“The best vacation in my life - in Hukumeizi, Palomino” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hukumeizi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Guajira Department
Hotel Hukumeizi
Via a Santa Marta, En El Kilometro 2 de la Guajira | Via a Santa Marta, En El Kilometro 2 de la Guajira, Colombia   |
Munich, Germany
“The best vacation in my life - in Hukumeizi, Palomino”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at Hukumeizi in Jan 2014, and I have to say it was the best vacation I had in my life. A picture-perfect sand beach with palms and rolling waves, tranquil and calm, plenty of time to read books I ever wanted to read, and no sellers of whatever that you find everywhere else in Colombia or maybe the world. It was possible to walk kilometers on the beach in each direction, and you still had the same stunning landscape before you. Hukumeizi itself is the loveliest place you can imagine - very calm, very relaxing, but without missing any of the conveniences you would miss (perfect food at any time, a cabine for yourself, a safe for yourself to keep your valuables, everything clean and tidy, but still overwhelmed by exciting nature). The service is the best you can imagine.

But the best of all is Ana, the owner - a heart of a person, always caring for her guests, reading your wishes before you express them, and being always open for a pleasant chat when you like. I wished I could sit NOW on the veranda of the bar, with a cocktail, chatting to Ana, and thingking whether in 10, in 20, or in 30 minutes it is the best time to walk down the 20 steps to the beach.

Anyone who has questions on hukumeizi can contact me at stemau@hotmail.com - but expect nostalgia-full answers ;-)

Room Tip: Any of the cabines are great, don't worry!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Unfortunately I can't recommend this hotel at all - I say unfortunately because it is in a beautiful spot, the staff were pleasant to us during our stay when we saw any and everything had seemed really promising before we arrived. We had been emailing Alicia to make our arrangements who
wrote in excellent English - we were very disappointed to be told the day before we arrived that she would not be there during our stay. No one else spoke any English which made everything very hard work - not what we had anticipated when we booked. Even on arival no one had any record of our
booking.

The room itself is fairly basic as we expected. Luckily for us not many people were staying (only one other couple) so we got one of the rooms nearest the beach - a lot of them are set back and I wouldn't have been impressed to stay in some of them. The furnishing is minimal in the room
and there was a huge concrete block which I presume was meant to have some kind of matress or cushion on it to make it a day bed - but it did not, so we couldn't use it. No wardrobes, just a few hooks. The bed was a small double - so small we could fit a single mosquito net over the bed. The bathroom was pleasant, but the shower unfortunately did not work unless you
took the shower head off, when it essentially became a hose sticking out of the wall.

But the main problem with the room is how open to the elements it is - there are very few enclosed walls so the whole bedroom is totally open to the outside which meant that in the evenings our room was totally over-run with insects (birds too) - everything from huge crickets that were inches long, to minisclue black flys that could get through the holes on our mosquito net.

Even covering ourselves in clothes and deet from head to toe, and keeping all the lights off did not help - both myself and husband lost count of the number of bites we got and ended our South American trip covered in bites. We just could not believe that given how open the room is and the price of this place, that no mosquito net is provided, or at the very least they don't provide proper hooks to enable you to hang your own and recommend that you provide your own. We tried to put ours up but it wouldn't stay up. Our room got very cold at night with the breeze coming straight in off the sea - we could have done with a blanket. We stayed for 3 nights - after 1 we wished we could leave as our night had been so horendous and sleepless.

The food is basic and fairly bland - there is no choice; you have what you get given. There was one lady cooking it who was very nice, but it felt awkward when we didn't like something and therefore left it. My husband can't eat fish and there seemed to be a reluncatance to cook fish for me - which is a shame because when they did it was the best food they served in my opinion. Food is served in a small covered dining area at plastic tables and chairs (with a dirty table cloth!). We were never told when meals were going to be - we had to ask every time and the meal time is set (so an early start, no lie in!). And one day we were even fetched early for dinner - we were still in the shower! There are no snacks in between meals and no option to buy any - we were hungry at times - I'd say take some snacks with you but you need to be careful not to attract the armies of ants (make sure it's sealed food). And we were never quite clear what
soft drinks were included and whether we could get free drinks inbetween meals - it seemed to be hit and miss, and that was if you could even find someone as the lady always seemed to be off, busy doing jobs, so staff were hard to track down. Beers are availabale to buy - served mildly cold.

The beach was nice. However I was very disappointed with the beach furniture - one of the reasons we were were attracted to this place was the pictures of comfortable looking beach beds in the shade. Well, the concrete bases existed, but any kind of cushion or cover did not. There
was one hamock which I was using which actually got taken down mid-stay with no explanation which was very disappointing. So all we were left with was a plastic lounger and a plastic chair with no cushion or beach towel (had to use the small bathroom towels on the beach and later for showering). Oh and there are a lot of dogs at the hotel and on the beach that you just can't get rid of. The beach was very picturesque, and very remote, but the sea wasn't great
for swimming. A tip - watch out for falling coconuts, there are lots of palms and lots of them falling from the trees between the bungalows and the beach!

