“Beautiful and welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bucharest, Romania
“Beautiful and welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

When you decide to go to Maldives, especially for the first time, you need to consider many aspects but one thing is for sure, prepare to shock your credit card. No matter what you do you can't go cheap. This is the reality but out of 125 island resorts they have you need to choose the one that perfectly fits your expectations and budget.

I can compare the experience with the one buying a DSLR camera. Velassaru is like top of the entry level DSLR camera: good price, gives you the bliss experience and makes you want more later.

Overview

Medium size island (15 mins walk), accessible via speed boat from the airport (20 mins).
It offers deluxe bungalows - which I recommend as the best deal, beach villas and water villas.
5 restaurants, 2 bars, beautiful infinity pool, diving center and water sports centre. Ah, and a library, gym and tennis court.
The resorts accepts all ages. There were only 6 kids on the island during our stay but the manager told me that they had 40 at one point.

The good

> The resort is in very good shape, staff is nice and helpful. They are very organized and in time. The front desk manager, Mohammed, was very understanding and granted late checkout as our flight was scheduled in the evening. My friend went to a different hotel in the same time and they asked him 200 USD for 3 extra hours.
> Beautiful beach with cristal clear water and a decent coral reef - colourful fish, smal sharks, sting rays.
> Rooms, actually bungalows/villas, are very spacious, clean, nice design. They offer all you need: very comfortable beds, good air conditioning, 2 TVs with the best tv channels selection I have seen in a hotel and an amazing bathroom which is OPEN. Yes, you get into the bathroom and half is inside, half is outside. Basically the outside part is a shower in a nice little garden.
> Food is good and you have a good variety of options including different kind of fish. I recommend the Japanese restaurant as it is on water and you can feed the sharks from above.
> For those who forgot to pack essential beach items will be amazed to find out that the hotel offers in every room for free 2 pairs of flip flops, beach bag, 2 beach towels, 2 big umbrellas and for a charge an underwater camera. Ah, not to forget. At the diving center called Immersion they offer you FREE snorkelling equipment for the entire stay. Thumbs up!
> You get the exotic tropical island experience given the amazing vegetation + a few non aquatic animals such as lizards, a species of chicken (no idea what that is), huge fruit bats (harmless), a pelican (I guess) and the cute geckos.
> The pool is an infinity pool that replicates a beach with pristine water. It offers about 20 extremely comfortable pool beds.
> Activities are plenty. You can snorkel, dive, go fishing, kayak, boat trip, see the dolphins.

Annoyances

> The north part of the island has a sort of unpleasant view towards Male and a garbage island which sometimes sends out smoke when processing the garbage. This is something mentioned by most of the people in their reviews and sadly the hotel can't do much about it. We did not find it that disturbing. The main places where you stay at the beach or pool do not face that side.
> They only offer buffet for dinner. Other hotels offer buffet for both launch and dinner. Guest's choice. At Velassaru you can only opt for dinner. First of all not to many people eat that much in the evening, not to mention that it comes with a very steep price, 100 USD (tax included) and there is zero drinks included.
> Water sports are expensive and sometimes prices make no sense. For example, 15 mins of parasailing - 90 USD while a plane trip to see the islands from the above costs 110 USD. Where is the logic?
> The beaches and the pool come with pool chairs and umbrellas. Actually the pool features pool bed. The annoying part is that the umbrellas are fixed. You can't move them or they cannot be adjusted. If you want shade you will be always be stressed by the move of the sun. You have shade in the morning and then sun after noon. Very annoying. The management should take action and replace the umbrellas with adjustable ones. Also, assign someone on the beach to help with the umbrellas.
> Although the managements is putting a lot of effort to combat mosquitos you can still experience them sometimes. This is nature, you can't win. So, be wise and bring anti mosquitos cream/spray.

In a nut shell (or coconut shell :) ) I highly recommend this resort. I believe it offers a great Maldives experience at an affordable price.

