“Total relaxation” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Post Box No. 20153   |
tibshelf derbyshire
“Total relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Having been to the Maldives before and been spoilt, waited on hand and foot and very much out of pocket we opted to come here as it was all inclusive and affordable.
Don't pick this resort if you want luxury and all the mod cons - it doesn't have them-
The accommodation is basic and somewhat dated but kept extremely clean!
There is one restaurant with limited choice - but good food!
There is one bar and that's it! no 'entertainment' (well some in the evenings) no WIFI no TV just beautiful beaches, unlimited sea life within easy reach of the most timid of swimmers to enjoy.
It was my sons 12th birthday while we were there and they went out of their way to ensure he had a good one - with a cake and the staff singing and us as well with a complimentary bottle of wine.
Pure relaxation!

Room Tip: The rooms at the ends of the blocks are larger.

831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leatherhead, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited at the end of October with my wife, second visit in two years.
Hardly changed one iota since our last visit. Really enjoyed the trip. Got there early afternoon one Sunday, and already chilled and in to it by that evening. Did Dolphin and Manta trips, as well as night fishing. Big plus was a couple of pods of Dolphins swimming by on our last full day off the west beach and hanging around for and hour and a half.
Ideal location just to chill for a week, but that's probably all I can manage of Fish and Chicken curry. Prepare to over eat and indulge. It's only for a week, so say what the heck and enjoy.
The staff were very attentive and could not do enough for you. Our room boy was fab, the ornate flower designs on my wife's birthday and our anniversary were simply impressive.
Probably going back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side of Island, ground floor best so on that basis numbers 50 and 57 are best. Go All...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leipzig, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here 1 week and after analysing all resorts and budget we decided for Biyadhoo.
It was our first time in the Maldives and we were amazed by the beauty of the place.
The resort is an average quality but for the average price for Maldives i think we couldn't complain.
The room was ok.
More important was the reef. That's the real pearl of Biyadhoo! Boats from other resort come to the reef around Biyadho because it's very very beautiful. Thousands of fishes, turtles, reef sharks, rays, starfishes, moray eels, puffer fishes, dolphins, crabs.
After a week we were ready to go home because unfortunately it was getting boring. There is not so much to do and entertainment.
But if it's a good reef what you are looking for, Biyadhoo is the right place!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eppstein, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed on Biyadhoo with my husband and seven-year-old son for a week in Oktober 2013. We had a truely brilliant time, and the resort far exceeded our expectations!

Beach: there is a big beautiful beach on the western side of the island, but we actually preferred the small beach at passage 7. There were only about 10 sunbeds on it, so the atmosphere was very peaceful, quiet and relaxed. There are several lovely small beaches like this around the island, but this was right in front of our room and at our favorite snorkelling spot.

Things to do: we were a bit worried beforehand that we might get bored because we usually go on holidays to places were there is lots to see and do. However, we couldn’t have been further from feeling bored. We snorkelled for at least three hours every day. The snorkelling was fantastic! I snorkelled around the entire house reef twice – once in each direction – which took just over an hour and was really worth doing. I saw a huge variety of fish, colourful corals, sting rays and a big turtle. Our son really got the hang of snorkelling as well. The three of us usually used passage 7 to get out of the lagoon, as this was the ideal place to snorkel for a beginner. The passage was well marked and easy to get through, there was no strong current, an abundance of fish and the drop-off is at its most spectacular there.
We also liked to walk around the island. It is possible to get around the entire island in 10 to 15 minutes, of course, but it can take a lot longer if you stop to admire. The flora on Biyadhoo is very pretty with beautiful trees and blooming plants. Our son particularly liked the hermit crabs that live in great numbers under the plants in front of the spa. And all of us loved to watch the fruit bats which can be seen at the southern end of the western beach in the late afternoon. We got some great pictures of the bats flying as well as hanging in the trees, feeding on the fruit. So cute!
There are excursions on offer for every weekday which we thought were very reasonably priced. We went on the manta trip and the dolphin watching trip. Both were fantastic! We snorkelled with 2 or 3 manta rays and got some very good pictures. And we saw hundreds of dophins, many swimming right next to the boat and some seeming to perform for us, shooting out of the water and then twisting in the air. My husband and son also did the fishing at sunset trip, which they enjoyed. Plus they rented a canoe twice to circle the island in, which they thougt was great fun.

Service: the service was outstanding! We were so impressed with how well-organised everything was and how smoothly everything worked. We have stayed in many 4- and 5-star-hotels around the world but very rarely encountered this level of perfection. And all the staff members were very polite and genuinely friendly on top. And so good with kids! Kudos, Biyadhoo!

