“WOW !! - Excellent !! - Perfect !! - we will be back .... !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LUX* Maldives

You added LUX* Maldives to your Saves list
LUX* Maldives
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Dhidhoofinolhu, South Ari Atoll, Maldives, Maldives (Formerly Diva Maldives)   |
Special Offer
Get 25-35% off + more !!!
Aalborg, Denmark
“WOW !! - Excellent !! - Perfect !! - we will be back .... !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This island is the greatest.
Just like the postcards of the paradise of Maldives. Never tried these white sands, 200% relax when you want, or diving with Whale Sharks (we dived with 2) if you wanted a thrill.
With a private beach house, all-inclusive at all the different restaurants, house keeping and cleaning two time a day (they even swept the sand on the beach every morning), High tech Gym, and a watersports center - you really want to live there !!
(just give me an internet line, and Im all-in for working from the beach :-) )
We had the greatest person, Shareef, taking care of our two Beach Houses. We installed our 3 daughters in one, and Charlotte and I stayed in another just beside on the beach.
Every day he produced the nicest/funniest figures of the towels placed on our beds, with one hand, and cleaned everything with the other.
All staff was truly amazing, and there are at least one staff pr. person, and I cannot count the smiles and "goodmornings" I have said during this greatest holliday ever.
When we arrived, we were personally met by the manager of the whole LUX* island - Dominik, wanting to make sure, that we started relaxing from the minute we arrived.
During the 12 days on Maldives we also booked the Islands Dive Center (EURO Divers), in order to get PADI Open Water divers certificate. All three daugthers (12y, 14y and 16y) incl. myself passed the exam, and a whole new world of breathing under water opened up ....
Diving is a "must do" on Maldives!! - imagine you are dipped into the clearest blue water ever, and several thousands of colorfull saltwater fish are swimming around you. Corals come alive on the reef, and small baby sharks are slowly moving below you....you look up, and a giant Mantaray (3 meters), swing by you within one meter......its amazing - truly WOW experience!!
As a father to three teenage daughters, swiming on 10 meter water, and then experience my youngest daughter (12y) passing below me between 200 beautifull yellow saltwater fish, and then looking up, signing "ok" with her hand.....its undescribable.....
I can keep on writing about this absolutly totally great LUX resort - but just buy a postcard of the Maldives, or watch the video from LUX* Maldives on youtube - IT IS JUST LIKE THAT, nothing have been through photoshop for editing. Go there and enjoy - we did, and its not the last time

Room Tip: Buy the "ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE", and request beach house facing sunset :-)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMLUX, General Manager at LUX* Maldives, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Charlotte and Peter,
We are very proud having succeeded in making your holidays so special and we want to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor World. The recommendation from
one guest to potential ones is the best reward we can receive! It is indeed a place like in post cards…. it is just like that. ☺

I have shared your kind comments with all the islanders’ particularly with Shareef, your villa attendant. Thank you for noticing the friendliness of our team; it is such a reward for all of us.

I am happy to see that you had a great holiday and I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future! By the way, congratulations on passing the PADI open water exams. I am glad that you and your kids had an amazing experience under the water. I am very happy to know that your girls had a great time here. We are absolutely pleased to have feedback like yours happily shared and on-hand for the ones who wish to come to the Maldives with their children. ☺ See you soon!
With best wishes from us all,
Dominik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

