“Paradise in the Maldives” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
YUM PACKAGE
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fesdhoo Island
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Paradise in the Maldives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The W stands for whatever, whenever. And they really do live up to this mantra. You do pay, and pay a lot, but if you really want value for your indulgence then this is the place. I have been a couple of years before and it was really good, seemingly better now, and interestingly they have a new lady there to make it even better. The retreats do need a little bit of touching up...What really made the difference was the staff. Whether expats or Maldivian they were all excellent and very attentIve, jovial and fun. The nightclub was an added bonus and the DJ was great, pandering to our every whim musically. So, they you have it, really happy we went back and will go again. All this without even mentioning the great infinity pools in the retreats, the best house reef I have ever seen anywhere, easy to get around, fantastic views, private island to visit and so on...

Room Tip: The sunset facing ocean retreats are the most private retreats.
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SteveWMaldives, Director of Operations at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for returning to W Maldives, it was great to have you back. I will share your note with the team, they will be very cheerful to read your comments.

We all look forward to seeing you soon again.
Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 4 nights at this property in July. We were very keen to do some snorkelling and also wanted to be in an over water lagoon. The W did not disappoint. Our room was large, very comfortable in and out door areas and very private. We were keen to be able to snorkel straight off our deck which we did every day. The marine life / coral was amazing. We saw turtles, eels, sharks, rays and of course a huge variety of fish. We dined out, but our favourite meal was in the in room BBQ. The island is big enough to enjoy a walk, but quite as there are no children. The sweet spot was a hit every afternoon. We visited the spa twice and would recommend it as well. A perfect escape

Room Tip: We choose a villa facing the sunset. The sunrise face the lagoon
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SteveWMaldives, Director of Operations at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello and thanks for choosing W Maldives for your vacation to the Maldives – I am happy to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and your snorkeling excursions straight from your Ocean Oasis Retreat.

See you soon again at W Maldives and our other stunning W properties around the world.

Steve
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked the hotel via Atoll Paradise and they give me amazing consults so I booked here at W and everything is fabulously amazing. Perfect place for honeymooner... They have their own lounge and their staff comes to greet us from the airport till send us back home. Everything is beyond 5 stars. The spa place is also amazing, feel very sexy doing it. i also have the best time snorkeling. it is so beautiful down there.

Room Tip: i stayed at Ocean lagoon view, it is as beautiful as the other side. everything is the same but only...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LaurensWMaldives, Hotel Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
It's great to read that you had such a great stay at W Maldives and enjoyed our W Lounge at the seaplane airport terminal - we agree, it's a great way to start your W holiday experience.

With the new W Bangkok opening later this year, you will be able to live the W lifestyle a little closer to home.

St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel is for sure one of the best (if not the best) from what we have seen around the world so far. From the first moment when they meet you at the airport and accompany to the lounge, to the check in, when the whole team of staff of the W is coming to greet you, you understand that you arrived to the paradise!

Rooms can not even be called "rooms', they are more like separate houses of about 80 square meters size (standard retreats), equipped with your own swimming pool, terrace, lounge and of course huge bedroom.

Food is nice, breakfast is just perfect! There is even a night cub under the ocean which you may enjoy after a nice day on the beach and after snorkeling.

Beach and Spa are also exceptional.

Highly recommend to go to everyone, and definitely will come again myself

Room Tip: I prefer basic category and not the upgraded one, as than you enjoy your own piece of beach as well
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
LaurensWMaldives, Hotel Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
WOW! That's a big claim .. thank you. I'm delighted to read that you had such a memorable W Hotels experience - I know our team will be as equally thrilled to read your comments.

Our Beach Oasis Retreats are 188 square meters whilst the Ocean Oasis & Ocean Oasis Lagoon Retreats are 146 square meters. All are complete with swimming pools whilst the Beach Oasis Retreats feature an outdoor bathroom.

