“Perfect Honeymoon, Amazing place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LUX* Maldives

You added LUX* Maldives to your Saves list
LUX* Maldives
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Dhidhoofinolhu, South Ari Atoll, Maldives, Maldives (Formerly Diva Maldives)   |
Special Offer
Get 25-35% off + more !!!
Cheadle Hulme, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect Honeymoon, Amazing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We came back from LUX Maldives last week after spending a week here on honeymoon. What a beautiful island. The staff are amazing and can't do enough to help you. We stayed in a beach villa on the sunset side. it was perfect. The island is one of the larger ones but this is great as it means there is always choice of where to eat and drink. Shan at the east bar makes the best cocktails on the island, not to be missed!! Khan at Veli is always happy and welcoming for a lovely lunch by the pool/beach. Make sure you make table reservations at the a la carte restaurants early so that you sre not dissapointed when they are full. Especially Umami, The Japanese.
The Whale shark safari is an amazing experience.
Mario met us of the seaplane and made us feel at home straight away by taking us to our villa by golf buggie, Where he explained where everything was.
The golf buggies are always running throughout the day to take you from one end of the island to the other, if you don't want to walk. We very rarely used the buggies, and didnt use the free push bikes, Although there was always some avaible. We enjoyed to walk round the island and take in the beauty.
Look out for a message in a bottle. I looked everyday but unfortunately didn't find one, But i spoke to others that had foud them! Great idea!
We went All Inclusive and I can't understand why anyone would go on any other board basis. There is so much choice of food and drink and is well worth it!
Great place, would go back again. We were well nd truly spoilt.

Room Tip: sunset side has better each.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMLUX, General Manager at LUX* Maldives, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
On behalf of all the islanders I would like to thank you for taking your time to post your comments on TripAdvisor!
I am very happy to see that you had a pleasant stay at LUX* Maldives! Our team indeed puts a strong emphasis on being available at all times to our guests. We always strive to provide guests with the highest standards of service and therefore precision in the operations is a key factor for all of us. I am glad to hear that we achieved our goal of providing you with great comfort and a stress free vacation!
LUX* Maldives indeed offers a wide array of meal options and activities to cater to different guests. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed them all.
I have personally shared your comments to Shan, Khan, Mario and with all the islanders. Thank you for your wonderful comments.
I hope to welcome you again at LUX* Maldives for another unforgettable experience!
With kind regards,
Dominik
PS. Next time we will help you look for the hidden bottles!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We went to the Lux on our Honeymoon the first week in November. It was beautiful, from the moment the sea plane landed we knew it was going to be a special place we were welcomed by Mario who took care of us and showed us to our room by golf cart.He was very helpful and said we cold call him anytime if we needed too on our stay.We were staying in the prestige overwater bungalows so it was a short trip from reception to the otherend of the island. The room was amazing your bed faced out to the ocean and you had a seperate room for the bathroom with bi fold doors that opened out so the bath was just about out on the deck. Everywhere you looked was ocean, even it the toliet and shower!!
We were on the all inclusive package and I would really recommend doing it this way as there are 7 restaurants to chose from buffett and then 3 beautiful Ala carte restaurants, Middle eastern, Japanese and Italian and the service in all of them was 5 star. Having the variety to choose from over 7 nights really made it all worth while. It really suprised me at how much was actually included. Lots of wine, Cocktails, all kinds of spritis and the top shelf ones! There was a great little pizza bar where we ate lunch a few times and had tiger beer on tap whilst listening to the banter of the pizza chef's whom were really funny! Also loved the secret bar that popped up now and then around the island.
Lots to do so if you like a bit more to do then just sitting by the beach then this was perfect, we went diving and saw our firsy whale shark, did a sunset cruise, windsurfing. Lots of relaxing was done too siting by the pool sipping champagne and lots of massages. A pop up cinema also appeared one friday night.
It was very peaceful and staying in the prestige bungalows were very private .
Over all I loved it and although your honeymoon is meant to be a once in a life time event, I think we may just venture back there.