just came back from the lux resort , awesome holiday , was really spolied.
here are some of the bad things first:
Arrived there was no one to greet us , had to find the help desk and take it from there.
the transfer to the hotel is completely bewildering , no one new what was going on.
the food was great but could do with a bit more variety but thats a small picking.
the honeymoon package im sorry but i felt alot to be desired , honeymoon are meant to be special once in a lifetime experience, it didnt feel like it.
Hassim who looked after our room truly spoiled us , Khan at the Bar was amazing complete super star.
The holiday was not cheap but def worth it , but take the all inclusive package its a life saver, coming from africa it would have killed our budget if we didnt take it.
We meet at the reception by Maggiep ( i hope i got the spelling right) she was wonderful , great fan fair but when you leave not so much as a whimper.
i would like to go back for my Birthday in Nov but a few things bothered me , to many kids running around with no supervision , would have liked to have a adult section just for adults sorry i know that harsh but you do wish to have some privacy.
and Lagoon bar staff very unfriendly went there once didnt go back sent my wife to get me the awesome ice cream
when sitting on the beach someone should come and offer drinks
the experience was awesome just should make it a bit more special , some of the times i felt like cattle
hopefully next time we go things might be a tad different .
but def highly recommend place if u can afford it.

Room Tip: take the all inclusive
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your experience with us. We apologize for the lapse in our service. Rest assured that we will continue to work on improving our service. Thank you for your constructive comments as this helps us to continue to strive for perfection!
On the other hand, I am truly glad that you have left us with a positive memory of your stay on the island and have enjoyed your island life. Should you be willing to visit LUX* Maldives again on your birthday, we would certainly like to hear from you. Staring July we might have direct flights from Mauritius which would make the trip from South Africa much quicker!
With best wishes from us all.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We came here for our honeymoon and finally decided on LUX as the prices were reasonable and we liked the rooms of the resort. We made our booking through Atoll Paradise after reading reviews by others that they made their reservation through them too and we were right to do that! Atoll paradise rates offers competitive rates and they tell you the final price u have to pay, no hidden costs! Transfers are all arranged for you so you dont have to worry about it at all. As LUX is located further away from the airport, you would need to take a seaplane to get to the island. The wait for the our seaplane transfer was a long 2hrs wait. For those taking seaplane transfer, bear in mind that u may see fellow passengers who are on the same flight as you but their seaplane transfer are scheduled before you. There's nothing much we can do about it actually except to wait.

Anyway, we stayed 4 nights there, 2 nights beach and 2 nights at the water villa (PWV). We were very lucky to be upgraded twice for both our rooms, so eventually we stayed at the sunset beach villa (352) and the prestige water villa (404). Both villas were great, but we absolutely loved the PWV. bathrooms were huge and the villa had direct access to the lagoon. The villas were clean and well kept and your room gets clean twice a day! we snorkeled near our villa but most of the corals there were dead, managed to see some fishes though. heard that the snorkeling trips offered by the hotel were great but unfortunately I was sick and we didnt get to go for it. We went for the sunset cruise too, it was amazing and we managed to catch a few glimpses of dolphins!

Food at Lux were excellent, and I personally loved Senses the most. Although its located at the far end of the resort (at west point), i think one should definitely go try it out. The island isnt that big anyway so u can either walk/cycle/take a buggy ride there. Breakfast was good too, there are 2 places for breakfast, one at the island kitchen and the other at the East. There's more variety at Island compared to East but the view is East is so much better. Anyway to us the food prices are considered as reasonable (since everything has to be imported). We were glad that we didnt take half board as going for breakfast only gave us more options for our other meals. I would recommend that if you dont drink and doesnt eat alot, going for the breakfast only option would be good enough. The most expensive meals are usually the buffets whereby it cost 75USD per pax excluding taxes (10% + 8%) and drinks (even mineral water). Ala carte items are not that expensive, main course generally cost around 20+ to 40+USD. of course they have more expensive items too.

For the beach is usually deserted even though the resort is full. Service is always good and everyone greets you whenever they see you.

There was only one thing that we felt wasnt quite well done, which was the honeymoon benefit. There were supposed to be a cake and a bottle of champagne for us but none of it came until our last night. We called and asked a couple of times and different staff said different things, some say will send it to our room on the first night, some said it will be provided during the honeymoon dinner... Eventually only the cake was given to us. We didnt really mind it cuz we dont drink that much, but other couples may mind and it doesnt seems too good from the service point of view.

