My wife and I stayed at this resort for our wedding anniversary. Having spent our honeymoon at the St Regis Bora Bora we had high hopes and expectations of the W @ Maldives.
firstly, Maldives as a whole has a huge commercial drive which is frankly quite annoying as you are confronted with this from the get go. Being someone who likes to get acquainted and accustomed to my surroundings first I find this quite unnerving. This starts at the W reception at the Maldives airport.
Half of our day was spent waiting at this reception as the transport to the resort is done via cost effective sea plane. In our experience this took an hour to arrive. Not a great start to a 5* deluxe and priced resort.
We stayed in a beach room as we had already experienced a premium overwater room at Bora Bora so we wanted a change.
The rooms are very outdated and small. The bathroom is lovely but at 5:30pm everyday you are chocked by the mosquito prevention spray. There is no protection from this.
We were also shocked by the cleanliness of rooms, no effort is made to sweep the floors or to thoroughly clean the rooms. Also our sofa in the outside garden area was filthy and only cleaned when we complained. I got a rash on my back on the 4th day and got the doctor to come to check me out. She said it probably came from the pool in the room as we had rain showers during the night over the last few days - why wasn't it cleaned. She gave me some cream and wanted $10, I told her to put it on the room and it never showed on the final bill.
The people/staff at the hotel are very nice, I was impressed by Steve the GM and the local Maldivian staff, who work really hard and are attentive. The problem with this resort is the skill and creativeness of the staff, there isn't any. There is no touch in elaborating the Whatever Whenever brand and executing this, I simply just didn't get it. The hotel service, creativeness, features and food options are very limited and tired.
The resort is nice but lacks style and youth, it did not live up to our expectation at all and this was sad for us as we wanted this place to be our yearly get away as Bora Bora is very far for us to travel.
In short for the price this did not live up to the hype of the W brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bi-level beachfront and over-water retreats let indoor and outdoor mingle; roofs with peek-a-boo views of the sky and glass-paneled floors that reveal lagoon fauna below. Privacy is paramount - enjoy your own plunge pool, sundeck, and beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood APAC, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Expedia, Venere and Otel so you can book your W Retreat & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat And Spa Maldives
- w Retreat & Spa Maldives Hotel North Ari Atoll
- w Retreat Hotel Maldives
- w Retreat Resort Maldives
- w Hotel Maldives