We trust that you are able to stay connected to W Hotels and visit the amazing W St Petersburg in your own city.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments and experience - we look forward forward to welcoming you back to W Maldives again in the very near future.
Notting Hill, London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

After reading reviews on tripadvisor and a recent stay at the W hotel in Bali, I had mixed feelings about staying here. I expected the resort to be big, impersonal with a slightly corporate feeling to it.

We stayed for a week in October and were very surprised that it was actually the opposite. The resort is very personal, staff are very friendly, remember your name and your room number and always come up to you during lunch - and dinnertime for a quick chat.

The whatever whenever concept really works here. Whatever you want you will get it. You want to eat at the beach, they'll set up a table on the beach for you. You feel like a steak, the chef will prepare it for you even if it isn't on the menu, that's just a few examples of their excellent service orientation.

We got exactly the villa we requested after reading a few tripadvisor reviews. It was beach villa 20 and it was absolutely perfect! Huge, clean with a very comfy bed, a pool deck, an upstairs deck and a beautiful stretch of beach. I read a few negative reviews on tripadvisor and I think your experience of the hotel really depends on the villa you get. If your villa is too close to the arrival jetty, you will hear the seaplane landing a few times a day (we didn't hear it at all). If your villa is too close to the generator (near the dive centre) you will smell petrol (we didn't smell it at all) If your villa is too close to the restaurant or the jetty, you will hear music at all times (we didn't hear it at all), if your villa is one of the lagoon water villas, you will have people snorkelling past you and will have less privacy than we had. The Water villas are closer together than the beach vilas, so a beach villa will give you more privacy. During the rainy season the beach villa also has the advantage of having the upstairs sheltered deck, where you can lounge comfortably outside during the rain and still have a beautiful view of the sea.

The reef was fantastic and we saw turtles and reef sharks and feather tailed rays just 10 or 20 meters from our villa. The reef and its corals are surprisingly in very good shape and have an abundance of various types of fish. It's worth doing the snorkelling trips by boat that are offered by the dive centre.

The island is quite small and gives you a real feel of the maldives. It feels secluded and luxerious. We also stayed at the six senses laamu, which is much bigger and I would say for a real maldivean feel I would prefer W maldives. The service at the W is also much better and more personal.

Restaurants are all quite good. Fire offers a buffet style dinner in the sand around a fire place, where you select your cuts of meat and fish cooked to your liking (grilled, tandoori, stir fry). Fish is set over the ocean, where you can often see reef sharks swimming underneath and it offers japanese and seafood dishes. Kitchen is open for lunch and dinner and offers an international a la carte menu. If you only had a couple of nights I would recommend Fire or Fish over Kitchen. There are complimentary sweet stations all around the island, where you can help yourself to ice creams and refreshments. The is also a nespresso machine in the rooms, which comesin handy.

A big plus is the no kids policy, and guests were mainly couples. I would say approx 75 % asians and 25 % europeans.

Even though it is a small island we never got bored within our 7 night stay as there is lots to do.

Stayed October 2012
LaurensWMaldives, Hotel Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hello and thanks for sharing your W Hotels experience here on Trip Advisor.
It's great to read that you had such a memorable time.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ballito, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the W during 2011 and we had the most amazing experience. We choose a beach villa and could not have enjoyed our stay more. The level of service was outstanding, the staff were both helpful and friendly and the room service was always prompt. I did the water aerobics every morning and it was great fun. The diving was amazing and every just snorkelling around the Island was fun. The rooms were spacious, the bed was very comfortable with fantastic sheets and the toiletries were good quality. All in all an amazing 10 days and we can't wait to go back. Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the beach villas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
LaurensWMaldives, Hotel Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hello and thanks for sharing your W Hotels experience here on Trip Advisor. It's great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the W Retreat in the Maldives on our honeymoon after having been recommended it by a friend. I had done a lot of research on hotels in the Maldives prior to travelling and it can be very difficult to separate comments about the Maldives themselves from comments about the various hotels. The Maldives is simply a stunning location with beautiful water, sealife and coral reefs. If you are thinking of travelling there I would thoroughly recommend it.