Anyway that was the only small downside of this resort, everything else was fabulous! There's the phone booth for free calls, fish feeding at 5pm at west point (PWV area), free bicycles to cycle around (only those black & orange coloured ones!) and lastly the water point is actually on the pathway that leads to the PWV, located next to the beach and the resort staff hostel. If you are someone looking for a relaxed holiday somewhere truely away from the city life then come to Lux maldives!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We always want our guests to leave with amazing stories to tell and am glad that you had a memorable stay. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Though your arrival is not ideal I am still glad to know that your experience at LUX* Maldives exceeded your expectations. Our villas are designed to our guest’s comfort and leisure. I am glad that you had a blissful of relaxation on your own “private hideaways”.

I am so sad to know that you were sick during your visit with us and didn’t have the chance to join the snorkeling trip. But glad that you somehow managed to join the sunset cruise and had the glimpsed of dolphins.

Your concerns regarding the honeymoon benefit will definitely be addressed as we always strive to make such important holidays extra special.
On the other hand, I am very pleased to know that you really had a “true holiday” with us. Your good words have been passed to the team; it is such a reward for their hard work.

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future.

With best wishes to you both!
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great resort - clean, friendly staff and lots of things to do for everyone. It was our first time in the Maldives but we did try another resort before coming to Lux. LUX by far was the better one. As we were transferring from another island, we weren't sure what sort of arrangements were required to get this done. From the start they made things very easy - they coordinated with the other place, they met us at the Air Taxi terminal and brought us to their private lounge where we filled out the necessary paperwork to check in. Free wi-fi and drinks while waiting for our flight. So as soon as we got the island all that was needed was a brief orientation on where things were. Even though we arrived early they promptly checked us in without question and without extra charges (check in time is normally 2 pm but we arrived at around 9:30 AM).

We traveled with our 16 yr old son and he loved the place. There was a lot of things for him to do - play tennis, a well equipped gym, 2 pools, etc. Too bad there weren't enough kids his age when we were there so their teen club was not available.

Food was quite expensive but that's to be expected. The quality though was great. Try out the Umami restaurant (Japanese), not as expensive as the others but the quality of the food was probably the best. The chefs were really nice and even came over to talk to us. Thanks Alfie and Allan for making sure our last dinner there a memorable one!

I did the whale shark dive and ended up seeing 2 - one we snorkelled with (the whale shark came just after our 1st dive so we just jumped right back into the sea to swim with it) and a baby whale shark on our 2nd dive. Probably the best dive I've had so far and I've been diving for more than 20 years. The corals near Sun Island were full of colors. Abundant sea life although you won't see a lot of the big ones. Lots of small sharks. I forgot the name of our dive master but he was great - an Italian fellow. Pity most of the other divers from other resorts appear to have little respect for the whale shark or they have not been properly briefed by their dive masters/guides - keep your distance, don't use the flash, etc.

This is a big island so you don't feel crowded at all - I think when we were there they said the resort was 75% full. The beaches are white, clean and powdery soft and it felt like we were on our own private island. Make sure you book on the side where the pool is as the beach area there is much better (this is the side where the sea plane docks or the same side as the reception area). Don't miss the old gentleman that comes around in the mornings offering fresh coconut juice.

We just booked a beach pavilion but to us it was enough. I'm sure the rest are much better and bigger but that's all you'll ever need in this place. The water bungalow doesn't really feel like it's worth it - it's in very shallow waters, sea life isn't anything to write home about (you have to take a free boat ride to go to their house reef) and it's quite a walk out in the open to get to the restaurants and other facilities. For me it would be better to book the pavilion then use the money to splurge on food and other activities.

