“Honeymoon paradise” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |     |
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon here, and I cannot recommend this place enough. We stayed in the Escape Water Residences, with a reef lagoon just at our doorstep. It was amazing. I could go on mooning over this place forever but I'll get to business and point out the facts
- Beach with white sand, absolutely breathtaking. Island and surrounding area is completely clean, guests are encouraged to play a role in protecting the environment and so do the staff. My entire stay there and I barely witnessed any litter anywhere.
- Meals are amazing. I'm an asian with a taste for flavourful food, and the food served on this island is heaven. There were variations of all cuisines at the buffet dinner. We stayed there for 7 nights, and never saw any of the buffet dishes repeated. Dessert is another story altogether. A line of various desserts were lined up, all of them amazing. Not to mention home made ice creams and sorbets. For seafood lovers, would recommend having one seafood bbq dinner. Not the cheapest, but you'll see why - variety is great.
- Would recommend going full-board on meals, it's worth it and will certainly work out cheaper than buying individual meals.
- Staff are extremely helpful, efficient and everyone speaks good english so language isn't a barrier
- We took the Ultimate Sea Experience which involved a Dhoni ride for an hour witnessing the sunset. This was beautiful, however I got a bit seasick and so did my husband after a while. So a watchout for those of you who get nauseous.
- Had a spa session which was great. Would recommend it. You can also use the jacuzzi and spa facilities which looks out to the ocean.
- Bring an underwater camera if you have one. You can find disposable ones in the hotel for USD30, but always nicer if you had your own digital version :)

All in all, it was a honeymoon beyond any dream for us, and it could be for you too - though prepare to splash a little extra cash, if you want an experience to remember for life. Hope this review helps!

Room Tip: The Escape Water Residences are divided to Sunset views and Sunrise view so depending on which you p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBODUHITHI, Operations Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Coco Bodu Hithi and once again congratulations on your recent nuptials.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment of your recent stay with us at Coco Bodu Hithi.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities on the resort and that we were able to deliver an exceptional experience for you.

It is very pleasing to learn that you enjoyed our stunning house reef that is closely monitored by our resident marine biologist and that you took the opportunity to try some of our uniquely coco experiences such as the sunset cruise.

Your comments will be shared with our team and it is our pleasure to have hosted you.

Operations Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Male'
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

i have been to coco plam for life saving program as an life saving, maritime instructor. i was there for 3 days. the resort look very green and gorgeous. the hotel staff which i had teached them my best and they are very motivated for their work in this resort. As i i have been to many resort of Maldives and islands i found a very rear sea bird in this hotel , which i was very exited. many thanks to operation Manager Mr.Jonathan Payne. and his staffs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Coco Bodu Hithi it was a pleasure hosting you for the maritime safety training course that you facilitated.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities on the resort and that we were able to deliver an exceptional experience for you with the highlight being the rare sea bird that was sighted as we are very fortunate at Coco Bodu Hithi to have a close relationship with nature.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you wish to come back as it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation’s arrangements.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I won't write too much here because this is my favourite place on our planet and I want to be able to get a reservation again! We are going back for a third time soon in Manta Season. Why go back? Because they looked after us so well last time and the first time. Being a repeat customer is pretty special I can tell you. I know people have their own favourite island hotels in the Maldives and this is ours.
The hotel is the whole small island. The food is exquisite, the rooms lovely (escape water villa would be my choice). It's not cheap but you get what you pay for and it is on a different level of luxury to most other places we visit.
The diving is run by a wonderfully symbiotic company and the staff their, especially Imran and Andrea, make diving very lovely -the boat captain and his lovely crew too.

Mr Shaugy, the Deputy General Manager made us feel very special last time and I look forward to seeing him and his team next month and to meeting the new General Manager too.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. If you like sand stay on the beach. If you love fish and coral stay on the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Coco Bodu Hithi it was a pleasure hosting you for your holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back on your upcoming trip.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment of your recent stay with us at Coco Bodu Hithi it is pleasing to learn that our cuisine with a choice of four restaurants and dive team have been some of the specific highlights for you.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities on the resort and that we were able to deliver an exceptional experience for you, it is very rewarding for the team to have valued guests like yourself returning.

