“Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Meedhupparu Island   |
England
“Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We returned this week from our first trip to the Maldives. We went with friends who had selected Meedhupparu and who are regular visitors to the Maldives.

We could not have wished for a better island to experience the wonders of the Maldives and will be booking again next year.

Key points to share;
Accommodation - we were in 139. Our doors opened right in front of a beautiful view of the sand and sea. The room boy was excellent and our room was always clean and refreshed with towels and water. Our friends emailed ahead with our request of where we wanted to be situated, North West of Island and this did not disappoint us. Outside shower was fantastic and one we used every day. Walking around the Island, this is by far the best situation as further round is a broken coral mixed with sand beach which is hard on the feet and it is advised to wear flip flops on this, view still very beautiful. To the other end of the Island you were nearer to the entertainment where although this finished at midnight this could be disturbing.

This was our first time snorkeling and so nothing to compare to, however all I can say is my husband was so amazed by the sites both around the Island and on an excursion to see mantra rays. We were blessed to see dolphins, turtles, reef sharp and lots of colored fish a first for us!

Food was good, a wide range of cuisine, Chef Guru came to us daily to ensure we were satisfied or if we have an specific requirements, Very good service. Our waiter was Rashed, who was professional, friendly and polite. He got to know what we drank and he never disappointed us!

Entertainment was a duo who could do with a review, at times he was out of tune but the woman was brilliant, this was in the main bar. We did not venture into the main bar after dinner as we went to the sunset bar to play games. We had two regular barmen, Biju and Sumit who kept us topped up with beverages and tools to play our games. Again these staff are a credit to the island and really do enhance your stay.

We also got to know one of the barman Amir who liked to be called "Stevie Gerrad" He again took the time to work out your regular tipple and ensured he was ready for a replacement drink before you were out. Again a nice touch to your stay.

All staff are really friendly and polite, all say hello and smile, a credit to the Island.

Only recommendation is that there is consideration to the provision of sunbed cushions, You have to make your own comfort and ours was using the cushions from the veranda chairs. Having a bad back this was a necessity for comfort. I would have no issue paying for a mattress but none were on offer.

Overall this was a really memorable experience that we fortunate enough to share with friends. I have nothing negative to say about this island or the holiday and we will be returning next year.

I would also like the comments we have posted about certain staff members to be fed back to them as they were truly exceptional.

Room Tip: Go for rooms North West of Island 136 - 160
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

1,290 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We returned this week from our 7th trip to the Maldives in 9 years - this was our first time at Meedhupparu having stayed at Lily Beach (pre renovation), Meeru and Vilamendhoo (pre renovation). It's fair to say we love the Maldives and Meedhupparu did not disappoint.

So the key points worth sharing from our perspective-

Accommodation - we emailed ahead of our stay and requested rooms ( we travelled with friends) on the North west of the island , specifically between 140 and 160.We were allocated 142 and 143. Rooms were as expected - we knew they weren't the more modern 'Meeru style' rooms but they were absolutely fine and serviced very well. The room boy was very helpful and always responded in a timely manner to requests - extra hangers, blanket ( air con at night was cold !) and insect spray. Showers - one indoor and one outdoor , water pressure and temperature issues at specific times of day ( when everyone using ) - but not a major issue and something that happens on most islands.

Having walked round the island , our opinion was that we had the best location and best bit of beach. ( thanks to reviews on trip advisor). The beach further round is not pure sand ( bits of coral etc) and also has the sea wall. Sea wall bothers some and not others but we would not have wanted to be on the sea wall side of the island.

Snorkelling - was ok, mid range compared to other islands and as always some days better than others. 4 of our group of 6 went on the Manta trip and had an amazing time - Mantas in abundance and some fantastic video footage and photos. Truly memorable. Some comments on here about the trips being over priced - the Manta one was $120 per person, trip was approx 4.5 hours and in our opinion worth every penny. Added bonus of dolphins on that one also.:-)

Food - no major complaints , we felt the food was good and there was variety. We felt they did well to vary the menu over the fortnight - there was always different meat and vegetarian options. Chef Guru was very visible and took time to wander through the restaurants most days , spending time chatting with people. We happened to comment that we hadn't seen any bananas available with the fruit selections and within 10 minutes Chef had sent a plate of bananas to our table ! Whilst we were in the main restaurant we were not in the ' main' section which some people had complained was over crowded. There are two smaller areas linked to the main restaurant and we were in one of those - it did have a name but can't recall what it was. Special mention to Rasheed who looked after us. We only ate at Cafe Mass one lunchtime ( not all inclusive)- food was very good.:-)