Would we come back - you bet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the resort. I am very happy to read your stay at LUX* Maldives. We are glad to know that your experience with us surpassed your expectations.
I have shared your comments with our chefs especially with Allan and Alfie at Umami Restaurant. Thank you for noticing the great quality of our food and for sharing it with other travelers.
I am also glad that even we don’t have many teens in the island during your stay; your son still enjoyed all the activities and facilities that our Resort has to offer.
Lastly, I am very delighted to know that you had enjoyed your diving and snorkeling experience with the whale shark. It is really indeed a great experience and many guests come here to fid their first whale shark! I hope you brought home lots of pictures along with those great memories.
We hope that you will return to our island again for yet another deserved holiday.
With tropical regards,
spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We loved our stay in LUX Maldives. It was our first trip to Maldives and we were really impressed.
The hotel is very nice and the water villa was gorgeous. We had booked a Junior suite but once we arrived there we upgraded to a prestige water villa and it was soooo much nicer!!! I really recommend booking a water villa, I'm not so sure if it's worth the prestige water villa or if the water villa is enough. I tend to think water villas are still very nice.
The staff was very helpful and the place is so relaxing that time flies.
The only negative point for us was the food. They are extremely overpriced, which it was already expected, but the variety and quality of the food are a little bit disappointing considering what you pay. We ended up ordering in-villa dining and that was OK although the options are quite limited.
Overall I recommend this hotel if you want to spend a week in paradise!.

Room Tip: Go for the water villa.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.
I do appreciate your comments regarding the price of our food. On a remote island like Maldives, it requires a lot of efforts to transfer items from across the globe. I am proud to say our prices are very competitive, in many cases below those of the competition as we constantly compare prices of other resorts in the Maldives.
On the other hand, I am glad your first trip to the Maldives was impressive. And I am also pleased to know that you had a memorable stay at LUX* Maldives and you enjoyed your island life.
I hope to welcome you soon again at LUX* Maldives, for another memorable experience or to simply indulge in relaxation.
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Hotel really had everything. We had a humble pavilion, by far the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. The sea was as close as a flip of the coin and our stretch of beach was mostly deserted. Because of the size of the resort, we did feel that we were on an island and strolls weren’t over in 10 minutes! Enormous attention to detail from the moment we left the sea plane. Excellent service, the room pristine clean and delicious food. Thanks to Ryan's patient help in the gym, we didn't roll home at double our weight!
LUX, your staff are wonderful! How about a decent system for tipping, a pot which could be shared fairly... voluntary, but discreetly advertised. A little mention of the man who fed the stingray each evening! He could hardly have been expecting a tip from bathing clad photographers and yet he gave us such a broad grin and a friendly wave. So very typical of these lovely people who must be working far from their homes and families!

Room Tip: They all looked pretty good to me!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I am really glad that you had a wonderful stay at LUX* Maldives! Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
I have shared your kind comments with the team. It is indeed a very inspirational comment to all the islanders. I have also noted your suggestion about tipping and we do have a system in place where we share a portion of the income with all team members equally. Guest at times opt to leave a tip at the reception desk which also gets added to the same pot. But it is truly comments like yours and from many others that inspire the team and all of the reviews are shared with the team on a regular basis!
We hope to welcome you again at LUX* Maldives for another wonderful experience.
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

we have just returned from the lux maldives after spending nine days there in a beach villa.from the day we got there to day we left was the best experience of our life.The staff were truly amazing and we would like to say a special big thank you to shifaz and pintu from senses as there was so friendly and could not do enough for us,also the staff in the island bar bent over backwards for us.The food was spectacular the staff was warm and friendly,and the views of the island was just magical.we surely will be returning to the lux[paradise] in the future....The edwards and speight family villas 233, 234.

Room Tip: Beach villas were excellent !!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Warm greetings from LUX* Maldives! I wish to thank you for having taken the time to share your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to see you appreciated the quality of our beach villas, the magical view of the island, the atmosphere. We are very happy to know that we have succeeded in making your holiday the “best experience of your life”.
We put a strong emphasis on our team members’ attitude since it plays a big part on our guests’ experience. Your comments have been shared with all the islanders particularly with Pintu, Shifaz and the Island Bar team.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back on the island for another memorable stay!
Dominik

Been to LUX* Maldives? Share your experiences!