“Fihalhohi, Paradise revisited” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |     |
England
“Fihalhohi, Paradise revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

My wife and I discovered the Maldives 6 years ago and have been going there ever since, sometimes 2 or 3 times each year.
We usually like to try different islands but found Fihalhohi has everything we want from a holiday.
The first time we went to Fihalhohi was 4 years ago and can say it was just about average compared to the other islands we had been to.
We went back to Fihalhohi in May and August/September this year and as per my previous review last year and could not believe the difference.
There are a couple of things that would be nice to see changed/upgraded, mattresses and pillows as they are very hard, the bathrooms are still looking a little old and tired. It would also be nice to have some recognition by the island managers for returning guests, this was felt by many returning guests I spoke with from Germany, Italy and France.
If you like to get out and about there are many boat trips to inhabited islands, holiday islands, fishing trips, sunset trips etc.
If you are a scuba diver like my wife and I you will not be disappointed, the house reef is great by day and amazing at night and the dive sites are wonderful. At the moment a 2m Lemon shark has setup home on the south reef and is very comfortable with divers and snorklers. If you snorkel there is lots to see, if you don’t snorkel this is great place to start. For those who are not very good in water the dive centre have floatation vest you can hire, you can also hire snorkelling equipment if you don’t have your own (the dive centre staff are fantastic, they are always happy to help and give advice, to divers and non-divers). There are also lots of water sports activities and a spa centre.
We have been to 9 islands of various ratings and can honestly say Fihalhohi is by far the best and we will be returning.
I would also like to mention Zita the island holiday Rep for First Choice/Thomson as she is fantastic and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

First time to the Maldives i didn't know what to expect, being a place id only ever seen in brochures and on t.v, so to actually experience it for myself was brilliant and it certainly delivered. The lush paradise of the islands and sunset backdrop is what id consider to be a place to visit with a partner or spouse and as i was holidaying with and old friend you do feel a little bit out of place, especially with all the sparkling wedding rings on the flight out there was deffinatley and indication this is honeymooners heaven.

Fiahalhohi, in my opinion is that a downside to it's island is that there is NO pool, i knew this before going, but its funny how you do miss one, so theres only the ocean or shade to rely on to cool off, if i'd got kids i don't think i'd entertain going to the maldives as a place to holiday just through lack of things for them to do day/night and obviously without a pool and especially on this island, its very limited, a 14 night stay got a little tedious for me so god knows how children go on.

Weather was beautiful for the first 10 days, though bearing in mind i knew what season it was i thought it was too good to be true, the 11,12 &13th days were very overcast, hazey, cloudy and rainy, which pretty much isolates you to your room, no t.v to pass time, you have the art of conversation, reading and any travel game you packed in the event of such weather to rely on, i read a review on here once that the weather forecast that reception printed off was very accurate, hmmmm, i beg to differ, anyway, the last day made up for the 3 miserable days and anyone who says you get a tan in the shade are talking out of there backside!

Food, yes it could have been repetative, but only if you stuck to eating the same thing, if you tried diff things which is what holidays are all about then there was choice, to me it was the deserts that didint vary enough, it wasnt 5* dining but you dont pay 5* prices, enough said.

The staff can look a little glum, some more than others, if you talk then they will talk, some go out of there way, some will not and i thought some inparticular gave other nationalities different treatment, like in the restaurant, noticed some had there chairs pulled out when being seated and drinks waiting, little things like that i noted, did'nt bother me it just helped me make my mind up what sort of tip to give them.

The First Choice rep, what a total waste of airplane seat she is, this is my one possible gripe, the Rep, Zita!! she has two resorts to look after, Fihalhohi (i use the words 'look after' loosely) and another island club faru, fihalhohi is in the south malé atoll 50 minutes away from the airport, club faru in the north malé atoll 10 minutes from Malé airport, now Zita's accomodation resides on, go on have a guess?!? you got it Club faru with it's pool and all inclusive option and poor fihalhohi has to fend for itself out in the sticks somewhere, Zita doing all her rep duties and this i mean by the odd telephone call and faxed letters signed by her, posted by the islands staff as though shes hand posted them under your accomadation door herself! so fihalhohi staff have to conduct the welcome meetings, any queries you have, complaints, upgrades etc by them self, they get the job done, not the best english speakers in the world, sometimes you just have to nod and smile and hope for the best, but this isnt the point, this island lacks a rep BADLY and boy did i fill in the lovely little questionaire on the plane on the way home, i suggested maybe the rep to alternate weeks on the 2 islands, anyway i'd love to see if they do somehting as apparantly they listen to their customers, we shall see.