Bar / entertainment - main bar was actually quite busy in the evenings with the 'resident' singers there most evenings- this could do with a review as often didn't sound the best but they do an ok job ! We tended to sit in the sunset bar of an evening as more light and as we were in a group this was good for cards/games etc. Special mention to Biju and Sumit who provided an excellent service and had a laugh with us regarding some of our games ( we will admit to a few games of charades!). Also special mention to 'Stevie' in the main bar who always had a smile on his face and looked after us well. :-)

Sunbeds - our only niggle is that mattresses are not provided and they really are needed. There is a roaring trade on 'lilos' through the island shop - if you want the comfort at reasonable price it is worth buying cheap lilos in uk before you go. We did this but our friends spent £40 on 2 lilos there (and that was a bartered price !) . What isn't great is that people take the cushions off the chairs from the villa decks to the sunbeds - not great when you think of all that sun lotion and sweat that will transfer :-( I think I have read somewhere that the resort are considering mattresses and new sun beds - worth the investment in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't object to having to 'hire' the mattresses but to not have anything is not terribly comfortable so do hope this is being seriously considered.

The final mention has to go to Rohan the First Choice rep. I am going to be honest and say that on previous islands we have either avoided or just not seen the rep ( or not needed to contact if not based on the island). Rohan is a different breed of rep - genuinely lovely guy , extremely helpful with a small number of things that we raised and very visible without being ' in your face'. Rohan joined us on a number of occasions for a drink and one thing we will say ( and said to him) is that he can talk ! A great guy and an asset to first choice and the island.

What is sad is that first choice/Thomson are no longer offering the Maldives as from April this year.

We really liked Meedhupparu and would return :-)

Room Tip: North West side of the island
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
North Battleford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and i had a wonderful time on the island for 5 days .Despite our short stay on the island, we were able to enjoy the beauty of the island and the variety of the cuisine along with beverages both of which came with the all inclusive package.We were flown to Meedhupparu from MALE on sea plane which was a first time experience to us and need less to say it was a novel one. The high lights of the stay were the class leading service from staff who belonged to all departments. The food on offer included a multi cuisine menu with Buffet style service which was led by chef Guru and his team. He himself and one of his passionate team members Ajeesh were infact very friendly and always strove to please our taste buds along with the similar many others. Another priceless service came from the young group of Bartenders namely Jaison, Dennis and Biju who had their bars spread around the stretch of the 40 acre island. They absolutely knew what they were doing and even went an extra mile to make our experience a mind blowing one. The house keeping staff did a good job too to keep our rooms neat and appealing and a name among them worth mentioning was of Radha Krishnan. The beach front villa we had was fully air conditioned and came with a mini bar and i just wish i did not have to pay for drinking from the supplies in the mini bar. Sipping beer and watching the sunset was such a breath taking experience. We totally would not mind coming back here in another few years to relax and feel younger in a very special way.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nacho I, Manager at Adaaran Select Meedhupparu, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for having selected Meedhupparu for your honeymoon. We are really proud you decided for Meedhupparu for such an important event.

We are happy you enjoyed our product and services at our resort, and i will personally forward your comments to Guru, Dennis, Jason and Biju.

Please, drop me an e-mail in the future when you would like to come back to Meedhupparu.

Moscow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Sometimes I think that you should be able to filter reviews based on age, usual preferences for hotels and even usual holiday budgets.

The reason I say this is that some people have put reviews with 5 star ratings but this resort is FAR from 5 star.

If you usually go camping or like the idea of having the most basic of comfort, this is the place for you.

If you don't care about paint falling off the doors, this is the place for you.

If you like the smell of damp and old socks in your room, this is the place for you.

If you don't want good service, this is the place for you.

If you don't care if people speak English on reception or in restaurants, bars etc, this is the place for you.

The only thing that this part of the island can offer you is the wonderful sea, great sand and incredible weather.

This resort charged a LOT of money for something that is simply so basic that I wanted to leave after a few days. So many of the people (guests) were like the typical low-class people that we see outside benefits offices in Britain. I felt strange as I didn't have tattoos all over my body. It seemed like a chav's paradise. There were formal queues for the buffet in the main restaurant but Russians, Brits etc all ignored these and pushing in wherever the liked. I didn't like it, but I wasn't that worried as the food was absolutely awful anyway.

