“An enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Wass B&B and Inns
Swanley, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We had booked this place as a stop off on the way back to the South from a trip to Scotland and were very glad we did. Very friendly landlord, landlady and all the staff. Nice modern and comfortable accommodation with great well presented food and a nice selection of beers. We would definitely recommend The Wombwell Arms to friends and would visit again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is the second time that I have eaten here. We waited an hour for a table, even although we had booked for a specific time. We then waited another 10 minutes for the food to arrive. The place was not at all busy. The host behing the bar seems quite uninterested in his customers and I have honestly never been served quite such a 'small' glass of wine, which didn't reach halfway up the average size glass. I suggest that if he wishes to be so parsimonious, he buys smaller glasses. The food on the whole was average. I had expected something very good, given the wait. Venison was a little tough and the sauce was thin. My friend's sea bass was apparently, 'drowned' in an overwhelming sauce. The puds are very good, but at £25 a head for the food alone, I won't be rushing back.

The food was ave

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
squarky, Owner at Wombwell Arms Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
This gentleman was part of a large shooting party who ate in our pub last Saturday. The party gave a tip of £64 on top of their bill which, when I spoke to them, they told me was for the exceptional service and quality of the food. This was the largest single tip that has been given in the pub since May 2011. Consequently we were absolutely astounded when this review appeared.
Last Saturday the restaurant was fully booked, had been for over a week and we had turned away several bookings, consequently it is simply not true to say that we were not busy. We have 11 tables in our two rooms, there were 2 tables of 2, one of 3 and then 2 tables were pushed together for a table of 6. The remaining 6 tables were in a separate room and these were reserved for the shooting party of 24. Because of the size of this party we prepared a special menu, originally this was based on £20 per head, but the organizer asked for us to increase this budget to £25 per head and as a consequence we produced a 3 course menu plus coffee for this price. (Note that the normal price for this meal is £32.50.)
We required the party to pre-order and we were quite concerned that by the Thursday we had only received 14 orders. The organizer then phoned me a told me that they would in fact only be 15 and gave me the outstanding order. I told him that despite this lower number we would keep the party in a room by themselves and we would now be able to put everyone on one large table rather than the two tables that we would have had to put them on if there had been 24.
On the Saturday the table of 6 were the first to arrive at 7.30, they ordered before the the first person in the large party arrived at 7.41. The large party had booked a table 7.30 for 8 pm and by 7.50pm they had all arrived. At this point I normally inform the kitchen to start preparing their food, but something told me that the numbers were wrong. Consequently I spoke to the organizer and asked him how many people had turned up. He did a quick headcount and then appologised to me because there was actually 16. I told him not to worry because we could still accommodate 16 people on the one table but that we needed the outstanding order. I then went to get the waiting staff to set the extra place whilst the organizer went around the party checking the order. Eventually he got the extra order which I took to the kitchen. By this time it was 8pm, and as a consequence the party were not now going to eat until 8.20, furthermore the party of 3 were now ready to order and the chef told me that the delay caused by the large table would cause the table of 3 to have to wait for 30mins unless they went first. As a result we decided to serve the table of 3 first. Despite this the large party were still seated by 8.25pm. I did however had to appologise to both the tables of 2 because it was obvious that they would have to wait longer than usual.
Once seated the meal for the large table went extremely well and when I checked with the waiting staff they told me that everybody was happy
One point that the reviewer makes is the size of our wine measures. We have no say over wine measures as these are determined by weights and measures legislation. In Oct 2010 the law regarding wine measures changed so that if someone asks for a small glass then they have to be served a 125ml measure. I have checked the bill for that night and several large glasses and several bottles of wine were ordered but only one person ordered a small glass. Consequently I would ask the reviewer who is really the parsimonious one here, is it the only person in the group to order a small glass of wine costing a mere £2.90 and expect to receive a large glass or is it the person who merely served him with exactly what he asked for?
I spoke to many members of this group, one of whom told me that it was the best piece of venison he had ever had. However it is the size of the tip which speaks volumes for how the rest of this group viewed the service and the quality of the food that they received that evening.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011 via mobile

Two nights stay with our two children. Family room with two extra beds, worked brilliantly. We ate both nights downstairs whilst the kids slept above. The food was fantastic, cooked from fresh local ingredients by the lovely host. All the staff were great. We will be back and I would highly recommend this lovely pub.