Another other thing to mention was the lack of secturity in the rooms - there was a saftey deposit box which was locked shut so we couldnt use and there is no lock on the bedroom door. It felt very unsecure with no where to leave our valuables and anyone could just walk right off the beach into our room (and there are people walking by, it's not that remote). Luckily
we had bought our own portable travel 'safe' which gave us some peice of mind, otherwise I wouldn't have been happy leaving valuables and documents in the room.

All in all an uncomfortable stay, lots of bites, a big bill, and we couldn't wait to leave. Not quite the tropical paradise we had hoped for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We haven't actually stayed at Hukumezi, but I feel they deserve my comment.. We were looking for an accommodation, but since it was Easter and it was getting late in the evening, we were a bit stuck... Luckily I had a phone number for Hukumeizi from a guidebook. The lady owner who answered gave us directions and with my little spanish we understood and got there. They were actually fully booked, but she was concerned for us to travel during the night and was ready to put us up in her friends cabana... She called up another, neighbouring hotel on the beach- La Playa Mandala, which thankfully had an availibility. We spent most amazing 10 days there, but if you are looking to stay at Hukumeizi I thought I'd let you know that you'll be staying with very kind and caring people. Good start, no?

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Marta, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Simple and beautiful. Bring a good book and prepare yourself to relax..a lot. There are no televisions and not much else to distract you from your relaxation. The loudest noise around the property comes from the waves crashing on the beach. We are return guests.

The rooms are really cabanas with nice architecture and palm thatched roofs. I loved the bathrooms which are open (yet private) and have nice views of the surrounding gardens, palm trees etc. The water is cool from the shower which is what you want after a day on the beach. Our room had its own garden inside the walls which was a nice touch if you like to be reminded that you're sleeping in a tropical paradise.

The ocean is rough here, but we swam and played in the waves happily. There is a river mouth nearby which can also be used for swimming- head away from Palomino on the beach for 15 minutes. The bigger river- Palomino can be floated on in tubes- you see the tubes when you pass through town.

The food was good- always fresh fruits for breakfast and fresh seafood at lunch. Dinner depends on the day. The kitchen sells snacks, beer and wine etc. but you can also bring your own which is not a bad idea if you want to eat and drink what you like between meals. They will chill whatever you bring.
ADVICE- Ask for what you want. The staff are are very friendly and happy to help, but I did have to ask for a few things like to have cushions in the lounge areas and to bring a lounge chair to our room's patio. I also found out that almost anything can be delivered from the town nearby for a small fee for the moto-taxi, but again you have to ask. My Spanish is basic, but if you make an effort the staff will respond. Also- bug spray for evenings on the beach (sand flies at dusk).
Go for it if you're looking for simplicity and relaxation in a secluded place.

Room Tip: closer to the ocean is...closer to the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bogota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

If your are looking for breathtaking nature with simplicity, this is a good option. Beautiful clean beach, nice to walk any time for minutes or hours. Simple bungalows with nice big open bathrooms. Very good fresh food. Dont expect any luxury just sun,wind, and peace....total relax!

Room Tip: I would ask for a bungalow near the ocean, the sound of the waves is incredible!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
new york, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We went in peak season (January 2012) and paid about 440,000 COP for 2 person (about $265 per night).

Our room was big, white and sparsely decorated but very basic and "open". There was a bird who was flying around our room trapped in the middle of the night (or he'd made his nest on top), and some mosquitos (but no mosquito net).

The staff are very nice and the food (three meals included) is good, but after staying in a bunch of places throughout the country, we found it not worth the price.

There are a few nice hammocks on the beach, but all the furniture is cheap plastic, and would need to be upgraded for us to justify the cost. The common dining outdoor area is also brightly lit with flourescent lighting, and not cozy. Simple incandescent lights would be a huge upgrade to this area.

It was great having wifi, although the connection was slow but not at any fault of the hotel (they have the best available).

Our advice to management would be to charge more reasonable rates, or consider spending some money to upgrade the property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a very simple little spot in the middle of nowhere, and it's lovely if you truly want to 'check out'. If you're looking for something more luxury, or need television or air conditioning, this is not for you. Bring everything you need, there isn't much around (I forgot my sunscreen and paid and arm and leg for someone to drive to town and get one) and be prepared to just relax.

Showers and bathrooms are open air so, again, not for princesses, but I loved it.

I also recommend the hike and rive float as it was one of the highlights of our trip. Be sure to let Anna (the owner) know ahead of time via email if you'd like to do excursions...the other staff wasn't the most savvy regarding these options.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hukumeizi? Share your experiences!