Room Tip: If you are a couple book the prestige water bungalow and if you are a family book the beach vila wit...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to post your kind comments on TripAdvisor.
It is very important for us to ensure the most comfort and the best quality service to all our guests. Our Villas indeed benefit from a great location to enjoy the precious time with your love ones while enjoying the fantastic view of the Indian Ocean. Thank you for appreciating the facilities of our villa.
I am happy to know that our wide array of food and beverage exceeded your expectations and you had a blissful comfort with our All Inclusive Package.
I am happy to see that you had a great honeymoon with us and you also enjoyed your diving and your first encounter with a whale shark.

I have shared your kind comments with Mario and all the islanders. Looking forward to welcoming you at
LUX* Maldives again, maybe for your forts anniversary…

With kind regards,
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

If, like me, you are looking for a family-friendly resort in the Maldives that offers an amazing and relaxing experience for everyone in your party, then look no further.

We (me, hubby and a 3-yr-old daughter) have just returned from a 10-day experience at Lux and it was truly wonderful in every sense. The service is impeccable - from the reception at the Lux waiting room at the airport, the seaplane transfer to the reception on the island (daughter fell in love with front desk staff).

Lux offers quite a variety in terms of dining - Buffets, Japanese, Italian, Medittereanean, Indian - so we were never bored with the cuisine. The variety on the childrens' menu is really good and there are even specialist meals for 0 - 24 months old on the menu. The staff at the restaurants are amazing and were willing on several occasions to go the extra mile to accommodate my daughter's whims, especially Jamiz, Afzal, and Shakira, who made sure our table was always ready (complete with kids' cutlery set) just before we arrived.

The one comment I would make is that sometimes the service did not quite stack up to what you would expect from a 5 star resort for example, after 10 days at the resort, my husband was still instructing the staff on how to make a basic pot of tea with a tea bag and boiling water. The funny thing was the coffee was perfect but the tea was almost always hit and miss! Or that the complementary bread basket offered during dinner at the Italian restaurant had evidently been prepared sometime earlier in the evening and allowed to sit absorb the tropical climate and humidity (so bread-sticks that should have been crispy were soft and bread that should have been soft and fresh was dry and stale) - oh dear! Now this may sound picky but these are the finer details that should not be overlooked at a 5 star resort.

The resort offers two swimming pools. We hung out (as most families with young kids) around the Veli Pool which is centrally located in the island and offers a shallower pool. The other advantage is that it is quite close to the kids' club where our daughter spent some fun-filled afternoons. Again, the service at Veli Pool Bar is impeccable. After a few days at the pool, Khan (our waiter) was correctly anticipating our drinks/food order before we even asked! Now that is service!!

I must mention the kids' club which was the main selling point for me choosing this resort, personally. Tima and Aisha at the club are superb. Our daughter came back daily from the club having participated in fun activities including henna tattooing, crab hunting, banana boat ride, face-painting etc. There was never a boring moment. Even when it rained, the children watched movies in the "movie room" at the club, and drew and painted. As testament to the club's success, our girl asked to go there everyday!

On the whole, this resort satisfied on every level, however, there are a few points to mention which are noteworthy:

1. This resort is long and narrow. Distance from the easternmost point to the westernmost point is circa 2km. This is a long walk especially in the tropical heat. There is a buggy service for the islanders but sometimes it could be 10 - 15 minutes for one to turn up. There are free bicycles offered by the resort but the one I tried to ride on my first occasion was a bit knackered so I opted to walk instead. They are also few and far between. You can rent a bike to use for the duration of your stay at 4 USD a day. Personally, I feel these bikes should all be offered as complementary and guests should not have to pay any extra to get around the island.

2. We stayed in a beach pavilion villa which has an outdoor bathroom - I thought that was a great idea - and in some ways it is - until the fumigation starts. Fumigation of the island is done on a daily basis around 5pm - 6pm Maldivian time. There were several occasions that we were caught out having a shower after spending all day in the pool/lagoon in readiness for dinner and the fumigation began to kill the mosquitoes. I would summarize by saying one's bathroom experience at that point, gets quite chokey! It's also quite hot and inconvenient in that you don't want to break a sweat when brushing your teeth or slapping on some lotion...

