“Christmas Paradise..” 5 of 5 stars

25% off room rate
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas Paradise..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have just returned from 7 nights in a Lagoon Villa at Coco Palm and I simply cannot rate highly enough this outstanding Spa resort.
Arriving at Male airport 3 hour late thanks to poor weather in Istanbul, we were met by Coco Palm's own staff and they took our bags and us to check in for the seaplane transfer. Within an hour of landing, we were in the air again and 35 minutes later, met on the island and escorted straight to our villa (98) in the Lagoon.
The villas are spacious and comfortable, well equipped (an iPod dock was installed on day 2, part of an upgrade across the villas), with WiFi connection (you need patience for this!), a lovely bathroom and deck with a small plunge pool. We had no complaints or issues with the accommodation or housekeeping services.
We went all inclusive, not cheap, but then again, we didn't expect it to be, and with prices in US$ quite steep, we believe we got value for money from this deal, spending exactly nothing on drink and food throughout.
Buffet food for 3 meals a day in the Cowrie restaurant was fantastic, they have 22 chefs on site and it shows, from beautiful pastries and frech bread at every meal, to a wide variety of meats, fish and salads every day - we never struggled to find variety or good quality. The 3 'live' cooking stations meant whenever you turned up to eat, it was freshly prepared how you wanted it.
Much has been written about the sand and beaches, erosion is clearly an issue and opinion (amongst the staff) is divided on the solution. They are white bags used across the resort, but simply, if your very existence as a resort island depends on sandy beaches - you need to make sure you actually have one! We never found them a problem, sure a little unsightly, but a necessary evil.
Staff were always courteous and friendly, they got to know individuals by name so quickly and latched on to your preferences and likes.
Departure was early for us, a 7.00am seaplane back to Male, but they collected our luggage at 6.00am and a continental buffet breakfast and staff were in place for the 7 of us leaving early that day - great service.
We loved our stay here, would absolutely return or try their sister resort and would like to thank the staff and management for their outstanding service and standards

Room Tip: Lagoon Villas are lovely, we faced out to the ocean (98) and with steps into the lagoon and local sm...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Host D, General Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear valued guests,
Greetings from Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu.
Thank you very much for taking some time and post your excellent comment on tripadvisor.
About your concern regarding erosion, a natural phenomen, no miracle solution as been found yet in Maldives, white sand bags are at the moment a temporary solution to keep some sand beach without stopping the normal natural beach movement and also keeping the marine life in our lagoon.
We hope to see you again at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu or Coco Palm Bodhu Hithi !
Sincerely
your host
Peter D'Souza

756 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Five star rating = Amazing Holiday - You will not be dissapointed with this resort.
Stayed from 16th Dec - 27th Dec 2012

As soon as we arrived in Male we were whisked off to the Coco Palm lounge at the Sea Plane terminal. This was a little taste of what was to come....
The Seaplane ride was approx 35 mins and was an exhilarating experience. We were greated by the coco palm staff with a fresh towel and a warm welcome.
The island immediately blew me away withe the outstanding beauty and the almost fluorescent white sand.
Before arriving at the island, I did some research on the villa locations and I e-mailed specifying beach villa 11. We were shown to this villa and we were not disappointed. It was a nice distance to the beach and was on the smooth waters of the lagoon (sunset side). The decor is natural eco in design and huge thatched roofs create a airy spacious feel. We had a bottle of wine and fruit provided as part of the honeymoon package, with free excursions such as a sunset cruise, thai restaurant dinner and a fishing trip.
The first day I saw approx 6 dolphins and a manta ray in the shallows and many sting rays and reef sharks throughout the 10 nights of our stay. The island is buzzing with wildlife, whether it is the crabs scuttling on the walkthroughs or the fruit bats and loud chirping birds.
I took particular attention to note some staffs names who exceeded our expectations throughout our stay....
Abu and Humaid on the Beach Bar - Always provided conversation and smiles (Abu sending us video footage of the dolphin in the shallows a couple of weeks prior to our arrival) which was exciting to see.
Kabir - Chef, who was always greeting us in the evenings at the main restaurant and happy to help us with whatever food we wanted.
Sanee - Conch Bar. Who paid special attention to bringing us nuts every evening when realising we didn't like the banana chips :)

We booked the picnic at the private island (approx 6 minutes away by speedboat) and was an unforgettable experience. The island was beautiful, complete with a fantastic Maldivian picnic and typical Maldivian style home with bed / toilet / shower / lounge area - this was beautiful.
There were many reef sharks and interesting looking crabs. we spent over 5 hours and did not get bored. There was lots to see.
I highly recommend this experience (including 16% tax, was approx = $250)
When the BBQ evening is $100 per person, you cannot compare to a private island for a day!

