“obviously improved a lot over the past years...” 5 of 5 stars

You added L'Auberge des Glycines to your Saves list
L'Auberge des Glycines
22 place d'Armes, 83400 Porquerolles Island, France   |
Hawaii
“obviously improved a lot over the past years...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I booked my stay (2 chambres communiquantes) and only looked at the reviews afterwards. Obviously was a bit worried about my stay there, but honestly, they must have changed the personel and renovated the hotel because it was absolutely delightful. The rooms were clean, provence style, very tastefully decorated, the personnel charming, helpful, polite, the meals quite acceptable: breakfast buffet is deicious, and dinners are very local (lots of fresh fish).

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

I booked this hotel because I wanted to visit Porquerroles. There were some positive reviews about it in guide books but I was also aware that there were very negative reviews on this website.
For the most part I would have to agree with the earlier reviews. The rooms are very dated and tired. Some would call this Provencale charm. To us it was just shabby. The staff were quite off hand but this may be just typical of the region. You had to wait until they were ready if you wanted some service. It was not forthcoming. They have the attitude that this is the way we do things and if you do not like it then thats tough. Having said that, when they did eventually come they were quite friendly. We stayed on the 5 day half board package. There was no choice when it came to the food which I did not know about. This could have been a disaster but I have to say that this was the highlight of the hotel. The food was excellent, except the breakfast which was a poor buffet affair.
We still managed to have a great holiday and I would not say that you should avoid this hotel. I think we had a better experience than the earlier reviewers but on balance we probably would not stay here again.
The island is beautiful and if you are into walking and cycling it could be for you. There are some fabulous views from the top of the citadel and the lighthouse. Our favourite beach was the one that was closest to town. I think it was called D'Argent. We hired our bikes on the way to this beach (its in a little courtyard) and the woman who ran the shop was very helpful despite our language difficulties.
Do bear in mind that this is an island that caters nearly exclusively to French tourists. There is no allowance made for you if you do not speak the language very well. This didn't bother us but I could see where it could completely ruin someones holiday.

Stayed May 2007

Travelers are raving about these Porquerolles Island hotels

Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

wanted to spend a night on Porquerolles in a busy period (may 1st). last thing available, apparently, was one of the bungalows adjoining this hotel. "tres joli" they told me. actually it was a little room with built-in water closet: no dividing walls between the beds and the makeshift bathroom. imbarrassing experience.

when i told the owner that this is something I'd have liked to be warned about, and that I would make sure to spread the word, she said
"oh, you can go shout it out loud on the town square". well, I think the Internet is better suited. also: at 190 euro it is quite overpriced, but then so is everything on this charming island.

Stayed May 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We did not have any chance to go there as they had overbooked the hotel! We had booked a week before and sent money to confirm the room, but when we came in, they just replied they had never heard about us!! And of course never received our cheque....

We eventually to find a room at Villa Ste Anne in Porquerolles, and had a wonderful stay out there. We highly recommend this last one.

Enjoy!

Stayed July 2006
Torino, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

I haven't even had the experience to know the hotel. I had planned to send my parents there for a week-end this June and made a reservation. As a guarantee for the night reservation they took 150€ through my credit card but never told me about any cancellation policy. 1 month before I unfortunately had to cancel it but the result was that they kept the entire amount, saying this is the policy in France. I cannot believe, never heard of such a thing!! Too bad for the island, which is amazing...

• Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2002

Last summer in June my daughter and myself were seeking an "out of the ordinary" spot in the south of France. We planned 4 nights on the island of Porquerolles. I did extensive research and decided on the hotel "Auberge des Glycines" located on the "quaint" square in the center. It was not cheap and while we knew it was small and charming we were shocked at the run down state of the hotel. Front desk staff were not helpful and actually rude at times....the restaurant as well as the steps leading to our room smelled of garbage. Our room had zero decor and the others that I got a view of were the same. Our view was more garbage. It was billed as "garden view". I would steer clear of this one. Many guidebooks really recommended it but I think they have not been there in a while. The disappointment of the hotel was surpassed only but the "honkey tonk" nature of the island. There is little provincal charm here. The smaller towns along the Cote d'Azur are more interesting. It was difficult to get here but the masses have found it. Mostly daytrippers....were were jealous when they left and we headed back to the "Glycines".

Been to L'Auberge des Glycines? Share your experiences!