3. The resort lacks a nearby reef and so guests are taken on a daily boat ride to the 'house reef' for snorkeling. You have to book this in advance, and it is therefore quite limiting. And if I am being honest, we were very disappointed on the number and variety of sub-aquatic life compared with what we have seen at other resorts we have stayed in the Maldives. We actually saw more fish/sharks/sting rays etc in and around the immediate environs of the resort (from the piers and jetties) than at the house reef itself. Having stayed in other resorts in the Maldives which have reefs within swimming distance, this is a bit of a disappointment. This is worth bearing in mind if you are going there for the snorkelling as a first priority.

Having said that, overall Dominik and his team at Lux are doing a wonderful job and my family and I are very grateful to you for making our experience at Lux memorable!

Thanks guys!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your kind feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am very pleased to know that your experience at LUX* Maldives surpassed your expectations. I have also noted your constructive feedbacks. Thank you for sharing this feedback since it will help us make the necessary improvements and we have held training sessions to ensure we can provide not only great coffee, but also a great cup of tee!
LUX* Maldives is indeed one of the biggest resort in the Maldives and, also, one of the most family friendly resorts in the area. The wide array of meal options and activities definitely set us aside from other resorts. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your island life with us. However, it also gives us room to cater to different types of guests. In order to ensure that couples get the privacy and comfort they come looking for, we do our best to keep families and couples on different parts of the island.
I am also very happy to see that your daughter enjoyed her stay on the island. I would like to thank you for sharing your daughter’s experience and activities at our Kid’s Club with other families that may want to visit the Maldives.
Due to the tropical environment Mosquitoes are a real issue for all islands. Due to this we decided it is better to spray the island once in a while (usually every second day, depending on the weather) so as to ensure a mosquito-free environment.
I am surprised that you had no luck in seeing a great fish variety on our nearby house reef. Even turtles and rays are commonly seen in addition to the many colorful reef fish. And of course with some luck the Manta Rays and whale sharks come to our reefs, which is an incredible experience.
I would also like to thank you for believing in us and for seeing the friendliness and efficiency of the islanders. Your comments help us to keep our team motivated.
On behalf of all the islanders, I hope to welcome you back on the island in the near future!
With best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have visited this resort for the first time and it was the worst what we have experienced at Maldives.
As everywhere stuff is very polite, but this doesn't solve the completely wrong concept of the resort. As I understand resort was rebranded a year ago.

Island is too big and you need to use all the time bike or shuttle to get from one to another place. It also has to many villas/rooms.
Villa was nice as elsewhere and here no remarks.
Funny thing is that a la cart dining is cheaper than buffet dining and it is all the time overbooked, so you end up in expensive and bad buffet dining.
Also conceptually wrong is that half of island offers all-inclusive services and half payable.
House reef is accessible only by boat, so that means you have to look at your watch all the time and forget snorkeling if bad weather.
Planes are coming few times a day and bringing groups of tourists (those who come for few days after Sri Lanka).

Sorry guys. Please write clearly on the website, that this is not LUXury resort and not for honeymooners, but an average Maldivian resort. I have been in cheaper ones and more expensive and they all had much better concept. Luxury means not too many people.

I believe all those reviewers, who gave 5 rating to your resort, have never before been to Maldives.

I would suggest that you decide what kind of resort do you want to have and first split the island on two resorts. Good luck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMLUX, General Manager at LUX* Maldives, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always try to explain very clearly what our island is offering so as to avoid any wrong expectations.
While many of our guests are indeed honeymooners, we also welcome families, diving enthusiasts and groups of friends.
We are indeed one of the largest resorts in the country, which allows us to offer a great variety of activities and dining options. In an effort to give various choices of transportation we provide regular buggy shuttles as well as bicycles for our guests, although many of them enjoy the walks through the shaded pathways.
We are also proud to offer the choice between All Inclusive as well as other meal plans so as to provide the preferred choice to our guests. Within the All Inclusive offer our guests have the choice to dine in all 7 restaurants and select from a wide list of beverages and cocktails (currently we have 49 different wines in our All Inclusive list).
While we have snorkeling available within our lagoon, the best reefs are just a short boat ride away and we offer guided trips complimentary to our guests. And of course the highlight in this region is the chance to see the whaleshark on our outer reef, which I hope you had a chance to experience.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the polite staff and the service of them.