I look forward to meeting you upon your return.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Coco Palm aims to be sustainable and green and boy do they do a great job. Low key, elegant and nothing is too much trouble.
I need gluten free food? no problem, everything was explained to me, suases left off, and wait for it.. G-f bread. Even better G-f croissants and danishes. Spoiled!
The villa was gorgeous, very spacious. I'd asked for one facing the sunset and that was what we got.
Sadly the beaches have eroded in places, but you an see where Coco Palm is attending to this.
My only gripe was the quality of all of the towels but Jonathan (sp?) the manager assured me they new towels were ay Male waiting to be brought over...
We went for half board, and the one night we ate elsewhere other than the buffet, we were pleasantly surprised at the little we had to add to our bill. Okay wine isn't cheap but this is a 'dry' country, so that's to be expected.
All in all, come here and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: if you like sunsets, ask for a room facing that way..320-330 though to be honest everywhere is good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBODUHITHI, Operations Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Coco Bodu Hithi it was a pleasure hosting you for your holiday and getting to know you both.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities on the resort and that we were able to deliver an exceptional experience for you, we always take great pride in assisting our guests with specific requirements or preferences.

Since your departure the new towels have arrived as promised.

Thank you for your loyalty and please do not hesitate to contact me when you wish to come back as it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation’s arrangements.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having been to Anantara I had mixed feelings about this resort.

On arrival we were upgraded from an Island Villa to an Escape Water villa which was very generous. Our first few days in the Escape Villa were great. There was a coral reef just outside and my husband really enjoyed snorkeling straight from the villa and while we both found getting back up the ladder from the water very difficult, unless the tide was high, I enjoyed relaxing on the private deck and loved the large private pool. However, on about the third day a very strong wind blew up and out on the deck we were literally buffeted by it. It was so strong that when trying to use the pool I was stung in the face by the wind blowing the water off the top. For the rest of our stay it was mostly like this on the villa deck and we hardly used it because it was so unpleasant to be out there.
Also, the bed was unexceptional, rather hard and one of my pillows was lumpy.

The area around the infinity pool and Air Restaurant was always sheltered. The pool was lovely but most of the day it was without shade and it was very, very, hot. We tried the beaches and were disappointed to find that the shoreline was quite steep which meant that walks on the water line were not possible. There was also a profusion of very sharp stones on the sea bed. We did find a sheltered small beach near the restaurant, with shade and this was where I spent most of my day after a swim in the pool. Luckily at one particular spot I was able to pick my way to the sea through broad flat stones without hurting my feet.

On arrival we were shown our life jackets and told to be aware of the currents and to swim with a buddy. I am a very experienced swimmer, having grown up beside the Indian Ocean, but I am not a strong swimmer. Distance I can do, but speed and strength are not my best ability. This put me off. I got to know the current where I was swimming and while It was not usually a problem, it was always necessary to be aware and make compensations to maintain a direction. Some days the current was much stronger than others.

There was a larger beach on the sunrise side of the island but this was also extremely windy and the lack of shade was also an issue if you were not staying in one of those villas.

The palms, vegetation and walkways were beautifully done and there was an abundance of birds and wildlife, with fruit bats squawking in the trees. It was a delightful environment.

We were on half board and except for one night we ate at the buffet in the Air Restaurant. The breakfast was amazing. There was everything you could think of and plenty of it. It was all beautifully fresh and varied with marvelous pastries and the coffee was also excellent. The buffet was generally very good with lovely fresh salads, varied main courses and a dazzling array of puddings. We also enjoyed our lunches at the bar where the staff were amazingly friendly, efficient, kind and helpful. Mostly we ate from the wok station but all of the food was excellent and the portions were large. It was easy to order one dish to serve two people and probably better, given how plentiful the food was generally.

We were treated with the utmost courtesy wherever we went and all of the staff were incomparable in their kindness.

For me the resort was spoiled by the high winds, the uncertainty of the sea, the steepish waterline and the sharp stones which were everywhere. I did not much care for the transfer by launch either. It's not comfortable even when the sea is calm and 45 minutes is along time in which to be uncomfortable. In comparison Anantara was a dream destination in all ways other than its absence of fish. My husband loved the snorkeling and the very many different and colorful fish at Coco Palm. I have to say that the staff at Coco Palm were wonderful and the food was great. That made it good. Otherwise, Anantara knocks spots off it.

Room Tip: Given the high winds I think I would prefer to be in an Island Villa with privacy. I would prefer on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBODUHITHI, Operations Manager at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

Warm greetings from Coco Bodu Hithi.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities on the resort.

It is very pleasing to learn that you enjoyed our stunning house reef that is closely monitored by our resident marine biologist.

The ladders accessing the beautiful azure blue sea from all the water villas & residences are regularly maintained to ensure they are safe and effective for our guests.

During your stay the wind was a little stronger than normal, depending on the time of year the direction varies but this is normally a welcoming refreshing breeze.