• Stayed October 2011
North Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Wombwell Arms is a charming, compact and cosy gem of a pub/restaurant and well worth a LONG detour for a meal. The menu is in the ‘gastro-pub’ style with an interesting and quirky South African twist since head chef and co-owner Eunice heralds from there. In the cooler months there’s a log fire ablaze in the open hearth and generally the place is a lot less crowded which suits me just fine. But don’t be put off coming here anytime of the year as the food is absolutely stunning, and seriously, it really is well worth a drive to enjoy both the food and the pub.
Last night we settled upon two courses each, a main and a dessert because I really wanted to try the crème brûlée for pudding and didn’t think that three courses would be manageable. I had the pan-fried salmon fillet with sumac and cumin and served on a salad of baby spinach leaves, salad potatoes, cucumber, spring onion and orange segments with balsamic vinaigrette and Mrs H enjoyed the 6 oz rump steak served with garlic butter, chips and a side salad. Both dishes looked great and tasted even better. For desserts the crème brûlée can only best be described as a masterpiece, so much more than the sum of its parts and probably the best I have ever eaten. Mrs H settled for apple crumble with creamy custard which she thought could have done with a little more sweetness; I can’t say I agreed, I thought that the sweet/tart balance was sheer genius.

I was drinking the Landlord bitter which was in very good order and Mrs H had a couple of glasses of very passable house red. Will we be coming back? You bet, we’re going back tonight!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband and I decided at the last minute to have a day out at Thirsk races with our teenage grandson. We found great difficulty in finding any hotel accommodation within a thirty mile radius as there turned out to be thousands attending that event. We were, therefore, pleased when another proprietor of an Inn whom I had emailed reccommended that I ring the Wombwell Arms. Luckily he had a room available and it turned out to be just what we were looking for.
It is only fifteen minutes from Thirsk on a pleasant country road and well away from the hordes of drunken racegoers who appeared to be ready to make a long night of it at the end of the meeting. It's a bad sign when there are bouncers on every door of every pub in what is really just a small village! We were so glad we were not staying there.
The pub is a traditional Inn with a small sitting area outside and a number of rooms for drinking and eating. The landlord made us very welcome and the food was delicious. We enjoyed the spicy 'bobotie' for dinner and the traditional Yorkshire breakfast cooked to order with homemade marmalade to finish couldn't be faulted.
We slept well in the clean comfortable room with little noise from the pub or road outside. They were happy to put an extra bed in the room for our grandson without charging extra though it was a mattress with no base. It may be worth them investing in a base as some are widely available now which take up no more room when stored than the mattress and I agree with the other reviewer who said that a chair in the room would have been nice and make watching the TV easier.
I would certainly consider staying again if our luck improves (we never backed a winner!) and we can afford another jaunt to one of Yorkshire's excellent race courses!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

A one night stopover at the start of a short break in Yorkshire. Wass is a tiny village with this very old pub at it's centre. Pub & village are both very picturesque and very quiet. The evening meal, that we ate alone in the empty restaurant, was excellent as was the breakfast the following morning. The landlady/chef was very friendly as well as being a great cook. The room was fine but would benefit from a chair as there was plenty of space. Nice bathroom but the shower suffered from very little pressure and a very tricky mixer tap giving a freezing/boiling experience!
Overall a lovely place to stop before hitting the North Yorkshire moors. We just hope that there is enough business around to keep it going!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We were visiting Ampleforth College with one son and a friend from France. The telephone booking was easy and we kept the inn informed of our slow progress on the motorway up and supper was kept for us. The room was clean and we slept well. The boys enjoyed scootering around the lanes by the inn before breakfast. The breakfast was good and tailored to our requests. Well behaved dogs can sleep in the bar, we have just got a beagle so when he is well behaved he can come too............ We will be back!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wombwell Arms Inn? Share your experiences!