The water bungalows are lovely, spacious, private (apart from the bath/shower lol) noisey at night when its high tide, air con isnt as powerful as the comfort rooms so can be one way or the other at night too hot or too cold, pillows are rock hard and only with a sheet, where as the comfort rooms had alot nicer pillows and a quilted throw on the beds, they was called comfort for a reason i thought. The rooms was cleaned daily and sheets turned down and fannied about with into little arty positions, though i have to say the further into the holiday the lazier the room boy got, especially the evening one, no tip for him! the luggage guys deserved a tip, especially with my case as i was over my allowance and carrying over their head sand under foot they desevered a cold drink afterwards.

The speedboat transfer was pleasent, didint mind it at all, least liked it on the way back home for obvious reasons, you share the boat with staff obviously going home or to the Malé

Wi-fi in the hotel was good, was able to use it no probs, though maybe if it was around the island and not in certain places would have been even better, prices was reasonable also, especially to keep intouch with life back home as mobile charges were ridiculously big, i was given 5 hours of wi-fi by the receptionist for $8 i think a fault on his bahalf but i was complaining :)

Would i return here? no, only because the worlds a big place and theres lots more places i want to visit, would i recommend this resort, errrrm, i want to say yes but id go with a no purely because if it was this time last year id probably book an all inclusive in the maldives instead, as this hotel only does full board and obviously the POOOOOOL lol but i still loved my maldives experience, maybe return one day with my partner this next and try a different resort...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
pufferfish-vakaru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We have just returned from our second visit to Fiha having stayed there last year and we are really pleased we went back. This was our 8th time in the Maldives and usually we like to try a different Island each year but we found Fiha offered us everything we ever wanted from our time in paridise.

Both visits we stayed in the Water Bungalows which are really lovely but some times difficult to get any sleep if the waves are a little rough but otherwise delightful - would recommend to all, we have as much tea and coffee included in the room and they are cleaned and sheets turned down every morning and evening.

The food is really good still with loads of choice and plenty of it - I am aware of some people complaining of the menu being very repetative but there is enough choice to have something different each meal time - also some people say the staff do not smile!! well maybe they do not smile and chat with them as we had a great waiter named Hassan and every day he would get us some ice for our water on the table and we chatted each meal time so all you have to do is talk first!!!

The snorkling is superb, the local house reef is buzzing with the most amazing fish, moray eels, black and white tip sharks (5ft) turtles and thousands of beautifully coloured fish - the sea is a little rough on this island and the mornings is usually the calmer time to swim/snorkle but anytime is good. The beach is lovely although this year I did find I had to speak to reception about clearing the debris washed up on the beach as last year it was done every day so do not hesitate to go and ask them to do it.

My only complaint is that the price we paid with First Choice has gone up since last year and again for next year (2011) and unfortunately this is not by the resort but by First Choice (£1100 in total) - the problem will be that if no improvements are made on the Island in the next few years, the cost will not justify the quality of the holiday. On saying that, we will hopfully be returning there again soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

It has all been said before but I feel that I need to say something about this beautiful island. We visited 2 years ago for 1 week. This wasn't enough and I felt foolish being in tears on the boat on the return journey to the airport. This time we visited for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time.
Last time we stayed in a bungalow. This was brilliant and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a romantic holiday. It is a little scary at night if there is a storm, though. This time we stayed in a comfort room which was clean and adequate. Although I didn't like the smell of stale smoke in the room. The air conditioner was brilliant-too good!
We had a totally different experience being on the island rather than a water bungalow- I would say we missed out being in the bungalow because you see so much wildlife (I finished my holiday by getting bat faeces all over my white dress-lovely.)
We snorkelled for about 3 hours a day. Fantastic reef- 4-5 foot shark, eels, turtles, stingrays being some of the highlights. many of the islands don't have their own house reef.
The island is eroding which is very sad. They have also started to recycle which is good but they burn their rubbish in the evening and it can get very smoky-this is the only way for them to get rid of their rubbish. YOU ARE ASKED TO TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME WITH YOU. This is worth mentioning because I don't think they make it clear enough and more people should know on arrival. With this in mind maybe Thomson should allow a little more weight in the suitcases.

This island is wonderful and I love it for what it hasn't got. I have been looking for a holiday for next year. For the price you pay for Fihalhohi it is hard to find anything as wonderful.

Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

If you are looking to get away from it all then visit Fihalhohi!
My partner and I have just returned from 2 weeks holiday, and we loved it!
REVIEW:
Island: A lovely small island. Blue sea and sky, palm trees - lovely! Clean - swept daily. Few mossies. Some random island wildlife: Bats, Storks, and a Parrot and a Cat
Beach - Just White sparking sands, most people hang out on the North west corner of the island as you get a deeper stretch of beach here- any coral or anything that may hurt your tootsies is removed by about 7.30am
Snorkelling - As a first time snorkeller at any decent location, I loved it! And the main reef is the most amazing sight I've seen. I can see why people get addicted
Accommodation - We stayed in a WB, and were really pleased we paid the extra. They are really spacious - more so than any picture gives credit for. The view is amazing - you never get bored, and most importantly for us, you gain a certain level of privacy that you just don't get with the other accommodation avail. With only the odd snorkeller swimming by that can view your room. We passed very close to other rooms on our way to the restaurant on an evening. A couple of things - the WB have a stereo (with CD, radio and Aux point), hairdryer, fridge, Kettle and tea and coffee.
Restaurant - The menu is rotated every fortnight. Every day there is a pasta option, a curry and rice, a potato, a vegetable, a meat and a fish option. If you put some of everything on your plate, then I guess it would be quite repetative - however I didn't each the same meal twice (apart from the different curries as they were lovely!)
Service - Very respectful and polite, in an informal way. It was nice as the staff warmed to you as the holiday went on - as you got to know them. The hotel rep was good - very approachable.
Shop - You can get basic toilettries, ciggs, snacks, snorkelling stuff and normal tourist tat for gifts. Very expensive for the stuff you NEED, reasonable for the tat.
Spa - Enjoyed this so much. and spent too much money here! Really nice staff and very professional. HIgh quality massages, in an amazing location. There 'special deal' just doesn't make mathematical sense. You would have to work really hard to save money on it!
Bar - Good service, London prices, Sit under a fan at the main bar, or sit on the beach at the Blue Lagoon beach bar watching the stars
Entertainment: Was....entertaining! Don't come here for the entertainment. It made you smile although I'm unsure that was its intent. We did take part in crab racing and Bingo - both of which I would recommend doing once over your stay - no more.
Flight - We went with Thomson airways - terrible, terrible terrible. Worst flight I have ever been on. That's all I'm saying about that.
Boat transfer - It took about an hour to get there on quite choppy water, and 45mins on our return on calmer waters.
ADVICE:
Take a torch - we bought one for the holiday on the advice of other travellers and are glad we did. It is dark when all the beach villas aren't taken.
Take small dollars to tip - There is no tension or obligation to tip, but do so when you find appropriate - use the advice on this site.
The service charge of the bar and restaurant is 10% which is added on to bill when you come to pay. Make sure you factor this in.
Pay off your bill half way through the holiday - it lets you know whether you were carried away at the spa!
Don't pack too much, there's a laundry service avail, and don't pack shoes. We didn't put our feet in a pair of shoes for 2 weeks.
Take twice as much sun lotion as you think you'll need - Its about $25 for 100ml for lotion. So don't run out!
Take a snorkel and fins - even if you have never tried Snorkelling before - again the prices in the shop are very expensive, but you just can't miss the reef. I swam with a sea turtle, and you just can't miss that opportunity.
And ......relax

cumbria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Firstly let me say like many people who use trip advisor I find it an invaluable source of information to help me choose the hotel for my chosen destination which is why I preffer reveiws based on hard facts rather than personal likes or dislikes as we are all diffrent and our expectations are varied.

Transport
This was by thompson out of manchester we had chosen and paid £190 extra for exit seats
having traveled to egypt two weeks previously and been given bulk head seats on a mid flight plane ( highly uncomfortable ) I had told my travel agent under no circumstances was I prepared to travel in bulk head seats long haul.
After a phone call to thompsons i was assured our seats were deffinatly exit legroom seats.
On departure we were informed thompsons had changed planes so instead of the extra leg room more pitch of any airline they sell there long haul holidays with we got the same mid range crampt little plane we had traveled to egypt on and yes you guessed it the same two crampt bulk head seats i was assured i would not be getting

According to the flight attendant, This is getting to be more of an occurance since thompson aquired first choice so you can no longer rely on traveling in the comfortable way they promote their long haul holidays.

Transfer
This was a 40 minute speed boat ride a little bumpy so if you have back problems it may be wiser to choose the back of the boat.

Arrival.
Greeted with a smile and a coconut which although better than the syrup drinks you normaly get on arrival in most hotels if they had chilled them in the fridge beforhand they would have been a lot nicer and the cold towel was most wellcome.

Accomodation
Check in was easy and our bags were taken to our room which although they are basic were what we had expected. no TV and simply furnished .
There were no kettles in the rooms but we had taken our own travel kettle and tea coffee milk ect so that was not a problem.