Room Tip: If you booked a water villa avoid the following numbers: 310 to 318 and 420 to 429. Why? Because at...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is our second trip to Maldives, first one was during our Honeymoon, exactly one year ago.
My review is long and detailed, so first of all, here is a summary:
This hotel does not have lots of rooms, which help them to focus on quality and serve their customers better. They have exceeded my expectations in almost everything, you can find the (small touches) that makes a difference in your stay almost everywhere you look, like the slippers they give for honeymooners have the word (JUST) engraved on one and (MARRIED) on the other so they print on the sand (JUST MARRIED) as they walk!
This is your hotel if you are celebrating an occasion and you want to make sure NOTHING goes unchecked or spoil your stay. It is a couple oriented hotel, it is meant for couples who want the seclusion and enjoy each other while being overlooked by the angels of Velassaru without feeling their presence!
Do not think twice, book at Velassaru, you will not regret it…

Now my detailed review:

BEFORE ARRIVING:
My experience with Velassaru started well before arriving to Maldives. After i booked our Anniversary stay for four nights through booking.com, i sent the hotel an email to confirm my reservation directly with them and inform them about our requirements (i.e. feather-free room and such). I also told them this was our first anniversary, they responded back confirming our requirements and attaching a couple of brochures for special occasions arrangements like private dining, cruise sunsets and so forth! They never got tired of helping me arrange a surprise dinner for my wife!
After finalizing all things, they sent me the quotation by email (pdf file) where i had to input my credit card number and email it back to them so they can charge me. I guess because when i booked their website was down so they had to do this manual way. I hope they don't have to do it with all guests. I actually called them to confirm this PDF originality I received via email and that booking.com will not double charge me. Everything went fine.
Later, we had a personal event back at home that required us to cut our Maldives trip one day short, so i called the hotel again and they said as long as its two weeks prior to check-in date you can do whatever you want free of any penalties or charges! I have never had such good experience with any hotel, and i am not even there yet!

ARRIVING AT MALDIVES:
Travel day comes, we clear immigration and customs only to find the Velassaru representative waiting right at the exit, he greeted us and said Happy Anniversary and he hopes that our stay will be more enjoyable than our Honeymoon at Sheraton Full Moon Resort in Maldives! I was expecting such greeting at the reception but i was stunned how they informed the greeting man to say this to his customers!! We had the biggest smile on our faces.
We were supposed to wait for other customers to join the boat because we paid for a group boat transfer, but 5 minutes later the greeter comes back (i wish i can remember his name) and says are going to get the private speed boat trip instead of waiting long time for other customers to come in! He earned his tip!
The trip takes around 20 – 30 minutes depending on sea conditions. First thing you notice before docking is the wide shallow crystal clear waters and amazing white sands! The same lady (Ms Flower) who greeted us at the dock, took us to reception, checked us in, brought the welcome drinks and walked us to our Deluxe Bungalow (smallest room type) number 122. I asked them for a free upgrade, they provided me a list of payable upgrade options, starting from $100 for the Beach Villa up to $250 for the Water Pool Villa (per day extra charges ++ and subject to availability upon check-in).

DELUXE BUNGALOW:
The bungalow has two LCD TVs one in front of the bed and other in the seating area, queen size bed, decent office desk, mini bar, complimentary daily two big bottles of water per day, a welcome fruit basket, safe box and closet. The bathroom is outside the bungalow however it is covered except the small garden-rain-type shower which is open to the sky, in the covered area you got the sink, toilet and another shower which has a shower hose. Bathroom amenities are L'Occitane. At night the bathroom will be swarming with ants and small island lizards, i guess it is part of living in the tropical part of the world, during day light you see nothing except a very tiny pin-head size of ants. One night I had to literally fight with a massive cockroach the size of your index finger! The freaky thing was flying homing towards me and i sprayed him with the shower hose and he kept flying LOL! Anyway sparing you the details, we ended up having all our showers during the day and use the bathroom at night only when really needed. The hotel does bug-spray the whole island between 6-7pm daily if I'm not mistaken so mosquitoes would be to minimum. There is an anti-mosquito vapor in the room too, nice touch! However regardless of the countless bugs and insects outside, the rooms are completely sealed; there is no single ant that sneaked in the room during our 3 nights stay! Job well done Velassaru!
During the room’s evening turndown service, they leave a paper briefing you about the resort's next day activity, weather, tide info, sunset and sunrise. They call it the Velassaru Daily Moments.