The only point I could find a fault (and i'm trying hard) is that there was no elaborate display on our bed each day. There were pretty flowers scattered some mornings - but I've seen pictures from other resorts with honeymoon written and fancy towel displays. But this is hardly a problem!!

Tip to other travellers - We went All Inclusive and this worked out to be great value for money (We certainly drank enough cocktails!) At $20 a go for cocktails, it can get quite expensive, cheapest bottle of wine $40....etc
Also - if you are all inclusive, don't order drinks from your sunbed....My husband got a little hot under the collar when he realised they cost us $40> when at the beach bar they were free (some few meters away) :)

To top it off - this is a fabulous resort with 5*+ service. Staff are always willing to help with whatever you require. We met many couples who had been back - one who were on their fourth visit, so must be doing something right.
I would like to come back to this island, but as there are so many other resorts - I would like to experience an alternative place in the Maldives before revisiting.

Thanks Coco Palm for an unforgettable Honeymoon

x

Room Tip: Sunset side is on the lagoon and I found this was best for sunbathing (sun came round at 10 ish in t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Gemma Garner,
It's a great compliment for the whole team to have made your holiday at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu an unforgettable honeymoon ! We thank you very much for your post on tripadvisor.
It's true that our Sunset Beach Villas are the best for sunbathing, and also offer splendid sunset view points.
We noted your concern about the drinks and we would like to inform that our All Inclusive package will offer soon to our guests the drinks at the beach bar until 16:30 hrs.
You experienced during your stay one of our most amazing activity we offer, the private picnic on a desert island. A fabulous day with an paradise island only for you, Robinson Cruose style. This experience can even be prebooked in advance and you can also spend a romantic BBQ dinner on our desert island or even an overnight !
Thank you again Mrs. Gemma Garner. We wish you many other trips to Maldives and Abu, Humaid, Kabir, Sanee and the team are looking foward to seeing you again at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu !
Sincerely
Your host
Peter D'Souza
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu for our 25th Silver Wedding Anniversay. We had the most wonderful holiday ever! The Island is just stunningly beautiful, and we loved how natural it was and that you could walk around in bare feet all of the time.

We were alocated beach villa 26 and loved the location, and when we walked out onto the beach their was a dolphin in the lagoon there to greet us....it certainly felt very special.

The room is rustic with a very natural feel. Perhaps you could argue the wooden trims and furniture could do with a lick of varnish as they were starting to look a little tired, overall the room was lovely and we loved the seclusion of the villas. The outdoor bathroom is a treat which we loved. Never had a problem with bugs out there, a few lizards perhaps from time to time.

The beauty and nature had us gripped from day one. each night thr fruit bats would fly in and we hd the priviledge of seeing a mum with her baby in her wing, magic. We loved nothing more than walking around the island two or three times a day and admire the beauty, of the turquoise occean and taalcum powder sand. Baby sharks accompanied us each day which was a treat.

We went snorkelling every day and the reef was easily accessible and we saw loads off fish, Manta, Turtle, Sharks (they never bothered you), and lots of pretty reef fish too.

The staff at the resort were just so lovely. The chefs at the cooking stations always were so welccoming. They allowed my husband to cook his stir fry with extra extra chill. We were also priviledgedd to have a behind the scened tour of the kitchen...which are spotless. From the greeting staff to our waiters, to the gardeners and beach cleaners, everyone was hospitable.

We managed to go scuba diving too and the dive school was excellent and I loved that they assisted you with your equipment.

We loved Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu so much that we are returning in May 2013! and we cannot wait. Not only us but we are returning with two other couples our very good friends, so they can experience the wonder and delights of this beautiful island. I am so excited about our visit I could burst!

Really looking forward to seeing the beauty of this fabulous island and wiggling my toes in the sand for two whole weeks!

Granville and Jill Kelly

Travelled in May 2011

Room Tip: Rooms on the lagoon side have a lovely wide beach, rooms on the reef side are quieter. I like all th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Host D, Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Seasons Greetings from Coco Palm Family

We thank you for such beautifual comment posted on trip advisor and glad to know that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. indeed dhunikolhu has been well know for its natural beauty in as well as off the island with beautiful and colorful fishes giving you company while snorkelign or diving!