Acting on a tip we had read on another review we took water purifier tablets and a couple of bottles of high concentrate no sugar juice a must if your diabetic like me as the juices from the bar are full of sugar.
You can not really taste the tablets in the water and the water from the taps was fine for tea and coffee.
Believe me it was far better than spending the couple of hundred dollars just on water alone.

Water Bungalows
We upgraded when one became available I have to say I have stayed in the maldives 4 times befor and have stayed in water bungalows 3 of those times and although nice in comparison to the normal rooms they have the worst lay out of any of them. in my opinion

They consist of a main room which has a large four poster style bed taking up most of the room to the left an open kitchen desk area and to the right as you come into the room a through dressing area into a pleasent bathroom.
Some people would disagree and say they are wonderfull but i thought it was a bad lay out preffering a seperate bedroom and lounge area but again thats my preffrence and not meant as a critasism ,
I had not looked at a bungalow befor upgrading but if i had i think my preffrence would have been that I kept our normal room straight onto the beach.

Food and Drink
Drink ranged from reasonable to expensive depending on what you drank it would not be hard run up a bill of several hundred pounds on drinks alone two bottles of wine with the tax could set you back almost $50 dollars and two cocktails in the region of $15 dollars
Spirits are expensive and served by very strict measure.

The food was repetative and often rehashed and although I know some people might disagree but for me was the worst I have had in the maldives yes you can always find somthing I do not eat fish however there was always fresh fish or fish curries, Also there was beef on most days but it was always tough.
There were a couple of nice dishes and the fresh chapatis were the best i have ever tasted but a lot of the time it reminded me of canteen food filling but lacking in taste .
The sweets were nice but almost the same thing every day or for variation the old sweet rehashed into some thing else..

The Island
The island is beautiful and just how you would picture a maldavian island and the snorkeling is as good as you could get any where in the maldives It has a magnificent House reef
my first trip out brought me face to face with the large local reef shark they have there.

You can walk all around the island in about 10 mins It does have a small shop on the island but it had few essentials but lots of over priced gifts tee shirts ect.

The Spa
I did not use it so cant comment

The Staff
I have kept this untill last due to the mixed feelings
Most of the staff were friendly polite and very helpfull we had a problem with our air conditioning and it was resolved quickly in fact I got on very well with most of the staff nothing was too much trouble on the down side however on a few occasions the room boys did not do our room
The only thing that let the staff down was that they have a thief in their midst we had £80.00 stolen and about $30 this is the first time i have ever had any thing stolen in the maldives and i would have put money on it being one of the few places in the world your valubles would be safe so unfortunatly my own fault not using the free room safe supplied.

Considering the price this is an excellent island to chill out and relax and unwind and is very good value for money if they were to upgrade the rooms with TVs ect and do somthing about the food it could easily be made into a four star resort with the staff they have and the natural attractions such as the reef

The wifi is ok but not the fastest and at $8 dollars an hour not the cheapest
Buy a local payup front dongle $65.00 dollars with 4GB usage its almost as fast and you can use the internet in your room as opposed to just the bar and lounge area
Also a local chip for your mobile costs $3 dollars you can get it from the business center in male airport top up cards can be bought for $8 dollars beats paying £1.00 incoming call and £1.70 to make an out going call with your british mobile sim

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

My husband and I Stayed at this island at the end of April for 2 weeks,we traveled with First Choice flying Thompson Airways no delays very quick transfer from Male. We have been to 9 other islands over the last 10 years, including The Banyan Tree , Ansagna, Filitheyo and our personal favourite Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu plus others. Our financial situation has changed and we thought we would try a budget island, to be honest take away the luxury and you have essentially the same thing, outstanding beauty, great house reef, sand as soft as icing sugar, good food and lovely staff ,this is such an amazing part of the world. People who come here must think about what they have paid before writing bad reviews. We had a classic room all of these rooms are on the best part of the beach where it is very wide with the reef a short swim away,we were given clean towels daily and the room was large very clean but basic.
They have some of the tallest palm trees in The Maldives here, and the gardeners are more than happy to cut the tops off the coconuts for you to have a refreshing drink!
We are very late writing this reveiw and we would like to say "hello" to the girls at The Spa we bought a 5 hour package which we shared, theShiatsu and Balanese come highly recomended, also "Hello" to the 2 guys on reception they were always so helpfull smiley and had great humour !
Only down side no cushions on the sun beds so take lilos.
All in all for a cheap Maldive natural experience, no news, no shoes we would highly recomend this small very lovely island, go before they change it as so many are being turned into high tech hotels thats not what we like, Robinson Crusoe with a few luxuries is what we love about The Maldives a place to escape unwind and find peace, this island will give you just that.
Yoga Viv & Steve

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fihalhohi Tourist Resort? Share your experiences!