The food was limited - basically the same choice was available every night. There was hardly any choice and variety and most of the food was cold if you arrived an hour after the buffet opened.

The service was shocking. Truly shocking. I work abroad (Moscow) so I'm used to dealing with people who have English as their second language. Generally, people fall into two categories - those who try to understand what you're saying and those who don't. Almost all of the staff struggled to understand the basics. If you ask for red wine, expect white wine! It became a joke. Also, people's mistakes can be forgiven if they smile and make an effort to be helpful. Again, I can't remember a smile. I had lots of $10 and $20 notes in my pocket to give as tips but I simply couldn't even give my money away, that's how bad the service was. The managers of the restaurants were invisible and never dealt with any issues that either we had or others around us. I would have felt sorry for the waiters but they didn't seem to care enough about us (or anyone else) to feel sorry for them.

The main bar was another dump that seemed to employ anyone who had an allergy to being polite or smiling. At 11pm they provide "a variety of snacks for your indulgence" - this seemed attractive to me on our first day as we hadn't eaten all day and had slept through dinner. I couldn't believe what the "snacks" were - basically it was a piece of French bread with a tiny drop of what looked and tasted like ketchup in the middle of it. That was it!!!!! It really was a joke and reinforced our view that this is really a 2 star dump.

The Sports Bar (if you can call it that) was another dump. The laziest and rudest waiter worked there - he saw clients as an irritation. Even the chavs there were complaining. The pool table was literally covered from end-to-end in stains and would have been flatter if it was balanced up the side of Ben Nevis!

We were given room 105 initially, which was so noisy. It's next to reception and the noise at night (people singing on their way back to their rooms) and in the morning (kids screaming, adults shouting on their way to breakfast) forced us to move. Thankfully we moved to 157 where it was a lot quieter. On our first morning, we woke up to find that our Russian neighbours had stolen the two sunbeds from outside our terrace and was using them for him and his wife on the beach (whilst leaving his sunbeds on his terrace). Nice.

The saddest part is that these sunbeds are surely the cheapest beds you could possibly find. They are made from plastic and have no covers on them at all. We took cushions from the normal chairs on the balcony and then covered them with beach towels. It's not great, but better than lying on the hard plastic surface.

When I arrived, we asked for an iron and ironing board for the room and a table lamp was delivered! When we eventually got the iron and ironing board, I ironed a shirt. Unfortunately, the surface of the ironing board melted and destroyed my shirt. The cover on the board was made from some sort of thin plastic material which would melt at high temperature.....I couldn't believe it! After a lot of complaining I had an apology from the hotel, but who's going to replace a £150 shirt? They didn't even offer me a free drink!

The shower was one temperature - not hot and not cold - and the pressure was very weak. The temperature was actually fine for me, but I'm sure not for others (nor my other half). We informed reception several times and nothing was done! They probably didn't understand as usual.

The massage in the spa was OK - not brilliant but no bad. The only thing I would advise you to do is check the time that you arrive and leave. We ordered a 50 minutes foot massage. It was only after I left the room that I realised that we only had a 30 minute massage. I thought time went quickly!!!!

Next - the crows! We were warned when we arrived but didn't realise that they were going to be as annoying as they were. When you're trying to sleep or lie by the beach, the last thing you need are dozens of crows screaming just a few metres away.

The one reason I didn't just leave was that we only had to suffer (and I mean suffer) this lack of service quality was that we were due to move into the Prestige Water Villas on the other side of the island after 5 nights. We were actually promised by reception and our rep that we could upgrade (at a cost....which wasn't an issue) to the Water Villas one day earlier, but as usual they messed this up and made us unpack again! It just summed up this dump. It makes Butlins look like the Four Seasons. It makes camping in a 20 year old tent on a hard, wet floor look attractive.

When we moved to the Water Villas, it was completely different. It was like a different world. What a difference.

Avoid this place at all costs - there are far better places to go and if you want 2 star, don't go there and pay 4 star or 5 star prices. If you can afford it, go to the Water Villas instead but book these in advance. Don't expect to be able to upgrade because you'll be in tears if there's no availability when you arrive.

If there was a competition for the worst service in the Maldives, this resort would be clear winners!

That accurately sums up this dump!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nacho I, Manager at Adaaran Select Meedhupparu, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

thanks for sharing your experience during your stay with us and Meedhupparu with our valued customers.

