“The perfect Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Stay&Honeymoon
Wiltshire
“The perfect Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Velassaru for our honeymoon, booked through a travel agent. We were definatly not disappointed. We stayed in the deluxe bungalow, with the best snorkelling a few steps from our room. The island was immacluate, the staff friendly and attentive at all times. The food in all the restaurants was out of this world, so much choice, everything tasted and was presented perfectly. I would definatly recommened this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

719 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My friend and I were just looking for a place to go and chill, enjoy the sun, the heat and some snorkeling and we found way more. I have to say this is the first place in my life where I could check off as many of the items on my list of "what I want for a sunny, beach vacation". We booked the spa package bc we really wanted to get pampered but we got pampered way beyond the spa treatments. The entire staff was so kind, nice, smiling and generous with their attitute and helpfulness and it didn't feel at all like "we want your money" kind of kindness. It really wasn't. We felt like princesses the entire time. Plus we were dreading a bit if the Maldives were going to be too "honeymooney" but not at all. This resort has a good mix of honeymooners, families and girlfriends coming together just to enjoy the place, relax and have a little bit of fun like us. Every night there was a different band or DJ or activity to do so we never got bored and plus the music was of high quality, perfect for the island life. Also ended late enough to enjoy but not too late to enjoy the next day. The food was excellent in all the restaurants and the service always impeccable. The only thing that we were disappointed with were the desserts. But we've told them they need to improve! ; )

Our Deluxe bungalow (first category of rooms) was perfect with a backyard jacuzzi and totally enough for us. Of course if you can splurge on one of the water-bungalows go ahead but you won't feel so deprived by booking "just" a bungalow. Personally, I ve decided I d rather book the Deluxe bungalow every year than go back there one or 2 times in my life again! So yes, if you were wondering, I will be going back over and over!!!!

The spa treatments and facilities were AMAZING! Literally the best facial I ever had in my life! And the jacuzzi with the ocean and sunset view, MAGICAL! A little secret: book your treatment to finish a bit before sunset or to start aftewards and come and enjoy it in the jacuzzi! You will never forget it.

Finally, for those "stuck" on the rubbish island, I'm still wondering how they know/if it really is the rubbish island bc unless you ask someone at the hotel, you would never know. Yes ok you do see some smoke in the distance but there is no way to know what it is just by looking at it. And trust me, the beaches and water at the hotel are not affected by it AT ALL! If you didn't know, you would never know. No smell or weird colored water. Ok this hotel is not the best for local snorkeling if that's what you're really hung up on but we still saw small sting rays and small sharks every day just when stepping foot in the water and we even got lucky enough to swim with a big turtle and a big sting ray. Oh and the Dolphin Discovery activity was just awesome too. You might not see them long but you will never forget those moments with them.

Enjoy and book your trip to PARADISE ON EARTH!!!!!

P.S. Few mosquitos. Loved it! and none of the photos are photoshoped. This is what you get for real!

Room Tip: see my comments and I would also say, for those not sure how to split your money to spend, better to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