Rooms: we were in room 9 on the eastern side of the island, which is one of the larger family rooms. There have been some comments on tripadvisor that the rooms look really old and need to be refurbished, but I don’t agree. The furniture in our room showed no signs of wear and tear, the beds were comfortable (a little on the hard side, but we like it that way), and everything we needed to feel at home was provided: a quiet and efficient A/C unit, coffee and tea making facilities and a nice balcony with a small table, comfortable chairs and a very handy rack for hanging wet swimming costumes. I loved sitting on the balcony after lunch or in the late afternoon, enjoying a cup of coffee, soaking in the atmosphere, catching glimpses of emerald sea and white sand through the trees. Some people have said on tripadvisor that the hotel should get rid of some of the foliage for a better view of the beach from the rooms. And I have to say to that: NO,NO,NO please don’t!!! It is perfect the way it is, and doubtless the way it was intended by the planners – a stroke of genius I might add – as the buildings are obscured by the trees and cannot be seen from the beach. This way, from the beach, or passing the island in a boat, or indeed the first time the island comes into view coming from the airport, one gets the impression of a perfect tropical paradise. Leave it that way!!!
The bathroom was basic, but again, it didn’t lack anything we would have needed and everything worked fine. Both the room and bathroom were cleaned daily to an excellent standard by our room boy, Naseer, who also delivered fresh beach towels to the room each night.

Food: the food was very good. Our son said it deserved a 6-star-rating, and he is a very fussy eater. Everything was fresh and well prepared. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the curries, but there was always plenty of choice for those who don’t like spicy food. There were also a big salad selection, soup and a choice of desserts for every lunch and dinner. I didn’t really like most of the desserts, but that’s a matter of personal taste. There were always fresh fruit to fall back on.
The cocktails at the Coconut Bar were very good as well.

Spa: I had a couple of Abhyanga massages and highly recommend them. So relaxing!

To sum it all up: we really enjoyed our time on Biyadhoo and had no complaints. And I’d just like to add that I don’t think it’s fair for people to come to the island with exaggerated expectations and then downgrade it on tripadvisor. If Biyadhoo were advertised as a 5-star-resort, then people might be justified in complaining about the rooms. But it is a 3-star-resort and therefore the rooms are totally adequate. And everything else is far better than the usual 3-star-standard. So what is there to complain about? People booking a 3-star-resort and then complaining that it isn’t as good as the 5-star-resort they stayed in last time are being completely unreasonable, in my opinion.

TanLan Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I went to this Island for the diving (3-4 dives per day) & was not disappointed Manta rays, Eagle rays, bat rays Turtles, & I saw more sharks than people, I am not a fussy eater so managed ok with the food, staff were fantastic, as stated the rooms need updating this did not bother me as I left my room at 7-30 in the morning & I was out all day, I have to give a special mention to The rep Vikki she is one of the best reps I have met to date nothing was to much trouble for her, the only down side to this holiday was the flights i booked with Kuoni who use Qutar airlines I will never fly with Qutar again & I advise anyone over 6 foot not to use them I was told lies after lies, You are not allowed to book ex leg room before the flight I got to Manchester 2 hours before check in at check in they had to make t/phone calls for me to get the ex leg room seats which was ok in the end but then was told that I had to go to the Qutar desk in Male on arrival to try & get the ex leg room for the return flight when I got to Male there was no desk for Qutar, on departure day I got to the airport 4 hours early to get the ex leg room & I was 1st in the queue when I got on the plane my seat was not ex leg room I asked to leave the plane in the end they sorted it, on arrival at Doha I had to run across the airport to try & get ex leg room to Manchester & was to there were no seats available when I got on the plane there was 6 spare ex leg room seats Qutar airlines do not have a clue whats going on

Room Tip: West side is the best
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Krk, Primorsko-Goranska, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Transfer from airport to the resort fast and was in price of package. Room was big and meet our needs. No TV but did not want some anyway. The beach was very nice. Food in the restaurant just fine. Service very good. Spa personnel great. In short I recommend this island for a relaxing holiday for thoose who do not search for luxury.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Arrival and transportation from the airport were very smooth and comfortable. The beach and location were terrific. The rooms are basic but comfortable and clean. The food is very good and nice cake. Drinks somehow are expensive, one coca cola is 4$ ... Same for one bottle of water 1.5 L. There are no WiFi internet service.Also it is three stars hotel, you will feel that you are in a real natural island away from fancy 5 stars hotels. The beach is very clear and suitable for snorkeling and swimming. I spent about two weeks and it costs about 3700$ with full board meals

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Biyadhoo Island Resort? Share your experiences!