Putting the location to one side I will try to rate the hotel on its own. I have not been to any other hotels in the Maldives but I am fairly well travelled and usually stay in five star hotels and I work in private banking so I know what a top end experience should feel like. There are two main reasons why I have given the W such a high rating.

Firstly, they offer an end-to-end experience. I was sent reminders well before we left to provide flight details so the hotel could book the seaplane for us; we were met at the airport when we got off the plane and taken to a private lounge before the seaplane flight; and our flight when we left was delayed by a few hours so the staff who had taken us to the airport offered to organise a number of different activities for us including a tour of Male, a spa treatment or to take us somewhere that we could relax. This last service in particular surprised and delighted us because they could have just left us at the airport but instead went the extra mile to make sure our entire experience in the country was pleasant.

Secondly, you can tailor the experience to be what you want. If you want to relax you can lie by the pool or the ocean and play pool, ping pong etc or if you want more action you can go water-skiing or para-sailing . The restaurants also cater for a number of palettes during all meals and the chefs at Fire in particular were willing to take requests (they made my wife pancakes with chocolate sauce and bananas for dessert). Fire has more of a buffet style meal but most things are cooked for you so you can request them how you like. Fish is much cheaper than Fire but is more like a normal restaurant menu although the quality of the food is superb. This was probably my favourite.

The staff are friendly and Laurens, the manager, is very approachable and helpful. The facilities are great, everything looks clean and new. They have stations scattered around the island where you can grab a drink or ice cream any time you want which is very handy. The island itself is also pristine with a really first rate reef literally at your doorstep (I would strongly recommend snorkelling in the area from the spa around to the restaurants). I live in Australia and have visited the Great Barrier Reef a few times and the snorkelling at the W was as good as, if not better than, anything else I have experienced. We saw a few sharks (harmless ones) and two giant turtles that were fairly tame and allowed us to swim right up next to them. There was not much dead coral and it was quite colourful with plenty of other fish swimming around. Like a lot of people, we did experience a slight hiccup during our stay, however, putting into context with the overall service standard it is not worth mentioning. All-in-all there is a lot to recommend for the W and I would not hesitate going back.

There are a few things to be aware of if travelling to the Maldives. If your hotel is far away from Male then you will have to catch a seaplane. Most hotels and travel sites note whether you have to get to your hotel by boat or seaplane. I am pretty sure that the seaplanes stop flying after about 4pm to 4:30pm so it is a good idea to land earlier in the day as you will need to allow at least an hour to an hour and a half to clear immigration and get to the seaplane. You may have to wait awhile for the seaplane but the lounge the W has is quite comfortable and it is better to wait awhile than miss a night at your hotel. The luggage limit is also 25kg which includes all hand luggage including handbags. The Maldives is a bunch of islands so, funnily enough, you will hear the ocean at night. There are also insects on these islands although they do spray to keep them away (they were quite discreet about it at the W and we never saw them doing it or smelled anything). I have read a lot of complaints on TripAdvisor about these sorts of issues and I find it astounding. If you have only ever lived in major cities I can understand that you would not be used to this but having grown up in coastal areas this is all completely normal and in fact there were hardly any mosquitoes or other insects around. As long as you know to expect this then hopefully this will not be an unpleasant surprise.

Thank you again to all the staff at the W Resort and Spa for making our trip such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LaurensWMaldives, Hotel Manager at W Retreat & Spa Maldives, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Steven,

Thanks for sharing your W Hotels experience - we're glad you had such a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Maldives and trust that you will continue to explore our W Retreats in Bali and Koh Samui (both fairly close to your part of the world).

Again, thanks for your comments and review.

Regards .. Laurens.

Been to W Retreat & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!