“Afriski - Online rooms pics deceiving 9th August” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Biking Trails, Sports
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Afriski - Online rooms pics deceiving 9th August”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My first time at AfriSki

I stayed over in VAIL.. online pics show wooden floors cosy room and walls..

On my arrival we had a concrete floor.. Rotten doors and undersized beds ...
Every step or bump from neighbours can be heard .

Not to mention items were taken out our room and Back of our car.

I spent around 7k and didn't feel I got half my moneys worth, I felt very uneasy with
armed guards at the resort as well ..

Staff seemed to be helpful but I doubt they would mention any bad incidents.

Friends who occupied us agreed.. This would be our first and last visit .

Visited August 2013
Reuphillan, Director at AfriSki Ski and Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Chris,
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, and were disappointed with the Vail unit you stayed in. The unit is in the process of being upgraded (hence the cement floors in which underfloor heating is being installed), and should offer a better experience soon. Our grading of the units is based on the AA grading descriptions i.e. Vail rated Good = approx 2 Star.
Afriski offers various units from a Backpackers (Basic) to Estonian Chalets (3 and 4 star) as well as Lodges (Vail 2 star; Tirol 3 star).
We do however hope that you enjoyed your African ski experience and the activities we offer at Afriski and hope that you will reconsider your view of not returning.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
“Ski in Africa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My family and I spent the week at Afriski where the kids learnt to ski.

We stayed in Tirol, a lodge with various en suite rooms and were pleasantly surprised. It was fully equipped with under floor heating, electric blankets on each bed and double glazing throughout. The room and bathroom were clean and spacious enough. There is tea and coffee in the rooms but bring your own if you're a coffee snob. The restaurant and cafe serve tasty and varied food without takin advantage of th fact that they have a captive audience.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our kids loved their ski instructor who spent time on the first two days teaching them to ski.

The slopes had no natural snow when we arrived but Afriski managed to create and groom short but pristine runs that were maintained each evening, making for very enjoyable skiing for the whole family.

All in all it was a wonderful holiday and given that within six hours of leaving Johannesburg, we'd stopped for breakfast, checked in and were on the slopes skiing, I'd highly recommend it for people in Johannesburg looking to spend some time in the snow.

Visited August 2013
Hi Antony and Zelda,

Thank you for the time you took to write a review. We are very happy that you were pleasantly surprised by our Ski and Mountain Resort and we love the fact that your kids learned to ski.
Tirol was recently upgraded and it is great to hear that there is appreciation for the experience offered in Tirol. We hope to have more units to choose from soon, offering different options to suit everyone's needs and pockets, but the fun adventure element at Afriski is what we are most proud of.
We hope that you will return next Winter season (now that the kids are addicted :)), and also give us a visit in Summer.
Centurion, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
“Great place to learn skiing or snowboarding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

So Afriski has a latitude of 28.8 degrees South, making it only 5 degrees outside of the Tropics ergo even though the slope extends from around 2800m to 3200m above sea level natural snow is never a certainty. The main slope is always suplimented with man-made snow and so skiing is guaranteed for around 3 months of the year. There is a 1km mainslope, served by a T-Bar lift, and an intermediate slope divided into upper and lower parts each serviced by button lifts.

Rental and ski pass prices are on par with what one would pay at much larger ski areas in (e.g.) Europe and North America, so offers poor value for money for the experienced skier. However as a family get away or a cheap prelude (since no transcontinental flights are involved) to learn the prerequisite skills before a proper ski holiday; Afriski makes a lot of sense for the average South African. I have been every year for the last six with a bunch of friends as a weekend get away and thoroughly intend to continue to do so

Visited July 2013
Reuphillan, Director at AfriSki Ski and Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for a great review and taking the time to write about your experience.
We, at Afriski have the passion for African Snow experiences and especially offer a great snow learning area for kids to adults.
We love our returning guests, and look forward to welcoming you back again next year or perhaps for Summer when the resort is green and offer excellent 4x4 experiences...
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Fantastic family and friends experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent the weekend learning to ski at AfriSki resort and had a fantastic time. My husband, myself and my daughter were given ski lessons by Thomas an excellent ski instructor! I was very afraid and he managed to conquered my fear, I will definitely continue skiing. My son went with Roni for snowboard lessons and she was also top notch, after 2 lessons he was snowboarding on his own. A great experience and good family & friends fun - we will most definitely go back again. Food and drink prices was similar to any restaurant in Johannesburg and pizza was tasty. We even managed to experience snow on our first day which was awesome. I can recommend it!

Visited July 2013
Hi Cathy,
Thank you for taking the time to write up your experience at Afriski.
Our world-class ski instructors and snowboarders love to encourage a great time on the snow and offer the best options for beginners.
The Sky Restaurant - highest restaurant in Africa - would love to welcome you and your family back again in summer! Come and experience the great walking trails or bring your motorbikes for a great experience in the rough Maluti mountain terrains.

Thanks again - we love the great stories - please put your pics on the facebook page.
Maseru, Lesotho
“Real African Snow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It proves that Africa is not only about sun, beach, sand but also SNOW! Come experience true Lesotho cold weather while you sip on your gluhwein.

Afriski is modern facility that also provides summer activities e.g. pony rides, mountain biking, trail runs, fly fishing and water rafting at high rain season.

You will be made to feel the true Lesotho culture hospitality while you mix with visitors from all around Africa and international too.

I've taken my family every winter for skiing experience and to build snow men & women - just watch you don't leave carrots because the donkeys will eat the snow men's noses!

Visited June 2013
Hi,
Thanks for the time taken to write up so beautifully about the Maluti mountain and your Afriski skiing experience. Dont forget to bring your own carrots... we dont have that many fresh - supplies are challenging to get up the mountain :)

Hope to see you and your family again at Afriski - come in summer as well!