“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |     |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Fesdhoo Island
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

we spend 5 days 4 nights at W Maldives and lets just say we can't wait to go back there.

there's mini ice cream/towel/water station along the island and just little things make the trip so much nicer.

Friendly staff especially at the water sport centre. We love the transparent kayak. Is definitely something we have enjoyed very much.

great breakfast and great food. Slightly expensive but at least you get what you pay for.

I will definitely go back there and recommend my friends.

• Stayed July 2012
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments, it is great to know that you're planning to visit again...

Let us know!

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

That was our first impression from the moment my husband and I saw the W Resort Maldives from the seaplane....WOW.... and that’s not all, the moment you land you are greeted by 10 or more department heads, all lined up waving. You really feel like a rock star:) Love those little touches. You are then immediately served drinks and taken, via golf cart on a guided tour of the hotel.

The Resort is one of the best we have stayed anywhere in the world. It was just as much to do with the staff as with the exotic location. An absolutely beautiful place. We stayed 8 nights at an ocean view room where you could see the sunrise and sunset. WOW what a view. Direct access to the reef for snorkeling and a wonderful infinity plunge pool. The room was immaculately spotless, thank you to Muhammad (our W stylist) who not only kept the room clean but also tidied up- more like a butler than a room cleaner. He even went to the trouble of memorizing our breakfast and dinner patterns so the room was always prepared upon our return. This type of service was evident with many staff, who went out of their way to look after us.

We met a lot of lovely staff that made our experience memorable...Starting with Niru who picked us up at the airport and provided personal assistance with seating and customs on our departure. Ku, W Insider and Energy Manager, who made sure we had everything we could wish for throughout our stay, Shaijeev Chef from 'Kitchen', who will make you anything you want. Waiters and waitresses, Liru, Sanah, Mariam and Vicky who where just a pure delight. Thank you, already missing you.

It is very hard to fault this place.........The three restaurants are fantastic. Fine dining at Fish, buffet at Fire and a variety of selections at Kitchen. If you want a Maldivian dish, just ask the chef.
Whatever....Whenever, love it.

Shukuriyaa (Maldivian for thank you) to all:)

Room Tip: If you want shallow reef snorkeling, go for the lagoon view room or if you want privacy with snorkel...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Shukuriyaa… Thank you for such a WOW review. We appreciate your comments and are glad to read that you had such a fabulous experience at W Maldives.

I will share your comments with the team – thank you and see you again.

Cheers,
Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I along with another couple visited the W maldives a few weeks ago (early may). When I show my photos of this holiday everyone things they are from a magazine! The place is paradise. Apparently the hotel was at full capacity yet we never felt it actually breakfast was really the only time we'd see some guests. We stayed in the beach bungalow as well as the sea escape water bungalows and I have to say the beach bungalow was my favourite. More room lovely private beach area open air bathroom and very close to the main hotel. But I would advise staying at least 1 night in a water bungalow for the experience. Jennifer the hotel manager was superb. We had a few issues which were quickly resolved and she was always so attentive to our needs. The resident DJ was also great and seemed to know a lot about music from around the world and did keep us entertained. The weather wasn't 100 percent perfect but didn't stop out enjoyment in fact we quite enjoyed swimming in lovely warm rain. Being quite fussy eaters Sanjeev head chef in Kitchen restaurant would create dishes off the menu for us which were devoured! All restaurants had excellent menu choices and we were never bored. Overall an amazing trip and will definitely try and visit another W resort again.

• Stayed May 2013
“You know your somewhere special when the only footprints in the sand are your own” – amazing.

Thank you for staying with us and it will be our pleasure to welcome you again to W Maldives and other W Hotels around the world.

Nice meeting you,
Temple Terrace, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent 5 glorious days here at the W Retreat on Fesdu Island in the Maldives, and can't tell you know amazing it was! Our only regret is not being able to stay longer due to a fiasco brought on by SriLankan Airlines; however, the folks at the W handled all of our concerns with professionalism and promptness. This type of service from great people like Ku Nakanelua, Ann Kashima, and Nirumal Mohamed really show that this resort surpasses 5 stars, and is in an elite level of their own!

We were warmly greeted by Nirumal at the airport after our severely delayed arrival, helping us with our luggage and providing updates with our accommodation for the evening, as we missed the last Maldivian Air Taxi by several hours. The next morning, Niru was back again waiting for us at the airport with a smile, and well wishes as we were finally on our way to Fesdu Island - home of the W Retreat!

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by Ku, Ann, and the rest of the W staff. The relaxed attitude (a very 'hip' vibe you'll feel at almost all W Resorts) was warmly welcomed after our ordeal with SriLankan. Service, in a sense, is like White Glove - but without the gloves. The professionalism of all of the staff was amazing, as was how well the resort was run. We've been to many resorts where things may run on "Island Time" or there are a few glitches here and there - and absolutely nothing of the sort was experienced during our time at the W.

We were whisked away to our retreat for the week, Retreat 123. Retreat 123 is across from a sweet spot station - constantly stocked with ice cream, sodas, water, iced coffee, suntan lotion, and towels. The restaurants were only a 2 minute walk away, and reception was less than 5 minutes. We had a Beach Retreat, and the beach outside of our retreat was simply amazing. It truly felt like we were the only guests, and we always felt like we had a great deal of privacy the whole time.

