“Maldives stay - 7 nights May” 2 of 5 stars

W Retreat & Spa Maldives
5.0 of 5 Resort   |     |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Fesdhoo Island
London, England, United Kingdom
“Maldives stay - 7 nights May”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this resort for our wedding anniversary. Having spent our honeymoon at the St Regis Bora Bora we had high hopes and expectations of the W @ Maldives.
firstly, Maldives as a whole has a huge commercial drive which is frankly quite annoying as you are confronted with this from the get go. Being someone who likes to get acquainted and accustomed to my surroundings first I find this quite unnerving. This starts at the W reception at the Maldives airport.
Half of our day was spent waiting at this reception as the transport to the resort is done via cost effective sea plane. In our experience this took an hour to arrive. Not a great start to a 5* deluxe and priced resort.
We stayed in a beach room as we had already experienced a premium overwater room at Bora Bora so we wanted a change.
The rooms are very outdated and small. The bathroom is lovely but at 5:30pm everyday you are chocked by the mosquito prevention spray. There is no protection from this.
We were also shocked by the cleanliness of rooms, no effort is made to sweep the floors or to thoroughly clean the rooms. Also our sofa in the outside garden area was filthy and only cleaned when we complained. I got a rash on my back on the 4th day and got the doctor to come to check me out. She said it probably came from the pool in the room as we had rain showers during the night over the last few days - why wasn't it cleaned. She gave me some cream and wanted $10, I told her to put it on the room and it never showed on the final bill.
The people/staff at the hotel are very nice, I was impressed by Steve the GM and the local Maldivian staff, who work really hard and are attentive. The problem with this resort is the skill and creativeness of the staff, there isn't any. There is no touch in elaborating the Whatever Whenever brand and executing this, I simply just didn't get it. The hotel service, creativeness, features and food options are very limited and tired.
The resort is nice but lacks style and youth, it did not live up to our expectation at all and this was sad for us as we wanted this place to be our yearly get away as Bora Bora is very far for us to travel.
In short for the price this did not live up to the hype of the W brand.

Room Tip: If you decide to go here then stay in a water villa as the beach rooms are tired and not well mainta...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing W Maldives for your wedding anniversary. It is disappointing to read that we did not live up to your expectations on this so special occasion.

As you realized, the transportation in the Maldives could be hectic sometimes as Maldives is such a unique destination with very particular transfer options available (ie seaplane or speedboat only).

I am concerned regarding your comments about your room cleanliness as the rooms are serviced twice daily, I will share your comments with our manager in charge, thank you for highlighting this.

I look forward to welcoming you again at W Maldives and many of our other W and St Regis hotels and resorts around the globe.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Halifax,Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We recently spent a few days at the W as part of my 50 th birthday trip.
Our stay was in mid May.I caution anybody wishing to visit during early Monsoon season.The weather may not cooperate and may affect your total enjoyment of the property esp if it affects your seaplane transfers.This almost happened to us and would have been disastrous.
I would visit between end of October and end April to maximize the resorts potential.That way you can enjoy al fresco dining,starry nights and the best conditions for snorkelling.
If you plan on going to such an isolated expensive resort why not maximize your enjoyment.
Overall the resort and staff were fantastic.Amazing that such a beautiful resort can be built in the middle of the ocean on such a small space.We stayed in an over water bungalow and beach house.I loved them both.Great views,decor,open air spaces.It was like staying in paradise.Lots of privacy and well serviced.
The team at the resort worked hard to make sure we were enjoying ourselves always greeting us with a smile.
When we arrived and departed from the jetty there were several staff members present to greet and wave hello/ good bye .Gave us a warm feeling we were amongst friends.
Enjoyed the 15 below bar.Great staff and cool surroundings.
Loved the dinner at Fire.Lots of great food.Too bad we couldn't try everything as it looked amazing.Again staff here was generous esp the chefs.
Fish restaurant was beautiful.Too bad the inclement weather prevented us from eating on the wharf beneath the stars.Instead we ate behind protective plastic.
The food at Fish was overall ok.Our fish entrees were on the over cooked side and the indoors a bit on the warm side.
Kitchen restaurant is where we had wonderful morning breakfasts.Large selection of food daily.
Also had a dinner here which was Asian based and very good.
We had one major issue while at the resort
The matter was handled and resolved quickly but still left a bit of negative/ bitter feeling on my part.
As mentioned on previous review by my travel partner,we encountered a few electrical problems with our first suite.
At first some of the lights weren't working then ALL the lights stopped working.The electrician was quickly sent to repair the lights.It appeared he did until 3 am we were awoken by ALL the lights in the suite flickering on and off as if the spirit of previous guests were paying us a visit.
Needless to say this greatly affected our sleep quality the rest of the night.
Even though the faulty fuse box was replaced the next day we did not receive a sincere apology by any staff member including the manager.We spent a lot of money on food and alcohol.Perhaps a complimentary bottle of cheap wine or even a beer would have been a nice,classy gesture.
For $1600 a night one would expect a good nights sleep and if not then some kind gesture of compensation.
Apart from the above disappointing episode the resort still shines.The staff try very hard to please and a big thank you to Steve for trying to talk to us nightly to make sure we were ok.Also a thank you to our " Hawaiian" friend in the business center who made me feel better when I was worried about my flights the next day.
I def would recommend this place in dry season otherwise maybe in wet season stay closer to Male.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Sorry to read that you were unlucky with the weather during your stay.