SPA:
First thing we did was treat ourselves in their SPA, each one of us had a 90 minutes massage, it was a good experience like what you expect from any 5 stars hotel resort & SPA.

POOL:
Their swimming pool is by far the best i have seen, location wise and design. We ordered our drinks and had them in the pool no one told us anything (usually they don’t allow you to have drinks IN the pool, only at the edge) other couples saw us and they started having their drinks in the pool as well! Everyone was happy! I guess they assume you to be responsible for your act and they don’t want to spoil your fun.
The pool is accessible from early morning up to 12:30am. During night the pool floor is lit with many fiber optic strands that end up at the pool floor and sparkle like stars. Being an infinity pool and with the millions of stars you see in the Maldivian sky at night, the view in front of the pool at night is mesmerizing! The architect or pool designer deserves a Pulitzer! The Pizzeria bar next to the pool serves some amazing home-made pizzas; Chef Moosa is very friendly and knows how to win his customers. I strongly recommend you try one of his pizzas if you decided to stay at Velassaru.
However I have one comment regarding the pool, it is not a smoke-free pool which was a bit annoying when some guests carelessly smoke between others while on the tanning beds. Other guests showed some courtesy by moving away to smoke then come back to their spots. I believe management should at least dedicate the left side of the pool for smokers and the right one for non smokers.

BEACH:
Their beach is all white smooth sand; the shallow crystal water goes way far in the sea before the deep coral reef starts, so there is plenty of swimming space for everyone. It is not crowded at all because the white sandy beach literally goes all around the island. However some parts you are not allowed to snorkel because of boat activity. They have twin tanning beds scattered with an umbrella between them all around the beach for their guests. This hotel is aimed for couples, so you can sense that everything is tailored for couples.
Snorkeling gear can be rented for free during your stay where you can keep the fins, goggles and breathing tube with you during your stay (nice touch). I suggest you get your own goggles and breathing tube from home and rent only the fins, because i paid for two tubes total of $97 because we didn't want to use a tube that hundreds others put in their mouth before us. Don't forget your snorkeling shirt as well; the cheapest one in the scuba diving center is for $60. I brought my own Nike Fit short-sleeves shirt, it did the job. It is worth to mention that there is no life guard on duty so you snorkel at your own risk, be aware of your swimming capabilities and those who are accompanying you.

SANDS RESTAURANT:
Sands restaurant is a grill specialized, the tables are arranged gives privacy for each one except for two stretches of tables next to each other. The restaurant stands by its name as most of the tables are on the sand; you can take off your slippers and enjoy sand between your feet while eating by far the best Angus Tenderloin steak I have ever had! Chef Sobha is the best steak Master!

PRIVATE DINNER:
I had booked for a private couple dinner on the beach for our anniversary occasion, it was worth every penny i paid for. You get to chose the items you want to be served during dinner well before the dinner its self, so by the time you sit down with your partner at the dining table watching the sun set in the horizon and having the whole beach for your selves with the infinity pool behind you; they will be serving you the food that you want without asking you any questions other than making sure the food and arrangements are up to par with your expectations. The chef visited us twice Mr Sanjeed (i hope i got his name right), he cooked the food live about 50 meters away from us where they set for him a mini kitchen on the sand with a spot light on him, dedicated only for serving you!
In room dining has everything you look for. The menu is massive and offers many kinds of food. However you have to be a bit patient as sometimes it takes them well over 25 minutes to deliver just a French fries and orange juice. But hey, you there to relax not to hurry things up, right?

GYM & LIBRARY:
Their gym is LARGE compared to other hotels I have seen around the world! You can find almost all kinds of weight lifting, free weights and powered equipment. There is a library next to it with 3 desktop computers (2 MACs and one PC) for you to browse the net free of charge. There are hundreds of books and magazines. There is a DVD library with some decent titles were you can rent a DVD free of charge as well to watch in your own room. Or just grab book and read at the library porch where they have many lay down beds and sofas.

