“Beautiful hotel, but service was a bit lacking” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hadahaa Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful hotel, but service was a bit lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and overall we really enjoyed our time at the Park Hyatt Hadahaa. We spent the first 4 nights in a pool villa and then the last night in a water villa. We were very happy that we tried both rooms. The pool villa was very private--we had requested a room with a lot of privacy, and our room was set quite a ways back from the beach in the middle of the jungle. Some people might have objected to the lack of beach view, but we were thrilled with our room. The water villa was also fantastic--great views of the sunset and the stars, and we even saw a reef shark swimming around below our room! The air conditioning did not work nearly as well in the water villa, and we really missed our pool, but we were glad we had one night in the water villa. I highly recommend staying in both room types.

The house reef at this hotel was fantastic--the best snorkeling I've ever experienced. The beaches were wonderful, and there were kayaks you can check out to explore the water. Free sunrise yoga classes were also offered, but we were too lazy to wake up early enough to participate. There is plenty to keep you busy if you get tired of relaxation.

Our only problem with this hotel was the service. Prior to this trip, my husband and I would have said that service was not very important to us, but the poor service started to get frustrating, mainly at the restaurant. We were a captive audience at the restaurant as it's not like we can just go off island easily to eat somewhere else, but if we had been able to go eat elsewhere we would have. The food was good, but given the five-star setting and the high prices we expected better service. The waitstaff at the restaurant were incredibly slow to take our orders and bring our food and to refill our water (and when it's that hot and humid you want plenty of cold water to drink). There are also small things you'd expect from a five-star location--we had the same waitstaff every night but they didn't remember our villa number, and they did not remember that we always ordered a bucket of ice with our water. These little polishes are things that we've found consistently at other five-star hotels at this price point. We noticed that when the general manager was in the dining room, the service picked up.

Overall, we had a great stay and the service did not at all ruin the trip for us. The island is beautiful and the rooms were fantastic, which is certainly the most important part of a resort hotel. But the service did cast a bit of a damper on the trip, particularly at meal times. While we loved the Maldives and would love to come back, we would likely pick a different resort and hope for better service at that location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Liz B,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience on Hadahaa.
We truly appreciate all feedback from our guests and realize that at times some is not what we would have liked, however, this is an opportunity to correct our flaws and enhance our offering for the future.

Thank you for you extremely kind words regarding the environment and villas, we are so honored to be custodians of this island. While we are delighted that your overall experience was positive we are very disappointed that you encountered the mentioned service issues and I do apologize.

You may rest assured that steps have been taken to address the concerns which you have raised through additional training of our associates.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

It's our first time to visit Maldives, and we choosed Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. The view of the resort is fabulous! And the service is excellent overall! Especially one of the staff- Charles, served us really well! It's a paradise for snorkeling! There are various corals and a lot of beautiful fish! I even saw a little shark when doing the guided snorkeling. Thank God the guider told me it is not dangerous because it's too small....Although the choices of restaurants are not much, the food there is delicious, especially the Asian cuisine. We stayed 4 nights in the water villa, enjoyed the holiday so much! It's really an amazing experience!

Room Tip: Water villa is quite good!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Joyce J,

From all here at Hadahaa we would like to say a huge thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your recent stay with us.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and particularly the snorkeling on the House Reef, something we are privileged to be able to share, sharks and all.

I have sent your best to Charles who wishes you all the best.

We hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 night here as part of our honeymoon. From the moment you step off the plane in male , to the greeting on the islands it's truly a 5 star experience. We enjoyed a pool villa which was lovely . The private pool is great and we spent most of our time there. Ashanka at the bar was amazing and was always excited to show us a new creation. Thank you to Julian and team for a great few days, and also thanks for the Paris tips. We will be back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jalen500,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay here on Hadahaa. We are delighted that you so enjoyed your experience especially on your honeymoon, the most memorable of all holidays.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share. I have passed on your best to Asanka who send his regards.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Just on our way home from Park Hyatt after a fantastic 5 days. Having been to Maldives 16 times this was our first trip to this atoll. Diving, with the wonderful Ashfaq, was amazing, the best coral I've seen, although not as many reef fish as further north. Grey Reef sharks abound with the right currents, but unfortunately we didn't have much current at all, but still saw 15 grey reefs, white-tip and leopard sharks, loads of rays etc., etc.
Beach villa was lovely with plenty of space and direct access to beach was fantastic

Used the gym....fully equipped

Only used the dining room restaurant as wasn't fed up with menu after 5 days

Great service by the team in the restaurant particularly Nabeel equalled by service received from Faisal our butler.

Some small issues were dealt with efficiently and professionally ...well done!

Sent from my iPad and professionally

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Welltown,

A huge thanks for you incredibly timely review of your very recent stay with us.

We are delighted you so enjoyed your time, particularly the diving, with us and hope that this will not be your last time to this atoll?

As I hope you have discovered there is a lot to be said for the little extra distance.

I have passed your best onto Ashfaq, Faisal and Nabeel who send their regards.

Thanks again

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This resort is amazing!