TripAdvisor is a social network with the purpose of valuing the products and services with in the hotel, not the guest which are staying at the hotel. For this reason and others that I write below , I absolutely disagree with your comments and I will keep our valued customers plus TripAdvisor guest, to have their own judgement.

All comments and issues that you remark , unfortunately , the whole staff and management team of the resort, didn't have any opportunity to attend as we were never kept informed of any. I have to mention, the problem with the shirt. Please note we provided free of charge to your room the iron board and the iron to the room. Due to the temperature of the iron was not controlled properly, they iron board started to melt and damaged the shirt. The hotel cannot be responsible for this, although i personally offered you any hotel gesture to be provided by unfortunately you refused at the moment.
I strongly recommend our valued guest customers to have a total knowledge and understanding of all our services and facilities available in the package which they have booked. We are pleased to answer all your clarifications or any further assistance before your arrival.

Kind regards,
Badhiya Gunathilake

manchester uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We received the most lovely welcome back from the resort manager and Nadia & Aruna and were treated like royalty.
We had the most fabulous and relaxing holiday with fantastic service from every member of staff we met.
The food was delicious and chef Guru and his team went out of their way to ensure everyone enjoyed their meals. Our waiter on table 20 Mohammed is a lovely and friendly man.
We found the drinks very acceptable although I wasn't keen on some of the wines.
The chap by the pool was also very helpful every day.
the room was comfortable and spotlessly cleaned by our room chap and we loved sitting outside our villa with the beautiful sea view.
The entertainment at night was very low key but we really enjoyed the Bodu Beru beach party.
Thank you to all the team at Meedhupparu for a fantastic holiday.
Debbi & Dunc (room 112)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your nice comments posted on tripadvisor. We are really happy you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We are proud you liked the products and services offered by Meedhupparu and i will forward your comments to the staff.

Warwickshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

My partner and I arrived for our 2nd visit to meedhupparu earlier this month. We had previously visited the island the same time last year and had an amazing time, which made it easy to decide whether to return.
Prior to our departure this year we emailed the hotel to request a similar room to the one we had last year as the location was perfect. On our arrival we were speechless to discover that not only had they reserved the exact room we had last year but we were met and treated like long lost friends.
Our holiday was fantastic for the first two days until I unfortunately became ill.
Over the next few days as my health deteriated and ultimately needed hospital treatment, the management of the hotel and doctor stepped in to provide suitable medicines and constant support for me.
Regrettably we had to make the decision to come home with a week of our holiday still remaining. The management went.out of their way to make sure our sea plane transfer matched perfectly with our emergency flight meaning I was not waiting around. All dealt with in the space of a few hours.
We would like to let people reading this know that the test of good service is not when things are easy but when they suddenly become very difficult.
We cannot praise all of the staff from room boy to waiter to general manager, all of who's concern for our situation was clear and apparent.
(the gardener bought me fresh coconut water to my room every morning without fail)
We will 100% be returning to this island in the future and would recommend to anybody to do the same.

Special thanks to Badhiya Gunatilake, who was available in person or by telephone 24 hours a day to help and assist us with our speedy evacuation.
And also emailed us when we arrived home to ask how things were (once again that one step further)
Congratulations to aadaran and meedhupparu.
See you all again soon!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just returned from the island on friday 10th January after spending 17 days there. Words can not explain the most wonderful relaxing holiday myself and partner had. The staff are excellent, the service is terrific and the food really nice.New years eve was brilliant what a way to bring in the new year. Entertainment lacked a bit but if your going to paradise with a loved one you make your own. The desert island day was one of the highlights for us we spent news years day on our own island. the outside shower is a must for everyone, we had a villa right on the sea. we can not say a bad word about the place. we enjoyed nights eating at the grill bar and Dennis and Semi were excellent waiters who couldnt do enough for us. The snorkeling was excellent my partner had the most wonderful moment swimming with a turtle and we both enjoyed a moment of watching dolphins swimming freely in the morning. We will be returning in the near future to the same island. Thank you everyone you made our stay with you very emotional and an expereince of a life time xxx

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are proud you liked the products and services offered by Meedhupparu and i will forward your comments to the staff and specially to Dennis and Semi.

During New Year Eve, we always manage our best to go ahead the expectations of our valued guest, so they start the new year year as happy as possible.

I totally agree with you, that the Lovers Paradise is a must, to have the opportunity to be alone on an inhabited island.

Please drop me an e-mail before coming back to Meedhupparu.

Resident Manager

Been to Adaaran Select Meedhupparu? Share your experiences!