I have shared your comments with our team and all of us are glad that we shall see you back in May 2013.

Looking forward to welcoming you,your family and friends back to our little paradise.

Sincerely your's

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The island is a tropical paradise (albeit the beach no longer looks like the pictures on the website - the beach has eroded very badly at the top and bottom of the island, and many villas have almost no beach left).

Beware of the sea-plane transfers - our was late due to poor weather, and when we were dumped at Male airport after our flight had already left, we were then expected to arrange our own flights home, at a cost of nearly £3,000 for 4 of us. Nobody there will accept liability or refund the cost of the flights. It turns an expensive holiday into an extortionate holiday.

The food is nice though!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Seasons Greetings from Coco Palm Family

We thank you for your post and comments in trip advisor.

Its unfortunate that you missed your international flight due to bad weather and as mentioned in booking clause neither party takes repsonsibilty in delays due to bad weather.

As per your discussion and agreement with our deputy GM then, we are glad that you have come to amicable solution for your next visit with us.

We look forward to welcome you, your family and friends in our little paradise.

Sincerely your's

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

As I was starving for sun and Maldives, I decided last minute to try Coco Palm even if I was on my own (usually there are only couples). I did not regret it one second. The transfer from the airport was very pleasant with a nice lounge in Male which already gives the holiday feeling. The seaplane transfer is always a pleasure.

I was warmly welcomed by the staff. My room was just at the beach and on the reef side which is what I wanted. I could watch the ocean from my bed. It was the perfect place as I was in the water as soon as I woke up. This side had all day a little breeze which is really pleasant and allowed me to take more sun than I would usually support. There are also long chairs on the other side of the island in case you want some change. I was going there for the sunset and enjoyed the lagoon in the evening. When you walk on the beach, fishes start to follow you, when you swim, they join you. At the reef, it's the typical magic multitude of fishes of all colours. There was also a shark passing by and turtles.

I liked the simple and elegant decoration of the room. Sometimes, the pressure in the shower was very low but beside this, all was perfect. The housekeeper was really nice, respectful and discrete but happy to talk if I wanted.

There was a free 15 min back massage at the spa offered after the arrival and I truly enjoyed it before sleeping and recover from the trip. I then went for a "healing journey" massage with Mery and it was wonderful. My body was relaxed and energised from head to toes. So I booked again the same massage with Mery few days later and she managed to get all old tensions out of my body. There is also yoga and meditation which I find great to do in Maldives as the natural energy is maximal.

I was on B&B. All the restaurants are really nice and quite big so you don't feel that there are many people. The breakfast buffet is just great with a large variety of food, fruits and juices. All other meals and juices I had were excellent.

As mentioned by the other travellers, there is some erosion and sand bags in some parts of the island but you don't "see" them any more once you enjoy the other beauties of the island. The internet connection was truly slow but it was then beneficial to keep my computer closed.

I was lucky to meet really nice people so at the end I was not alone at all.
All the staff is really nice and I felt pampered all the time.

I'm already looking forward to go back !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Host D, Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Isabelle,

Greetings from Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu.

Thank you very much for chossing to stay with us and sharing such beautiful comments about your stay and experiences on trip advisor.
We are glad that you truly enjoyed our healing journey experience with Mery, we have recently completed training and refresher with Themae products and have incorporated new treatments in our selection of spa treatments.

I apologize for the low water pressure and internet connection and have made a note for my personal follow.

We trully look forward to welcome you,your family and friends in our little paradise soonest.

Sincerely yours

Your Host
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from 14 blissful hights on this island for our honeymoon, we stayed in a Deluxe bungelow (no. 66) which was a fantastic location. The beach was beautiful and wasn't at all crowded as people sunbathe outside their villas which are far enough apart to still give some feeling of seclusion.
There is quite a lot of erosion on some parts of the island which is being countered with sand bags which don't look very nice but they are a necessity if the island is to remain so it needs to be accepted.
The restaurants were very good, there was always a good choice of food whether it be starters, mains or puddings in the Cowrie which was buffet style.
The Cornus was a la carte and table service, the food wasn't vastly different from the Cowrie but the atmosphere was more intimate.
We couldn't fault the staff, they always greeted us warmly. Razi the restaurant manager was always there with a smile and a hand shake.
I was pleasantly surprised to find I could walk everywhere without wearing any shoes (including the restaurants) so girls that should lighten your suitcases a little!
We indulged ourselves with a spa treatment each which was a loabi loabi massage which really helped with unwinding and wasn't too expensive for what it was.
Pricing in general was average for food although the credit we could have used in the Cornus restaurant if not eating in the Cowrie wouldn't have paid for much of the meal - we decided to go half board rather than all inclusive as the jump in price seemed astronomical.
Drinks were a little expensive but as we aren't big drinkers we didn't spend that much.
All in all we loved our holiday and the resort but I think we'd try a different island if we go back to the Maldives. Mainly as there are so many to choose from and if what the experts say is true, the islands won't be around for too much longer!!!