I had heard this place was very very nice, but it was better than I expected (and better than other places I've stayed in the Maldives, Seychelles, Bora Bora, Fiji, Caribean, etc). The general manager, Julian Moore, is great as is the entire staff. The hotel is extremely luxurious and also attends to the environment and local culture in a way that enriched my entire experience. I was also surprised at prices. The Maldives are notoriously expensive and this isn't a budget hotel, but I was mostly surprised that things didn't cost more. Food and massages would cost more at many 5 star hotels in cities. I didn't spend any time worrying that I was being overcharged.

Here is a list of some of the things I enjoyed:
-the location of the resort, ~250 miles south of Male, tropical paradise
-the effortless transport
-the interesting architecture (felt like some Amans/G. Bawa designs)
-the environmentally thoughtful construction (that preserved the island's amazing reef)
-the stars and moon at night
-the lack of planes/boats/other resorts nearby
-the amazing beach, couldn't be more pleasant
-the tiny beautiful shells
-the stunning snorkeling (I don't dive, but am sure it's incredible)
-the very comfortable, great looking room
-black out window shutters (very helpful while jet lagged)
-better wifi/plugs than most NYC or London hotels--and free very fast wifi
-constantly replenished bottled water, still and sparkling (locally/environmentally bottled)
-many tasty food options for every meal as well as pool side snacks, cocktails, high tea...
-excellent spa with lots of great options including yoga/gym
-I had a really exceptionally good massage+reflexology and also did a session of water yoga that was great
-all the prices were lower that I was expecting, for food, massage, etc, so I didn't waste any time bitter about a $60 hamburger
-most of all, the entire staff was excellent, and everyone seemed engaged and excited to be there.

When I return I want to stay longer, and do the day outing to uninhabited islands. My one request would be more dark chocolate--in the mini bar, on the menu. Also, while I was at the hotel it seemed most of the guests were couples, many honeymooning, but it was a great place to relax solo and I imagine a family would have an amazing time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Gandaratravels,

You are too kind! What a fantastic review of your time here.

There is no recommendation as effective as that of a guest taking a moment to share their experience and this is all we could ever wish for and really appreciate you taking the time to complete your review.

A huge thanks and we truly hope to welcome you back soon. Dark chocolate shall be waiting.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I just finished celebrating our anniversary at the Park Hyatt Maldives and it was excellent in every way! Both the hard and soft product were on par and at times above the Park Hyatt standards.

The rooms were modern but had character as well. We split our stay between over the water and pool villa. We were lucky enough to receive villa 51 as our over the water room. The views were spectacular. Watching the sun rise and sun set was incredible. You feel as if you were sleeping on a huge water bed as the Indian Ocean surrounds you. Snorkeling off of our water villa was amazing, so many sea life which I've never encountered before.

Our pool villa was fantastic as well. My wife really enjoyed our private beach and taking dips in our own pool. I actually spent most of my time at the main pool.

While the facility was near full, we felt as if the island was our own. Most guests enjoyed spending time in their own private villas/beach/pool.

The service was very personal. Though, unnecessary, we were always addressed by name by all staff members. (they are all really good with names) Our host was helpful with anything that was required. We met the marketing manager, James and really enjoyed our conversations.
My wife and I were heading to London after Maldives and James was kind enough to compose a list of activities and directions/tips for us. We greatly appreciated the pro-active gesture and found them to be very useful at the moment as we are currently in London (Andaz Liverpool, great hotel as well). We also had the pleasure of meeting the GM, Julian Moore and found him to be a very interesting and nice guy.

If I had to identify one opportunity, it would be the air transportation between Male and Park Hyatt. the smell of the plane was unbearable for me, however, this really isn't Park Hyatt's fault.
With that said, it was still well worth it to make and endure the long trip. You are less than 30 miles from the equator and this is one of the most remote location you will ever stay at.

Overall, we could not be more happy with our stay. We've been to many Park Hyatt properties across the globe and Park Hyatt Maldives is one of the top 3 places I've ever visited. We will return!

Dear htang333,

May I start by saying a huge thanks from all here on Hadahaa for your extremely kind comments regarding your recent stay.

We are delighted you so enjoyed your time here and so very grateful that you took the time to share your experience.

Al the team send their best including James who hopes his details were useful. He asked if you got the Oyster Cards?

We are sorry to hear about the smell of the plane and you may rest assured we will raise the issue with the airline.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and truly hope to welcome you back one day soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Just got back from paradise. My Wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Park Hyatt Maldives. From the moment we arrived til the moment we left we were treated by Julian and his staff as kings and queens in our palace. My Wife and I went with the all inclusive package and enjoyed all of the wonderful food. The food is a mix of asian and american classics with the freshest caught fish you can imagine. We also went out and caught our own phish and the kitchen prepared it to meet our tastes. We stayed in a Pool Villa and had our own private pool as well as private beach chairs. We did the snorkel excursion as well and checked out the various reefs. The best reef we found was off the Jetty right off the hotel. You can clearly see tons of reef fish. I would highly recommend anyone interested in visiting paradise stay at Park Hyatt Maldives.

Room Tip: Pool Villa is awesome.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_Park_Hyatt, General Manager at Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear AdrockNY,

May I say a huge thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us here on Hadahaa.

We are delighted that you so enjoyed your time here and really appreciate your kind words.

You certainly made the most of your visit but there’s plenty more to do, so hurry back soon!

Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa

Been to Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa? Share your experiences!