“Absolute relaxation in paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Meemu Atoll, 39498   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off all room rates
Prague, Czech Republic
“Absolute relaxation in paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

It was our dream vacation after a very long and busy working time. And it really was paradise. I´ll try to explain everything to help you to choose the right place in here.

You´ve read it in reviews before, transport from Male airport lasts about 40 minutes by seaplane. I was first worried about turbulences but it´s OK unless you fly into the storm (which happened to us and then the plane shakes like hell) :-). Remember that seaplane only goes when it´s light (so last flight departures around 3:30PM). Remember there is only 20 kg limit (plus 5 kg a hand luggage). We had around 10 kilograms overweight and were charged about 50 USD. We were greeted by the staff upon arrival to the Medhufushi Island, got a cocktail and cold towel to refresh ourselves. Our luggage were taken by the staff to our water villa and we were taken there by a golf car and the guest service man showed us the resort. It´s enough to know just your room number, everything charges to your room account. Please, take some change (1 USD banknotes). I guess that some of the staff deserves to be tipped because of their service that is just above everything. Remember that their base salary is about 150 USD a month and they do a whole day long. Tips are never expected and the service is always great, but the tipps are always appreciated and you are better remembered.

We had the water villa that I really recommend - sunset side is just great. In following lines I´ll try to say more about the resort and it´s positives to help you enjoy that the most.

Weather? I guess it´s still the same, 31 during the day, 28 during night. Very pleasant for everything.

Where to stay? Staying in water villa is definitely the best choice! If you can, choose a sunset side and end of the line. Yes, it´s about 5 minutes from the main restaurant and pool, but where to hurry here? You´re on the dream island! The walk in the morning or at night under the stars over the pier is just one of the most romantic parts, the way is lightened-up by small lights like a landing runway. Water villas are large, have excellent bathroom (tube, shower, WC and two wash-basins, safe, air-condition, air-fan..). There is a large terrace with direct steps to sea, two deck-chairs, table, chairs and swing. Water villa is also very private. We enjoyed sleeping with opened french-windows with the view to the sea, it was very romantic and we also avoided to use A/C which we dont like. You want to hear one reason why you should choose a water villa? Mosquitos and insects. We talked to many other guests who lived in beach villas - everyone told us the same. There are insects and bugs inside the bathroom and lots of mosquitos - no chance to sit at the terrace in the evening or even sleep with opened doors and windows. Or be prepare for that and take a repellent. It´s forrest, so it´s natural that insects are trying to hide inside. We did not have mosquitos in water villa - I guess it was because of the wind and distance from the island (all the villas are on the pier).

5 stars complaint as I read in some reviews? Oh stop it.You´re on the tropical paradise island, not in the middle of New York. Villas are from wood and natural materials. It´s not luxurious and it does not pretend to be - it´s stylish. We had all the service we needed. Remember also that Maldives have no price top - you can spend thousands of dollars in some resorts. I guess that Medhufushi is really worth the money and offers very good service.

Beach and water? You have to twig, this is Atoll - it means it has no hight waves, water is just splashing and you should know that. The sea is very calm. There is some sea grass which I understand and also lots of broken corals. It just belongs to all atolls and it is natural. Time to time you can see a bottle or packaging in the sea. It´s not because of the tourists, it´s because of the other islands are occupied by locals. They are just throwing the trash in the water and that is really sad. Please, don´t be blind and as you see something like that, take it and throw into the bin. It´s a paradise for all of us. Be prepared for lots of small crabs on the beach. They are afraid of you but if you walk, they run away just in front of you, really funny :-)

Pool? Really excellent! Clean water, very (!) attentive staff, always smiling and helpful. They always prepare you a towel on the deck-chair and bring anything to drink or eat.

Spa? It´s nice and pleasing. I just think that for 100 USD per person for 50 minutes massage it´s not worth the price, but you don´t take it every day, so OK :)

Food? The best part of our holiday. I have never had such a wonderful meals. It´s everything you can imagine! Breakfast, lunch or dinned - from eggs, all kinds of vegetable and meat, pastas, sushi, fruit, cakes, icecream. It is never the same, every day different. Loved it and loved their sushi! Just be prepared you put on some weight after this holiday :-) We were on all inclusive which includes all the meals and drinks (also alcoholic drinks) with the service at the pool (very nice). Only thing you have to pay for (if you want it) are the cocktails (17,80 USD per one). But nobody forces you to drink them. I also recommend to try at least once the ala-carte restaurant Malaafayi. This is real 5 star meal, I had a perfect tuna steak and my girlfriend very delicious pasta. Malaafayi is not in all inclusive package, but is worth the try. Again, if you like good and fresh food, don´t think a minute more and choose Medhufushi! All the staff is very helpful, smiling, and attentive. The only thing I´m afraid of is the capacity - by the time we were in Medhufushi (Dec 7- Dec 19) there were only 60 guests, but the capacity is 250. You can also use a room service if you want.

