Maldives before and it has long been on my list of places to visit. It lived up to my expectations! Accommodation was basic but absolutely fit for purpose, air conditioning was efficient, rooms were cleaned once per day but then staff re-visited to turn the bed down in the evening. View of the Indian Ocean from our balcony was gorgeous - if not a little noisy due to the strong gusts of wind that whipped up at night.

The Island itself was picturesque, we were fortunate with the weather, only one day of rain - but was always very hot whether cloudy or blue skies. Perfect for snorkelling and relaxing. Bear in mind no television in the cheaper rooms - but a very handy mini library where you can borrow books for your stay.

The transfer to the Island from Male took 1 hour and 40 mins by boat - this was a little bumpy on the way out and so we upgraded and took the sea plane back to Male at the end of the holiday - well worth the additional cost for the views of all of the other islands and turquiose sea!

Summer Island Village was great, if you are on a budget but want to see the Maldives...and if you are looking for true relaxation with not much in the way of evening entertainment - then this hotel would be worth considering.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Rooms are basic but cleaned daily, what else do you need when you have the best beach and sea on you doorstep. Stayed in water bungalow, basic compared to other islands and agree don't look from outside the best but you could watch amazing sunsets from your balcony and always a perfect breeze. Fish were great around the island for snorkelling if not a little too friendly!. Only spoke to one couple the whole 10days who seemed disappointed with the island. Considering the resort was almost full it was hard to sit near anyone all day on the beach. We spoke to people that had been back many times and tried 5 star islands but thought they were less friendly. Waiter (Saud) was really helpful smiled all the time and couldn't do enough for us. Food was good, we paid extra for Lobster dinner on the beach which was great. Bar staff and reception were great and if you gave the time to chat they became very friendly. Couldn't think of a better place to go and chill out, cant wait to go back. The location is ideal since you don't get any traffic apart from the island boats and occasional sea plane. We also met some great friends, english as well as german. Dirk the watersport guy is great but only there in the Summer as he disappears for the Ski Season to Switzerland, lucky guy!
If you want more luxury then perhaps the 5 star islands are for you but I thought it was perfect.

Newcastle UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Food ok not much choice, rooms basic but clean, snokeling ok, diving better, dico music on saturday night if you like that kind of thing, drinks ok, lots of Germens but most of them ok...lol, Male is good safe and good food places, no insect problems.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
fiocco_tilly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I totally agree with absjam. It's not all negative but this Island really needs a shake up. The snorkelling here was wonderful and I thoroughly loved my holiday to the extent that I was trying to get hold of my rep to add another week to my trip. The reason I wanted to stay was for the ocean and the sailing. But in all honesty if I went back to the Maldives I would pick somewhere else.

My first impression of summer island was disappointment. We passed all these beautiful looking Islands with thatched roofs like you see in most pictures of the Maldives. Then Summer Island came into view with its rocky seascape and concrete bungalows with metal roofs. I couldn't believe it. I am quite a positive person and told myself that it will all look better after you get used to it. Then we were greeted by a bored looking unfriendly guy from reception. The staff here really need either some training or a raise, I am convinced they are not paid very well and really do not want to be bothered by the guests. It's not all bad and some of the bar staff are great and very attentive, also the chefs were friendly but I would say 70% of the staff do not want to communicate with you.

Example, my wife and I and two other guest were taken out on a boat by one of the staff to do some snorkelling. We jumped out into the ocean and the boat vanished. We all looked towards the Island was only a mile or two away and agreed not to panic, IF the boat did not come back in half hour we would swim towards the Island. The staff just can't be bothered to communicate. You had to second guess them day after day right up until we left.

One day they fumigated the Island and I was lucky enough to be near my room. I am an asthmatic and in seconds I was standing there in my swimming trunks in an incredibly foul smelling chocking smoke and the guys pumping in out were all wearing masks and suits. I think they were trying to kill all the bugs but why can they not just tell you before hand, I was stunned.

The only people who save this place are the dive school and watersports guys who are all european multi-lingual and really friendly. Especially Dirk who can't help but pass on his enthusiasm and knowledge for sailing and the sea. I only reason I would want to go back to Summer Island is for some more lessons with Dirk as he is a diamond.

Also the Serena Spa was very good according to my wife. Good massages and other pampering.

Both the spa and school are separate companies to Summer Island Village.

The food is not very good and I am not that fussy. One night my wife and I paid for a lobster and our neighbours said we were lucky as the food that night was so bad they just ate the bread. Some of the dishes were ok and I usually found something I liked but as I said I am not fussy. Breakfast had surprisingly good coffee. The problem is they are trying to cook for europeans and do not cook maldivian cuisine. I eat anything and I can honestly say the food on the Emirates flights (great airline) were better than anything Summer Island give you and they also offered native dishes.

Pretty much everyone I spoke had the same impression of summer Island and I don't understand the people that rave about it. One couple upgraded to a water bungalow and were so disappointed they tried to downgrade again.

One plus is the cleaning, the rooms were cleaned twice a day. The Island is swept everyday and they clear the coconuts from the many palms. I only saw one coconut fall near me in the whole two weeks.

There are manufactured rocks all around the Island and are not pretty but I think these attract a lot of the sea life so are probably a plus point if you like swimming with the fish like I do. You get baby sharks, rays and a whole variety of fish as soon as you walk into the surf which was wonderful to see.

At the end of the day it is a 3 star Island and if its all you can afford then go there and I'm sure you will have a good time like I did. But I wish more reviews would tell it like it is so you can formulate a true picture of the place. Personally if I had known I would have gone somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Summer Island Maldives? Share your experiences!