Thank you again for having taken the time to share your thoughts so as to help others in their choice.

With best wishes,

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had the most wonderful, memorable, holiday at Lux*.
From the time we landed at Maine to the time we left we were looked after like royalty.
My husband went scuba diving some mornings and afternoons, he saw manta rays, turtles, Whale shark and much more. It was a very good dive school and they did their best to accommodate everyone.
My advise would be don't pre-book your dives in case you are ill or don't feel like it one day, there are no refunds.
Food is excellent where ever you choose to eat we had amazing food every night after our array of cocktails.
Breakfasts are amazing with 2 restaurants to choose from and the choice is endless.
Lunch again a vast choice of restaurants and bars to choose from.
My advise is to go full board because the food can get very expensive as everything has to be imported, you can eat and drink anywhere with no restrictions
We did not have very good weather when we were there at the beginning of November but it really didn't matter. It was hot, cloudy and wet.
We enjoyed the little touches like being able to call home, endless coffee with biscuits or cakes served in the lobby area, lifts given to all guests going to and fro in the golf buggies.
The accommodation is superb,we had a beach pavillion room. There was an outside shower, inside shower, bath, double wash hand basin, we should have been clean after all that.
We had our own patio area and garden then the beach.
We enjoyed every minute we were there.
There were families, older couples and honeymooners. So a good mixture.

Room Tip: Be careful if you have a room on stilts because you could be very far away.
seaseaseasiders
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our first time in the Maldives and it really is a beautiful place,white sands,turquoise blue sea and coconut trees.

Lux is on a small island,a short sea plane trip from the capital Male.Greeted on arrival by the ever present General Manager,Dominik,which was a nice start to the hols. We arrived mid morning and were taken straight to our beach villa which was great and just a few meters from the sea,nice room,simple but well appointed,clean and a semi outdoor bathroom that we really liked.
The design of the complex has been well thought through with bars and restaurants in the middle and both ends. We took the all inclusive option (not cheap) and felt this was a good move not having to worry about the price of drinks,meals etc throughout the week. The all inc includes a large selection of wines,beers,all cocktails and spirits/liqueurs so very good,it also covered pretty much everything in all restaurants as well. Food was average for the price and a five star,limited menus,sometimes Luke warm food and okish quality.

Service was very good,all staff are pleasant and friendly and there were always enough of them to assist.

In summary,positives,manager and staff,special mention to Khan (Chakka) in the veli bar and Hussein,room valet, choice of drinks on all inclusive,rooms,place all over is immaculatey clean,free calls home from the red phone box and a late checkout.

Negatives,long wait (2 hours) for sea plane and similar on return,quality of food and choice,cost of watersports. Also beware of taxes and service costs that are added after shopping,fishing,spa,etc at checkout time.

All in all a nice place and pretty good value,best for honeymooners and loved up couples,if not go with friends like we did to keep,amused..

Room Tip: Beach pavilion rooms are perfect,get one close to reception,this will be central to the whole island...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Should have written this review ages ago, just haven't had the chance! My family & I had an amazing holiday at the Lux in Aug/Sept this year & have since recommended this resort to many!
We thoroughly enjoyed the house snorkelling, saw so many different types of fish & even had an enormous sting ray swim right past us when we were in the sea. The white sands & crystal clear waters are stunning-the beaches & island are constantly being kept clean & tidy.
The food was excellent & so much choice-would definitely recommend taking the all inclusive package as great value for money.
We found all the staff really polite & helpful. I particularly wanted to mention Mirna who made our holiday so special-she had such a bubbly & refreshing personality, I felt she was an old friend by the time we left.
Thank you again-your reviews & website are everything they promised they would be-we'll be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to LUX* Maldives? Share your experiences!