While I must say I always write reviews of places this is going to be one of the best reviews I have written about a wonderful place. I located Velassaru on a just a random search from google looking for places to have my honeymoon. I have always wanted to visit the island chain but mainly for the aspect of diving and since my fiancé, now wife, did not dive I had to make sure that there was plenty of activities for her to do while I was out on the boat for most of the morning. Well we discussed going somewhere closer since it was going to be a 30+ hr. plane ride over and back. After much discussion on going to Tahiti or Bora Bora my wife allowed me to choose since I was funding the wedding and she wanted me to have a blast. Her only condition was that she be able to lay out on the beach and tan while I was off diving. So after reading the reviews I determined that not everyone is always happy and that we should check this resort out for ourselves! With that being said I have to say that we are both so HAPPY that we chose to spend our honeymoon with the wonderful folks of Velassaru!
Upon arrival to the airport we collected our bag and proceeded to customs, once we cleared customs we were greeted outside of the doors with gentleman waiting to take our bags for us and show us to the speed boat that was going to take us to our paradise for the next 8 days. Once we were seated in the boat we were give fresh cold towels to wipe our hands and faces with and a bottle of cold water. We sat back and enjoyed the crystal clear water for about a 25 min boat ride.
Once we arrived at the resort our bags were taken to our rooms and we were given a tour of the island, it’s pretty small so if you are looking for late night partying and bar hopping this is not the resort for you. We were then escorted to our water bungalow over the water and given an itinerary of events for the next few days should we choose to attend, it ranged from live DJ’s to happy hour and special meals. We chose to only have free breakfast and just paid for any meals we decided to eat because we did not like the idea of the buffet style all the time. Keep in mind that if you decide to go this route, prices of meals run from about $25 to $90 a plate not including drinks. We had done our research on these islands before and were fully aware to expect to spend at least half to the same amount as what you paid for your accommodations. With us we ate like kings and queens and including 7 SCUBA dive excursions and my wife getting certified we ran about half of what we spent.
I also have to give a big thanks out to the immersion dive center and their staff as my wife who swore she would never SCUBA dive is now a certified diver and LOVING IT! They took wonderful care of her! Thanks again if any of y’all are reading this!
Now on to the food, we were lucky on our first night to meet the assistant food and beverage manager, Yeray, he was wonderful throughout our entire stay in assisting us with perfect wine pairings and recommending a wonderful dessert wine for us. He was always very helpful and a joy to talk with about other places to visit around the world. One day I hope to visit more of Spain as he gave us some wonderful insight on where to go. But I digress, the food was exceptional, there is just no other words to describe it. I do not think we had one bad meal, although I will say the cheeseburger I had left a little to be desired. We attended two of their special events, one which was a Maldivian BBQ which consisted of a wide array of fish and meat and then there was the Chocolate Affair! Do not let the name fool you, this is a must for anyone that loves to eat and loves chocolate. I have to say I was a little skeptical myself when I read the menu that was sent to our room, but I am very happy we attend. The chocolate was not over powering and complimented all the food perfectly. Branch out and give it a try if they offer it while you are there!!
As for the bar scene we either stayed around the chill bar to watch the sunset or the Fen bar where we requested Dari as our server. She is a joy and a delight to be around and I wish her the best in her future endeavors. The drinks are always cold and fresh, but keep in mind they are on island time so don’t be in a big hurry for stuff, just sit back and relax. We really didn’t do a lot of drinking, which might explain why some people’s bills are so high when they check out, because we just wanted a few to relax and just enjoy conversation amongst ourselves and the staff.

While I understand there were some complaints of being able to see the main island and the plume of smoke this was not a problem for us. We enjoyed being able to see other islands dotting the water and well the smoke was never a bother because we never smelled it and never really noticed it because we stayed busy enjoying the diving, sunning, snorkeling, hanging out at the pool or just relaxing on our own private deck.

For all of those looking for a wonderful resort filled with helpful folks this place is a must see!! I would like to thank everyone for a wonderful honeymoon that my wife and I will never forget!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Choose this island as offered good value on water apartments. We chose a water bungalow but were upgraded to a villa as we were celebtrating our anniversary - great gesture!

Stayed for 10 nights, was definately magically and probably our best holiday stay yet!

Water villa was amazing, cleaned twice a day.
All staff extremely attentive. Service is always quick and always consistantly high standard.

We were suprised that food orders and room service orders were always delivered on time, regardless how busy they were.

Good restaurants and things to keep you occupied on site, we didnt need to leave.

Only negative is not the best for snorkelling, a lot of broken coral. Also, if not all inclusive for dinner/lunch, the Vela restaurant was expensive - $75 pp for buffet dinner.

Room Tip: if you want privacy go for the water villa or bungalow. Villa better for access to restaurants and...
HERTFORDSHIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Having just returned from our 10 day stay at Vellassara - our 1st visit to the Maldives it was the best holiday we have ever taken. From the moment we stepped of the boat onto the Island it was magical. Resort is beautiful. Staff were very helpful, polite and everyone had a smile. :)

We stayed in a beach villa no. 227. The room was well equipped with everything you could possible need. We had a perfect view from our bed looking directly onto the beach/sea. Bathroom was huge with a choice of an indoor shower or outside shower. The outdoor shower was our favourite. Room cleaned twice daily to an excellent standard. Thank you.

Restaurants all very good. Our first time at the Teppanyaki was a great experience. Not having been to one before we ask the chef to recommend some dishes. The meal we choose was a wonderful culinary delight, hence we returned another evening. We also booked 2 private dining experiences food and service excellent again. Very romantic settings, candles/ flowers.

Plenty of watersports available.

Evening entrainment offered most evenings.

We both enjoyed Spa treatments. Spa setting very relaxing, after treatment you are taken up to a relaxing lounge and offered fresh fruit juice and fruit kebabs. Perfect!!!!

Chill Bar offers a good choice of tapas for lunch. The place to be for early evening cocktails and to watch the sunset.

I could go on forever but won't, just like to say if you choose Velassaru I am are sure you will not be disappointed.