The Retreat - in a word - AMAZING! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, and the full size bottles of Bliss products in our outdoor shower/tub/sink area were amazing. At night, candles in the bathroom made our nighttime bath soak an ethereal experience.

The Kitchen, Fire, Wet, and Sip were phenomenal. We ate at Fire every night, and this grand buffet of never before seen proportions made me cry the first night from sheer awesomeness. The Kitchen provided a great buffet breakfast every morning, and even handled special requests with ease and a can-do attitude. Wet provided an excellent pool bar experience, and Sip made us speechless with amazing sunset views daily.

My partner and I originally thought this to be a trip of a lifetime as we were going back to the USA for work and no longer working in India; however, we're already planning our next visit back, although the journey from the US (versus India) is quite a lengthy one. We both agree that something this phenomenal is worth doing more than once, and was worth every penny we spent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review about your W experience in the Maldives, we are glad to read that we lived up to your expectations!
I have shared your review with all our Talent, especiallu Ku, Ann and Nirumal, thanks.

We are waiting for your return!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We spent a week at W Maldives as a couple in Dec 2013. The Ocean Villa was a wonderful experience, with the ability to snorkel off the reef. Ku Nakanelua, the W Insider, made a real difference in the trip with her personalised service and knowledge. Ku also sent us a hello email months after we left the resort. Thanks to Ku, we still enjoy living next to the W Hotel in Singapore. There was some issues with service from the front desk, but Ku sorted it out. Service recovery does matter.

It's a small island, you can walk around it in less than 10 mins. If you like being alone as a couple, water sports, and just chillling out than this is the place for you. If you need lots of activity and people, more than 3 restaurants, than you may have to find a larger island or a much larger resort. Overall, we enjoyed the trip and would come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for heading to the Maldives and choosing W Maldives for your holiday…
I am thrilled to read that Ku made you feel so special, I will pass on the message to her.

Hope to see you soon, and in the mean time enjoy W Singapore.

Jennifer,
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed W retreat & Spa resort with our HONEYMOON at last November.
The atmosphere and room were trendy, but no more than the photo and our expectation

Food.. were really good. Especially Fire.. BBQ was really great !! probably the best I have tasted ever.

Housereef snorkeling.. was amazing. There were so many beautiful corals and fishes.
Recommend the spot around AWAY SPA.

However, if U are a diver, I strolonly recommend NOT to try diving in this resort.
I had a open water license and my husband didn't.
So he decieded to participate PADI open-water course there.
Dissapointly, the instructor from England (may be his name was Yan?) was a very hostile and unkind person. He continuously treat us with very stubborn and rude manner.
We went to boat-dive because I wanted even more amazing experience than house-reef.
But he brought us the spot just 5 minutes away from the resort and there were no difference with snorkeling at the house-reef.
As a result, boat-diving in Maldives were far poor than those in Austrailia to me, though I spend more than twice money including boat-fee.
My husband was so exuasted and he gave up completing Open water course and the instructor recommended us to change half-course. But we still did not recieve any license card or e-mail from PADI.

If the MANAGER see this article, PLZ LET ME KNOW THE E-MAIL ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER OF YOUR DIVE-SHOP.
ALSO, U NEED TO SUPPLEMENT YOUR DIVE-SHOP.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for choosing W Maldives as your Honeymoon getaway. We are glad that you enjoyed your Retreat and be sure that we will pass your comments to our Chef at FIRE restaurant.

It is disappointing to read that our Diving Center did not live up to your expectations, and I sincerely apologize.

You can contact our Director of Operation at our Diving Center at the below email address, Cristina will assist you.
Downunder, Cristina <cristina.downunder@whotels.com>

We all look forward to welcoming you again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Had a great time at W Maldives!

A special Thank you to Ms Ku Nakanelua for making us feel so special!

The resort was beautiful and the views breathtaking!

True to W, the atmosphere was casual yet luxurious with futuristic themes.

I had arranged an impromptu vacation and my regret is the short duration.

The Good:
1) The beauty of the resort
2) Excellent service and staff
3) Sweet Spots (drinks and ice-cream!)
4) Relative lack of insects
5) No screaming/running children

Ms Ku Nakanelua took very good care of us and was very approachable! I am so glad we managed to take a picture together!

I met the GM one night while she was exercising and we had a quick chat before she told me she was the GM.
I had indeed met her when I arrived but she was so totally cool such that I did not recognize her in her sports outfit and thought she was one of the guests!
Truly embarrassing but in a fun way!
If only I had taken a picture with her too!

The Bad:
1) Lack of restaurants. Only 3 (Fish, Fire and Kitchen) and not always open.
2) Small and seems relatively more crowded. Relatively.

I had a particularly bad dinner at Fire the night before leaving and threw up during the meal.
I became unwell during my flight as well and was utterly miserable.

However, the time I spent at the resort remains a great memory.

Thank you again to the staff at W Maldives and a special thank you again to Ms Ku and Ms Jennifer for the excellent vacation!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hi Fred,

I am thrilled to read that you had such a fabulous stay at W Maldives. It was a pleasure to talk with you as well, thank you for your comments. I will make sure to share your review with Ku.

I am sorry to read about your experience at Fire, I hope you you're well now.

See you again!
Jennifer

Been to W Retreat & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!