Snorkeling? You can snorkel just around the water villas and in about 150 meters from villas there is very nice coral reef with lots of fish (see our pictures we made around water villas). There is no deep water so you don´t have to be afraid. Take the snorkeling equipment with you, it´s better and you save a lot of money.

Free time activities? Well, we wanted to rest, so reading, sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling was just for us. The island offers other activities as well - fitness center, sports center (waterski, waterboard, motorboat), table tennis, billiard...and a dive center which we did not use and looked very expensive. Hotel organises many trips (snorkeling, dolphins watching, sunset fishing etc.). If you are on AI package (we were), you have 2 free trips - sunset fishing and island hopping. Sunset fishing is superb! Just avoid it if you have seasickness, waves are very hard sometimes. Anyway, almost everyone can catch a fish (staff will provide you with fishing rod and advice and help). You can then eat the fish you catch, they will prepare it for lunch or dinner the next day if you want. Island hopping is about visiting the local islands - nothing interesting for us, you just see the locals, which is quite dirty place and boring.

Internet connection? 15 USD per 12 hours or 100 USD for 7 days. There is wifi also in villas. Nothing fast, so just for checking emails. And if you buy a voucher, it can be used only on one computer at the time. I used a better option, see bottom tips.

Evening entertainment? Resort provides many evening atraction - local band, disco evening, crab race... one thing you should not miss? Sunset dinner at the beach. They provide you a single table on the beach, candles, flowers, private waiter - this is one of the most romantic things because you have the place just for you. Absolutely recommened!

The reception is 24/7 and they are really helpful, help you with everything you need and provide all the information. Before the day of your departure they leave a paper with all the important information and times. There is also one superb thing - management party on Thursday. It´s for the guests to meet the management and you can ask or give feedback and it´s always appreciated.

Tips that could help you enjoy it here based on our own experience? There you are:

All rooms are equipped with DVD player. I don´t think you would watch DVDs in the paradise, but remember that DVD player also plays MP3. Yiruma piano or Enya songs burned on CDs make the paradise romantic atmosphere absolutely perfect and you can spend the whole evening at the terrace hearing the water. Bring the CDs with you!

Don´t forget the repellent and sunbath and after sun lotion! There is just one shop on the island and the prices are insane - around 60 USD for a small sunbathing cream.

Bring candles! They make a romantic atmosphere and you can´t buy them in the shop (only a small tea ones for 15 USD a piece which is terrible).

Internet? On the airport in Male there are two mobile operator shops - Dhiraagu and Watanyia. Choose Watanyia in Medhufushi, they use 3G, Dhiiraagu is Edge only most of the time! Buy a prepaid simcard for around USD 22 and you get a 2,2 GB of data transfer and it´s valid for 30 days - very good! I put it into my iPad tablet and enabled tethering. Then I could connect with my laptop and mobile telephone at the same time. You can then throw the SIM card away after departure - it´s without any contracts.

I hope you will enjoy your Medhufushi holiday and I totally recommend the resort. It´s definitely worth the money. I will love to come back if we have a chance.

Room Tip: Choose a water villa, sunset side and end of the line if you have a chance. It´s worth the money (an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Equipment is great with tv, dvd player (good to watch a movie at night as there is not much to do after diner beside the vilu bar) and a...nespresso (so bring capsules!). The view from the villa is awesome! Sunset side can be seen as a plus. The food at the main resto is terrific! Half board is sufficient. Clean beaches and turquoise waters... Friendly and helpful staff. In brief, we recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

stayed here for honeymoon in Aug. water villa was lovely but water current was very strong and we were advised by staff not to swim as someone died year before!!
beach was full of dead coral and rubbish/seaweed. Unable to walk barefoot. Staff did clean it almost every morning but it seemed like a never-ending job.

we went scuba diving for the first time. guide was great.

Had a 'romantic' meal on the jetty - windy, expensive but nice.

The buffet food was great, plenty of options. came back a belt size larger!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I am a difficult traveller as i have a severe nut allergy, i am muslim so i don't eat pork or any food with alcohol. The chef came out to meet me personally every night and took me round the buffet to tell me what i could and couldnt eat. He would also personally prepare dishes for me and even made a dessert for me if theres had nuts. The staff great you with friendly faces every day and will literally bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. You get your money's worth here and more!