We will definitely return in the future. Thank you all for making this a wonderful experience.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have recently arrived back after spending 4 magical days at Velassaru Maldives. We booked after doing a quick research on the internet and really got lucky as it was probably the best place we've ever been to for a holiday. Everybody knows how beautiful Maldives is but Velassaru is truly stunning. What really sets it apart is the staff who are exceptional; friendly, attentive, nothing is too much trouble. They really make the stay at Velassaru special by meeting your every need, right from receiving us at the airport to sadly dropping us off for our return.

We were on the Indulgence Package which allowed us to eat on all the restaurants on the island and the food was excellent, drinks included. It was a bit pricey but well worth it and I would recommend this rather than the full or half board. Be prepared to really indulge! The excursions were pretty good too although we were not able to go on the sunset cruise as it was cancelled due to the bad weather.

I must mention the Spa. The treatments are wonderful and you're in the caring hands of experienced staff. I went to sleep immediately and woke up a new man! My wife is still talking about the massages she received a month ago. Jaya at the reception is fantastic and made sure we got our appointments when we wanted. It's really unfair to single out staff as they were all so wonderful but Sudeep in housekeeping, Naseem and Anthony at reception were tremendously helpful.

We would love to go back and I would recommend this resort to anyone thinking of planning a holiday in the Maldives. You'll have the time of your life.

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had an awesome 4-day-stay at the resort. Well arranged airport transfers, it takes about 25 minutes to/from the resort. All staff is great and make you feel at home.

We loved our garden bungalow. There is some water just outside, so you can wash the sand of your feet. Inside is a spacious modern room with flat screen TV, DVD and wifi, also rechargers for iPhone, iPad. Great master bed and they had a separate kids bed on the lower floor (with its own tv). Good mini-bar area with free large Bonaqua water bottles (three a day). We brought many snacks from Male city as the selection of snacks is limited and the snacks are more expensive in the resort. Safe next to it as well. Spacious bathroom with two showers (an 'inside' and an 'outside' shower).

Within 7 seconds we were at the wonderful beach/ocean, with many stretchers and plenty of clear water with many fish. Diving club gives out free snorkeling gear. However, you can see pretty much all the fish, rays and sharks even without snorkeling equipment. Seeing so many reef sharks close by is really cool!

We loved the pool area with the infinity pool as well. Beach is great all around the island.

Food overall was very good and the chef was coming by to ask what our 4-year-old daughter wanted to eat. They especially made donuts, fish fingers, fries, anything for her. Breakfast buffet was elaborate and delicious, with a good choice of cold and warm food, fruits and juices.

We usually had a simple sandwich or pizza lunch around the beach or swimming pool (at Fen bar, Turquoise or pizza restaurant). We ended up bringing a water bottle from our room, as we didn't want to waste our free water and purchase more drinks than necessary. Many good cocktails available too, most of them between 8 and 12 US dollars.

We tried the dinner buffet at Vela for US$ 75 per person (no charge for our daughter) and spent a total of $185 including drinks. I found that a bit steep as we do not eat much sea food (if you like sea food, it's great). All the (non-seafood) dishes tasted great though and the selection of desserts is excellent too. We also tried the Teppanyaki restaurant on the final night and the food there was extraordinary. Even though we had the most expensive item, the Wagyu beef grade 9 for two ($85), we still ended up spending less ($144 total) than at the dinner buffet. For a cheaper meal, the Turquoise restaurant has some good options and you can also order room service.

We liked the library, where we could get books and DVD's and use the computers. There was no kids club though.

Some (minor) issues:

- the bathroom of our bungalow was (partially) outside and open; although cute it means the bathroom is always really hot with lots of bugs (the first night I found a huge cockroach next to the sink)
- although they spray for mosquitoes, there were still a lot even though it was not the rainy season (I got bit 6 times in 3 minutes when attempting to eat on the terrace next to our bungalow so we went inside)
- some of the food prices are too high; the fact that they have to import is no excuse since the prices in e.g. Traders Male are much lower; the price for any kids meal was $18 and that is a lot for a small plate of pasta or some small nuggets with fries
- some of the dishes in the Turquoise were bad: the Nasi Goreng was the worst I've ever had in Asia or anywhere (no peanuts in the peanut sauce, dry chicken, bland rice), the Penne Arriabata had just plain tomato sauce (when we re-ordered it, they did make it much better, with spicy Arriabata flavor)
- staff gets a bit upset if you order a large Bonaqua water bottle (local water) in the Vela or Turquoise restaurants - at $6 per bottle. Instead they want you to buy the $7 Norwegian Voss water (I have no idea why they need Norwegian water here). If you push it, you do get Bonaqua...
- a lot of the reef is dead. If you swim a bit further into the ocean you get some reef with more fish.

Room Tip: Any bungalow here is nice. Even the garden rooms are just a 7 seconds-walk to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Velassaru Maldives? Share your experiences!