Room Tip: The deluxe bungelows are situated on the quieter side of the island (not that its noisy) and any roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Raffaele S, Manager at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for such wonderful comments and feedback on trip advisor. we are delighted that you enjoyed your honeymmon.we are equally concerned about erosion which is natural phenomena and try to keep the island as natural as possible.I have shared your comments with out culinary team and the rest and specially with Razi who always strives to excel in every little thing he does.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to our paradise

Sincerely Your Host

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I visited in October for 2 weeks of sun and relaxation.

We booked a standard beach villa which did not disappoint. It was room 2 on the lagoon side of the island. The room was very spacious and the bed comfortable (I warn you it is a hard bed). The toilet and shower are both outside (not a great fan of that in truth). The shower pressure was a bit weak but considering they desalinate their own water I can overlook that. During the first 3 days the toilet blocked each day but they came quickly to unblock it and finally sent some workmen to fix it and it never blocked again. We also had to fight with a crab that had somehow got itself into or loo and did not want to get out! The room felt very private. The beach beds were fine and we had the advantage of sight of the Lagoon Bar so it was easy to order drinks when wanted.

The beaches and surrounding seas are glorious, although natural beach erosion is causing issues at the resort and so they are deploying ugly sandbags around the beaches. Even though the hotel was full it never felt busy and you could sit for hours and not see a soul. We went snorkeling each day and saw a huge variety of fish and some turtles. Some other guests also spotted dolphins and reef sharks.

The main buffet restaurant was very nice with a huge variety of foods available 3 times a day. We were full board so all food in this restaurant were included. We also had drinks in the bar a couple of evenings but they were very quiet as the hotel was full of honeymooners.

You could pay extra and eat in the a la carte restaurant. We did this 3 times and it was a bit mixed as sometimes the food was average and others excellent. Note of warning though that the trees above the open air part of the restaurant have a lot of fruit bats in them. We had bat droppings on our table twice whilst eating and one guest had a direct hit on her shoulder!

The staff were all very nice without fail.

We did the dolphin trip, manta ray swimming (Awesome!!!) and the reef swimming trip. All were excellent and we enjoyed them

Now for the not so good bits.

The drinks are astronomically expensive. They give you a free litre bottle of water every day for 2 of you but in that heat you need a lot more all at $3 a bottle. They non alcoholic drinks start at $5 each and the alcoholic drinks are stupidly expensive. They do have an all inclusive option but I heard guest say that you can only use it by phoning the bar so it was not very practical. I felt cheated by this hotel as the drinks extras for our 2 weeks ran into several hundreds of dollars and you can't exactly go anywhere else!!

We also did a trip to a desert island for snorkeling for a few hours and a picnic lunch. The island we were dropped on looked stunning from a distance but when we got off the boat we were handed black rubbish bags and asked if we could pick up any rubbish we found. Well the island was strewn with rubbish including lots of broken glass buried in the sand. Basically it was too dangerous to wander around the island due to the glass. When we finally got back to the hotel I complained and was told that nobody owned the island and that was why the beaches were dirty. I personally feel that if the hotel want to charge people to go there they should use some of that money to pay for its cleaning. I did get a refund.

All in all I did enjoy this hotel but feel that there are so many beautiful places in the world to visit that are better value for money that I would not go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Coco Palm Family

We appreciate and thank you for your time in writing your experience and feedback in trip advisor, we have shared your valuable suggestions and notes with the team. We apologizes in regards to the desert island trip the excursion is called Walk and snorkel on wild side of Maldives. After 20 minutes of snorkeling our guest will visit to Medhufnolhu island which is 45 min away from resort. The three islands are joined by sandbank when we get to this island we inform the guest about the garbage issue in the next two island and offer them to help us as part of our environment initiative.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you, your family and friends in our little paradise.

Sincerely your Host

Peter D’souza

Been to Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu? Share your experiences!