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

All the staff were extremely friendly and always smiling. We were half-board and found this to be ample after having a huge breakfast which kept us filled and satisfied till dinner. A person can never ever go hungry on this island. A special thanks to Johann in reception who went out of his way to help us with everything. In fact, all the staff in reception were always very helpful. And our waiter in the restuarant Mizahn who pampered our every whim. He remembered our likes and dislikes from day one and faithfully served our breakfasts and dinners. They had a hugh variety of dishes and not once had we had the same food. We stayed in a water- villa and it is highly recommended. Bedrooms were big and beds comfortable. We requested softer feather pillows and it was delivered to our room within minutes. The bathrooms were new and modern. Our veranda was where we spent most of our spare time watching the tortoise, fish and sand sharks. We could even do some snorkeling from our chalet. Managements had the sea-planes parked a distance from the resort so I have no idea why people complain about the noise. The ferry takes the guest out to the plane in the mornings. To the CEO...You did a great job training the staff. Well Done...Will definately stay there again

Room Tip: choose a sunset room
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We were there for our honeymoon in september. At first we have doubts to have bad weather conditions but when we got there we couldn't believe that everthing is just perfect! Meals are very delicious, staff are friendly and caring. Especially Kamal is great with his positive attitudes everytime :) just prefer to stay in water bungalow. It is amazing to wake up with the sound of the waves :) wish to be there again

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I've read many reviews written by different visitors of the island and although I do agree with much of the assessment. I do not agree with the ratings. I don't believe this place is a five-star, 4 at the very best. To earn a five star, you have to be exceptional, one of a kind. Well, the Medhufushi is great, but certainly not one of a kind.

We visited the island back in mid September 2013. it was a good time to visit the island, the weather was hot but still enjoyable. Overall we had a fantastic time. We stayed in the water villa (bungalow). The view was fantastic. Although we stayed on the side closest to the sea plane path, the noise didn't bother us too much. But you will hear it in the early morning at 6am. Request to stay on the other side of the island if this is an issue for you. The staff is very nice, there are many members who would go beyond their job duty to provide guests with excellent services. But there are a few who could take a few courses in customer service and relations.

We stayed at the island for about 6 days. This is the perfect amount of time. I think any less is a waste as we have to travel from the other side of the world to get to the island. We were quite bored by our last day, so any more would be too much in my opinion. You see, when you are on this island, you are stuck on this island and there are not too many things to do outside of the island. I've visited exotic islands like Tahiti before and there were plenty of things to do on the island (regardless which island) and then you can do island hopping to neighboring island for shopping, etc.. At Medhufushi, there is no such option. Their island hopping is simply to visit the two neighboring islands, not much of a tour and I was quite sad after the tour to be frank.

There are other water activities, such as jet skiing, parasailing, windsurfing, diving, snorkeling, etc... but they are all fairly expensive. Especially if you do group activities and they add up if you do one a day. Snorkeling is free but honestly al the corals are dead there are not much to see. The jet skiing was our favorite activity as we get to see turtles and stingrays.

The food is okay but expensive based on the quality of the food. There were six of us in our group and we all agree that the buffet serves the best food. They always have fresh fruits and juice at breakfast. We have half board accommodations so our breakfast and dinner buffet was included and we just had to pay for lunch. Our first night we arrived at 4pm and it was too early for dinner buffet, so we dined at the only restaurant that was opened. Food was okay but it was about $25 to $30 per dish. For that price, I expect exceptional food or a decent piece of steaks, I was disappointed. After the first day, for lunch, we just dine at the pool, where the food was decent and fairly cheap. Don't be surprised that drinks are fairly expensive, anywhere from $10 to $20 depending on drinks/shots.

There are plenty of ants on the island so just be aware and be prepared. Definitely bring insect repellants as suggested by many other visitors before.

If you do visit the gift store, be aware, most items are clearly marked but not all are. When we were there, we brought two bottles of sun block, but one was half empty. So he was afraid that was not enough, so we decided to buy one a the gift store. We were charged $51 for a sunblock. It was our fault for not checking the receipt clearly at the time of signing, thought it was $5. What was sad was that we ended up leaving the sunblock in the room when we left since it was unopened, so paying $51 for the sunblock that we never used. We tried to get a partial refund for this, but the hotel did not accommodate. I have to tell you I don't care what their reasoning is, it just not justifiable to overcharge such an important product. I don't mind if they overcharge on the booze, it's at least you have a choice to drink or not to drink. I guess you can say that is precisely why they overcharge, but I think that is bad business practice, there are many other places in the world that you can visit and would require sunblock, but certainly, they don't mark up the price 10 times.

In conclusion, I rate this hotel a 4 because they have excellent staff, good food, good accommodations, good location, etc... but certainly far from being a five-star resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Medhufushi Island Resort? Share your experiences!