CHECK OUT:
Our plane departs at 8:30pm, so the hotel confirmed to us that we can late checkout from our room (subject to availability) at 6pm for an extra $100++. In case your room was booked for another guest, they have 3 dedicated late checkout Deluxe Bungalows for their guests, also for same price and are on first come first serve basis. Nice touch if you ask me because not all hotels in Maldives or anywhere for that matter would like to waste revenue on rooms just to dedicate them for late checkout! Every single one of their staff we encountered during checkout up to the airport was asking us about our stay, they made us feel as we were leaving our home! Velassaru has made our anniversary an unforgettable occasion!

I want to post some photos soon that relate to my review, look for photos signed with (RAMAHI).

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is our first visit to the Maldives and it was an absolute blast, we stayed in the Velassaru for 3 nights and we really loved it. The Velassaru is located on a medium sized island, which makes it convenient to walk and swim around, the hotel itself is 5 star and a member of SLH (small luxury hotels), we stayed in a water bungalow (314)

PROS:
+ Nature, ocean, sights, serenity, Sun, water temperature and the weather
+ Food: quality and taste were SUPERB
+ Restaurants’ ambience and locations
+ kayaking, both the couple and single, which has a glass bottom
+ Jet ski
+ Service, a very friendly staff with minor comments
+ Spa
+ Drinks & cocktails (don’t miss silk sand)
+ Room cleanliness
+ Water villas
+ Beach bungalows
+ Wildlife
+ Distance to the airport
+ Sunset cruise (make sure that you don’t go on a cloudy day)
+ Pool and pool area
+ Hummocks
+ Activities at night (once they had a party and another a live band)

CONS:
- Water bungalows, although luxurious and nice, but are old and worn out, which makes them really overpriced. In our room: chipped & old wood, broken toilet seat, rusted hair dryer, etc...
- Luxury experience sometimes affected. Examples: 1- We went on an expensive dolphin trip and saw nothing, the crew didn't consider compensating us with anything after, I know that it's not their fault but it would have been nice if they had this extra bit of courtesy. 2- When we tried to downgrade our room (see the first con), the management asked us to do it through Expedia only which was impossible, although we still had a bill to settle and it could have been arranged. They, however, tried to compensate us with a sunset cruise or a bottle of wine; we declined both due to different reasons, they offered nothing else. 3- No welcome drinks, although a very simple gesture but it does make a difference, what’s amazing is that when we highlighted this to the receptionist, she acted surprised but still did nothing! 4- We were allowed 400 grams of fish in one of the restaurants, I picked a fish that was 402 and one of the staff highlighted that it was 2 grams extra!!!!
I know all the previous might seem stupid to some people, but it’s these small components and gestures that really gives you that luxury feeling, especially if you are paying a lot. I have also to be fair and say that although this reduced from our “luxury” feeling sometimes, but it didn’t affect our enjoyment of the trip/hotel.
- Velassaru indulgence offer, although convenient, but overpriced, most probably you will not eat/drink with this value, unless you take it as a challenge
- Some areas have a not-so-perfect view (Industrial Island)
- Most of the island has strong currents

In conclusion, we absolutely loved our first visit to the Maldives and our stay in the Velassaru, although the whole trip was expensive but we really enjoyed it, we were choosing between Velassaru and Anantara Veli and probably next time we will go to Anantara, and if we end up in the Velassaru again then we won’t stay in these water bungalow