Our beaches are very dynamic changing on a daily basis and whilst we can not control gradient of entrance to the sea or the material that makes up the white sand we do rake the beach on a daily basis.

Speedboat transfers to and from the airport take approximately 40 mins with our experienced crews, in comfort enjoying the beauty of the Maldives along the way.

The culinary team take great pride in providing the quality cuisine throughout our restaurants and will welcome your compliments.

sale,manchester,uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

THE GOOD:The food is fantastic with a huge amount of choice.The evening deserts should carry a health warning for they are so fabulous you will gain weight this holiday as only the strongest willed of you will manage to keep control of quantity eaten.once a week there are 2 guys who come along play the guitar singing to requests of classic songs of artists such as Van Morrison,Rod Stewart,Bob Marley etc etc This is utterly brilliant and fun.they should have this more often.The Garden villas are supposed to be the largest in the entire Maldives;they are stunning.There is a marine biologist who visits every so often and you can get involved in planting coral with them sadly they were not there during our trip.Water sports:the guy running this was really kind and deserves tipping well-really understanding customer service. For a fair fee-He took my wife snorkelling who is a poor swimmer by the hand with a life jacket and showed her the the corals and fish around the island making her trip truly memorable.the nepresso machine is a great touch.Water is provided daily in your room so there is no need to bring water.there is a dvd player and cd player in room-so you may wanna bring your own css/dvds...please ask for room on side of island where the main beach is as there is a small area on the opposite side that has some significant erosion and you definitely dont want to stay there as the waves are choppier also.I would advise against going in the rainy season which we did.please tip the room keeping well as they work very hard.
THE BAD. I was saddened to see the corals were bleached and the only decent section for snorkelling is between the air restaurant and the water bungalows.I was really surprised that there are absolutely no life guards anywhere on island.
:each room has an lcd tv nice touch but reception on the tv is very poor.I had my tv replaced and retuned still the picture was poor;It would be a great idea to install media players that cost as little as £20..The drains need sorting in the shower rooms.We had to ask for our pool to be cleaned regularly this should be standard.The huge bath tubs in the villas are too big and unless you are tall its hard to sit in them lying your back against the the side cushions-they also take forever to fill.the island is regularly fumigated id advise take all your anti-mosiquito gear to help prevent and soothe the bites.There needs to be an anti-slip mat between shower room and stairs to living roon area;easy to slip here and miss a step on the steps.
THE UGLY:The Spa..We went along to the Spa and spoke to some lady wearing glasses at reception who could barely be bothered to look up at us,let alone having any interest in explaining to us the differences in the different types of massage.Getting any info from her was like getting blood from a stone.So I opted not to spend my money here.The massages btw were the most expensive I have seen anywhere which I would have paid for had the staff made me feel welcome.Customer service training here is clearly lacking.We took 1/2 board as we were quoted something in the region of $100 us per person per day for LUNCH which I thought was obscene for a buffet..Being on a small island after a few days I asked about any boat trips and was told the only option I had was hiring a speed boat for $200 per hr!!There was no appreciation that we had already spent alot to be there.the cost of a bottle of water was $8 for the evening meal surely water should be included!the dive shop was I thought ridiculously expensive for beginners esp when you are only going to go down to 10m and that you can see snorkelling is nothing special around the island.I left my orthopaedic pillow behind by mistake when I wrote to the hotel they never even bothered to respond.The daily entertainment needs improving for this hotel,there should be fairly priced boat trips to see other islands,full board should not be so expensive( i saw very few people having lunch in the main buffet dining area).there are alot of easy improvements that can be made.On the feedback form I added a few sheets and took care to be very helpful yet there was no acknowledgement of this; so it felt like now that you have paid and left we are not interested in you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Zolder, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed in an Escape Water Residence and have been treated as Royals. À nice hot bath, colourful flower petals and a cooled bottle of champagne as welcome. Every day our bed differently decorated with flowers and towels turned into little elephants, swans, funny dog.... Just
fantastic.
Food (French, Japanese, Thai, local cuisine) is excellent and service is impeccable. Staff is friendly, helpful and you can have good laughs.
Endless sunshine, tropical plants, crystal clear water, white beaches....
this is PARADISE!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate, go for the Escape Water Residence.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBODUHITHI, Director of Lifestyle at Coco Bodu Hithi, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guests,

I am grateful for your wonderful comments as we are very proud of doing our very best to provide our guests a memorable stay with us.

We hope we are able to welcome you in the near future and get to add to your unforgettable Coco experience.

Sending our warmest regards,

Febe Pritchard
Director of Lifestyel

Been to Coco Bodu Hithi? Share your experiences!