We look forward to your next visit at another time of the year.

Thanks again,
Capetown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

For many years I have been wanting to go to the Maldives and wow I was in heaven when my favorite hotel W opened up there... wanting to make this a very special occasion, I planned my birthday at the resort. Couldn't have chosen better... from Ku, the W Insider, the million details, the smiles from the wonderful staff, the beauty of the island and corals, wow, I cannot wait to book again!! The villas are simply breathtaking, and actually, we preferred the beach oasis, because you have so much more space and tropical palm trees in your 'garden' and hanging over your pool, plus the beach is 5 meters further, where all fishes are waiting!!

Anyone can contact me with questions regarding the W Maldives; I can only speak highly of this WOW place!! And if you read this and still do visit, wow, I wish I was you!!!

Room Tip: Beach Oasis - 120 - 128 and Ocean, try to have a view of their private hideaway island not close to...
Hi Peter,

Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us; It is great to read that your stay at W Maldives lived up to your expectations.

We also look forward to your return!

Regards,
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I had 5 nights, wooow... But, in my opinion 4 nights is more then enough.
Many great reviews, i agree,
Few bad reviews, i did not encounter semilar, they improved
It is a dream relaxation place, ROMANTIC
Only go if you have the budget, get a sea banglo , away from every body including insects, it is a super clean resort.
Get your sun screen
Watch out, 10% service charge is placed on every thing you get their including the room rate , food etc..
Almost 8% taxation, so total of 18% extra on the best rate and total spending you get.
Their free breakfast is phenomenal, worth the package, particularly the freuit corner, do not miss that, never seen semilar any place, fresh juices infront of you... Veraity to every body
You need extra 100$ per person in average per day for snaks and dinner.
Fire restaurant for meat lovers.. Fill up your craving ... Almost 130$ per person, meat and fish and others... Woow
Fish restaurant, nice, tasting menu.
Kitchen for all nice things, i love their burger
Great spa, and other sea activities
Free water and icecreams, cola.. , nespresso machine.. Lots of shots .. Yes yes
Wet bar has hably bubly ... Yes yes yes.
I will come back , when i get the budget again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing W for your escape to the Maldives; great to read that you ejoyed your stay so much!

See you again,
Denpasar, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Gasped on the seaplane when we are about to arrive in the resort from Male. The hotel looks fantastic, clear turquoise water surround the resort, and we were greeted and welcomed with more than 10 members of W insiders on the peer, which was making it very homy.

We were then given tour around the island, which most of the areas are fantastic, and transfered to our above water villa straight away. The aircond of the villa was very good, really helps a lot since outside is a bit very hot due to clear sky. The room was very spacious and funky, has a big patio and stairs to the water from you balcony, which was an experience.

The setting was heavenly, you can see the fish everywhere, and the coral was great too. Had a good snorkeling time on the reef of the island, which was not too far from the main island.