Room Tip: Water bungalows are old Water villas and beach bungalows are a better option Make sure you don'...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I dont even know where to begin.
This is was the best experience and everything i hoped for a perfect honeymoon. This was a truly piece of heaven and the 4 days were absolutely amazing.
ticked all the boxes
-cleanliness
-the most friendly staff
-awesome spa
-snorkeling a must
pardon me if i missed anything. but yeah however, it was a bit pricey, but none-the less, every penny worth spent.
I was so overwhelmed by the whole experience that i had to tell the world about this amazing place.
A must option to consider and demanded to be recommended....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a wonderful facility. The place is paradise. Service is very good, would not categorize as excellent, because it is overall slow. But staff is very, very friendly and trained to please the customer. The title of overpriced is because it is, in fact, very expensive. However, if you consider the costs of maintaining a property like that with the level of performance it delivers, price is appropriate. Let me elaborate a bit. This is a small island in the middle of nowhere, and all services have to come from outside. Garbage disposal should be done by boats (I wonder how many times a day!). All services are available (fast internet, good food, cell phone coverage, etc), again, in a very little island relatively far from "civilization". This makes anything in the island very expensive, but adequate to the quality they offer. So, in summary, I can give 5 stars even with these high costs, because otherwise it would not be possible.
The water villa was unbelievable, I could not stop taking pictures, since the landscape was surreal. Never seen such beautiful colors in the sea, different tonalities of blue, right in front of your bedroom or bathroom... everywhere around! There are huge windows facing the ocean in both the bedroom and bathroom. We went with a whole family of 5, with children ranging 8-14, and they all had a great time. There are all types of water sports available, from water skiing to kayak and scuba diving. Snorkeling equipment is complimentary, and water is so shallow that all you need is an underwater camera. The water is so clear that you can basically see all kinds of fishes even from above, including small black fin sharks... The sand looks like powder in some areas, so thin and white that it is hard to believe it is natural. I was really positively impressed with the experience and highly recommend to anyone willing to disconnect from the world for a few days and relax. Even my children were behaving amazingly well!

Room Tip: Water villa 412 is perhaps the best view in that price range...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Velassaru for our honeymoon, booked through a travel agent. We were definatly not disappointed. We stayed in the deluxe bungalow, with the best snorkelling a few steps from our room. The island was immacluate, the staff friendly and attentive at all times. The food in all the restaurants was out of this world, so much choice, everything tasted and was presented perfectly. I would definatly recommened this resort.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend and I were just looking for a place to go and chill, enjoy the sun, the heat and some snorkeling and we found way more. I have to say this is the first place in my life where I could check off as many of the items on my list of "what I want for a sunny, beach vacation". We booked the spa package bc we really wanted to get pampered but we got pampered way beyond the spa treatments. The entire staff was so kind, nice, smiling and generous with their attitute and helpfulness and it didn't feel at all like "we want your money" kind of kindness. It really wasn't. We felt like princesses the entire time. Plus we were dreading a bit if the Maldives were going to be too "honeymooney" but not at all. This resort has a good mix of honeymooners, families and girlfriends coming together just to enjoy the place, relax and have a little bit of fun like us. Every night there was a different band or DJ or activity to do so we never got bored and plus the music was of high quality, perfect for the island life. Also ended late enough to enjoy but not too late to enjoy the next day. The food was excellent in all the restaurants and the service always impeccable. The only thing that we were disappointed with were the desserts. But we've told them they need to improve! ; )

Our Deluxe bungalow (first category of rooms) was perfect with a backyard jacuzzi and totally enough for us. Of course if you can splurge on one of the water-bungalows go ahead but you won't feel so deprived by booking "just" a bungalow. Personally, I ve decided I d rather book the Deluxe bungalow every year than go back there one or 2 times in my life again! So yes, if you were wondering, I will be going back over and over!!!!

The spa treatments and facilities were AMAZING! Literally the best facial I ever had in my life! And the jacuzzi with the ocean and sunset view, MAGICAL! A little secret: book your treatment to finish a bit before sunset or to start aftewards and come and enjoy it in the jacuzzi! You will never forget it.

Finally, for those "stuck" on the rubbish island, I'm still wondering how they know/if it really is the rubbish island bc unless you ask someone at the hotel, you would never know. Yes ok you do see some smoke in the distance but there is no way to know what it is just by looking at it. And trust me, the beaches and water at the hotel are not affected by it AT ALL! If you didn't know, you would never know. No smell or weird colored water. Ok this hotel is not the best for local snorkeling if that's what you're really hung up on but we still saw small sting rays and small sharks every day just when stepping foot in the water and we even got lucky enough to swim with a big turtle and a big sting ray. Oh and the Dolphin Discovery activity was just awesome too. You might not see them long but you will never forget those moments with them.

Enjoy and book your trip to PARADISE ON EARTH!!!!!

P.S. Few mosquitos. Loved it! and none of the photos are photoshoped. This is what you get for real!

Room Tip: see my comments and I would also say, for those not sure how to split your money to spend, better to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Velassaru Maldives? Share your experiences!