“Far exceeded my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Stratton Court Barn | Pool Farm, Stratton Audley, Bicester OX27 9AJ, England
+44 1869 278199
Website
Improve this listing
“Far exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Treated my other half to a rally experience with LRS, been before myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Venue easy to locate and drivers briefing was clear and concise lasting about 10-15 mins. The driver/instructor was accompanied my wife was excellent and very skilled, giving tips and advice to someone who hadn't driven any type of rally car previously and was slightly nervous. Both times everything was very well organised and the staff directing everything very helpful.The instructors brilliant and really enthusiastic with the guests-they do appear to want drivers to have a experience they won't forget! The course was the 'Monte Carlo' half day which seemed good value for the amount of driving time plus you get to drive the Escort RS and then the Impreza Turbo. Managed to get lots of photos and video from the viewing points on the venue which in itself is stunning. We left with smiles all round and had amazing experience,I would definitely recommend it to anyone! Visited the Local pub for lunch which has a lovely garden and does amazing baguettes, less than 1 mile from the rally venue.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Day – will definitely be doing it again and bringing all my friends with me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I’ve recently been to LRS and had an amazing day! I’d done a track day at Silverstone before, but it doesn’t even compare to this! The location is perfect – really easy access from the motorways and the setting of LRS itself is beautiful – not that there’s much time to admire the scenery!

The staff are so friendly and patient and they really help to put you at ease and build confidence. I was eager to get into the cars, but the briefing was excellent, really informative and they make it as interesting as possible!

Over the day I got to drive different cars as my confidence grew. It’s such an adrenaline rush! And the real rally stage is awesome! I learnt so much on the day and came away feeling like I’d been a real rally driver!

Would definitely recommend this – rallying is not just for boys!

Visited August 2012
Banbury
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Finally went on my much anticipated rally day after receiving the gift from family last year, had flashy cars on the road but possibly never known how to drive any of them properly!
Arrived at the venue which is off J9 M40 and signed in for the days course. We were early so had a coffee and nosy around some of the rally cars while waiting. The school had about 12 cars on site, some were being used on the day while other were being serviced in the workshop was also allowed to view the nearest of the circuits.
We were called into the briefing room and given a 10-15 minute brief on various aspects of rally driving skills and techniques and how to get the most from the day. The briefing was interesting and the theory side i could understand however not sure how i would get on in practise having never attempted anything remotely motorsport like before.
Throughout the day i learned a great deal and most importantly had great fun while doing it! The Impreza was incredible in terms of power and grip from the four-wheel drive, very surprised how much traction a car can have on a gravel surface.
The Escort mk2 was equally as good and being a rear wheel drive car, spent the majority of the time looking out the side windows rather than straight aheaad with a big smile on my face, admittedly not the fastest way to drive but undoubtedly the most fun. The instructor was helping me getting the best from the car and the stages, started out with too much steering input and the wrong entry lines into corners, occasionally wrong gears too, however by the end improved considerably and was awarded 2nd place behind a chap that was attending for his 3rd time!
The facilities and venue were great, with a bar area with drinks and snacks, games room etc and a picturesque setting in the countryside, there is also pub less than a mile away with great food and a nice garden. A very worthwhile and enjoyable experience and made a very memorable gift.

Visited May 2012
London
“Good fun with tiny glitches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Took a full day Acropolis course that involved driving 2 cars - RS2000 and Subaru Impreza.

1. The venue
The farm is easy to access from London via motorway (M40), well sign-posted and good parking. The briefing room right next to the workshop, with water/tea/coffee and some biscuits. There is a spectator area outside with a few benches.
2. The start
The briefing was straightforward, without too much unnecessary information and then straight to getting the helmet and driving. The first ride is with the instructor behind the wheel with everyone thinking let's see if I can do that at the end of the day!
3. The cars and driving
I did the RS2000 and Subaru Impreza. Got a lot of time spent on the RS2000 (nice workout on the arms) and only two rides in Subaru, which I would have expected to be more balanced. The driving is fun, you do get good input from the instructor throughout your ride. More on Subaru, it was great fun to drive, however unfortunately there is no driving around the cones and only two runs on the track, which feels somewhat less versus RS2000, which was many rides around the cones and one track ride. The car also felt a bit slower than I expected for a light 280bhp vehicle. The organizers keep the max number of people per instructor to 5, which is probably the upper end of what is bearable. Still felt like too much idle time around, which is probably ok if you also came to chat with your friends but not if you want to drive in the first place. There are much more expensive personal classes on offer, which should provide for more driving, less watching.
4. The team
You stay with one instructor throughout the day. We got an experienced racer/co-driver, though not one of the advertised champs. Helpful tips given throughout the day thought at times you had to ask a bit. As it turned out after the timed race, I had a lot to work on so I guess I have to come next time to address all the mistakes! I will certainly consider that.
5. The rest
Overall good fun, definitely recommendable but make sure you come with friends to kill the idle time if that troubles you. The organizers should give some thoughts as to how to make the waits more enjoyable - sending people for the workshop peek, showing more cars around... Also, having just checked the website, it looks like I could have gotten a 25% discount for the time I booked, which was not offered to the assistant I used to look up this type of experience. Fair enough I should have found and called myself but this just feels slightly cheeky.

Visited June 2012
Northamptonshire
“Still Buzzing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Recently visited the rally centre with my brother as part of a birthday gift. We signed in at reception, free tea, coffee and snacks which was gratefully received as it was a chilly morning. We attended a safety and skills briefing, along with tips given from a professional rally driver as well as a chance to see maps of the venue and ask any questions.
We got kitted out with helmets and headed for the rally skid pan and stages. All the drivers received hot rides from the rally instructors, this was one of the highlights, just incredible how fast they go on a gravel surface. There were 3 cars on the go throughout the day with instructors offering tuition in each car, they were very patient and good fun letting you get the most from the cars.
We started off in a mk2 Escort which was fantastic fun, plenty of opposite lock and power slides and perfect for learning, we then moved to the Impreza WRX group N. Lots of practise and then a time trial in each car where we competed against the other drivers on the day.
Cars were full spec rally machines and very well maintained, one of the guys showed us around the workshops on the venue before we left, pretty impressive the amount of work that goes in the cars, then they get thrashed all day long by beginners!
My father came to spectate and was allowed to get pics and video around the venue, then had a hot ride in the mk2 escort at the end! Certificates are awarded at the end of the day as well as prize for the winning driver, sadly not me!
We all had a fantastic time and were very impressed by the team and facilities, plenty of time in the cars and overall excellent value for money. I plan to book again towards the end of the year with my father.

Visited March 2012