There are free nibbles in many common areas, so we stuffed ourselves with lots of ice cream and soda water which helped quench our thirst.

Service was first class, and many greeted us personally day after day since we stayed 4 days at the resort.

THe only downside was, we need to pay an extra USD 20 for utensil that we need to borrow from the kitchen. Yes, we brought some little food from our country and wanting to eat it, and need to borrow some bowl with fork and spoon. Imagining already paying 1000+ dollar / night, why they would still need to charge this little thing?

Also learn the billing instruction before you fish (if you like it) since the total bill was skyrocketing should the fish you catches would being cooked in their kitchen. Luckily we only catch one fish, imagine if we catch 6 fished, we may not have dinner for the following days due to the cooking charges.

Other than that, it was all Heaven experience, so sad to leave the resort as it is just too good to exist in the world.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Greetings from heaven on earth...

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at W Maldives; it is great to read that you had such a fantastic W experience.

We appreciate your feedback and noted your comments.

See you again,

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I usually do not write reviews before I leave a resort but I have to say that the W Maldives did not live up to my expectations for 1 important reason for me. The purpose of this trip was to celebrate my friends 50th birthday. I communicated this to the hotel before arriving. When we flew into Malé, the representative asked what night we would like to celebrate the birthday and I told them. I was extremely disappointed that there was nothing done to celebrate the event. One would at least expect a happy birthday from the staff. In addition to this issue, our room (218) suffered a loss of power. When they fixed it we were still left with a bathroom without lights. Overnight, the room lights started going off and on and wake us up. We had to cover our heads to sleep. I was astounded that management did not acknowledge this! At over $2000 per night, I would expect much more. Although the resort was beautiful and the rooms pleasing, the lack of management concern was disturbing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
It is disappointing to read that we did not live up to your expectations on this so special occasion. Unfortunately there were a miscommunication regarding your friend’s birthday and I am very sorry that we missed out on that.

From our records, the lighting in your retreat was solved the next morning and I believe that our Director of Operations met you at several occasion to apologize for this technical issue.

We all look forward to welcoming you again for another kind of W experience.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Arrival: We arrived to Male airport and were immediately met by a W rep that was waiting for us right outside the gate. She expedited us through the long queue at the airport and we were in the W lounge within minutes. The lounge was quite comfortable! The seaplane ride was fantastic. We arrived at the W hotel after a short trip on the seaplane and there was a bunch of staff waiting to greet us upon arrival. My girlfriend and I were immediately greeted with champagne by W insider Ku and given a fantastic tour of the property. The entire staff at the W is great.

Room: We opted for the beach oasis and were very satisfied. The room is incredibly spacious and conveniently located next to the nicest house reef (room #123). Everything from the outdoor speakers, the rain shower, and the beach access made our rooming experience fantastic. The other couple in my party had the ocean oasis which was also really nice but a longer walk to the restaurants and the beach. The staff that tended to our room was on point with everything, we were very impressed.

Restaurants: The breakfast buffet at Kitchen restaurant was absolutely amazing. There was a great variety of foods, juices, and snacks that changed daily. Kitchen also had a great lunch/dinner menu. It was great because you can order off the Kitchen menu while at the pool also. They will make you anything you want! I asked for chicken parmesan, the chef had no idea what it was so I showed him a photo. Next thing you know I have some of the best chicken parmesan I’ve ever had. There are two other restaurants open for dinner, Fire and Fish. Fire was decent but Fish was absolutely amazing. The highlight dinner for us at Fish was the six-course lobster menu which was incredible. Definitely try the traditional Maldivian lunch, it was very memorable.

We also did deep sea fishing. We unfortunately did not catch anything but the boat experience was fun. We went snorkeling everyday and saw sharks, rays, and turtles. Everyday was amazing and this resort is highly recommended. If you’re considering a different resort in the Maldives please take my advice and book the W. You will not regret it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferWMaldives, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi Zach, thank your for choosing W for your holiday in the Maldives; I am thrilled to read that your stay was so fantastic.

Should your travels bring you to the Maldives again, let us know...

Jennifer

Been to W Retreat & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!